• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

For there is no need || ANY
    "Mother I think I am afraid."

The young girl stands alone at the top of the cliff, staring longingly into the water that crashed unto the rocks below. She wishes silently, that she had wings. Perhaps, if she had wings she could soar over the ocean and feel free. For if she had wings, she would not be stuck here so pitifully alone. Her mother had gone many hours ago, parting ways (as hard as it was) with her only daughter. 

"Mother, please..."

The child's heart is gripped in some unbearable sadness, it was as though her mother had died. She shook with such intensity that her knees buckled, sending her into the brown rye beneath her. The earth welcomed her with open arms, cradling the sobbing girl as if it understood what had happened to her.

All children went through it, the moment in which their mother left them to their own adventures. Lavendel just hadn't expected her day to come so soon. She thought they had been happy, spending their days roaming Beqanna in search of great adventures. 

She recalled quietly upon the days when her mother sang to her by the ocean, their forms protected so well by the beach caves. She recounted the many hours spent in the meadow chasing butterflies and rabbits with fluffy cottontails. 

Memories that should have brought her joy, only brought her immense sadness. 

She continued to cry.

"I dont want you to go."

The girl awoke many hours later, allowing her limbs to pull her upward. Once more she found herself staring into the sea, but her eyes saw something new. No longer did they see the quiet pull of desperation, but they saw the soft lull of something exciting and new. The world called her name in a hushed tone only used in wonderful games of hide and seek. 

'Come find me Lavendel... I'm waiting'

The waves seemed to whisper to her as she turned her pale bodice from the white-capped abyss. Newly strengthened limbs pulled her pridefully away from the cliff and into the hills beyond. She was excited to see what the world had to offer her, and her alone. While she loved her mother, she didn't need her. No, not now.

"Do not be afraid sweet daughter of mine."

She traveled for days, allowing the earth to excite her, to show her things. She felt renewed, she felt free. It was many moons into her journey when she came across the autumn kingdom, the land of trees that stretched far into the crystal skies.

Lav felt it a curious place to be so golden and warm in the dead of winter. Being so young, she didn't consider the fact that certain scents and signs would tell her where she had wandered to was a kingdom.  The honey-colored girl was too enchanted with he sights to care if she had known!

"What a beautiful place..."

She whispered, enamored with the sights.

