• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Oh look, a quest! Round one (now with results!)
    She’s about to poke her head into a particularly spooky looking cave, when she feels a faint tugging sensation behind her left nostril.  “Whaa …?”  And then everything goes black.

When she wakes up, she’s surrounded by … things.  Great big shadowy things.  “Ahhh!”  Fear sets in immediately and she springs to her feet, stumbling over something small to her right.  Her eyes peer through the almost darkness, trying desperately to figure out where she is.  But it’s impossible at the moment - it’s just too much new, too soon.

An errant thought pops into her head that strikes her cold.  Had someone figured it out?  Had someone discovered who she’s related to?  Have they kidnapped her to punish her for her family’s crimes?

“Meow?”  All thoughts of discovery instantly flee.  Her eyes peer once again through the gloom.  Her eyes are slowly adjusting, but she’s still having trouble making out the shapes around her.  Then something small and hard brushes against her left hind leg.  “Ahhhhh!”

She flies backwards, bumping into more objects to get away from whatever the hell just touched her.  Something moves in front of her and she raises a hoof, ready to strike.  And then suddenly, the thing comes into focus.  “A cat?”  But it’s the oddest cat she’s ever seen.  It’s two different shades of brown, with fat, stubby little legs, and a massive head that’s pretty much the same size as it’s body (it’s a wonder it’s managing to stand upright).  Giant blue and black eyes blink at her before it utters another plaintive, “meow?”

She stares at it for a moment, dumbfounded, before the shock is replaced by a faint, niggling memory.  She’s seen something like this before.  On the ground outside of a human’s den outside of Beqanna.  A toy.  But that one hadn’t been alive … and it hadn’t had bite marks on its head …

Rustling behind her sends her stumbling forward, and she wheels around, once again ready to fight if need be.  Her eyes have adjusted completely by now, and the objects easily swim into view.  A massive, dirty, pink and white bear looms down on her from above, a little green man and a tiny long-necked dinosaur standing close by its side.

She barely has time to register the scent of strawberries before the bear takes an unsteady step towards her.  The voice that creaks out of its fluffy throat is distinctly southern.  “Why hello there!  Welcome to Nerissa’s toybox!”  Syl’s eyes narrow in confusion.  “Wha …?”  Toybox?  She can’t be in a toybox?  She’s a horse, she wouldn’t fit!  That doesn’t …

As she glances at the floor, she catches a quick glimpse of her right hoof.  It’s green.  

The hell?  She frantically turns her attention to the rest of her body.  It’s purple.  And blue.  And plastic.  “What the hell is going on?!  Why am I plastic?!”  The bear looks at her quizzically.  “I’m not a toy!  I’m a real horse!”  There’s a tone of desperation in her voice.  This has to be a dream, right?  This HAS to be a dream.

“Not another one.”  The bear is turning away, shaking its head.  “You deal with it Vinessa.”  A doll suddenly appears out of the darkness, staring at Syl through heavily made-up eyes.  Syl is disturbed to notice that she’s missing an arm.  “He doesn’t have the time or patience to deal with crazy toys like you!  Get out of here!”  Syl doesn’t need to be told twice.  She turns away from the retreating toys and stumbles on through the low light, finally starting to notice the toys that are crammed together all about.

She’s really in a toybox.  Somehow, she’s been turned into a toy.  “This better be a dream.”  Her eyes (now blue, though she doesn’t know it), scan for a way out.  She is NOT going to stick around in here.  As she moves, she bumps into more toys, each and every one of them stirring at her touch.  She shies away from all of them … until she bumps into the wrong toy.  

She stumbles over the leg of a strange wolf, hidden in the shadow of a hole-filled stuffed rabbit.  It twitches for a moment.  Then it’s on her.  She screams as the plastic teeth sink latch on to her leg, though, being made of the same material, nothing actually breaks her skin (something that, in her terror, she fails to notice).  “Help me!  Someone help me!”  She’s going to die.  She’s going to die here, in this strange toybox, surrounded by strange toys that want her gone.  “Help me!”  But no one’s coming.  She doesn’t belong here - they aren’t going to help her.  

“Oh Jacob, leave her alone.”  Suddenly the wolf is ripped off her, and sent flying through the darkness.  A kindly green face peers down at her.  “You alright?”  Syl gapes.  It’s a turtle.  A turtle on two legs, with crayon scribblings all over his body.  “Hi, I’m Raph.  You ok?”  The multicoloured mare takes a step back.  “I … yeah.  I’m ok.”  Bright green eyes peer in even closer.  “You don’t belong here, do you?”

Syl can’t believe the feeling of relief that overwhelms her at hearing those words.  Someone knows.  Someone believes.  “No, I don’t!  I need to get out of here!”  The turtle grins.  “Why don’t my brothers and I give you a hand?”  Three more turtles step out of the darkness.  Syl remains silent, not really sure what to say.  She feels like she’s gone crazy.

“Hey, Dusty, come ‘ere!”  One of the turtles gestures, and a big orange and white plane trundles forward.  The same turtle (wearing a blue thing over his eyes) speaks again.  “All right guys, we’ll open the lid, and Dusty, you fly ‘er out!”  Syl has no idea what’s going on, but the turtles don’t give her time to speak or even think.  One of the turtles plops her on the back of the plane, then all four of them disappear.  The plane revs and, with a running start, launches itself into the air.  

If she had thought that she’d been afraid before, she’d been wrong.  Now she’s afraid.  No.  She’s terrified.  Horses … are not meant to fly.  She does her best to cling to the back of the plane as it wobbles awkwardly through the air, and tries desperately not to scream.  She thinks the plane is trying to help.  She doesn’t want to offend it.

They fly higher and higher, and after some time, a flat ceiling finally swims into view.  The lid.  Still closed.  The fly closer and closer, and Syl’s fear finally bubbles over.  “WE’RE GOING TO CRASH!!!!”  But, at the last moment, a crack in front of them appears.  As they slip out into the light, she hears a faint, “cowabunga!  Good luck!”  And then she’s free.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Erebor - 06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Smother - 06-18-2015, 11:57 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Shannisoran - 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Engelsfors - 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Engelsfors - 06-19-2015, 03:16 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by sleaze - 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Shaytan - 06-19-2015, 01:39 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Ephrelle - 06-19-2015, 03:33 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Wichita - 06-19-2015, 05:37 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Sinder - 06-19-2015, 05:44 PM
    RE: Oh look, a quest! Round one - by Syl - 06-19-2015, 07:31 PM