• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Desolation comes upon the sky // Leilan

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

It's been pleasant, here. In the extreme.

Once, long ago, she would have resented the pleasantries, the peace. But she is old now. Wizened. Come back from the dead, to boot. With powerful memories of exactly what war wrought, of the exact suffering it causes, Scorch knows better now than to be so foolhardily in favour of war. She had seen it kill her best friends, had seen it kill children, had seen it... Kill.

And even in the past, she hadn't been wont to kill. When the faeries had selected her for a quest, to be pitted against herself until she either died or conquered the apparition... Even then Scorch had chosen the lesser of evils, had sent her enemy into a portal into another realm instead of murdering the dreampt-up figure.

That is why she now can manipulate darkness as well as light - because she had always been an equal mix of both, through and through.

It's evening in Nerine, a dim light cascading down into the forest from where it sets along the sea-line just off the cliffs that she calls home. Her head is lowered, lips tearing off blades of grass, a quiet conversation taking place between herself and her deceased husband Hestoni, to whom she is connected via ghost whispering. They talk of their children, and sometimes a smile sneaks across the rat's lips as pleasant memories come to mind. Ea juts in sometimes to comment some inaccuracy or simply to also reminisce.

Her current children are off playing together, somewhere. But she is content.

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

@[Leilan]
    [Image: scorch2.png]

Trekori had been a curious little colt; too bad the kid had wings and took off, leaving his elder grounded without being able to counter his opinions properly. His nephew had, however, at least instructed him to go find his mother because she was 'back from the dead'.

Leilan hadn't taken too long before making the trek; even if he was slower than any winged horse, at least he would make it before the snow and ice made all of that impossible. It was still cold wherever the roaning stallion went; but being on the move made it bearable. He did not have anything better to do anyway, and he had not seen his mother for most of his life. Somehow she had managed to die without him being around, but apparently she was already back before he was, by some curious way of the Beqanna fairies' magic. He had heard of her passing and then now he heard she was returned - odd how those things went by. Almost as if she never died.

He wondered for a moment who else was dead, but did not think lingering on that would help him.

The silver-maned man strode through the forest and the riverlands like it was nothing, but the weather hadn't been too hard on him and he reached the northern cliff-hugged land soon enough. Roaming the border for a while, he thought on how to approach.

In the end, he just decided to boldly crash forward, straight towards Nerine's centre. He assumed someone might approach and ask about this before attacking, but his scent might match his parent's enough to not be attacked immediately, and even if he was, he had hooves and teeth too.

After a while he was definitely done searching on his own. He shrugged off any ideas about attacks, and called out to the sky. It would be easier that way.

@[Scorch] has been edited to fit better
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Her pleasant conversation was rudely interrupted by a piercing call, sounded by a voice that she couldn't place as any Nerinian she knew. With some hasty goodbyes issued to Hestoni and Ea, as well as some others, Scorch raised her head from the grass and swallowed a last bite. Her dragon eyes flicked from lid to lid, attempting first night vision, but the setting sun was still to bright; when she settled on heat vision, she spotted the figure: a stallion, making his way towards the center of the kingdom as if he owned the place.

Not on Scorch's watch, gods be damned.

With the light and dark mixing at this true twilight hour, Scorch's powers were at their most powerful. As she kicked into a canter towards the bumbling figure, shafts of light and dark mixed and created tangible spears, flying at her side and ready to defend her kingdom. Normally, strangers didn't get this offensive of a reaction from the Nerinian Advisor - but strangers usually waited on the border, instead of charging right in.

"Stop!" Her authoritative voice rang out into the twilight when the stallion came into direct visibility. Too full of adrenaline, the mare forgot to flip back to regular vision, halting just in front of the male with the spears pointed right at his throat. "Didn't your mother teach you any goddamn manners, trespasser?"

It was then that she remembered to switch her vision.

Gods.

The spears dropped to the earth with a thud, and then dissolved as her mind become completely occupied with memories. He was bigger now, completely grown as she had never seen him, with a beautiful coat and eyes that were so distinctly a mix of hers and Hestoni's. Her charred mouth hung open limply, her eyes (their original green) filling with tears as the scent of one of her own brood filled her nostrils. She forgets her anger, and in the next instant, has the male in a different kind of choke hold.

