• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Ilma, any
    Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    I glow under her kind words, feeling as if perhaps she can truly see me for the light and good soul that I am, whereas others have latched on to the more shadowy parts of my character. But nonetheless I smile and shimmer under her gaze, feeling as if I haven't found a recruit, but a friend.

"I can't wait to know all about you, Ilma."

At the end of my spiel, the beautiful white mare agrees that Hyaline sounds like the perfect home. And honestly, even as a hypothetical unbiased third party, I agree. And it's not just because I made it sound perfect; it just really, really is.

There's a grin on my face and a wind beneath my wings as I unsteadily unfurl them, giddy to be test driving them as it were. "I will try to help you be more comfortable with the stranger things Beqanna has to offer - but for now, I think it's your turn to help me figure out how to use these things!" I flap my glimmering bay wings like a dork, but I pause at her last question. "Oh, they'll stick around for about three hours! Long enough by far to get us to Hyaline. Come on!"

And so, watching Ilma as she gracefully extends her crystalline appendages to embrace the wind, I carefully imitate her and, with some false starts and a few laughs, we have take off. The wind is too loud for us to converse as we climb through the heavens and glide across them, but in a way, we bond more deeply than words could enable. She follows my glances and when I get buffeted in the wrong direction, it is Ilma who shows me, in her expert way, how to right myself and keep on going.

The breath taking mountain range of Hyaline does not take long to appear, and it seems like only minutes have passed as we approach the earth once more. I watch Ilma land elegantly, gently gliding until her hooves come parallel to the earth and she walks off the remaining momentum. I, on the other hand, flap my wings and jostle myself royally in an attempt to lower myself completely vertically. When there is about two feet left beneath me, I drop with a loud thud, shocking my knees, though a wild and wanton grin is smeared across my face in complete abandon.

"Wow! That was exhilarating, I can't believe you get to do that any time you want. I gotta say though, I was a lot more elegant in my dream." I laugh at myself, shaking my head and sighing. "Thank you for helping me through that." I reach out and press my muzzle to her shoulder in gratitude, then left it to gaze around us.

"Well, this is it. Welcome to Hyaline."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Ilma] @[Solace] Hey Solace! Come meet our potential new member!
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

A little breeze goes a long way

The white female nodded gracefully at the spotted bay, spreading her wings a little in a mock bow. "More to discover later," she grinned. Since Hyaline sounded promising, she would love to see the herd - kingdom - and meet it's other residents. Then she would know for sure if that was a place that she wanted to stay, but to be honest, as long as there were young foals to guide into the big wide open world, she probably would be. One day if she met the right stallion, she would probably be a mother herself, but so far that would have to wait. She'd be happy to be Kagerus' friend too, and so, she made sure to show how she held the wings before taking air, circling above until she knew that the other mare was able to follow.

The wind made talking impossible today, and even if there wasn't any wind, she would imagine that Kagerus' had enough on her mind to stay aloft, than to talk simultaneously. Sometimes she drifted off, but that was a matter of correction by weight and a little extra flapping of wings. She showed the other mare more than once how to do that, but soon enough they made it to the green area behind a mountain, where Kagerus indicated she wished to land.

The other female seemed not to have enough patience to have Ilma show her how to land more than once, and a loud
    thud indicated that indeed she had not landed as gracefully as the white, winged mare. Yet, Ilma had needed more time to take in her new surroundings, than to respond to a clearly not-injured Kagerus who was still pumped full of adrenaline. Ilma caught up with her last words and shook her head as well, also chuckling. "At the very least, you made it without too much distractions and injury, so you're better at it than several others I've known." After all, the trait did run in the family.

She took in the scent of the new country, different from the field, more strongly scented with other horses, but those scents were also more consistent - definitely a territory where others weren't likely to come, unless for a visit. She did not see any of the other horses right away, but perhaps Kage had intentionally landed somewhere quiet so as not to create too much of a distraction.

Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

Solace

Summer clings to the land - even though the nights have begun to grow cool the moutans are swathed in vibrant colors at their bases fading up to their grey, craggy summits. There is a harsh beauty to be found when traveling the peaks, yet most of Hyaline's residents seemed to prefer the lush blue-grass and perfumed wisteria trees of the basin. The days have begun to shorten, dusk seems to come earlier every night, yet for all her power Solace can only sigh as she finds the leaves at the highest elevations beginning to fade to earth-tones and fall to the ground.

She did not look forward to winter - cold night only serve to remind her of her night-time solitude and the empty willow tree. 

But such thoughts evaporate when she spots another in the sky; her mind involuntarily fills with thoughts of Castille and the day they had danced together in the sky.  A Queen she may be, but she is also a girl, and she can't help that her heart hammers a little quicker them as she recalls his scent and the intimate details of his expressive face.

Only there is not one pegasus, but two. As she nears, she is surprised to recognize Kagerus as one of them. 

Fuscia, lavender, and emerald blur together below her as Solace gains speed in her descent. She lands lightly beside the pair just as the ivory mare's words trail off and she does not catch them. "Kagerus! Welcome back." Solace stretches out her pink muzzle to her faithful diplomat, glad to see she had returned from her travels safely. Her sparkling, cerulean gaze quickly turns to the newcomer, her easy smile already sprawled across her face. "I'm Solace,  I saw you two flying in and I thought I would stop by to welcome you in. It's not every day another pegasus shows up."

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

Indeed, I am pumped quite full of adrenaline, rendering me a tad more bubbly than usual... Well, maybe than ever. As the words spew out of my mouth like a broken faucet, I internally beg myself to shut up shut up shut up, but alas my tongue blabbles on. Fortunately, Ilma seems immersed in Hyaline - and that, to me, is worth more than any sort of attention sent my personal direction. After all, she's here to scrutinize that kingdom, not the fool that brought her here.

"Why, lady Ilma, you flatter me." Lifting my ebony wings, I mimic her bow from before we took off, giggling as I recover. "Maybe by tomorrow my knees will agree with you."

Our little joke fades contentedly then, as we walk slowly, perusing through the kingdom. The mountains loom high above us, and somewhere near, I know the lake can be found. I am about to suggest a trip to the waters - where more horses might be found - when a blur of beautiful colours settles elegantly next to us, again proving me to be an absolute trash pegasus.  Oh well - it only makes me smile the more.

"Hello Solace," I say with feeling, my voice lower, calmer, in the presence of my queen. Without hesitation my black muzzle goes to bump and lip at her own pink one, exchanging warm air in the Old Ways of greeting. "I'm glad to be back."

The admittedly gorgeous monarch turns to the newcomer then, who is also profoundly beautiful in my opinion. Her gentle words roll out towards her, and I smile. I am lucky to have a queen as involved in every day kingdom affairs as Solace is. Hyaline is bustling, thanks in large part, to her.

"Well, my wings won't be around much longer, so enjoy the sight." It's an easy quip, as between friends; then, I settle my tone of voice, as introductions are in order. "Solace, this is Ilma. She is new here, and I welcomed her to come and see Hyaline." I turn to Ilma, smile. Calmer than before. "I hope you like it thus far."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing
    dreamweaver

Ilma chuckles lightly at Kagerus' little joke. Indeed, that must have been some impact on the spotted mare's knees, but she seems able to move them without too much trouble, so it's probably nothing serious. However, we don't keep on laughing in one spot for long, Kagerus leading the way through the kingdom.

She's right that it's beautiful. Summer might make most landscapes beautiful, true, but it's still green here which means ample water sources and enough shade for a herd to spend the summer. Winters might be a little colder, if it is more damp than other areas, but she doesn't think that's the worst. There's still shelter after all.

Her thoughts are interrupted by the soft, recognizable swoosh of another horse's wings, and a radiant pegasus mare lands not too far away from them. She and Kagerus go way back, Ilma recognizes; their greeting is friendly and even teasing, a way of old friends to greet each other rather than that there may be a more reserved greeting for a stranger - like Ilma today. Yet the other female is kind, and offers a warm welcome.

