• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

keep a little fire burning; scyla
    Keep a little fire burning;
    however small, however hidden.

"War?!" the young colt asks his aunt incredulously. Dad has left him to spend time with Scyla after being called away to do something important and adult-y for the Guard and the armored boy has realized that now is the time to ask all of the questions he can. "What kind of game is that? Mom has taught me a little about defending myself but I still haven't had a chance to really learn how to fight." He pouts for a moment, and then he's back at it again, "But I want to! I want to be really good at it so I can beat Svedka."

He smiles up at the duo-toned woman, his ears fluttering this way and that as other sounds of Tephra threaten to steal his attention. "Is there anything you want to see? There's the volcano and the ocean and there's a little island back near the bottom of the territory," his hazel eyes watch her closely for a moment and then he prances in place, his gangly legs tapping against the soft loam, "Or I can bring you to meet Mom!"

The champagne colt turns his gaze away from Scyla and towards the coastline, where Mom is usually spending time with her friend, Ledger. He can't smell her on the wind now, but he's sure that she is there as she usually is.

"Or we can play a game," he tells his aunt excitedly, "Those are my favorite."

Smoak
    lineart colored by sanaa

@[Scyla] ♥ Sorry this is all over the place, I wanted him to have a chance to chillax with her without Dahmer xD

I'm an invisible monster,
    and I'm incapable of loving anybody.
    You don't know which is worse.

She watched Dahmer listen as the call went out, and he left them with a sheepish grin. A mild panic settled over her. She was being left alone with a child to do...something with? No one had ever trusted her with that sort of responsibility before and Scyla wasn't sure that she could handle it. Still, Dahmer was long gone and here she was with the excited colt before her. She didn't remember ever being this excited at any given point in her life. Emotions were meant to be hidden. They only showed weakness. A lesson from their Mother.

His incredulous question returned her attention to him before she was quickly baraged by a novelization of everything he wanted to do or show her. "Ok, ok ok...lets slow down here a second so I can think." She smiles at him and emphasizing thinking about what she would like to do to make a show of it. "I bet you can't beat me to the beach." It was a challenge and plus then she could figure out what was next.

It wasn't exactly like she had played with children before. With the same sly grin that Smoak's father often played on his own lips, she took off running towards the smell of salt with her wings pressed hard against her skin, vaguely hoping that it was the right direction. Worst comes to worst she would just take flight and survey the place to herself. Cheating maybe, but if there was one thing that the invisible monster was--it was a survivor and sometimes you have to cheat to survive.

@[Smoak]

(Sea-Dog x Desole)
    Half Sister to Dahmer

Scyla grins and it looks kinda like Dad's, a fact that Smoak is pleased to discover. He laughs quietly as she decides what they are to do, though his legs never stay still for too long. The bone-armored colt has been graced with an endless amount of energy, and when finally his aunt decides to challenge him, the son of Dahmer and Ellyse scoffs playfully and tosses his head into the air.

"Bring it on!" he shouts as he takes off after the steel and ice mare, his lanky legs finding their purchase more easily now that he has grown used to racing around with his twin-friends. Smoak keeps his hazel eyes locked on Scyla's wings for the first portion of their race to be sure that she doesn't plan on using them to beat him - races are very serious things for children, after all - but when he is sure that she will keep to the ground, the champagne colt dips quickly to the left and lunges his body through more tightly knit foliage and towards the ocean on a shortcut that he won't be able to fit into after his first birthday.

The large tropical leaves reach for his coat but the young colt is evasive, pretending along the way that the fronds have been placed there by his aunt to slow his progress. It's not long before the soft forest earth turns to sand and then, finally, the topiary breaks apart with a view of the ocean. Smoak whinnies loudly in victory and sprints across the sand with flailing legs before bounding into the seawater and turning his nimble frame in a semi-circle to see if Scyla has beat him to their destination.

Smoak
    lineart colored by sanaa

@[Scyla]

She stretches her limbs out, the muscles expanding and contracting and her own steady four-beat cadence was so reassuring. It calmed the panic at entertaining a child. But very quickly his champagne form leaves her line of sight and he ducks into the brush. She attempts to follow but quickly finds that she's too large for such a pathway and after a few moments she opens her wings to lift her forward and into the air. If Smoak was going to cheat then she didn't feel as bad using her wings to get to the beach a little faster.

Very quickly she saw that Smoak had beaten her to the beach, but she thought perhaps she would surprise him. After all, she was an invisible monster. She soared higher, using a convient cloud above them both to hide in. She wait and then dive bombs him. Her wings tucked tight against her and she did not fear gravity, or the possiblity of death just sparked adrenaline and the feeling of being truly alive. She waits until she's sure that Smoak has noticed her before opening her wings to catch herself on the ocean winds, and as she passes over him, she gently nudges him with a hoof. "Cheater!" A playful accusation since she obviously was also not playing entirely by the rules.

