• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Faith is the bird that feels the light: Scorch

Faith is the bird that feels the light

when the dawn is still dark.

As was her norm, she had slipped away from the Amazons for a while once again. She was well known for it and for coming back when she was needed or wanted. She could never stay away from the 'Zons for long as there was always that mysterious something that called her back to the jungle refuge.

Malka had seen Scorch's face during the meeting and as the meeting wrapped up and each of the gathered mares began to move along, Malka gave Malyk a soft nuzzle on his shoulder before quickly shifting in her quetzal form. She paused for just a moment over Scorch's back, letting her wings hold her steadily above her friend before she slipped away. There was much to talk about, but not here among those that still remained.

Malka flitted into the trees and watched from above as her sisters dispersed, each to their own duty. She watched as Scorch was finally alone and waited for the mare to move away from the meeting ground so they could have some privacy and not be listened in on should one of the sisters abruptly return.

Once Malka felt Scorch was a safe distance from the original meeting place, she dropped from her tree perch and transformed before Scorch. "Can't get rid of me for long," she says with a small snort before falling quiet.

Malka was sure there were many things that pair needed to talk about, but she was not even sure where to start.

Malka

immortal, quetzal-shifting Lekh, Kosi & Erinak of the 'Zons

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

The Sisters trickle back into the woodwork of their kingdom until none but Scorch remains. In other kingdoms, it might be silent when one stands in solidarity; here, the chaos is never ending. Alone beneath the Grandfather tree, Scorch immerses herself in the glorious cacophony that is the Jungle. Shutting her various eyelids, the fire-woman breathes in the heady scent of sequoia, listens to the vulgarity of the talking parrots, and tastes the humidity. Even without sight, the Amazon stimulates her. It drives her to be more.

Yet some day, she shall fall.

The position of Erinak should be held by the one whom she trusts most to carry the crown succeeding her reign, yet this has not come to be. Instead, Scorch has found the position wanting; wanting someone whom she trusts herself, not someone the Jungle trusts. In this way, Malka has secured the title. Not because she will be the next Khaleesi - and not because she won’t be, mind you – but because Scorch trusts her with every fiber of her being.

”I’ll try harder next time.” The joke falls harshly from her anciently scarred lips, though those self-same lips curve into a foxish grin in the same moment. Shifting a mightily muscled and intricately scarred leg, Scorch bumps the flat of her head to Malka’s shoulder in a show of friendship. Ah, how they fit together, like mismatched puzzle pieces forced together out of sheer desperation.

”Where,” She says heavily, and with an all too serious, mature, adult look, ”The fuck have you been?”

Scorch

Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

[Image: scorch2.png]

If there was one thing that Malka wanted less in the world, it would be to be the Khaleesi. She would never know if it was something she was born with or a trait that she had acquired further in life. Her mother had been the same way, happily serving as ambassador to many queens, yet never desiring the throne and all the worries it bore. Her father, however had strove to be on the top and had been devastated when it was ripped from his grasp. Malka was content to be Scorch's Erinak. Much in the same way she had enjoyed being Ambassador to Kagarou.

It meant a lot to her to know that the queen could always depend on her, no matter how often or how little she came around. There was no pitter-pattering of feelings and both mares were free to speak freely on any matter they chose to. Many would find their relationship very unconventional, but Malka didn't care. She had always liked Scorch and though Malka knew she was her "niece" (per say, since Echion was a baby thief), she always overlooked the family ties and thought of Scorch as a very good friend.

With Scorch's not so enthusiastic reply, Malka snorts. "You wouldn't dare," she huffs as she flicks her tail across her hocks and gives her head a quick toss. Her words barely fall from her lips when the naked mare steps forward and bumps her shoulder. Malka head quickly snaps around and nips at the other mare's poll, careful though to not bite too hard as to hurt the hairless-one.

