• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    Not All That is Lost is Gone[Valentine's Quest]
    She has not been here in a year, she had not wanted to come here. Memories of her time with the painted mare clawed at her conscious, begging to be relived. Lamb laid awake at night staring at the canopy above her pale body and dreamed of those she had met during her first year alive. The usual places that she went to calm down simply gave the memories time to scream at her instead of poke her sides. The decision to slip away from Sylva was a quick one. She had run here, petal-shaped ears pinned to her neck as she pushed her lungs past the white fire that gripped them. She did not stop running until she reached the cliff by the sea.

The salty air soothed her fatigued muscles as she collapsed into the ryegrass at her feet. Tired eyes find the horizon beyond the cliff, and the girl begins to cry. Why had nature been so cruel? Surely she hadn't been the only one abandoned in the spring... but oh boy did it feel that way. In the field, she had seen equines twice her age strolling comfortably with their families. How come she couldn't have that? How come she had to be alone?

The memories come then, flying full force at her beating heart. Images flash across her mind in quick bursts, her attention completely taken by the hurt.

"Why?"
    The word is a whisper that the wind rips into a million pieces. It is laced with a thousand questions she would never have answered. 

"Good question girl."
    The voice crawls out of the sea, scarring the ghost out of the splashed child. Lamb whips her head to the sound, pale blue eyes locking with equally as pale green hues. A silver fox sits not far from her, its bodice faced away from the sea, blocking her view of the white-capped waters beneath. 

Before Lamb could consider speaking the fox stands, shaking damp grass from its shining pelt. 

"Do you wish to see her again? The girl I have sent you dreams of?"
    It speaks with the voice of her memories, though the sound is tainted with the harsh water of the ocean below. Somehow, despite the edge, the voice is soothing. 

Lamb can only nod, had there been a reason for the dreams? Had the figure that haunted her wished to tell her something?

"Please...Please." She whispers to the fox as it nears her its ears perked in mild interest. It nods and moves to sit beside her, the fluff of its tail resting over her curled forelegs. 

"I grant you only a few moments Lavendel, I can only do so much."
    The fox's voice fades as the winds increase. The earth shifts and bits of it rise and mold with flying bits of color.

Standing before her is a filly (as she had once been, small and innocent) the child is jet black, with kind auburn eyes. The girl smiles but makes no move to walk towards an awestruck Lamb.

Lamb does not wait, she stands quickly ignoring the gentle slip of the fox's tail over her legs as she does so. 

"Maria." Lamb speaks, this is her first strong vocalization in days. She had a feeling it may be the last as well. Her heart is constricted with hurt at the sight of her friend. It had been so long... so long...

~

"Don't stray too far girls!"
    Lamb hears her mother call from not far off, her voice carried with an air of warning. The girl beside her breaks into a fit of giggles, Lamb following suit. They laugh for what feels like years before the ebony child reaches forward to gently nip at Lamb's shoulder. 

"Hey! That hurt!"
    Lamb smiles returning the nip before jetting into the trees. 

"You're it, Maria!"
    She shouts over her shoulder as she runs, laughing gaily. Maria joins in the chase soon after, smiling widely. The girls switch off who's 'it' multiple times before the sun begins to set and they have to begin the trek back towards their mothers. As they walk they speak in breathless voices.

"I so won."
    Maria pants, dark ears pinned to her sweat soaked neck. Lamb scoffs jokingly and shakes her head.

"Sure."
    The girls bump foreheads in mock play as their mothers come into view. 

"I have been calling you for hours... did you hear nothing I told you?"
    Faible growls, snatching Lamb away from an equally as frightened Maria. Judging from the looks of her mother's expression, Maria was in quite the heap of trouble as well.  That night she was sent to sleep early. 
    -
    "Wake up Lamb! Wake up!"

It is her mother that is screaming at her, her mother who is pushing her eagerly to her feet. The splashed girl's eyes open quickly at the commotion, hear ears pinned in fear at her mother's tone. Before her mother could explain Lamb heard it, the screaming of Maria and the cries of her mother mixed with the muffled growling of wolves. The quick glance between her mother's hind legs is the last glance she would get of her childhood friend. Maria lay only yards behind Lamb, her dark coat washed a milky red in the moonlight. 

Lamb screams out to her as her mother forces her into the woodlands. She runs despite the want to go help her friend. She runs because her mother makes her... because she is afraid.
    -
    It would be years before Lamb would realize why her mother had wanted her to stay close. Wolves were dangerous creatures who cared not what they destroyed. 

~

Lamb is pulled from her mind when the fox clicks its tongue indicating that her time with Maria was short.

"Can she speak to me?"
    Lamb speaks, her eyes locked on the honey hue of her friend's doe eyes. 

"No, nor can she move Lamb, but trust me that she can hear you."
    The fox replies sullenly, its voice high pitched and whining. Lamb nods in reply starring off into the horizon behind Maria.

"Im sorry that I ran.... I was afraid. Please understand I was afraid."
    Her words are laced with hurt and it pleads for forgiveness. She turns her eyes back to the tired gaze before her. Mixed within the warm hues lays a sorrow that mirrors Lamb's. It is all Lamb needs to see.

"Your time is short Lamb, use it wisely.."
    The fox warns from behind the two. A tear rolls down the ivory planes of her face as she reaches forward to brush her muzzle against Maria's poll. She lingers there for a moment, allowing the tears to stain the soft fur of Maria's face. 

"I was afraid."
    When she pulls away Maria is gone. 

"Tha-"
    As she turns to whisper her thanks to the fox she finds that once more she is alone, accompanied only by the hurt of her past. Though the weight of her life had not subsided it had become easier to carry. Perhaps seeing her friend as she had met her (unscathed by the cruelness done to her) had been the medicine she needed. For now, the memory of the splashed girls first friend moved to the back of her mind, made room for the days to come. 

"Thank you."
    Distantly she hears the ebony angel's voice cooing softly in her mind repeating a mantra that lulled Lamb's mind as she turned to head back to Sylva.
    'For there is no need...no need'
    [Image: lav_by_heyyou80-dc01t5i.png]
    L a v e n d e l

Messages In This Thread
    Not All That is Lost is Gone[Valentine's Quest] - by The Erotes - 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM
    RE: Not All That is Lost is Gone[Valentine's Quest] - by Lavendel - 02-10-2018, 05:19 PM