• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

each man kills what he loves [open]

Tauber

How the time had passed! The young colt had left behind the fluffy golden down of his foalhood, and was now entering the awkward shapes of becoming a yearling. Soon, his disproportionate body would begin to bud into the makings of a solid stallion. But that day was not today. Today he had wandered from Sylva's reach, trading the yellow-gold leaves to the darker green. How they had protected him more from the painfully bright rays of the sun! Tauber rejoiced and threw a buck into the air to release the energy.

It had only been a few months since the slaughter of his mother before his eyes. It had been gruesome. It had torn his heart out and there was months of mourning. The fear of the Sylva King grew but he did not dare to leave the Golden forest yet. Who would take in the pair of the oddly colored near-yearlings? Especially since they were raised under the nearly-all knowing eyes of the Sylva monsters. Who could trust them? Tauber doesn't worry about that now, the weight that seemed to slowly crush him in Sylva now seems easy to carry in the forest.

He missed his mother, but time heals all things and Shirad and eased the thoughts of being alone. Finally he feels at ease enough to announce his presence...because, isn't that what you're supposed to do in a strange land? His young voice echoed between the trees, sending a small flock of birds nearby to the skies while scolding him loudly. He fake shies away from them, laughing at the creatures in the forest. Didn't they know that there were far scarier creatures than Tauber nearby?

the brave man with a sword

(Carnage x Aditi)
    Twin to Shirad

Avatar lines by Bronzehalo@deviantart.com
    Coloration by Lavender
    Starlin
    At first she does not recognize the faint smell. It has been nearly a year since they’d left the forest, after all, and time passes quickly for young children. Starlin is nearly two now, and despite having spent her first six months in the ever-autumnal woods, it is not until she’s all but on top of the strange colt that she is able to put a name to it.

“Sylva.” She says as she stands in front of the buckskin and violet colt, the word said wonderingly first, and accusingly the second. “Sylva.”

The grullo filly’s brown furrows, and she lowers her pinned-eared head to glare at the younger colt.

“What’re you doing out here?” She demands. “Shouldn’t you be at A “How to Bully” lesson or something?”

Mother has said to run if she were to confront a Sylvan. They were not to be trusted. They would hurt her first and ask question later; they were the ones that had taken her first home. This colorful colt probably hadn’t (he’s too young), but he’s also the first Sylvan she’s ever come across. She shakes her mane from out of her blue grey eyes, and prepares herself for the colt to attack.
    grit & grace.

Tauber

Almost seemingly out of no where he catches sight of the grullo paint filly. She was older than him, but it meant nearly nothing to him. All legs and disproportionate at this point, Tauber had nothing to really create any fear in either. The first words out of her mouth cause his ears to prick. Did he somehow miss another Sylvian that did not seem entirely monstrous? He tilted his head as if he didn't understand. Tauber was very well aware of the reputation of Sylva, but it didn't dawn on him that someone would think of him as a monster.

Ears twitching back and forth as he shifted his weight. There were creatures out there more powerful than himself and so he swiftly fell into his shadows and circled around, watching her. His voice calls out from the shadows that kept him. "Why can't I be out here? I'm not hurting anyone." A simple question. Tauber ignores the angry jab. "I haven't hurt you." He reappears just out of reach from her, towards her right.

He was playing, the woods allowing him to see her in her entirety. Shadow-boxing for the future potentially. "I'm Tauber. Why are you so bent on fighting me?" It wasn't that he couldn't fight, and with the shadows the fight would be on his side unless she had some sort of magic he hadn't seen yet but Tauber didn't see the pleasure in torturing anyone. There was still that gentle colt in the yearling body, not without knowing loss, but with enough hope still that the world was not all that bad.

@[Starlin]

(Carnage x Aditi)
    Twin to Shirad

Coloration by Lavender
    Starlin
    The sunlight shadows dance on the forest floor, dappling Starlin’s grullo coat and providing cover for the buckskin colt. He is not impossible to see, but his not-quite intangibility is enough to have the young filly stamping her hoof huffing irritably.

“Stop that magic!” she demands, staring at where he had last vanished into a particularly dark tangle of brush. “Come out and face me like a real warrior!” Neither of them are real warriors, but the piebald filly is young and impetuous, full of an adolescent sense of superiority.

She sees movement to the left and spins to face it, certain now that he is circling her, likely trying to find the best angle of attack.

“You know why!” Starlin retorts sharply. “If I don’t attack first you’ll get me when my back is turned. That’s what all you Sylvans do.” The surety in her tone is undeniable; she believes that fully. Everyone knows that. Sylva is full of monsters and horrors; they’ll crush your skull before you can even blink, and you’re lucky if they don’t do anything else before they kill you.

