• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  My Brother's Keeper
    Bragi moved slowly through the woods, looking behind himself every few steps. They had traveled hard over the last few moons, moving with as much speed as they could muster given... well, given reasons. Tired, he sighed as he noticed the brilliant tinge of pink that was beginning to paint the cold sky. They had been traveling primarily at night, and right about now was when he usually began looking for a secure place to rest. A break in the skeletal treeline revealed a wide open field, deadened grasses and withered leaves creating a dreary landscape. He paused to observe these new surroundings, curious as to where their wanderings had brought them. A moment later he yelped as the half-grown grey colt who was following him walked straight into his rump.

He spun around, taking in the newly ground-ridden form of his kid brother. Hod disentangled himself and shakily rose from the chill forest floor. He shook out his short mane, almost losing his footing again. Bragi leaned forward, resting his nose against the colt's rust-dappled shoulder.

"Sorry, I should have said something. Are you alright?" He asked after a moment. Hod lifted his head, trying to erase his recent embarrassment. "Yes, I'm fine. Why'd you stop though?" He replied, making an attempt to change the subject from himself. Bragi turned back to the treeline, the rising sun giving a rose tint to his golden pelt. He paused a moment to admire the effect. That would make an excellent ode, something about 'the Sun giving birth to he each new day, the one wrought of rose-gold and light'... A bump on his neck from Hod reminded him to answer his brother's question. "Oh... yes, I think we've come to a good place to rest for the day. It looks safe, lots of trees surrounding a grassy field. There are a few other horses around, but they're further away. We haven't been spotted yet. We're still in the trees. But the sun is coming up, and I know you're getting tired." He described things out of habit now. The ever-growing light illuminated the scene, drawing rosy stars in his brother's foggy blue unfocused eyes.

Hod did not disagree with the tired statement. The seemingly endless days of walking and stopping, marked only by vague brightening and darkening, some shadowed shapes... he was tired. and not just from the last night, he was tired of moving constantly. Bragi did his best, but there was only so comfortable he could be with the constant location changes. He sighed, ears swiveling constantly, taking in the sounds of this latest place. The smells of tree and earth and horse and rodent all permeated the air. The familiar brother-scent, what had kept him safe since birth, and was never far away. Bragi was his only constant, his only friend. He trusted him implicitly.
    "Yes. That sounds fine. Let's get some rest. And food, I'm hungry." He touched his nose to Bragi's hip, waiting for him to give direction and start moving.

They worked their way to the edge of the field, finally dropping their heads to the tasteless grass. Bragi lifted his head every few bites, scanning the area. He could see Hod's ears flicking back and forth, observing as only he could. It was a brisk morning, but the early sun felt good on their backs. Thawed some of the chill from their limbs, melting frost from their manes. They grazed in companionable silence, dozing together. Always together.

Nyxa

These useless fucking wings!

It exasperates her to no end how utterly senseless the gods were to gift her with such taxing things like wings made entirely of water. Now, in the rush of Winter, they’ve frozen solid and ache with immobile cramps from being crossed over her back. Nyxa can hardly concentrate on walking, much less on keeping them warm because as a solid, they’ve become weighted and alter her balance. Through the Field she stumbles, a plush body spun from the color cream and thick with fur against the bitter chill. She’s a yearling still, growing every day but not yet past the stage of awkward limbs and slender ribs.

A young thing, but determined like no other. When she passes by the similar duo - a Buckskin stallion splashed over with white, along with a young colt who’s not yet chosen one solid color - she only means to glance their way and continue on but something stops her, right in her tracks.

She contemplates, shuffles the wings on her back until they tinkle against one another as glass would, and turns to approach them with a soft smile. “Hello there, don’t mind me.” She prompts at first, choosing to slow once more as she nears them, “I was passing through, on my way home I guess … do you two have somewhere to go also? A home?” She queries with the tilt of her curious head.