Scorch steps back and gives the paint mare a stern look as she speaks next. Malka's shoulders roll forward casually and she shakes her head. "You should expect nothing less of me at this point. I have always been a wanderer, but this Jungle will never let me leave," she says after a moments pause. Malka was sure the Scorch would understand the mysterious pull that the Jungle had on one. No matter how many times Malka had tried to just disappear (and believe me, she'd tried), she was always pulled back. "I will always be your confidant, but my rank and duties are nowhere close to indicative of my love for the this kingdom"

It was strange to consider that one could be in love with a place, yet often times so distant from it. Maybe it was her own poor love life that led to such a stance. She had never really loved anyone before (except her own children, and she really wasn't a great parent to them), so maybe she manifested her need to love someone into love of a single place. One could never really understand the depths of Malka's insanity, and maybe it was best if they didn't even try.

Malka

”The hairless-one.” You use the term as though poor old Scorchie’s baldness has forever defected her from average treatment! True, she has not sparred in far too long (considering that monarchs cannot be challenged and all) but she hasn’t been Khaleesi for that long.

Regardless, Scorch squeals at her friend’s haughty reaction, lunging forwards as Malka retreats with a loud click of her bladed teeth. It would be no good to actually harm the poor haired-one!

As planned, however, Scorch steps back and begins her reprimanding. Malka, ever the innocent one, rolls her shoulders in the horse-variant of a shrug. Scorch’s smile wanes as the mare speaks, though her ears remain tipped forward, a gesture which few receive.

“I never said I was surprised,” She chuckled, the low sound reverberating in the large clearing. “But I’m glad the Jungle has got you on a leash. There’ll come a day when I actually need you to do something besides listen to me vent.” Scorch says this lightly, for she is not attempting to undermine how valuable the quetzal-shifting mare is to her. If Malka didn’t resurface every so often, Scorch would likely go about as insane as she.

“But you’re here now, so let me ask your opinion on a matter of certain importance.” She pauses, eyeing Malka almost hesitantly. Her body stiffens, ears tilting back; clearly this topic is one she brings up with great reluctance. Alas, she must be ready for anything. She will not die like Echion, or become injured like Brunhild. She will have a plan. “Who should be the ‘legitimate’ Erinak, if you will.” It’s a sideways attempt at asking who to name the next Khaleesi, but Scorch is proud. She cannot just yet admit to the knowledge of her own failing, even if that failing comes in a future which not one of the Sisters can imagine.

Scorch

There were so many unspoken words between the two mares that were simply understood. An outsider would never truly understand the relationship that the odd pair made, nor their back and forth cross between friendship and harsh banter. They settle though and the talks go from playful messing around to more serious subjects. Scorch's words reach Malka and she is quiet but just a moment before she replies. "Me," she says, not a single bit of doubt sounding in her voice. She knows it is not the response her friend would be looking for, and she she adds on.

"For as long as I can remember, the position of Erinak (or Ambassador, or whatever other fancy title it may have had in the past) was meant for that one mare the queen could trust the most. The mare that no matter what, would have the queen's back, whether her choices were right or wrong." she starts. "Many other kingdoms use a similar rank to give position to potential heirs, but we are not like other kingdoms," she continues, her ears flipping back softly as she speaks. "Because of the bond that the sisterhood carries, I don't think the position of Erinak should ever be used to align successors. I am your Erinak, much like I was Kag's Ambassador. Kag was Quark's Erinak and my mother held a similar position multiple times throughout her lifetime -- all positions of trust, not want."A Queen needs someone she can always depend on without fear of being politically correct or offending them. she adds, only further emphasizing her point. She falls quiet for a bit, letting her words sink in with Scorch. There was a confidence in her words that one simply could not deny and Malka knew that Scorch would understand her reply. She is silent for a short while more, her tail flicking lightly against her legs before she casually continues.

"As far as future queens go though, you are very limited in your choices," she states rather matter-of-factly, knowing that Scorch was aware of such truth already and was only seeking to have Malka weigh in on the situation. "If you were to step down any time in the near future, either Rhy or Lagertha would be the only logical choices.

"They are both active, respected by their sisters and have shown their loyalty to the kingdom through many situations. They have different personalities and the Jungle has shown she could thrive well under either kind of woman. There's Lagertha's fire and straight forwardness and Rhy's more laid back and methodical mindset - characteristics suiting to their current ranking"
    she continues.

