• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

searching for myself [Brennen, any]
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    It is moments like these that make the long life worth living. When he is lonely, adrift, sometimes he curses the ‘gift’ of immortality and the many years of unnatural life he has been given. In those times he wonders whether it would have been better, to die alongside Jesper’s grandmother and his other true age-mates so long ago. He would still have left his descendants a legacy of his fighting skill, but he would not have been here to watch them all grow old and die around him. But…he also would not have been there to raise any number of his children and grandchildren, to protect Kings and Queens, to stand before Jesper and know that no matter what tricks Beqanna has played in time, his grandson is not alone.

Which is better?

He supposes it doesn’t matter, because he only has the one choice. He is immortal, and nearly indestructible with it, and so he is here when they need him. “You don’t have to be honored,” he says, quirking another smile, “That’s what family is for.” He doesn’t say anything right away about more family – he supposes it might be a lot, the family tree, and he should have plenty of time to introduce parts of them to Jesper gradually. Probably there are no familiar faces anymore, so they will all be new anyway, and they can be a bit much. Sometimes, he still dreams of bringing them all together into one Kingdom, just to see how powerful they could all be together, his family.

“Walk with me,” he invites the boy, setting off across the sand at a leisurely pace; he prefers to move. Flying, walking, running; but of course walking is the most conducive to continued conversation. “What do you think you’d like to excel at?” he asks curiously, honestly wondering about the answer. Of course he has the most to offer a grandson who would like to be a warrior, but with Neraza’s blood thrown in, it could just as easily go the other way. It would be harder for him to teach a diplomat, but he has exercised those mental muscles many times in the past as well. You don’t live as long as he has without being both a peacemaker and a warrior in turn.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

Messages In This Thread
    searching for myself [Brennen, any] - by Jesper - 02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
    searching for myself - by Jesper - 02-11-2018, 06:34 AM
    RE: searching for myself [Brennen, any] - by Brennen - 03-02-2018, 12:12 PM