• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I sold my soul for this ~ Diplomatic [Lepis/ANY]

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there...
    dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before...
    Loving with a love that was more than love
    - Edgar Allen Poe
    The cold season will be coming upon them soon, and Nerine’s inhabitants will migrate inland; huddling in the heart of the kingdom to avoid the beaches and the storms that brew just off the coast. If she wants to get out to the other kingdoms now is the time to do so, before the trek becomes to treacherous for those accompanying her on these visits. She personally doesn’t give a rats ass about the weather, but she won’t put anyone else at unnecessary risk. It’s early dawn when she sets off down the presently well-worn trail. Hestia snorts at the thought of this being well-worn, she could have sworn that it was yesterday that the land had no signs of life gashing its way through the land. It just goes to show how busy the residents of Beqanna have been as of late, to have a chance to create this so early on in the lands rebirth.

Choosing to veer closer to the coast the sun crawls across her barrel pleasantly keeping her warm. One of the few benefits of traveling this early in the morning. The smell of dew and gentle chirping of birds keep her aware of the progression of time as she leisurely strolls out of her borders. It takes her most of the morning to get to Loess, and when she arrives the sun is just starting to get to that uncomfortable place of too much heat and not enough shade. Crossing the river isn’t all that pleasant, never one to enjoy getting wet it takes her a few minutes longer than most as she fusses over picking her way through. Once that is done though it only takes her a few more minutes to reach the place where the trail she travels crosses that of a patrol’s path. She stops here, waiting for someone to stumble across the new comer. They will, any kingdom worth their merit never allows anyone to breach so easily.

The black mare knows the usual behaviors that accompanies official kingdom visitors. However, she’s never been one to yell out and call attention to herself, when avoidable, so Hestia does, what Hestia does best. She waits. The black hag is fully aware that it could be hours before someone takes notice, and in a way, she is secretly hoping for this to be the case. Anytime she is allowed a rest she steals it for herself knowing the amount of work she must do is going to take all the energy she has. It’s most likely that someone will come across her snoozing, but there is always the off chance that they catch her taking a midday snack. Something she never likes letting anyone see/watch, but it’s a little difficult to keep your complete dignity in these kinds of situations. Sometimes there are slip ups.

Hestia
    ©Photo by Stanislav Istratov

@[Volcan]
    @[Lepis]
    [Image: 345k45w.jpg]
    Autumn has painted the hills of Loess with a generous hand. From her vantage point, Lepis finds that the brilliant shades rival even Sylva to the south. The filly smiles happily, utterly at peace with the land that spreads below her.

Her land, Mother has told her, and Uncle Castile has confirmed. They handle the boring things, and leave Lepis to her own devices for the most part. It is a lavish and luxurious life, one that she enjoys every moment of. The yellow filly, with her coat as bright as golden grasses and points as dark as the night sky, is growing quickly.

Nearly six months old, she is quite certain that she is an adult.

This certainty is cemented when she sees movement between the trees. It is near the border, where she is not to go. But she is queen, and she does as she pleases.

It takes a while - long enough for Hestia to nap a bit - but she reaches the stranger in time. she does not know this stranger, but she smells of the sea in a way that has always been comforting to Lepis. It had been present at her birth, and she has not forgotten.

”Hi. She says, and waits for the mare to wake.
    She’s fruststrated by her recent failure in the field. Recruiting had never been her forte, she always stood on the side lines when Ivar ruled. She was ener able to really sell Loess to anyone before, except for the stray few that she caught alone. But today was no different, she returns failure like a hanging plaque on chest lined with sweat from the unruly heat of the field.

Her brow furrowed in frustration, as she walks the horizon bloomed with Loess’s gorgeous orange and red toned hills, dotted with brittle shrubbery. Autumn always brought out the true beauty of the kingdom, complimenting its gorgeous scenery with browns, and vibrant reds. It doesn’t take long for her to make out two figures, one whom lay dormant on the borders while the other, small in stature no doubt her young daughter.

Her protective nature, inclines her to rush over to her darling Lepis. Her failure no longer lingers, but a rather protective glare marked her face. Her expression unchanging as she moves towards her young daughter. Rather disappointed that her daughter hadn’t caught onto the brief teachings of stranger danger, after all what would Loess do without it’s queen if the young girl had gotten herself kidnapped. Not only would the kingdom be distraught, but Heda herself would be absolutely heartbroken.