"That said, it is obvious that you hold some sort of begrudging nature towards Lagertha, yet have a soft spot for Rhy as Kag's granddaughter." Let's face it - Scorch had asked for an honest opinion and she wasn't going to get one more honest than what the paint mare was throwing at her. Nor was Malka blind or stupid in her observations. "But if you want what's best for the sisterhood, than you must put aside any personal issues or preferences you have for either mare and pick one that you feel is best suited for the position. The new queen must be one that is supported by the kingdom, not just the previous queen's desires. For you serve the Jungle, not yourself."

"It is of my opinion though that a queen must either be appointed or chosen by the sisterhood. The Jungle is not the kind of land that would take well to outsiders jousting for rank like it was some golden trophy to be paraded around once acquired. You are the only one who best knows both mares and can best assess them for their deservingness of the crown. If you do not feel you can make a strong decision for the good of the kingdom, than let the sisters choose for themselves," she continues on, obviously making jabs as the Desert's recent monarchy competition. Malka had thought ill of the whole situation from the beginning and had even frowned upon Scorch sending family to compete (though her love and duty as Erinak stopped her from ever saying such a thing).

"This is all hypothetical of course," she throws on the end with another quick roll of her shoulders. "Everything could change in the next few months if someone new were to come in or either mare were to suddenly become inactive," she finishes before she finally falls quiet, letting her head dip ever so slightly to signal her end to her side of the dialog. She was curious to hear Scorch's reply for she knew that she had not completely provided the answer her naked friend sought. Her intentional evasion of a final answer though would allow Scorch to speak and voice her own opinions in any direction she chose to.

Malka

(Sorry this is ridiculously long, but yeah - there it is <3)

Malka’s assumption that her response is not the one Scorch seeks is correct, and Scorch gives her a pointed, exasperated look at the simple reply. When Malka continues, her expression becomes placated, although continuously involved and interested. While many sisters resented Malka for her lackadaisical activity, Scorch held it not above the quetzal-mare’s head. She remembers all too clearly the years she spent frequenting the darkest corners of the Jungle; she remembers the grief and oppression which came with reality, and the fake sense of relief which the evasiveness bought her. Even now, she can disappear for days at a time. In this way, Scorch as absolutely no right to judge.

And neither does anyone else, but bitches will be just that.

She listens attentively to the Erinak’s spiel, nodding here and there when necessary. Her first bit makes utter sense to her, as it should, considering that Malka is her Erinak and not Lagertha or Rhy. The aging mare falls silent for a moment, but Scorch does not take up the thread of conversation just yet. There’s more to be said, plainly, and she needn’t distract Malka from her path of thought and subsequently, speech.

The mare frowns slightly at Malka’s bluntness concerning her opinions towards the caste leaders, but does not argue against the truth. When she passive aggressively assaults the Desert, Scorch smirks knowingly, though she’s nodding solemnly again when Malka mentions appointment via voting. She had considered this of course, and figured that if it came to it, she would allow such a situation to be procured. Despite her personal thoughts upon Rhy and Lagertha, she could not bring herself to decide between the two. She may prefer one over the other for amiable conversations, but the two were equally able of bearing the weight of the crown. In this matter, she would need the sisterhood’s voices to guide the fate of the Jungle.

Hypothetically, of course.

“Well, you know your shit, that’s for sure.” She rolls her shoulders, mirroring Malka’s movement. “Thanks,” She adds quickly, and with a tight smile. “The voting makes a shit ton of sense to me. With all the discord between me and Lagertha (and consequently some between me and Rhy), a vote would be the easiest, most just way to go about this. Right now though, I really don’t need to be worrying about this. But if anything were to happen to me… Well, you said it yourself. Rhy and Lagertha are the only options.” Her ears flicker, portraying her slight discomfort on the situation. “You would tell them that in such a situation, right?” She holds her breath for a moment before releasing it in a heavy sigh and a shake of her head.

“Besides that, the children are showing more initiative than plenty of the adults. Nayl especially. But we’ll see how that pans out.”

Scorch