Wayward daughter of Canaan and Circinae

@[Bragi]
    "Someone's coming, Brag." Hod mentioned through a mouthful of dry grass. The two-year old kept grazing, the constant motion of his ears the only indication that he was on alert. Bragi lifted his head slowly, taking in the vision of a gracefully built filly making her way towards them. She wove a dainty path their way, though she seemed encumbered by a glimmering mass that cloaked her back. With a pale cream coat and her brilliantly green mane and tail swaying as she moved, it was an easy thing to say she was the most vivid creature in the field at the moment. By estimation, Bragi aged her close to Hod. Both were caught in that awkward stage, where future loveliness and elegance were apparent, but rapid growth made for a body one couldn't be quite sure of. As she drew nearer, perhaps hesitantly, he noticed that the shining plates along her back were in fact attached. Wings, wings of ice... he thought, somewhat surprised. They were beautiful and delicate and they made a charming icy jingling as she moved. They also looked heavy as sin.
    "It's a filly," He murmured to Hod, before she was quite to them. "About your age. Light colored with icy wings. Made of ice, not covered in. Pretty young thing. Looks harmless enough." He commented as she paused in front of them.

Hod lifted his head, moving slowly to pinpoint the newcomer's exact location. She was breathing with a little labor, and it did indeed sound like there were hundreds of delicate icicles chiming from her direction. He also noted the very distinct scent about her. Cool, like an autumn river. It was a pleasantly clean scent, not very horse-y. Hod flicked his tail in Bragi's direction, reassuring himself of his brother's nearness as he felt it make contact.

"We don't mind at all, do we Hod?" Bragi replied. Always the one with words, the buckskin stud was the one who typically handled stranger interactions. At the next question, however, Hod decided Bragi wasn't going to do all of the talking "We did, once. Now we just walk around. A lot." He grinned slightly to himself. "Who are you? And where are you going?" He asked suddenly. A lifetime of transience had not given him the best manners. Bragi snorted at the young grey, a little affronted by this changed script. He let it go, though. Hod had been given so few opportunities to interact with anyone, let alone age-mates. This could be good for him, he thought. 

@[Nyxa]

Nyxa

“We don’t mind at all, do we Hod?” The elder stallion speaks. The kind words are unexpected; Beqanna is a harsh environment and Nyxa (with all her youthful, worldly knowledge) has seen it chew the unsuspecting and spit them out as hardened, bitter creatures. That Bragi, who’d yet to give his own name, would be so forthcoming and attentive to her intrusion strikes Nyxa quite dumbfounded while his younger peer chimes in. Her eyes, rich byzantium and sharpened from curiosity, see these newcomers cast in an entirely more appropriate light.

She likes them both. “I’m Nyxa,” She replies at first, easing closer to watch the way Hod moved. The boy seemed distant - and this is the best terminology she can muster for it - as if he looked but didn’t see her. “and I’m going to an Island nearby. Apparently my mother-” She stops, turning her intrepid gaze away before it could be construed as rude, “Well, apparently she’s relocated our family there.”

Nyxa sighs. “I suppose you could say I’ve been walking around a lot too.” The growing filly laughs suddenly, directing her attention back to the duo. Briefly, inspiration strikes her. “You know, if the both of you are up for a little more travel … I’m sure you’d be welcomed. I could use the company.” She offers, features brightening at the thought. It would be simple enough, the tide would go out and with it they could journey safely to the quiet outpost.

Ischia was just the place for them, Nyxa was sure of it.

@[Bragi]
    Bragi dipped his head politely in response to Nyxa's introduction. He noticed the way she was watching Hod, as if she could tell there was something off, but wasn't sure what it was yet. He was used to that, and he knew that if they were around her much longer, she would ask. Everyone did, if given the time. It made him angry, and sad, that how others judged his brother on his blindness. Hod was so much more than that. If anything, not seeing with his eyes made his other forms of perception that much more intense. Their sire hadn't seen it that way, however. Which is what lead them to their current nomadic lifestyle.
    "Greetings Nyxa. I myself am known as Bragi. And this," he paused to indicate his companion "this is Hod, my brother." He listened to the filly's brief description of her purpose. Ah. So here was another with familial troubles. She seemed unwilling to go into further detail, and so he did not pry. Her offer to take them with her, though, that took him by surprise. She must be hurting for company, to invite two strange stallions to be her traveling companions.

Hod felt an unfamiliar thrill at being invited along with the nice-sounding lass. She wanted them to go with her? Maybe this would give them a chance to... but no, he dared not even consider it. Bragi had never liked for them to stay in one place long. He did not think that would change now. He smiled in Nyxa's direction though, and leaned into Bragi's shoulder, mutely asking him to allow this detour. He was so tired still. Even if it was just for a few nights, getting the chance to rest would be invaluable.         Bragi returned the comforting pressure against his brother's slight shoulder. He knew how hard this travel had been the colt. He hated making life difficult, even with the best of intentions. Bragi breathed a musing sigh. He understood what his brother was tacitly requesting. He was tired too. He had spent his youth thus far as his brother's continuous guide and protector. He wanted to be young and free again... He barely dared think it, let alone speak it out loud. But it was getting harder and harder to ignore the feeling, especially as Hod had grown more independent over the last year.