He had given her his name, Starlin realizes belatedly. A trick! He wants to fool into giving her own name, so that were she to escape this run-in he could track her down all the more quickly – or worse, enlist the aid of his fellow Sylvan criminals. She won’t fall for it, she decides, but best to see if he’s on his toes as well. “Why would I want to know your name?”
    grit & grace.

So as you can tell, Starlin has an active imagination.
    @[Tauber]

Tauber

Tauber couldn't help but laugh. Someone had put some crazy notions in the paint creature. He shakes his head and watched her, the purple locks falling haphazardly over his face. The awkward, disproportionate body manages to stay still even as she continues to believe that he was some sort of monster. The ridiculousness of it all continued to amuse him. "How many Sylvan's have you met?" An honest question to ask. "Besides, most of the Sylvan's that I know would face you head on so that you can see who is beating you. They don't hide their violence the same way you are not hiding your fear."

He was startled by her nearly frantic ranting stopping and a direct question about something other than the land that he lived in. "I guess, if you're right, then you should know who attacks you right? And if I beat you in this combat you keep trying to start, then I should know who I beat right? Only seems fair." He tilts his head watching her honestly and waiting for a reply. It was his first interaction with anyone outside of Sylva.

While he did not pretend that the monsters he lived with were not monsters, they were honest in their violence, they were honest in their depravity. Tauber understood them in a way that was hard for him to explain. It was not as if he loved them, or really even admired them--but he understood them. It was their nature, just as it was his to protect those that he loved. That was the reason he was mostly nocturnal wasn't it? They watched over him during the day and at night, he returned the favor.  

@[Starlin] OMG, I love them together! This thread amuses me so much! <3

(Carnage x Aditi)
    Twin to Shirad

Coloration by Lavender
    Starlin
    His laugh is unexpected, and it startles a snort from the grullo filly. How many Sylvans has she met? At that she gives her own snort of laughter. Enough. That is how many she had met.

She had seen the state of Tantalize; Starlin knows what they do to women in the woods of Sylva.

Tauber speaks of being faced head on, as though that reassurance does anything to minimize the acknowledged violence. Does it matter how one is attacked, if they are attacked all the same? No, she tells herself firmly.

The other horse has been standing still long enough for her to get a good read on where he is standing. When she positions herself to face him though, she looks lightly to his right, as though she is incorrect.

“Show yourself.” She demand with adolescent entitlement. “Show yourself and then I might give you my name.”
    grit & grace.

Tauber

Tauber wondered if he should show himself or simply slip into the shadows and head back to his golden forest, where at least he was accepted by the monsters that go bump in the night. He was tempted to go at least find Shirad and see if his twin sister could talk some sense into this girl. The idea that the world was so black and white was a mystery to him. Long ago he had realized that not everyone was good, nor was everyone bad in Sylva. There were small, redeeming characteristics in the adults of the golden forest. Some were smaller than others. Some creatures he still actively avoided. Regardless, he took a step back, being far out of any sort of reach to Starlin, and he released the shadows from his wielding.

He still stood within the shadows and shade of the forest--none too keen to show his own weakness to a filly who was older than him and perhaps hellbent on damaging him. "Fine. Here I am." He pouted, as if his showing off had been ruined by her stubborn refusal to play with him. Were all girls like this? No. Shirad wasn't. They were always kind with each other, and even in play fights, no one was seriously hurt. Or if they were, there as always an immediate stop and apologies made. This girl in front of him apparently had never learned about those interactions.

Tauber stood squarely, and watched her, still curious about her. "Where are you from anyways that you think I'm so bad?" He didn't bother to lump in the other misfit toys of Sylva. He knew that some of them were awful and understood her fear of them. Regardless, it did bother him a fair amount that someone thought of him so lowly. Tauber did not think of himself as a monster, but perhaps he was without knowing it.

@[Starlin]
    Starlin
    The shadows fall away from him – or rather, he lets them fall – and the stranger is left standing in the woods.

Huh.

He does’nt look nearly as terrifying as she’d imagined. His invisibility had added layers of suspicion, but as he stands in the woods pouting at her, Starlin finds that he is not so very scary at all. Younger than she is, but not too much smaller.

“Thank you.” She replies to his admission of visibility, but the words lack some of the sass that she had intended. It is difficult for the stubborn filly to admit that she might have been wrong, so instead she continues to scowl at the purple-maned colt.

“Nerine.” Starlin replies to his question. “and I’m Starlin. I know you’re bad because your people took Tantalize and tortured her. Good guys don’t do that.” The grullo filly has been fed a detail-less story of her fellow Nerenian’s capture, but it was enough to cement the information in her head. Sylva was bad now that Mother had left it; the wraith king was causing it to rot from the inside out.
    grit & grace.