Ilma dips her head a little in greeting. "Solace. Thank you for the welcome. Hyaline looks and sounds wonderful so far. Truly a safe haven." she agrees with what Kagerus had told her before in general. This mare represents about as much - with only a little more colour on her body and wings than Ilma herself, she seems to radiate something heavenly although Ilma cannot pinpoint what or why (that Solace has any kind of magic is beyond her thus far). Perhaps it's just the love for her friend, or the land, maybe both. The winged mare (that is the one who most recently joined their little chat) carries herself as a leader, at least towards Kage, from which Ilma concludes that at the very least she ranks higher than the spotted bay. Perhaps she can tell her more about the kingdom.

Her tail swishes softly in the summer air. "How many horses are in Hyaline now? And what do they do?" she wishes to know of her companions.

Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.

Solace

With rustling feathers, Solace folds her wings evenly over her golden topline while the other mares speak, preparing to walk with them towards the heart of Hyaline. "I will confess I'm biased, but I believe Hyaline is the most beautiful part of Beqanna - a sanctuary in more ways than one." The pale mare turns to nod inland, towards a dip in the land between two mountains. "[b]The pass here leads to our most popular feature, the lake - shall we?"[/b]

She listens intently to the questions presented to her, appreciating the moonstone mare's interest, before beginning to start off at an easy walking pace if the others agree. 

“Our numbers fluctuate,” the young Queen answers honestly, “there are quite a few of wanderers who call Hyaline home, some of which we only see for several months in between journies of just as long. Residents are not required to hold positions, some choose to, but others are just trying to raise their children in peace.” 

"Those who do wish for the purpose and challenge of service have several options. With our reputation as a Scantuary, greeting newcomers and welcoming returning friends is one of the largest day-to-day tasks and can be a very interesting one." She laughs gently, somewhat to herself, thinking of the many interesting characters her daily patrolling had brought her into contact with. But her voice hardens and she glances to Kagerus before beginning her conclusion. "At the moment our largest need is for a dedicated, homebound guard. Bequenna is experiencing unprecedented peace at the moment, but as much as I like to remain optimistic, I need to be prepared - it's the only way to be a true Sanctuary." Her voice trails off then, as she is aware that her answers may have only sparked more questions for Ilma or Kagerus.  

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

I drift somewhat out of the conversation as Ilma delivers gentle questions to the eager and receptive Solace, but I pay attention nonetheless, invested in the relationships I have formed with each of the mares before me.

Solace suggests a trip to the lake then, and I smile eagerly, stepping forward. "I believe we shall. You'll be amazed, Ilma. It's like nothing you've ever seen." We walk and talk then, at ease in each other's company in such a way that leads me to truly believe that Ilma belongs here. In the privacy of my mind, I try imagining her elsewhere - in Tephra, where the group is harder and sharper - in Nerine, where women are practically breaking their necks making oaths to one another - in Sylva, where she would have no company - in Loess, as a herdmare to their king (or their once king, though I have heard no news of his fall from the throne yet).

No, none of those places would suit her like this one does.

I snap back to the conversation at hand when Solace lends me a grave glance. I nod solemnly, wholeheartedly in agreement. "Yes. As of right now, we have very few warriors, and next to none that have been tested, though Solace and I are going to be taking part in the Alliance in the coming year, as I mentioned to you in the field." I have been watching the scenery change before us, but I look now at Ilma directly. "But do not feel that there is no room in the diplomatic caste, as surely there always will be. The more diplomats, the more recruits, the more warriors, the stronger we are - it generally doesn't work the other way around."

Turning a curve around a large elm tree that stands alone at the foot of a mountain, the lake comes into view. It's large, still waters are sapphire-blue, reflecting the sky above like a mirror. The clipclop of their hooves echoes softly in the basin, and all in all, the lake has an ethereal effect. I smile again, in love with this place, as always. "Welcome to the heart of Hyaline."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing
    dreamweaver

Ilma exchanges a curious glance between the pass and the two mares, but other than that it is a lake she is not told any details; apparently this sight to see must be seen only, and not just heard of. She follows suit, easily walking and talking with her companions.