Her glare fixed upon the resting mare, as her body moves passively in front of her daughter as a physical blockade. Wings unfurled as her motherly instincts fire, the smell of Nerine thickly layered in the air. “How can I help you?” Her words spill out in neutral spires, as her wings further expanded in a protective notion.
    [Image: dc9b5pd-da224f9b-4062-4ac8-924f-4dd26147...1Y8jmwEofM]
    Ex-Queen of Loess
    ・❥・
    He remembers her scent, but it isn’t Hestia’s alone that draws him out from the shadow of a rocky outcropping. His broad wings remain nestled at his sides, idly resting after his exploration with Solace. From the edge of the hill, he is able to discern the salty scent of Nerine as it rides on the autumnal breeze. It blankets him in comfort and triggers his memories to play and play again. Nerine holds the key to him; it’s a balm to soothe the raging beast inside him. A fleeting grin touches the corners of his mouth as he stands like an observant soldier. He is in no immediate rush until he sees young Lepis amble toward Hestia with the boldness of an adult. A low chuckle escapes him unbidden as he seizes the opportunity to join them now.

Heda arrives second, protectively standing by her daughter with eyes trained on the outsider. For a moment, Castile wonders what it would be like to have a child, a family to love, but the idea is gone as he reaches the trio and stops.

”Hestia,” he remembers her, but more of her ties to Nerine and how the salty air tangled her forelock. It’s strange how torn he is. His mind says Loess, his heart says Nerine, but the monster lingering in his soul screams for fire and Tephra. Mismatched eyes flicker to the mother and child. ”Lepis, Heda,” he utters their names as both greeting and introduction for the Nerinian Queen before trailing his eyes back to her, not repeating the question Heda has already asked.

She’s dozing in the heat of the day. When not walking, the sun feels good tingling her skin until the heat makes her lethargic. Hestia shakes her head with a snort when a noise starts her. Probably one of the last days that the heat will greet them until spring. The birds migrate away from Nerine, inland where it’s warmer, safer, they can be heard now overhead. She blinks away the sleep, vision coming into focus once more.

The child is so small so cute, it warms her heart and she ghosts a smile lowering her head to exchange air in greeting. Hello little one, she can’t say anymore as an adult comes up, the unfurling of her wings and proximity to the child tells Hestia all she needs to know, having been a mother herself. Hestia nods acknowledging the woman’s claim over the child.  Hoping that she will realize that Hestia poses no threat. The black mare stays where she is at, leisurely whipping her tail. Before she can answer the Heda though, Castille approaches.

She nods to him, Castille, it’s good to see you, her voice soft she pauses taking note of the names he mentions for later. I’ve recently ascended to the throne in Nerine. So sadly I’m not here to catch up. she stops. Looking from one equine present to another, she waits a moment for any words they want to say. Hestia is completely unaware of what truly happened with Isobell, only that she decided to leave, and there is rumors of a child queen in Loess. I came to discuss our standing with this kingdom. She doesn’t presume to know who is in charge here, so she waits for someone to speak. Hestia couldn’t know that all three before her were considered the leaders of Loess.

These meetings typically last so long, and she want’s to give them a chance to send the child away should this be one of those things. She also will not cross the border until invited in. So many rules, so many formalities to follow, and they are just getting started.

HESTIA

The devil whispered in my ear "you can't survive the storm"
    I whispered back, "I am the storm"

[Image: 345k45w.jpg]
    The stranger is waking up, and I tilt my head curiously. Sometimes when I wake up from a nap it takes me a moment to orient myself, so I know better than to chatter at her as soon as she's roused. Once, I'd had a dream that I was a fish swimming in the stream, and Momma's attempt to straighten my hair while I was still half-asleep had felt very oddly like someone pulling me out of the water. I don't want this black horse to feel like that, so I wait until she's awake.

She seems nice (even if she does feel the need to remind me of my size) but I don't have time to answer her before Momma arrives. I huff irritably from behind the protective shield of feathers, and make no attempt to quell the aura of frustration that emanates from me. Momma is familiar with it - I had inherited my ability to project emotions from her after all - but it might be startling to this stranger.

And to Uncle Castile, who has arrived just now as well. I do love Uncle Castile, and I duck beneath the safety of Momma's wing to come up beside him.

"Hi!" I chirp merrily up at him, forgetting entirely the fact that there is a stranger. I'm about to ask him if he'll do the dragon thing when the black mare speaks up again, and I spin around to look back at her. I lose my balance at the quick motion, but I catch myself on Momma's warm shoulder before I fall.

The stranger knows Uncle Castile, which obviously makes her intentions harmless. Momma is always very protective, but this Nerinian (look at me, knowing the right names for residents of kingdoms! How good my memory is!) is clearly here for benevolent reasons.

Except...

"Standing? You can stand here. Look, you're standing now. " I gesture helpfully toward her legs, which are doing a rather splendid job of keeping her upright. I cannot say the same for my own legs; they do not always do what I ask of them.

@[Heda]
    @[Castile]
    @[Hestia]