• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

when you think of love do you think of pain?; kreios
    She’s not entirely sure what she’s doing here.

She had gotten out, managed to escape from the long shadow cast by her extensive family. She had left the world of Beqanna, and Elite’s name behind and had never intended on looking back.

And yet, here she is.

She stands at the edge of the field, dark eyes looking over the many horses flitting about and chatting amongst themselves. They look so happy, so carefree. Entirely unlike how she feels inside. Just being here, she can feel her mother’s disappointment bearing down on her. Never mind the fact that she hasn’t seen the greying mare in years. To Sand, she is less than nothing. A complete and utter failure.

So why is she here? She can’t figure it out. Why would she be drawn back to this place that only holds negative memories for her? Why would she want to come back to the place where her mother abandoned her?

Sighing, she takes a few steps out into the territory. She might as well get going with, whatever this is. Perhaps she’ll join a kingdom, or even a herd (now that would disappoint her mother). She knows one thing for certain though - she won’t be joining the Valley. Her heart might have pulled her back here, but she will not go to the place where her grandmother built her cursed reputation.

She notices a patch of particularly lucious grass and settles in to wait. As she munches, she keeps one eye on the field around her. As busy as the field is, she has no doubt she will be approached soon.

(OOC: No html, we'll see how she works for me Big Grin )
    @[Kreios]

kreios

don't you tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash

There are some stories that parents do not tell their children because they hope to spare them from the harshness of the world. Lyric had never us of the Murder Pits, but she had told us of her friend Elite – a mare that had been misunderstood. I, of course, have no idea what Elite looks like – and especially not her granddaughter.

All I see is a black and white mare, standing alone and grazing in the Field. At first I nearly mistake her for the creature that had frightened Naira so, but she is smaller and definitely not a stallion. Since I see no one else with her I approach, careful to move slowly. I’ve been told I’m rather imposing and I believe it; spiraling horns, impressive height and a brightly colored hide make it hard for me to be missed in a crowd. “Hello,” I say with a friendly smile, settling a comfortable distance away from her – not too close that she’s pressured, but near enough for ease of conversation.

It had taken me a while to adjust to the differences between recruiting for a kingdom and finding mare for a herd. For the Desert, a willingness to serve and remain loyal are necessary, and the ability to fight and speak properly are always desirable. For a herd mare I need only one that is willing to live with me (and I’ve heard some stallions don’t even bother with the willingness part), and all other attributes are only cosmetic. Someone that gets along with others, I’ve learned, and who is not bothered that I cannot devote myself entirely to them alone. I serve the Desert still, and while I do split my time between the kingdom and my herd, that split time is for her herd and not a single mare in it. I’m fond of them all, of course, but each day spent as a herd stallion makes the concept of the monogamous love between my parents more and more unfathomable.

“I’m Kreios,” I add, “from Orange Country. What’s your name?”

She’s right.

Soon after her arrival in the field, a stallion begins making his way in her direction. She eyes him nervously as he approaches, taking in his rather impressive appearance. He’s a massive creature, towering well over her tiny 14 hands of height. The large, curling horns sprouting out of his head only cement the idea that this is not a stallion to be trifled with.

But, when he stops before her, the voice that comes out of his mouth is quiet and kind.

He asks after her name, and she blinks at him awkwardly for a moment. Clearly he’s made no connection between her and that cursed pink queen. Though why should she expect that he would? She knows she looks nothing like her grandmother - her mother had even lamented the fact while abandoning her. And Elite’s reign of terror had been so long ago.

“It’s nice to meet you. I … I’m Syl. From no where really.” She’s never truly had a proper home. Ever since her mother left, wandering has been her life. It would be nice though, to settle down, to not have to think about where she’s going to get her next meal. Perhaps this Orange Country that he speaks of will be the right place for her.

syl

Mer, having a little trouble with her. Tongue

kreios

Though I’m accustomed to being tall, the occasions when I happen to find myself in conversation with a much smaller horse have always made me feel a little out of place. The same thing happens with children, I’ve found, though I’ve always been comforted by the fact that someday they might be a little larger. This mare, on the other hand, seems only to grow smaller as I approach, and she is most definitely an adult. Perhaps she’ll like Sloene, I think; they can be small together.

For a moment she doesn’t answer, and I tilt my head curiously to the side. Had I said something odd? No, I think, I am always careful when I speak, and I am sure that I hadn’t said anything terribly offensive. “Syl,” I repeat when she gives her name, rather pleased by the shortness of it. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“If you’d like a home, I can offer you one.” I say, doing my best to determine if she wants to hear more. There’s no immediate disgust on her face (I hope) and I press on by adding. “The Orange Country is a nice place to live, and there are a few other mares there for company if you’d like that.” She might also like to be alone, which is also possible. The herdland, while small, is surrounded by vast canyons that are rarely explored.

She’s suddenly struck by the fact that this stallion is rather handsome. It’s a rather unexpected, random thought, and if she were human she would have turned quite red. As it is, she shuffles her feet and looks at the ground, hoping desperately that he’s not a telepath. Now that would be embarrassing.

Luckily he gives a distraction in the form of offering her a home. In his herd land, the Orange Country. The idea is admittedly tempting at first glance. If she were to join his herd, she could avoid the kingdom life altogether, and hide away from any horses that might connect her to Elite. Not only that, it would be the nail in the coffin of her mother’s disappointment - a spiteful little jab at the mare that had abandoned her. She can just imagine Sand’s face twisting in anger.

But, she doesn’t know him, even if he seems kind, and she (embarrassingly) finds him a little attractive. Should she take the risk? “It sounds lovely.” She pauses, considering. “Could you tell me a little more about it? And about the mares in your herd?” She might as well hear a little more before making her final decision. Though really, it’s not like she has a ton of other options at the moment - no other stallions or kingdom recruiters have approached. It’s either his herd or the meadow.

syl

kreios

I can’t read her mind, but it doesn’t take magic to interpret her actions. I’m not entirely sure if it’s me that’s caused her embarrassment or something else entirely. Regardless I look away for a moment, seemingly lost in the horizon, until I decide that perhaps she’s had enough time to compose herself. When I turn back she looks curious instead of shy, and I offer her a friendly smile in encouragement as I nod in response to her question.

“Of course.” I say, knowing even as a start that even a ‘little bit’ about the herd will probably be too much. I cannot help it, I think, I do like talking about things that I like. “Orange Country is located in the canyons north of the Dewdrop Desert. In the largest, a waterfall feeds a small oasis and a grove of citrus trees. There’s plenty of food and water. And Nymeria was the first mare to join me. She is wonderful, and the mother of my son Paxton. Illusen is more elusive – she prefers to be alone and you might not see her often. But they are both very kind.”

I wait for a moment, knowing that deciding a home is a thing that takes some time. “Does that sound like something you’d like?” I finally ask. “If you’re not sure, you’re welcome to just come and see it for yourself. If you don’t like it you’d, of course, be free to leave and find a better suited place.”