A hug.

"Leilan," she choked, pulling him closer even though they were already as smushed together as she could manage. "Oh baby, where have you been? I haven't seen you since..." She closed her eyes against the memory of her death, shaking her head and smiling instead at this new joy of having her youngest son with her. "No matter. You're here now."

Pulling back, Scorch met his gaze and then gave him a one over, a shaky, joyful smile adorning her tear-streaked face. "How have you been baby?"

Scorch

@[Leilan]

Shit.

There had been a miscalculation.

One instant he calls; hearing no immediate call in return he leisurely wallowed forwards. He was no real stranger here, this was home. In a way. I mean, he knows the place, although he hadn't really spent his childhood as a proper son of the queen, instead wandering literally everywhere and spooking sisters and whoever else was near to spook.

The next instant she's upon him like a warhammer; her voice demands him to stop, but he's slow enough not to take two more steps. Good grief, he's glad he didn't; he's suddenly surrounded by some kind of magic spears pointing at his neckline. He holds his head high, though not in pride at the moment - he'd underestimated how fierce a Nerinian might be in preventing his coming - fierce he had expected, but a threat on his life a little less; especially if the threat came with all the magic a Beqannian mare had to offer.

He bursts at the question though - steps back to out his laugh, for he knows he does not want it to be his last. "No..." he hiccups, "I don't think you had the time!"

He does know manners, of course. When his mother finally remembers to use a normal, day vision instead of that attack mode view that had almost cost him a few drops of blood, she drops the one attack for another - almost choked in the embrace, he knows to hug her back and not ask questions until she has settled down. His hairless mother was always an emotional creature; even though the most frequent of that might be anger or irritation, that was still an emotion.

She doesn't finish her sentence, but perhaps it's better that way. He knows he's been Away, but he's been good, so he shrugs a little. "Heard you died. Then I hear you're alive. Figured I should visit sometime." he quirks. When she ask how he's been the smile becomes a bit more mischievous. "Oh you know, boy things. Nothing too bad. But apparently it's not Beqanna." he adds. He's as vague on the travelling part as the travelling is or was to him, so he doesn't talk about it much. But it was good, to have friends his age, friendly rivals and a place to tease girls their age and younger. It's only that tiny bit of him that finally grew up that reminded him to come home; but now he's planning to continue is careless lifestyle as best as he can.

@[Scorch]
    |

Well, for all his trickstering as a child and even now as an adult, Leilan knew his mother better than perhaps many of her children. He understood how highly the mare felt every emotion, no matter its kind, and knew also not to get in the way of the expression of such. His neck draped around hers, pulling her just as close, leaves her heart full and content, a smile blossoming wetly on her tear-streaked lips.

Too caught up in the swelling of her heart to react to her son's well-aimed jibe about manner, Scorch could only smile as she stepped back to exchange slightly calmer words with her youngest son. His voice sounded far deeper than when last she heard it (and just how long ago might that have been? When he was still a colt? Younger? She shook the thoughts from her mind. They were here together now), and she marveled at its sound.

He sounds like me, Hestoni mused from the Afterlife.
    Yes, he does, Scorch conceded.

"Well, I'm glad you are back after all, my son." She reached out to nuzzle his nose affectionately, far from over the euphoria at getting to be in the presence of one of her own blood again. "Your father wants you to know he loves you, and while we're on the topic, so do I." She smiled again, snuffling, trying to reign in the tsunami of love that she felt threatening all her mental coastlines.

"But enough of this sappy stuff, I know it's boring to such dashing young men." Ah, sometimes the mom cliche just cannot be escaped. But she pushed on anyway, oblivious to how cringy she could be - far too happy to notice anything of the sort. "Is this the first land you've visited since the Reckoning? There are many others now... If I raised you at all right, I think you might be interested in joining one of them?"

