• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Oh look, a quest! Round one (now with results!)
    Well.

This is certainly strange.

Ephrelle is positive that she had been jumping, and now everything is black and quiet. The jungle does get dark and still sometimes, when the storms are coming and everything seeks cover – but it has never been this dark. There is no sound of wind here – no sound of anything at all.

Stranger still, Ephrelle is most certainly upside down. Having never been upside down before it takes a moment for her to process her unusual position, and then she does what any living thing would do, and tries to right herself. Her limbs feel both larger and lighter than she remembers, and she wonders if perhaps Wrynn’s monsters had followed her from the beyond and back to the Jungle. Had they taken her captive? Perhaps they had mistaken her for Wrynn?

Deciding to test this hypothesis, the filly stretches out her neck and bites down – hard – on the first thing she finds.

Nope, that does not taste at all like berries that have gone bad. It tastes like metal and it hurts her mouth (but not her teeth? Where are her teeth? She can’t feel them anymore!).

Whatever she has bitten does not seem to like having been bitten, and with a loud roar it begins to move. Light suddenly fills the space, temporarily blinding Ephrelle as her green eyes adjust to the light. The source is the headlights of the model truck whose side mirror she had just chomped down on.

”Nobody messes with Mater!” The brown trucks shouts from a mouth that Ephrelle can’t quite see, somewhere below the fender. ”You’re gonna pay fer that, little missy.” She begins to stammer out an apology, looking down in embarrassment ,but is distracted by the sight of her own legs. With the light from the truck, she can clearly see her legs. They’re purple! And round! And…

She has no time to inspect them further, as Mater the Tow Truck has taken her distraction as his opportunity to charge. Moving too fast for her to escape, the truck races forward and collides with Ephrelle, forcing her back against a solid wooden wall. She is trapped, unable to move and the truck’s engine revs as the bumper pushes against her plastic purple ribcage. She can feel her sides start to cave in, but the pain is strangely absent

”RACE STARTS IN ONE MINUTE !” an echoing voice suddenly booms, startling both Ephrelle and Mater, if the way the truck slows it’s shoving is any indication. ”RACE STARTS IN ONE MINUTE. VEHICLES TAKE YOUR MARK!”. Mater the truck reverses farther still, and the eyes in his windshield look disappointed. ”Well shucks. You’ll have to pay later, I’ve gotta go cheer on my friend Lightning.”

Ephrelle doesn’t have time to catch her breath in the returning darkness before she hears a small voice to her left. ”You okay there, Horse Friend?” Ephrelle turns her head to see a small brown-skinned doll wearing a white medical coat over her purple-striped shirt and pink skirt. Too scared to speak, Ephrelle simply presses herself closer to the wall. ”I won’t hurt you, friend. I’m Doc McStuffins. I can fix your side, I’ve read how in my Big Book.” Doc takes another slow step forward and rests her stuffed hand on Ephrelle’s side. There’s an oversize polka dot band-aid in her other hand and the doll presses it gently to Ephrelle’s injured side, where it sticks readily to her plastic skin. ”Your boo-boo is all better.” Ephrelle manages to stutter a quick ”Th…Thank you” before Doc spins around suddenly, her already large eyes growing even wider.

”Get outta here,” she whispers to Ephrelle from the corner of her mouth. “I think She’s coming back. If you can hide under the toy box She won’t play with you today.” The filly doesn’t have any idea who She is, but Doc has been surprisingly helpful, and she’s inclined to follow directions. ”Where do I go?” She whispers, ”How do I get out of here?”.

Doc McStuffins silently points to a looming shape in the corner, and Ephrelle recognizes the silhouette of a three story dollhouse tucked into a corner of the toybox. ”Take the stairs, and climb out the attic window. That’ll put you at the top of the toybox.”

Whispering her thanks profusely, Ephrelle does as directed. Her plastic hooves sound strange on the wooden floor of the toybox, but she gallops toward the candy-pink door of the dollhouse as quickly as her stubby legs can take her. She’s just short enough to fit inside, but stops at the sensation of carpet. It’s like grass, but softer. She desperately wants to explore – there’s a soft humming coming from the fridge in the kitchen and the gentle drip of water in the sink – but she remembers the urgency in Doc’s voice, and heads through the plushly carpeted living room towards the stairs. A couch is overturned in the center of the room, and there is no other furniture. Laying half on the couch and half off, a small doll has the center of its chest poked open, presumably with the toothpick that lays beside it on the floor.

With wide eyes, Ephrelle keeps a wide berth around the grisly scene, and makes it to the foot of the stairs. Stairs? How does she climb these? Taking a deep breath, she takes a step up, and then another. It is strange going, but she reaches the landing on the second floor, and then the third. The attic window isn’t really a window, she discovers, but rather a giant hole in the dollhouse roof. It appears to be exactly the size of a child’s fist.

Standing beneath it, Ephrelle can see a sliver of light that must be the lid of the toybox. I can do this, she tells herself, I can do this. I am brave. Backing up a few paces, Ephrelle aims herself at the center of the hole. She breaks into a gallop and leaps forward and upward, as high as she can toward the toybox lid, hoping that the force of her collision with it will force it open.

ephrelle

vithiraki and charoki of the amazons

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Erebor - 06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Smother - 06-18-2015, 11:57 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Shannisoran - 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Engelsfors - 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Engelsfors - 06-19-2015, 03:16 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by sleaze - 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Shaytan - 06-19-2015, 01:39 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Ephrelle - 06-19-2015, 03:33 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Wichita - 06-19-2015, 05:37 PM