This was something they needed to do, he realized. They couldn't just roam aimlessly for the rest of their lives, there was no way. "We do humbly accept your offer, lass. Lead on, Fair Nyxa, lead on!" He proclaimed at last, flashing her a wicked grin.
    Hod could hardly believe his ears. They were going?! He let loose a joyous whinny and tossed his growing mane in excitement. Life was changing quickly, and he couldn't wait to discover where it was leading them.

@[Nyxa]

Nyxa

She hadn’t meant to offend and still the brief stare is caught, all the same. Curiosity still drives her, much like it does her mother, and it’s only the longing to understand that had brought about the glance in the first place - nothing to do with cruelty or ill-tempered thoughts. Nyxa herself is incapable of being a bitch, for lack of a better term; her edges and mannerisms are rough, but only because she’s been quite literally raised among wolves and still feels the ache in her neck from looking up to twin brothers.

It makes the idea of them being brothers all the more appealing to her. “Something else we share in common.” She thinks excitedly, mirroring the quiet smile Hod flashes in her direction. Bragi is outnumbered, it would seem. Between Nyxa and his enthusiastic brother, it hardly comes as a surprise when he urges her to lead the way. “You’re doing me a favor, I assure you.” She laughs, giddy from snagging a double on her first recruit attempt.

Fate has a funny way of working out.

“Our destination is Ischia - an island offshore that’s a bit too far of a swim from here.” She explains with a slight grimace, turning her hooves in a flurry of action so that she could position herself northwest, towards the Riverlands. The sudden motion causes her mane and tail to disperse in a colorful flag of green, every strand illuminated in the glittering sun as she twirls on light feet. Her wings, still hard and immobile, dazzle onlookers with their flashing sentiments and merry noise. She’s element and nature composed in a body of flesh and blood; Made-from-Love, as jah-Lilah would say.

“So first we’ll head to the River,” She beams, glancing behind to where her newfound friends wait. With the jerk of her pale head, she motions for them to join her and then just as swiftly she’s moving ahead into a brisk walk, all earlier worries about Hod and his condition forgotten with the urgency to simply get home. “We can camp there until the tide rolls out; it’ll be safer to cross without any water.” She chitters, animated in every gesture or move she makes.

What she doesn’t mention is that, by that time, more than likely it will be nightfall. Already the brisk chill is settling into her bones, before long it might be unbearable, especially with them lumbering north.

Nervous, she lurches into a slightly faster gait with hopes of calming her hammering heart.

@[Bragi] Next post for them will be up in Ischia shortly!
    Bragi's debonair grin slipped a bit at Nyxa's enthusiastic response. She and Hod were going to hit it off wonderfully, that was easy to see. She was beautiful, or going to be when she was grown. Not that it mattered to Hod. But she had that kind of brightness to her that the colt would be drawn to. It was simple chemistry. Hod had depended on Bragi his entire life. And a small part of Bragi had though that it would always be that way. He shook himself. This is what he, what they, wanted. Wasn't it? A chance, however slim, to settle down. To make a home for themselves. He could not deny them that. And so he listened as Nyxa described the way to her home. An island. It would be safer than many places, if it was only accessible when the tides deemed it should be. He heaved a sigh of exhaustion. Just a little longer. Just a bit more.

Hod pranced in place, all thoughts of sleepiness forgotten. An Island! He whipped his head around at the whirling sound of Nyxa, having finished talking, spun around and... was she already going? He listened a moment, trying to sort out the sound. Once he decided which was she was going, he took off after her. The colt stepped forward to catch up with her, stepping as quickly as he could without stumbling until he felt a chilly aura. Out of habit, he dipped his nose forward just a couple inches more to brush the tip of his nose against her flank. She was stood lower than Bragi by quite a bit, and so his nose bumped into sharp panes of ice, her wings, instead of her side. It was a fleeting touch, just enough to orient himself. His heart gave an unfamiliar lurch at the contact, a silly grin painting itself on his face. This was going to be SO. AWESOME.

Bragi shook his head as he moved to follow the effervescent pair. This was going to be a long trip.

@[Nyxa]