Scorch

@[Leilan]

Not knowing about Scorch's newfound ability to talk to the dead, seeing as she got it after returning to the living world, the silver roan cocks his head sideways a little. "He does?" he asks her. Not that he doesn't believe her; she's his mother, to him she would not lie about such things: it just strikes him as odd that she would know this without his father being present. He takes the comment that she loves him, too, without further comment. He knows that it is true, as she he only expressed her emotions so deeply just before.

He chuckles when she changes the subject. The way she brings it, sounds like she's centuries old instead of... decades. Hmm. Never mind. She's still old enough for such comments. But it raises a question. "Mother, are there any relatives I don't know about?" he asks her. "I met with Trekori recently, and even if he's way too serious about himself, I assume there may be more." He's not sure about all his siblings sitting still and not reproducing, or in fact, if after him and Wrynn there may have been more siblings - he left as a yearling, no, maybe even earlier than that, after all.

As to her question, he nods. "Stuck to the common lands so far. I haven't been able to pinpoint everyone and every Kingdom yet, so I would like to visit them before settling on one." He has to admit, Nerine has induced the most 'home'-related feelings for him so far, but that does not mean he should always belong where his mother lives. Perhaps it might even be better not to; just occasionally visit. He's also not entirely sure if he should be a warrior, diplomat, or something in-between. Although diplomatics strike him as boring in the long run, it would be nice to wander the island of Beqanna and meet new horses along the way. And even if the warrior caste appeals to him, he has not magic traits whatsoever to help him overcome another horse's perks. Perhaps in time, if the fairies would grant him some, hmm. Or maybe he should practise on wild animals, more or less protecting others from predators that come to take away the foals. He's kind of clueless at this point. "I'd need to find a goal to work to, first. I think." Yes, he can be serious indeed, if he wants to.

@[Scorch] I think this is better readable for the text?
    |

"Oh, right, you have no idea -- no one does -- ahem." She cleared her throat, clearly flustered due to the high emotions felt during their reunion. But her smile remained stubbornly in place, refusing to let anything stand in the way of the overwhelming joy she felt. "I came back from the dead, but I am still able to speak with them. That is why I know your father's words." You were always just so smooth with your words babe. (Shut up Hestoni).

With that situation sufficiently explained, Leilan deigned to answer her question with one of his own. Scorch frowned slightly at the inquiry, hard pressed to even remember her own children never mind the dozens of grandchildren. But for him, she stood in reflective thought until some names made themselves available to her tongue.

"Yes, Trekori does seem to be a bit of a stick in the mud, but everyone on Noori's branch is if you ask me. So from her there's also Takei, Nihlus, Cerva, and Daemron. Kaida has twins, Sunfyre and Starfyre. Shahrizai and his wife Ilka have too many children to count, and their children have children too - most recognizably, Heartfire, Rapture, and Longclaw. Ea and her husband Ramiel have children too, Sela, Sabrael, some others. I heard rumour of Vi having a daughter, Reshi I think; and... That's about it. I've also adopted two children, Philomena and Kha." She paused, pulling a small face at the news she delivered next. "Ea passed on not long ago. And I haven't heard from Wrynn in... Since before I died." She couldn't imagine the pain at being separated from one's twin; she herself had been a triplet, and had always maintained a close bond with one of their number, a deceased stallion called Crito. She thought of him, and her lost daughter, fondly, hoping that Leilan would take the blow well.

Their conversation moved forward though, much as life is prone to doing, and she listened to him explain his travels. She had been a wanderer only once in her life, and on the time she had found her husband, who made sure she never left home again - home being the land they raised all their children in. But for most, and for Leilan it would seem, the opposite occurred: a constant wandering, with home being found maybe once, for only a brief time.

"Well," she began in her hoarse voice, "While I admire you for your willingness to explore, I may be able to offer some insight as to which kingdom might suit you." Her red-yellow eyes flashed bright teal blue, clearly excited and scheming. "Visit Ischia, if you'll take my word for it. Seek out Brennen. I think that what he has to say will be goal enough for you."

Scorch

@[Leilan] Readability is way better this way, nice fix!

