• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  The smoke will lead you home
    Daydreaming can be a poetic, beautiful thing. Wound’s childhood was spent in the fabrication of her waking dreams. She would flutter between reality (the protective stares of her brothers, the chill of the shadows, the silence of their isolated grazing pastures) and her own fantasies (a mother who would stroke her hair, a father who would nip at her heels in playfulness, friends to go on adventures with, butterflies dancing along between her ears and along her shins).
    There is something wonderful about seeing the world through an innocent eye. Wound cannot say she is entirely corrupt — she has seen both the good and the bad in this world — but she is no longer the pure little wanderer she was only a year ago. Tephra has changed her, for the better to be sure, and she is rather pleased with what she has become as of late.

She appreciates the way their eyes dance over her leg before darting back to her face. Although she knows the way their eyes shift is quicker than it should have been (an effort to protect her pride which used to shatter it regardless), Wound has come to acknowledge that her disformations will always make others uncomfortable and she will simply have to live with it. Her smile is warm despite her struggles, especially at the sound of the ghostly mare’s name.

“Saedis is a gorgeous name.” Her attention is diverted back toward the other mare, who also gives her own name in turn. “Another dazzling title.” They both have such delicately-woven names, handpicked from a basin of words that sound both royal and romantic. A fleeting moment of jealousy twists through her gut — Defect had given all of her children stiff, undelightful names that only reminded some of blood and gore and machinery. Little did Wound know, one of her newfound friends thought her name poetic. She might have giggled if she knew.

Saedis is angelically innocent in her knowledge of men and a tendril of motherly concern worms through Wound’s stomach. She reminds herself that there are worlds in the Beyond that she will never know — worlds which might hold no men at all, or perhaps only kind-hearted, gentlemanly men (her thoughts flutter toward Warrick but she roughly shoves them away). “It’s a delicate art, protecting yourself from them. I mostly just show that I don’t want anything they have to offer and they’ll leave me alone.”

Wound thinks about offering Tephra as a sanctuary for a brief moment, but Enniska’s question diverts her thought process. “This world we live in is called Beqanna. It’s home to many different personalities, some of which have formed kingdoms where we live that we guard and protect. The kingdom I belong to is called Tephra.” She pauses, gesturing with her nose toward their surroundings. The Field looks tranquil at this time of night (the moon alights the snow banks with an ethereal glow and it’s quite aside from the occasional huff of a wanderer or two).

“We’re standing in the Field right now. It’s a neutral common-ground, but most people wander in here if they’re looking for a home.” Her gentle coffee eyes turn back toward the two mares, another warm smile tugging at her lips. “I’m sure this might be very overwhelming for you, so if you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.”

(Sorry this took me so long to reply back to! I've been swamped with homework <33)

Messages In This Thread
    The smoke will lead you home - by Saedìs - 01-01-2018, 04:21 PM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by Enniska - 01-06-2018, 12:08 AM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by wound - 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by Saedìs - 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by Enniska - 01-10-2018, 05:51 AM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by wound - 01-19-2018, 11:38 PM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by Saedìs - 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by Enniska - 01-26-2018, 11:28 PM
    RE: The smoke will lead you home - by wound - 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM