• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Updateeee
    I know I promised updates, but labor is no joke and I've been basically dead on my feet since Wednesday night, but here is an (overdue!) update! Might be tmi-ish and gross, so if you want you can just skip to the cute pictures here. <3

I got to L&D at 5pm Wednesday night with no problems, got into a room and they inserted cervidil around 6pm. I was still barely 2cm, 50% effaced, -3 station. Contractions started almost INSTANTLY. Not rough contractions at the time, but contractions all the same that were super uncomfortable. Also, hospital beds make for awful back pain, and it didn't help that I started laboring in my back as well. I was miserable and in pain all night, despite the wonderful overnight nurse giving me loopy meds so I could attempt to sleep... I was up every hour or so and just miserable.

The cervidil fell out on its own sometime between 3-5am, during one of my potty breaks. My OB got to the hospital to check me around 9, and boy was that miserable. I was in so much pain that just her checking my cervix had me writhing in pain and bawling my eyes out. Not fun. From 6pm-9am I labored from 2cm, 50% to... 3cm, 80%. Thankfully though, she told them I could go ahead and get the epidural and pitocin (there was no way I could have labored as long as I did without the epidural, and I applaud moms who went without bc HOLY SHIT), and it was pretty much smooth sailing from there.

My OB was due to arrive back at the hospital around 5pm, after office hours ended, as she expected I'd be still laboring then. The plan was that as long as I was 4-5cm, she'd break my water and baby girl would arrive soon after. As such, a nurse checked me at around 4pm. I was only on the base dose of pitocin so I hadn't expected much progress, but I had gone from 3cm to 7cm! All of us were absolutely aghast.

As it were, my doctor didn't arrive back at the hospital until around 6:30. I'd had another check since then and had gone to 8cm, and the nurses were started to get worried because my water hadn't broken on its own and Iris's heart rate was getting crazy high during contractions. They didn't know if she was distressed, but from 4ish to my doctor arriving was incredibly stressful. Literally as soon as she checked me, she told me she'd be breaking my water and then I'd immediately be ready to push. Holy crap guys, I wasn't ready to be told that. I'd been having awful heartburn and the IV meds they gave me had done absolutely nothing and I was about to push a baby out. Oh man I was panicking a little.

I pushed from 7pm to 7:44pm, which is when she arrived. I had to get an episiotomy and recovery has been an absolute bitch (how do I even sit?), but guys oh my god. She's perfect. Ross and I both cried our eyes out the moment we met her. He calls her "little rainbow" which I think is just beautiful and perfect and oh my god I just love her so much. We're currently supplementing with formula as she's a hungry little thing (she eats ~2oz every 3 hours) and I'm not producing much colostrum right now, but hopefully once my milk comes in she'll be good as gold. She was 8lbs 2oz, 21.5 inches at birth with a HUGE head--hence the epi. Thank god I had the epidural because I'm not sure I could have stomached labor without it! We came home after just 24 hours and though it was a little overwhelming at first, we're getting the hang of things. <3
    clarissa | cirilla | dawn | frenzy
    bewitched | chalkydri | folklore | paradox | phobia | sunset

Pitocin is no joke.
    I had a failed induction (29 hours; 19 of which were on Pitocin) and omfg. I could handle normal contractions (I had some prior to induction) but NO WAY could I handle Pitocin contractions. Congratulations mama, I’m so glad it was such smooth sailing for you. Your daughter is absolutely precious. Hold onto these moments - even the exhaustion and pain and sleeplessness. You’re going to miss these moments. Cherish it all, record her little quirks and silly baby nonsense and take plenty of pictures.

Time goes by so quickly. Stare at and love on that baby as much as you can!
    Hoping for a quick and full recovery and a full and healthy milk supply too!

Heart Merry Christmas!
    Thanks for the update and happy birthday Iris!! Wishing you speedy recovery and great health all around. Happy Holidays!
    Aw yay! Congratulations on baby Iris!  Heart
    No shame in getting an epidural and pitocin but once again, yay!
     KEEPER/PECULIAR 
    (and others)
    Way to go mama! I'm glad you get to be home with your new squish for the holiday. Snuggling a brand-new baby is really a great Christmas present. I wish you a speedy recovery <3
    Congrats Affy!