"There is no need to fear such a beautiful world..."

~~~~
    ((OOC: all italicized things are sorta flashbacks <3))
    [Image: lav_by_heyyou80-dc01t5i.png]
    L a v e n d e l
    The woods were quiet. It was not a bad thing, the quiet, though Sabra dreamed of the day when laughter echoed from the trees to mingle with the constant birdsong. She had grown used to the cacophony of parrots during her time in Ischia, had come to enjoy it, even. The cheerful whistling of finches and larks were a different kind of music, but one that spoke of home to the jewel toned woman. She had been born in a wood not dissimilar to this one, though the forest of her past had not held on to its autumn plumage year round. 

Her woods were empty, or nearly so. A strange gift this had been. Her mother had groomed her from birth to be a leader, with no reason to believe it would ever come to anything. Just so, should the opportunity arise, her daughter would be ready. Perhaps this has gone to the pale lady's head. Ischia had been a bad move, for a number of reasons. In trying to escape from her missteps, she had come here. And with that escape had come her freedom. 

This was her home and her queendom now, and she sought to be familiar with it. In the first days she had flown over the land, acquainting herself with its lay. Now she grew too heavy with the life burgeoning within her to leave the ground, and so she walked instead. Her wanderings had yet to bring her into the presence of others, and so it was a bit of a shock when today offered something new. 

Through knarled walnut and thick beech trunks she saw her, wide eyed and alone. A girl, quite young, looking as though she was not quite certain how she had come to be in this place of burnished trees. Her quiet words carried to the winged lady, creating a smile on her delicate pink lips. "It is beautiful, and it stays like this year round, if you can believe it. My name is Sabra, what's yours?" She asked while emerging from the woods to face the girl. 

The jeweled colors that had been emerging from her coat since her child's conception were now more predominant than her native tones. Flame like reds and oranges shimmered along the length of her mane and tail, a reflection of the autumnal tones that surrounded them. That change, as much as anything, made her feel that for once, she was in the right place in the right time. With her newfound regency, perhaps she could help this lone girl find her right place as well.
    The trees waved too and fro, releasing their rudy soldiers occasionally to float about the girl's head. She felt like a princess from the stories her mother had told her of the old Beqanna, the many leaves her own subjects and friends. Oh, how delightful it must be to have those! To have one to confide in no matter the urgency.

"It is beautiful, and it stays like this year round, if you can believe it. My name is Sabra, what's yours?"

The voice floated gracefully to her perked ears, lilting through the wind with quiet interest. Before she had been on her won, she may have been frightened. Though all the fear that once resided in her heart had been placed aside, moved to make room for the new found love she had for her homeland.

The innocence could find no hatred or contemplate betrayal. 

"Lavendel, but my mother called me Lamb."

To others, it might have seemed strange, for the nickname had nothing to do with the beautiful roots of her mothers first choice. The truth was it had everything to do with the girl herself. It was as though Faible had known her child would harbor nothing but love and admiration, much like the kind animals of her namesake. 

"Your wings are very pretty.."

She whispered, staring in awe. She had only seen such brightly colored feathers on birds, and oh how Lamb loved birds. The woman before her seemed kind, a friend perhaps if she played her cards right. 

'Be respectable, even if your company is not.'

She recalled the words her mother spoke to her on the way to their final destination. She had not known then that Faible was trying to prepare her for life on her own. Life without her.

"Can you fly?"

Briefly, she allowed the child within her rear its little head. She was allowing herself to be as free as those birds she loved. 
    L a v e n d e l
    -She wore a smile like a loaded gun-

The filly looked at her with no hint of fear or worry. There was such an aura of innocence about her, that the lady was not even slightly surprised to find out the girl had been called Lamb. It suited her more than the flowery moniker she offered first. However, the first name, Lavendel, was one she could see the child growing into as she matured.

"Well, I think I will call you Lamb as well, if that's alright with you."

She replied amicably. The great cloak of her wings fluttered, pleased with the child's admiration. If there was a flaw to Sabra's character, and there were several, vanity lead the pack. But the sweet way in which Lamb was looking at her wings endeared her to the woman in a way she didn't know how to react. Perhaps it was the little life inside her that made her feel this way, but she wanted nothing more than to take this little lost lamb under her wing, so to speak. A silvery laugh bubbled from her, as she opened the expanse of her wings, so they could be seen properly.

"Yes, I'm rather fond of them myself. They serve me well. When I'm not trying to haul around a passenger." She admitted with a hint of dolor. Her baby was so close, she could feel it, and it couldn't come fast enough now. She missed her open sky with a lover's passion. A heavenward glance emphasized her point. Only fragments of sky were viable from where they stood, turning the canopy into a brilliant patchwork of blue and orange and gold. A light sigh, and she looked back at the splashed girl.
    "Tell me, Lamb dear, would you like to live here, in Sylva? That is the name of the land you're standing in now. We could use a heart like yours in these woods." She spoke, looking her in the eye as she did.

Sabra

@[Lavendel]
    Part of her ached when another called her that name.

Lamb.

Though the larger part of her was overjoyed, intrigued with the word spoken from another's lips. She steps forward cautiously, as not to invade the pleasant mare's space. The movement isn't large, but it is noticeable. 

"I do not mind at all,"

Her words are stronger than before, though still have that baby soft edge. The mare proceeds to tell Lam she is expecting a child of her own. Maybe her mother was as well. A small smile lit her features, pale lips upturning at the thought. 

