• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Confide in me, darling - any

Half of my heart knows just what it wants of me

The sea was cool, calm. Gulls and parrots cried out in constant cacophony, nearly drowning out the metronome of the water. Sand crunched beneath his hooves, a gentle breeze teased and pulled the dark locks of his mane and tail. With a great inhale, he took in the scents around him. Brine, fish, coarse sea grass, his own dusty skin. These and a hundred other minute odors marked his world. Sound, scent, touch, these were enough to tell the blind youth where he was.

Hod lay down on the beach, the brightness of midday drowning out the vague shapes he could sometimes make out in less intense lighting. It didn't make much difference, if he was being honest. He'd lived here going on a year now, and had become quite familiar with the main island's layout. Enough to move from one place to another with little trouble, outside of unexpectedly fallen trees and the natural erosions of the shoreline. He was familiar enough to call this home.

A splash of russet marred the shoulder of his  otherwise flawless pale grey coat, deep charcoal painted his crest and tail. It was the pale cobwebbed blue of his eyes, though, that made him so distinct. They saw nothing, never had. Yet he did not miss much.

It had been days since he had last seen Nyxa. The little seamare served as both his eyes and his best friend most days, but he recognized the hold the ocean held over her, and she spent as much time beneath the waves as she could get away with. Still. She had never been gone overnight without warning him first. It had been almost a week now since she had last walked the shores of Ischia. She was strong and clever... And so, so naïve. It was part of why he loved her, but deep down he knew it would get her in trouble one day. Hopefully that wasn't today.

Fighting off that gutsore feeling of trepidation,  the young stallion rose to his feet again, treading along the brink between earth and water. He loved the rush of the waves over his fetlocks, almost as if the sea was trying to draw him in. If only he could, and explore the world beneath the waves, a world he'd only heard about. A rhythmic crunching drew his attention. He feared nothing on this island, had yet to make any enemies. He simply paused, knowing by the weight behind the steps that it wasn't Nyxa. She'd have been chattering his ear off by now, anyhow.

"Who goes there?" He queried, ears twisting back and forth in an attempt to gather more information. The scent wasn't one he immediately recognized, and so he waited for the stranger to identify themselves.   .

Krone couldn't shake the feeling of Klaudius off her skin. Although she was sure by now it was gone (her encounter with Deathwish and countless washings in the ocean had long since masked the smell of rape off her body), she still felt like she could feel his body crawling on top of her, pulling her in, taking advantage of her. 

It was a hard thing for the Keeper to take. She had been assaulted, what kind of leader gets assaulted? It was a constant nightmare, something that she couldn't  forget, no matter how hard she tried. 

He was still there, in Ischia, watching her, and she had a plan to get rid of him. in time. She reminds herself. In time. 

Her estrus season has come and gone, and she feels like herself again (save for the pit of despair in her stomach, where Klaudius' silver eyes linger. She hopes the feeling will pass). Autumn is nearing its end, and soon winter will arrive. Not that it really matters anyways (Ischia was always warm, humid, and otherwise tropical). The sun is bright today, reflecting light off her jewel, and she tries her best to cover it with her forelock as to not blind any unsuspecting strangers.

She sees him from afar, he is gray with a splash of russet, and she remembers him from the first meeting she called (Hod he had introduced himself).When she had announced herself the Keeper, when he had vowed to stay. She smiles warmly at the memory, despite the bad that had happened as of late, the good memories outweighed them. 

He questions her as she strolls forwards and she chuckles. "It's just Krone," She informs, deciding to grow closer to him. She hadn't had a chance to talk to him yet (for that, she blames herself), so she decides today is as good a time as any.
    Krone
    you could be the King
    (but watch the Queen conquer)

@[Hod]

It's just Krone.

Ah, the Keeper. Circinae's replacement. It was Circinae who had welcomed him to the island, offered him a home here. For that, he owed her much. A piece of him regretted not getting to know her better, for never thanking her properly. Another piece hated the wolf mare for the hurt her disappearance had caused her daughter. It was too late now to fix that loss. Here, though, was a new opportunity to develop a rapport with Ischia's new Lady.

Dipping his regal head respectfully, the young stallion regarded the woman before him. She wasn't much older than him, he knew. And from the timbre of her voice, he could sense her lack of confidence. This new job had her shaken, or perhaps it was something more? She had seemed ready enough when the island's inhabitants had been called to meet their new ruler. What had changed?

His head tipped to one side, listening to the ambient sounds of the land and sea. There was peace to be found here, if one bothered to look. Perhaps that's what had brought the young leader here to begin with.

"Hail, Krone. I don't know that we've met properly? I'm sure you know already, but I'm Hod. This stretch of beach is where I usually spend my days." He explained, referencing the sea strand and the small rocky alcove it joined before reaching the cliffs. "What brings you here?" He asked lightly, knowing that she could move over the island as she pleased. It was just so uncommon that anyone but Nyxa visited him here.