She lands and laughs, before turning around and trotting back towards Smoak. "Well now that we're at the beach, I guess I can teach you about War." She squares herself up, and straightens her head. "My mother, your grandmother, was a general and a Queen. She was descended from Queens, Kings and war heros. That is our legacy, so don't forget it. My mother taught all her children to fight starting at ages younger than you. It is good that your mother taught you how to defend yourself, but we also need to teach you how to fight for worthy causes." She refrained from discussing how his father had been a King. Dahmer's past was his own to tell and Scyla knew that as much as he loved the Subway, there was also bittersweet memories mixed into that love. "War was one of those games that taught us to fight. So we can't play that yet, BUT we can teach you the basics."

Something caught her eye...a dead seagull on the beach. The cause of death was unclear but this was the perfect first lesson. What it feels like to break a bone, or crush a windpipe. "Perfect!" She glances at Smoak excitedly. "Want to know what it feels like to break a bone?" The question hangs in the air with anticipation. The monster remembers the first Subway rat that Mother had made her kill. The crunching noise echoed in her memory. It had been the first of many and while she did not find a living creature for Smoak, she figured that a dead seagull would be close enough.

@[Smoak] *giggles evily*

(Sea-Dog x Desole)
    Half Sister to Dahmer

The steel and ice mare is nowhere to be seen. Smoak grins euphorically as he circles round and round, his champagne body pivoting on its hindquarters as he scans the beach for his aunt. He wonders, briefly, if she could have gotten lost. He takes a stride forward as if to head back into the forest and search for her as a shadow develops swiftly in front of him. The bone-armored colt throws his head upwards, hazel eyes focusing on the diving frame of Scyla.

"Whoa!" he nearly screeches, but he stands his ground as the pegasus swoops low. The wind from her wings rustles the colt's mane and he laughs freely into the ocean breeze as she circles around and nudges him with her hoof. "I wish I could fly!" Smoak yells as he trots towards the landing mare, a mirthful grin placed across his lips. "And it's not cheating, it's stategy," he offers up to the painted mare. A lesson he'd learned from Mom and Dad.

Smoak has come to know when an adult is going to bestow priceless adult-wisdom upon him, so the champagne boy listens closely as Scyla tells him of his heritage. His ears are thrust forward, his hazel eyes bright with delight and intrigue. This new knowledge rests heavy on his head, an invisible crown that he will one day be strong enough to wear. The young boy straightens his stance, squaring his legs to mirror his aunt and he holds his champagne head high as he listens.

"I want to know everything," he gushes as Scyla mentions teaching him about war - it seems a large task, one with lots of responsibility, and he is ready for the challenge. The son of Ellyse paws at the sandy earth beneath him and nods his narrow head to his aunt. "Okay, yeah, cool!" Smoak spins on his lanky appendages and bounds closer to the decreased creature his aunt had spotted.

He takes a moment to sniff the feathered thing and his upper lip curls is disgust. He lifts his fawn-colored head back up before reaching a hoof out to nudge the seagull. No movement. And stinky.

Smoak snorts quietly, bounding his forelegs onto the dead bird. It crunches strangely, its hollow bones dust beneath his hooves. He throws his head upward, hazel eyes finding Scyla with slight amusement in his face.

"Weirrrrrd. Did my Grandma make you do this? Did she make Dad do this?!"

Smoak
    lineart colored by sanaa

@[Scyla] >:]

Scyla watched her new, perhaps over enthusiasic charge square himself up, listening with such attention. Desole would of been pleased, she thought to herself though she could hardly know what the hellhound ever thought and invisible monster's opinions never counted for much. She laughs at his exuberance, "No one knows everything ever. Not your mother, or father, or even me!" She gives the playful smirk for a moment, "But I know more than your father for sure!" But he only hesitates for a moment to know what it was like to break a bone. Good. Scyla was proud that he thought about it before he broke it, there should always be at least one thought before breaking a bone. Even if it's 'I hope this hurts' or 'you brought this on yourself'. Violence shouldn't be an empty minded endeavor. There should always be a purpose.

She laughed at his response and the child-like wonder in such violence. She nods her head, "Yes, Desole made me do this and more!" She giggles again at the thought of Desole being called Grandma, "Yes. She even stole a colt from another country for your father to spare with. The first bone I ever broke was a rat under my hooves. It's one thing to break a bone of something already dead but another for something that's alive. But in real-life it's sometimes kill or be killed." She agreed with Desole in this. There was no use shielding any child descended from that steel and ice beast the harshness of the world. Their bloodline seemed to be blighted by bad luck and the darker side of the world.

She narrowed her eyes at Smoak now, tilting her head just to the side. "We'll have to figure out just how far you are in your training before we'll go hunting for something for you to call or to play War." She shifts her weight just slightly before leaping towards Smoak with her ears pinned and her teeth bared as she attempts to nip him on his flank. If she caught him unaware, it would be a light nip and she would step away from him. What better way to know how much he's been trained than to actually start a fight? Or you know, let your nephew know that you're a psychopath.

@[Smoak] with love and vampire bites!

(Sea-Dog x Desole)
    Half Sister to Dahmer