'How proud your father would be of you little lamb...'

SHe recalls then the children she had met in the earlier days of her life. The games they would play deep into the evening. She tucks the memories away as her companion begins to speak, inviting her to stay for a while. To make a home in the autumnal forest. 

Her crystalline gaze wanders over the trees and the towering boulders that shrouded them. One might have been terrified of the place. However, the girl couldn't help but be delighted with the way the sun lit the trees casting colors upon the smooth edges of the platforms. In her mind, she could see the life she would live here. The days she would spend roaming through the trees, chasing away rabbits and owls alike.

"I think I would like that very much Sabra."

Pale eyes find the mare's own. If one peered close enough they might have seen a small flicker of gratefulness shinning beneath a shimmering blue sea.

'How proud of you he would be indeed..'
    L a v e n d e l
    -Sabra girl, clouding my view-

Sabra
    She nods her head, pleased, an effervescent smile lighting her face. "Wonderful! I think you'll like it here very much. I certainly do." The pastel woman stepped forward, and touched her velvet nose lightly to the sweet girl's poll. Still smiling, though perhaps now with a touch more restraint, her bodice curved away, to lead them deeper into the heart of the woods.

The forests of Sylva had known a complicated past, harboring villains and heros alike. It held none of the tropical beauty that was found in Ischia, but something about the shadowy groves appealed to her anyway. There was mystery and adventure to be found in these woods. Deep glades where perhaps ancient secrets slept. Where they headed now though, was the little corner of Sylva that Sabra had determined to be her own, the heart of her domain. As they walked, she continued to speak.

"These woods will become familiar to you. There are many paths that lead to various places. When you leave the golden trees, you leave the boundaries of Sylva, and enter into another's lands. Take care when you do so."

Making their way through the dense tree growth, they came to a place where the woods had not yet recovered entirely. Black scorch marks still marred the trunks of many trees, the ground only just recently beginning to send forth new shoots of fern and yarrow. A great evil had taken place here, not many seasons ago. Somewhat on edge, she quickened the pace, their destination being only a little ways further.

Minutes later, they came to a point where the trees would allow them to go no deeper. The ground was rocky and uneven, perhaps the result of a mountain cast rockslide ages ago. Still memorizing the way herself, age picked out the lightly used trail that would give them what she wanted. Great boulders soon stood in their way, little mountains unto themselves. They lay against each other like fallen giants, creating a natural overhanging shelter in their embrace. Other, smaller boulders dotted the area, inhibiting the growth of larger trees. These stones marked her castle, her fortress.

Bathed in bright daylight, it would make a good place to play for younger ones, with thick vegetation offering plenty of grazing in the warmer months. A clear stream ran nearby, fed by snow melting off the foothills. If next winter was brutal, perhaps her people would find the deep woods more sheltered, but for now, she was pleased with this area. Returning to the gentle girl, she allowed her to take things in, and to recover from their walk.

"You are free to come and go as you please, but I ask that you consider this your place to return to. Have fun, enjoy the woods and all they have to offer. There is nothing here that I know will hurt you. But if you come across anything unusual, you must tell me at once, yes? Strange animals, strange artifacts or strange horses, I want to know all of it. Enjoy yourself, in your second summer, you will begin learning a skill of some sort. We'll see where you fit in when that comes a little closer. Any questions?" She had an idea in her mind, one somewhat inspired by little Lamb. But she would have to wait and see if there was any merit to it. 

Lavendel

Lamb leaned slightly into the touch, smiling up at the woman before her. She wanders after the multi colored mare quickly, nearly tripping over her own legs. They walked slowly through the forest, Sabra allowing Lamb to have a look around her new home. The girl looked on in awe, eyes widening to take in the sights. With wise words @[Sabra] warned the girl that the woods couldnt always protect her actions. Once she chose to wander past them she was alone. Lamb swallowed and glanced at Sabra who's gaze stayed glued on the path before them. "I understand." She replies, her own pale hues returning to the path. Almost in a silly manor the girl tried to mirror the elegant walk of her companion, the perfect arch of the mare's neck... She managed to look slightly less silly than before (although not managing to look nearly as elegant as her winged queen), though the girl didnt keep up the strut long. They continued to walk however, the trees slowly fading to show their scorched brethren. Quietly, Lamb wondered what had happened to the ancient trees. A glance to Sabra (who hurried her along) prevented her questions to slip further than her mind. What they came upon next excited her child heart. A stone laden path led to the heart of the great forest. Smooth boulders stretched upward and created a homey structire, one that Lamb stared at for many minutes as the woman spoke. 'You will catch flies if your mouth hangs like that young girl' She snapped her jaw upward at the silent repremanding, satelites tilting to catch the slow trickle of the stream that bubbled not far from their spot amongst the trees. "I dont know how one could ever leave here for good!" She gigled , sadened at the thought of ever wanting to abandon such a kingdom as this. Her gaze found Sabra's , small ears tilting at the thought of finding such strange things, though she meerely noded in response offering a quiet 'I promise.' What the woman said next was most exciting for little Lamb, her heart pounding with the prospect. Her second summer wasnt too far off.. She wondered where she would belong. "Why...." She grasped for a question, there were so many. How could such a wonderful place be so empty? Would there ever be time for daisy chains and games of tag? Would Lamb be frightened when the dark came to the trees? "I do not think I have any questions at all." 'For there is no need... no need'

L A M B

L a v e n d e l