• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

this is the light that shines; Ea
    I could recognize him by touch alone, by smell;
    I would know him blind,
    by the way his breaths came
    and his feet struck the earth.
    I would know him in death,
    at the end of the world.

Is this the end of the world?
    It seems like a beginning, in a way: a rebirth. She is reborn, returned to him, enveloped in his shadow and the faint smell of death. Here, in the afterlife, she is free - free from her responsibilities, from the pressures placed on her shoulders since she was a child. Pressures placed by her mother and herself. A constant voice telling her to scheme, to get ahead, to make her parents proud. She hopes she did.
    She relaxes into his neck, his embrace.
    I love you, he says, and she knows he means it, but she can’t help but whisper, softly: “how?” and then, louder, after a pause, “I love you too. I’ve missed you.” She nestles herself into his neck, pressing against his side, terrified that he would leave her again.
    Or was it she who left him behind?
    She thinks they’re safe here, in the afterlife. Together, to the end of time. To the end of the world.
    She doesn’t know what’s to come.
    To him, she says: “I don’t even know where to start,” truthfully. Too much has happened without him - a lifetime she doesn’t want to relive. But she pulls away from him, looking into his eyes, curious and desperate, and decides he deserves to know.
    “I had your mother and father and Sabrael with me. We created a new home, an island. I named her Ischia; led her and loved her like she was the Dale, but I never stopped looking for you.” She doesn’t mention Allure and Grimdark or their devil magician father who tricked her into believing he was Ramiel - the only secret she has taken beyond the grave. “I couldn’t find Sela or Kha. They must’ve been lost in the reckoning,” she says, quietly mourning all the children she has lost. “During my last rule of Ischia, I was kidnapped, and then -,” he doesn’t need the details of her torture and she doesn’t need to remember. It’s too soon, too raw.
    “And you?” She says, looking into his gold eyes. Then, quieter: “What happened to you?”

@[Ramiel]

Messages In This Thread
    this is the light that shines; Ea - by Ramiel - 02-11-2018, 06:11 PM
    RE: this is the light that shines; Ea - by Ea - 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM
    RE: this is the light that shines; Ea - by Ramiel - 02-17-2018, 08:24 PM
    RE: this is the light that shines; Ea - by Ea - 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM
    RE: this is the light that shines; Ea - by Ramiel - 11-20-2018, 04:47 PM