Hmm? No-one had any idea? Why, that sounds a bit strange, but then she comes up with an answer - ah, she talks to the dead now.
    It's not too odd considering Beqanna's standards, and Leilan nods with a chuckle on his face. "Do say hi for me. It would have been better had you pulled him back with you, but seeing you alive is a miracle in itself I hear say." he chuckles. His mother is indeed not that smooth with her words, whereas Leilan has somehow practised it - though not for the greatest purposes in life perhaps. A joke here, a well-aimed jest there, just kidding around; still, he knows what to say to make another drop their words like a wave, should he want to. He's just not using it for boring purposes.

Like just now; Scorch is proud of her large family and does not hesitate to spill out the names to him. He knows he has a total of 10 full siblings, 11 if he includes himself; it's no surprise that it is a long list of nephews, nieces, and cousins. He stores the names as best as he can - perhaps if he hears them again he will remember that they are family in one way or another. Oh, and since Scorch wants more kids, she had adopted two more. A total of thirteen, how fitting for a number. But his own twin... he grimaces. "Well if you couldn't find her on the other side, at least that means that's not where she is. It sounds like you should have been able to talk to her then, with her own ghost stuff going around. I mean..." he shakes his head. She was always saying that the 'other foals' were there, Rain most notably. "I'll just have to look out for her on my travels, then." he concludes. No Wrynn. Too bad - he had always pestered his twin, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love her. It feels a bit empty not to be able to poke her one way or the other, but perhaps he can find other siblings to do that to. Or Kori, if he can find him again.

It seems his mother knows indeed something that no-one else does, when she talks about Ischia and Brennen. He raises his brow. "You make it sound so mysterious, I might almost be disappointed when I get there." he counters. But if his mother has an idea, it is probably best to follow up and ask the questions to someone else. She's not easy on information, at least not always and he doesn't expect her to be. "But I'll see what he has to say. It ís on the other side of the land, though." he tells her - which means that if he should settle in Ischia, he's not likely to visit as often. Good in one way, but something that Scorch should know about. Leilan has no wings or other means for fast travel, after all.

|

He quipped easily about bringing his father back from the afterlife, and internally, Scorch smirked. Don't get your hopes up, silly woman, came Toni's baritone; but her hopes were already sky-high, and indeed her schemes did, too. But her face remained impassive throughout the comment, ears forward-tipped, hiding the fact that indeed the miracle of her rebirth would not be the only one if she had anything to say about it.

Leilan's jestering slowed at the next topic, however, and Scorch allowed her head to lower slightly in mourning, though she agreed with his assessment of the situation: Wrynn couldn't be dead, otherwise they'd be able to communicate. Still, they both felt the beautiful girl's absence like a pain in their side. "She's out here somewhere," came Scorch's voice, quiet but reassuring. "With the way you children are coming out of the woodwork these days, it's only a matter of time before she reappears, too."

Shaking her hammer head, the mare cleared such tragic thoughts from her mind, concentrating instead on the more fun and light-hearted conversation of Ischia - though in truth, the topic happened to be more serious and political than Scorch let on. A foxy grin coloured her expression, lips wrinkling up her hairless skin. "If you're the son I raised, knew, and loved for a lifetime, then you won't be disappointed." Her eyes twinkled mischievously, changing colours rapidly like rushing water. "And though it's a long journey, I think you'll find it greatly worthwhile."

Scorch

@[Leilan]

Leilan grins at what his mother is saying. "Well if that's true then I'll finally get to know them better than by name and per your description." he offers on the subject of siblings running around the place; happy to find a lighter side to the subject. Not that he can't handle emotions, but he'd rather steer away from the heavy ones whenever he can. It's not his nature to dwell on grave things.

His mother copied his own foxy grin; mirroring his image in a similar expression. She wouldn't let on about the thing with Ischia; only that it would be worthwhile. Leilan cocks his head at the idea, and shrugs. "Just so you know, I have no wings so I don't know if I'll come back to visit." he gently pokes. "But of course, Nerine doesn't seem like a good place for me to keep hanging about for long. All you and your crazy Amazon girls are far too princessy for my liking." he jests, not thinking that his mother would like that idea of his, but truth be told, Amazons are usually so pride of themselves that he's never gonna be good at persuading one - plus, he feels like they're all watching the few males they have (even if that's strictly not true).

@[Scorch]
    |