Truthfully, he welcomes the diversion. His upbringing made him no stranger to loneliness, but sometimes... sometimes it got difficult. Bragi was gone, assumed dead. Nyxa was so dear, but undeniably a child. Who could he talk to beside himself that would understand some of the deeper corners of his mind? He was lonely. It was a troubling realization.

@[Krone]
    She is cold, oh so cold, so cold she is numb. The life of a leader was a lonely one (or had she always been lonely?) and she spends much of her freetime attending to kingdomly duties, trying to keep her mind off the irrevocable, inevitable solitude she so often feels.  She doesn't know what its like to have friends (she's never had any), or anyone in her life that cared enough about her not to use her to gain what they wanted (like Klaudius, using her body as a field to plant his seed). 

Although she tries, she knows she will never (and can never) be what Circinae was (compassionate, strong, loved) and on days when she feels so broken and tired, she realizes this. Everyone expects her to be like the emerald queen but she is not, and it was a hard pill to swallow. She herself just wanted to be good enough, would she ever be?

The dip of Hod's head and his kind words gives her the smallest smile. "Explains why I haven't seen you around as of late," She murmurs, letting out a soft chuckle. "This side of the island isn't usually on my rounds, but I'll be sure to come around more often." She starts to wink at him, but after realizing he will not be able to see it, lets out a sigh. 
    Krone
    you could be the King

@[Hod]

A genuine smile lifts the corners of his pale lips, warm and sweet. "The Keeper of Ischia is always welcome. I may not see too much, but my hearing is excellent. I'll listen to whatever you feel comfortable talking about." He stated, and he meant it. He was nothing if not a good listener. He preferred it that way, absorbing the stories of those he'd met over his short lifetime.

Rocking back on his heels lightly, the faded grey stallion was quiet for a moment, thoughtful. His head turned towards the open ocean, ears pricked expectantly at a splashing sound. A beat passed before he turned back to Krone, holding back a sigh of disappointment. He hadn't meant to chase Nyxa off, when he's told her he needed a bit of time to himself. Well. Maybe he had, he didn't know anymore. If she wasn't here, it was because he'd requested that. And she was a good enough friend to listen. That prickling in his gut was just a natural reaction to going without her  presence for longer than he was used to, wasn't it? That girl was like an addiction.... one he wanted to lose himself in.

Exhaling hard, he returned his attention to the queen standing before him. "I have a problem, that I think maybe you can help me with." He said a bit suddenly. "I'm in desperate need of a job. Something to do. I promise, I'm not as useless as I may look. As long as I'm on the island, I can get around fine. If there's anything I can do for you, for Ischia..." trailing into silence, he waited, hoping she wouldn't laugh him off. He wanted to do some good for his home, and wanted to prove himself to those who lived here. He was no longer in Bragi's shadow. He could, and would, become more than the lost, blind little boy he had always been. If only he was given the chance.

@[Krone]
    The winter wind blows gently through her emerald mane, and she allows Hod his time to talk, quiet and attentive. His voice is nervous, a bit shaky, and she smiles a bit - what did he have to be anxious about? She was always willing to listen to her citizens, and help in any way she could.

"I have a problem..." The words he speaks causes her ears to flick up, hinting at her eagerness to find what is wrong. "I'm in desperate need of a job...I'm not as useless as I may look..." She chuckles a bit, coming up to his cheek and touching it, a friendly gesture at most.

"I don't think you are useless, Hod," .The thought of him thinking of himself that way makes her sad. "And actually, I think I just might have a job for you. Come with me." She murmurs, stepping away from him to take a walk along the beach. Her steps are leisurely, and she notes the warmth of the sun on her dark hide, how the trees rustle in the breeze, how the sand feels beneath her hooves.

"Ischia is home to many of different personalities, different views," She tells him, looking over. "I keep her borders open, I want many different kinds of horses here. Diversity, I believe, is a good thing." She pauses for a moment, thinking of her next words. "She needs more people to inhabit her. If you can find me some new faces, I will see to it that you have a promotion."
    Krone
    you could be the King

Milky blue eyes blinked slowly in the Keeper's general direction as she considered his words. A soft chuckle rumbled in his chest, accompanied by an abashed shrugging of shoulders. "To be fair, I don't think I'm useless either. But... missing a sense tends to put others off." He spoke matter of factly, smiling faintly at her gentle touch.

Dove grey ears twitched at the sound of sand crunching beneath hooves. She was walking up the beach, it sounded like. He missed the familiarity of Nyxa, and of Bragi before her. The casual touches that meant he was never lost. A heartbeats-worth of delay as he reassured himself of the leader's direction, and he followed suite. Stepping cautiously until he was abreast of the woman, he took his turn listening to her speak.

Enjoying the crisp breeze blowing in from mainland Beqanna, he nodded as she voiced her desire for diversity within the kingdom. It was nice to know his queen held such beliefs. Her next words simultaneously excited and frightened the stocky man. He was certainly not going to find new kingdom dwellers already within the kingdom. His neck made a graceful curve as he faced into the breeze coming off the channel. "If that's your will, it will happen." He promised, excitement and trepidation vying for dominance in his tone. He had grown comfortable here, perhaps it was time to test that comfort. Venturing out would certainly do that. Before that, however, he needed to find Nyxa. Perhaps this was an adventure she'd like to take part in.

Grazing Krone's shoulder lightly with his pale velvet muzzle in gratitude, he pawed the warm sand jovially. "So, how do you like queenhood? They say you were chosen by a magic shell. I think I may have met this shell as well. It showed me something beautiful, but I'm glad it didn't choose me. I haven't got the talent for leadership like it must have seen in you."  

@[Krone]
    Time waits for no one, and as Hod catches up with her and mentions how the shell had found her, she lets out a soft gasp. It had almost been a year, hadn't it? She blinks for a few moments, remembering that day, remembering the beautiful things the shell showed her. She remembers how it is still planted firmly in between her forehead, glimmering in the sunlight, showing all who wander near what Ischia is to her (Ischia is her, living and breathing beneath her chest).

"Truthfully, I'm not sure what it found so intriguing about me," She admits, sighing. "But I am glad Ischia chose me as its Keeper. Save for a few less than pleasant altercations, I do enjoy it. I can only hope my citizens view me with such indulgence." The gentle brush of his muzzle against her shoulder is welcome, and it makes her feel oddly comforted (something no other horse had ever given her). She allows her own muzzle to touch his neck, a sign of a friendship that was blooming and perhaps one day would flourish like Ischia's jungles.
    Krone
    you could be the King

@[Hod]
    He had been rambling, and he knows it, yet she doesn't seem to mind. Instead, she picks up the thread of his conversation, and speaks it further. He likes her voice, he realizes. It's sweet and musical, lower than a young girl's, filled with passion when she speaks of her homeland. A queen's voice, he supposes. With his thick, dark forelock cloaking his eyes, he stares at her sightlessly. More feeling her presence than anything else. By her soft body heat, the sound of air passing through her lungs, the quiet shushing of fine sand beneath her feet, he knows she's there. Her words, however prettily said, do not all sit well with him, though. "Altercations? No one's hurt you, have they?" A crease of concern grooved the space between his eyes, the corners of his mouth suddenly tightened with worry. Sometimes he wished he were as dynamic as his brother, brave enough to charge into danger, to fight off the dark shadows of foes. But he was himself, and he was learning, slowly, that he had his own brand of courage. Picking fights was not his thing, but defense of someone who needed it? Someone he cared about? That was another matter entirely. Nyxa sprang to the front of his mind. Carefree, and often care-less, she needed someone to look out for her. Even if she denied it, usually loudly. A fainter outline stood next to Nyxa's defined one. The outline of a girl with an island on her shoulders, and maybe wolves at her door. With a light exhale, he smiled towards her, whisking tendrils of hair from his face as he did so. "I'm sure you've got plenty of queenly things to attend to. And I need to prepare to travel. But... I'd like it, if you'd like it, if you'd visit me again." The sentence finished awkwardly, hanging in the air with obvious question marks. He wasn't sure why he'd it, just that he like Krone, liked her mannerisms and her kind voice. And that he truly wouldn't mind another walk with her some time. A tickle at the back of is mind nudged him, twined with the briny sea scent that so reminded him of the sea filly he loved so much. A drop of guilt settled like a pebble in his stomach.

@[Krone] <3
    Krone likes to keep her private life away from strangers (Hod was technically a stranger, right?), and she always had been. But when Hod questions her about her altercations, she is hesitant to lie. Her voice wavers as she stumbles over the words. "Some...not so friendly visitors..." She murmurs to him, head turning away to try to mask the quiver of her voice. Queens don't cry, she doesn't cry, so what was it about the incident with Klaudius that made her so damn emotional?

A westward breeze blows through her emerald tresses, and she looks up to see the once blue sky turn a nasty gray. Dark and foreboding, much like how her mind felt sometimes. She looks towards the waves, which are picking up pace, beginning to crash violently against the shoreline. "I wouldn't be much of a queen if I let you travel in this weather," She says to her companion with a short laugh. She touches the russet of her shoulder, pulling him away from the shoreline. "A storm is coming. We need to go inland, save your trip for a safer time." And while her reasoning is true, she has other motives.

She doesn't want to be alone. Not now, not when she is so vulnerable. Not when the sight of Klaudius makes her stomach turn. A friend, yes, that's what she needed (she's never had one). She leads them up a hill towards the green of the forest, looking back every so often, hoping he will continue to follow.
    Krone
    you could be the King

@[Hod] <3