• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Like a flower waiting to bloom - Circinae
    kylin
    html code by Toli, design idea based on "Dovev" by Laura

Like a flower waiting to bloom.
    The heaviness of the sand kept her from dashing forward, made her remember to keep herself collected, or at least attempt to. Just as long as she was in their eyesight. They didn’t need to know how much stress their arrival put on her.

Once she’s out of sight, safely back into the jungle, she bolts. Slim legs carry her over the trails she knows so well, into the safety she only knows. Or, only she and Kharon. It used to be their secret place, their pond, but with him gone, it would be her place now. She could hide there and wait for everything to settle. If Father or Ea would only show up..

It’s only as she’s half way to the pond that she realises that it would be too easy for her to be followed. She hadn’t snuck away, they had all seen her leave and in which direction too. Even those who weren’t known with the island would be able to track her fear laces scent. So Kylin changes direction.

Tears are clouding her gaze, but she doesn’t shed them. Instead she dives. The pond is the largest on the island, one of the few sweet water sources, and big enough to swim in. The water and her connection to it is all she had, and though it cannot wash away her sorrow, it comforts her. Sadly enough she cannot hold her breath like Ivar, meaning she has to go up to the surface again.

Her purple and white head surfaces, and Kylin draws in a deep breath. Home. She is home. And she wouldn’t let anyone take her home from her. It wouldn’t matter with how many they came, none of them knew Ischia as well as she did. Plus, the new Keeper had said they needed her. While floating in the water – her moving fins keeping her at the surface – she could only hope that Circinae hadn’t changed her mind.

@[Calcifer]

-Oh my love, don't forsake me; Take what the water gave me-

It’d been her last intention to scorn the girl, or make her feel unwanted. Circinae still remembers how she had felt when Gryffen had come for Taiga; a bit confused, mostly angry. Who was he, to just come into a place she’d made her home and call himself “The King”? Oh, even now the thought serves to make her blood boil, her adrenaline rush.

But, the situation had turned out to be a slingshot for future opportunities. Gryffen had drawn her back into herself and sent her careening among the stars, where Amet had plucked her ripely from the vine and situated a title on her narrow shoulders. Circinae had been devoted and single-minded ever since. Now she treads with confidence through the tangle of Ischian growth, a grim sort of look settled onto her features as she sniffs out the trail left behind by Kylin.

Opportunity comes to those who look for it; she’ll give Kylin this chance to open up but Circinae cannot ignore the needs of her people in favor of one brokenhearted mare. Perhaps, soon enough, Kylin will come to see her claim as something beneficial, rather than a disastrous happenstance. After all, it was her former Keeper who’d been the one to abandon hope for this place, not Ischia’s herself, or Circinae. Not even Kylin, obviously.

The murmuring splash of water brings Circinae around to the present. Halting, she raises a bright green head above the low-growing flora and peers out with curiosity to where Kylin treads water - just an attractive purple head. “Don’t swim away now, I come in peace - and alone.” Circy calls out, pushing past the few clumps of overgrown weeds so that she could stand on the pristine shore. “It’s lovely here. Does it have a name?” She asks, nodding in the direction of the pond.

For now, she’s content to ask simple questions.

Circinae

@[Kylin]
    kylin

First she had mostly just been confused. Confused that there were strangers gathering at the beach, confused by what they told her and even more confused by their intentions. Kylin had been and still was upset too. Why would someone come and take her home away, invade what had been a good life until now? And last there had been fear. Fear of what they might do, with Ischia, but also to her. Would they laugh at her, made fun of her, or use her for their own good? Would she be made to leave?

She’d fled from the meeting to get away from those thoughts and worries, but the longer Kylin is alone, the wilder her thoughts spin. Of course they wouldn’t want her here. She was only trouble to them and on top of that, the lavender and white girl didn’t think of herself as anything special. She was just Kylin. Even the water couldn’t sooth her.

But perhaps the forest green and blue mare could. Kylin doesn’t notice Circinae’s presence until the older mare calls out to her, asking her to not flee. It had been on her mind, to dive and swim away as far and fast as she could, but she’s not like Ivar. Kylin still needs to breath air in order to survive. Her hazel eyes are on the green mare as she reveals more of herself, cautious and nervous. Tears are still shimmering in her eyes.

”It has no name.. It simply is the largest pond..” she eventually answers. She stays silent after that, well, until she’s standing on top of the pond. This way it was easier to talk to the other mare, without having to swim to the shore. Water rolls down her soaked coat, dripping onto the water’s surface, as she pulls her fins against her side again (holding them like one would fold a pair of wings against one’s side). ”W-why did you.. come?”

To send her away?

Kylin is a woman in bloom. As she rises to the surface of Ischia’s largest pond, phantom-like and trailing beaded crystals of clear water, Circinae cannot help but admire the fine beauty written into every line, every curve of her youthful frame.

She’ll make a stallion proud, some day.

For now, though, they are only strangers. That light can cast a person in a harsh view, so it’s Circy’s wish that (even if Kylin resolves to deny her companionship) someday, they might be friends. The newly appointed Keeper can see the fresh workings of tears still in her eyes, notices the way the little lavender mare presses her fins defensively to her sides, and draws her head gently upwards in response to Kylin’s question.

“I came because you deserve an explanation.” The green mare replies, straightforward in her mannerisms and response. “And because I need one in return.” She adds, hoping this will spark the girls curiosity.

“Ischia has been a quiet place for some time, I’m sure you know this.” Circy begins, relaxing as she tries to summarize her endeavours. “That’s I why I came, originally. My family was expanding and Ischia seemed the perfect place to start anew.” She shrugs, lowering a colored muzzle to pick through the finery at her feet. “What I didn’t expect was the outpouring of other interested travellers, and still more surprising was your appearance.” She laughs gently, pinning her attention on the hovering girl.