She understands that Hyaline is perhaps smaller than Solace would have it be, in numbers at least. The need for a constant guard is understandable, but Ilma knows she is not much worth as one. ”I was never practised in any warrior art, not have I ever longed to, so I cannot offer you that which perhaps you need most.” Or at least what Solace thought she needed. Ilma wasn’t quite convinced yet that they needed to show off their warrior skills to others, sometimes being a mystery was all it took to create the wildest stories, ”I would love to greet visitors, however. But I have not seen all of Beqanna yet and would like the freedom to explore and make more friends, too. Of course, if I find any stray horse I would recommend Hyaline first and foremost,” she offers.

Ilma agrees with Kagerus on the statement that more recruits may mean more warriors but not the other way around, nodding to that. ”Perhaps diplomacy is closer to my heart. Although frankly, most of all it lies with raising young children and teaching them the ways of life. I could imagine having some of my own. Perhaps if teaching is no specific task, I should have no rank or title. But it is what I could most effortlessly contribute.” She falls silent to think - perhaps diplomacy is still a thing she could do (after all, apparently she makes good speeches) if she could combine it with a form of teaching. There may already be someone here with the task; she would not want to steal anyone’s title, but she knows that the reason why she is so attracted to Hyaline in the first place, is that - the idea of a sanctuary and a place to learn, all in one. If not here, there’s probably no other place either where she could be at peace like she is here.

@[Solace]

Solace

Sollace realizes she has misspoken, placing too much emphasis on a guard, nearly as soon and the thought leaves her mouth. Luckily Kagerus balances the caretaker's comments with her own and Solace hopes Ilma will not feel pressured into trying her had at the warrior caste if that is not something she is interested in. Solace knew that those who chose to take on kingdom duties and climb the ranks would serve best in the branches which they found the most fulfillment. 

She is not disappointed, finding that when Ilma speaks the mare knows herself well.  "Those are all wonderful ways to contribute and would be immensely appreciated if you chose Hyaline as your home. I hate to leave visitors waiting, especially those who are looking for a welcoming home, so having one more horse on the lookout for them would be a big help. So far Kagerus and I have been trying to cover most the diplomatic, recruiting, and welcoming duties on our own."  

As they walk Solace finds herself feeling comfortable and content. Kagerus has been carving a place for herself in Hyaline (and unknowingly Solace's affections) with determination, and Ilma already seems very compatible whit Hyaline's Ideal.  Ilmas later comments spark an idea.

"I was planning a visit to the Adoption Den in the spring to see if there were any homeless foals. Would you be interested in taking on that task? The birthing season often brings abandoned foals, and many of them have no way of knowing about the sanctuary we can offer them."

caretaker of hyaline

TIME WARP lmao
    sorry for the delay in this. I figured I would give her an (optional) task even thought maybe solace probably wouldn't do that in a first meeting. This meeting felt more like a second to me anyway xD
    Ilma isn't limited to the adoption den if she stumbles across someone someplace else
    Solghostdoll2

Ah, Kagerus had already struck Ilma as a busy bee; when Solace explains that she and the spotted bay have both been covering for most of the duties lately, that would explain it very well. Listening to Solace, Ilma realizes that she has already decided that this is her place. She nods. "I would be happy to help you out with those things." she answers - especially the latter two, she thinks, although she really does think that at least once in her life she would like to meet horses of other kingdoms as well. But she does not think that she knows Hyaline well enough to go on any kind of diplomatic mission, so that is not something she will undertake easily.

When Solace mentions the Adoption Den, Ilma's face lights up. "I didn't know there was one! But I'll definitely visit the place!" she agrees - really, if not for Hyaline, she would have gone by herself still if that meant that one orphan could have a mother. Or two - she doubts she would be able to leave any newborn behind even if she could not take care of all of them by herself.

Now that she has a bit of a task and a goal, she feels like she truly belongs - like she had belonged here all her life but just did not know it. She's happy with the idea of settling here, and so she turns to the other mares with a smile. "I'll go and explore the kingdom, then. I would like to talk to both of you some more, later, but for now I think that a place to sleep is also important." she smiles sweetly, ready to make this her perfect home.

@[Solace] Figured I'd wrap things up. Sid has too much threads so she basically already had striken this one out as done xD