“I never meant to push you out, or make you feel unwanted, Kylin.” The shifter says, all traces of humor gone. “But sometimes things happen and we can’t do anything to stop them, or control them. All we can do is try to make the best out of those situations, and that’s what I’m trying to do here.” She cements, every line of her face open to the possibility that Kylin might understand her reasoning.

“I won’t make you leave. I never would.” She says at last, once a moment of quiet has given her a breath to gather herself again. “Ischia’s borders are there for our enemies, not our friends.”

Circinae

@[Kylin]
    kylin

Drip, drop.
    Drip, drop.

The water continues to roll down her body, dripping in the water in its own mysterious and unknown rhythm. A quick shake and a downpour of more droplets later she finds herself meeting the gaze of the green mare. Circinae looked like she belonged in Ischia. As green as the jungle and dark blue like the deepest part of the sea.

And neither Father or Queen Ea were here. That realisation has Kylin glancing away, watching the water in front of her hooves. She knows she should be strong and stand on land, to meet Ischia’s Keeper properly, but she cannot get herself to move off the water. When Circinae speaks she glances up, but does not yet fully meet the mare’s gaze. That’s quickly solved once an explanation is asked of her in return.

More words follow and Kylin listens silently. Her attention is mostly focussed on the Keeper, but every so often her ears flick around, listening to the sounds of Ischia’s jungle. She can hear the parrots in the distance, the only other life on Ischia other than equine. As she listens to Circinae all she can do is watch the other mare.

And once Circinae is done, she stays silent for a short while. So much had been said, and even more to process. ”Ischia is a great family home..” she eventually offers with a small smile. It was the truth. Kylin herself had been born in Ischia, and lived happily with her family until they had disappeared one by one. Yet she doesn’t know how her own appearance had been that surprising. ”You thought nobody was left here anymore?” she silently asks. Apparently whole Beqanna knew what had happened. They all knew how everyone – almost everyone – had abandoned her. How could she have not known herself?

It was not Circinae, nor the Keeper’s arrival, that made her feel unwanted. The forest green mare had done nothing to make her feel like that. However, her arrival had caused a change Kylin had not been ready for. Still isn’t ready for, but it is not like she can pretend it did not happen. Like she had done when she had smelled Kali or other girls’ scents laced with Kharon’s.

”Ischia is my home.. It always has been..” she offers softly in return, glancing around as she relaxes a little. Realisation that she didn’t had to leave washed over her. Yes she had a place to go, but that wouldn’t make it any easier to get tossed out of your home. ”You said you wanted my help.. How?” Because there simply isn’t anything of value Kylin that has to offer.

Circinae can understand the safety of the water. It’s been her escape, even before she understood what it could mean for her. Even watching Kylin sends a thrill of longing through her bones, causes her feet to inch closer to the weedy shoreline in a hunger to feel the gentle waves slide over her body. But she won’t join the patterned girl, not now. This place is Kylin’s to hold close, (like the waterfall was Brennen’s) so she allows her the space and keeps herself from indulging in her new home.

“That’s right.” Circinae confirms, nodding gently with the girl’s question about Ischia being abandoned. “No one knew what had happened. Ischia simply fell ... silent.” The green-and-navy mare explains, hoping that this will give the native an idea about why anyone had come in the first place. Circy reckons that it must have been terribly lonely here, at one point. Only the chatter of birds to keep Kylin company while her beloved family slipped away.

Circinae doesn’t want the same for her own people, and Kylin is her ‘people’ now.

“I don’t plan on staying here long.” The mare explains. Though Jah-Lilah has accepted her offer of being a personal Watcher, and Kelsie seems eager to jump rank there too, the green mare has yet to find someone up to the task of being her successor. For some reason, she feels the need to tell Kylin this, though she’s told no other soul. “What happens after I go? Who can say … Kylin, I never needed you.” The shifter explains, peering out to the floating mare with determination in her eyes.

“Ischia needs you.” She says.

With the soft nod of her head, the bi-colored mare shifts in upon herself; from horse to wolf the transition is smooth and quick. Almost painless, these days. Blinking softly with new eyes, the little brown canine wags a happy tail in Kylin’s direction once more before turning to pad quietly away.

Circinae

kylin

It’s not this particular pond that is her special place, but it is definitely one of those she favours. Here Ivar had taught her how to swim and as a foal she had spent hours playing on top of the water with Kharon. Her favorite is a smaller one. It’s shallow, at the deepest part it would only reach to half way up her flank, at one side it had an overhanging rock with water falling down from it. It had been their – her and Kharon’s – secret place, now it was her secret placer. Her special place. And Kylin wanted to keep it like that.

It was why she had chosen to go to this pond, aware that the strangers on the beach might follow her. Her guess had been right, but Circinae’s intentions had only been good. And Kylin couldn’t refuse the mare finding a home to raise her family. After all, her own parents had done the very same thing.

And this it comes as a surprise that Circinae tells her she doesn’t plan on staying long. As a frown appears between her eyes she tilts her slightly dished head. For a moment she studies the older mare, but in the end, there is only one things she can say. ”Why?” she asks softly. When the keeper continues it only confuses Kylin more. How could Kylin know what happens after Circinae leaves?

Circinae didn’t need her, but according to her, Ischia did. The words confuse her even more, but before she can formulate a reply, or a question, Circinae the mare is no longer standing there. Instead she finds herself facing a wolf. Her initial response to that is to back away, stumble across the water’s surface until there’s more distance between them. But the wolf doesn’t come at her, and instead leaps away.

Kylin can only stare at the place where the wolf had disappeared into Ischia’s jungle. It’s not the shift or the confession that stays on her mind. All he can think about are Circinae’s last words. ”Ischia needs you.”

But how?