• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Blood is Thicker than Water [Kylin, Klaudius]

Kromium & Karat

Each day began and ended much the same.  Mother often had kingdom duties to attend to so the twins spent most of their time together.  Mock fighting and exploring every cavern within the realm.  Their only strict rules was to never leave the island.  They obeyed for the most part.  Only looking across the sandy land bridge occasionally.  Minds wondering what was beyond the ridgeline on the other side.  Mother promised one day, when they were older, she would take them on a trip to another friendly kingdom.  

After having met their father, he had became a staple to their daily routine.  He often wasn't far from sight.  Always patrolling from the safety of the sky.  Neither foal barred wings like their parents.  Only the color of their points and powers of earthly metals were hints of their lineage.  Karat could often be found collecting pretty shells and making armor from them around the base of her neck.  Kromium was continually transforming iron from his own body into harden parts.  His hooves were fully formed into iron clads that clanked against the rocky cliffs to the north.  

Both twins were meandering about the beaches when they saw movement hovering above the sea.  It looked to be two amethyst colored equine coming towards them from the isles that dotted the horizon.  They could make out the undeniable expanse of their fathers bird-like wings, but the other seemed to float atop the wavy surface...

Their curious eyes watched as quickly the two horses neared them.  Smiles breaking the thin lines of their lips as they see it is indeed their father.  Their tiny hooves prance about the sands as they call out to him, "Dad!" In unison they reach for his attention but they are quick to realize he has every intention to land along the shores beside them.  Karat rushes to him with her collection.  Anxious to show him the one that looks like mothers... 

Blood is Thicker than Water

@[Kylin]
    kylin
    html code by Toli, design idea based on "Dovev" by Laura

There is my mind, there is my heart.
    His words contradict with his actions. He tells her that he stays, and yet he moves away from her side in cold blood. Her gaze is still locked on his, after he had gently urged her to meet his. Tears still linger in her eyes, they cloud her vision, but not her mind. Klaudius is only forcing her to find her own footing, watching over her from a little away. That is not the same as leaving. He does not leave.

And has more family to offer on top of that. Perhaps they are moving too soon, but Kylin cannot help it but to be somewhat excited for this. Klaudius’ own enthusiasm only fuels her own. Enough for her to follow him, even going as far as shaking the droplets from herself. Water has never bothered her, but it had just felt like the right thing to do.

His challenge makes her laugh. It reminds her of how she and Ivar used to race, and although his disappearance is still a sore spot, she remembers the fun they used to have. Their gazes meet, and although she does not yet voice it out loud, there is a glint in her eyes. You sure you’re up to it? Kylin does not linger back to watch him take the skies, her eyes are focussed on her route; across the water.

Oh yes, she would love to take a swim – and that meant a lot – but there was no way she would be able to beat his flight. So instead her hooves touch the surface of the water, kicking it up in her wake. By the time she reaches the shore, her legs, chest and belly are soaked. Kylin’s side heave, nostrils wide, but she looks more alive than she has been in a long while.

And one second later she looks like she has seen a ghost. Twins, he wants her to meet his twins. Like her and Kharon. A pair of siblings, children of Ischia’s leader, once again, like her and Kharon.

She watches them from the side, silent and shaking. For a moment the past and now mingle. It is not Klaudius and his twins, but Kerberos together with Kharon and Kali that she sees. From their bond and their love. It could have just as well been her family.

And they are, Kylin realises. Just not in the way she had known family until now, but the only one she has left. So she forces herself forward, fins tight against her sides as she dips her head. ”Those are beautiful” she tells the girl, a soft smile upon her lips.

@[Neo] <3

Kromium & Karat

Krom hooves are heavied by the weight of the iron that creates them, but still he manages a quick gallop towards his father's now landed body.  He wished he had wings like his dad.  Flying looked so much easier than walking...

Karat rushes past chanting, "Daddy! Daddy! Look what I found." She raises her proud head to reveal the necklace of shells along her chest.  It resembled more of a breast plate with a green scallop shell hung delicately in the middle. "Do you see it?! Do you? It looks just like mommy's doesn't it?!" She squeals in delight at her find.  She finds him nodding in agreement as he brushes it with his muzzle.  That's when she hears soft words coming from the other lavender horse he had been traveling with.  

Her small face turns to look at the mare and she is quick to engage her, "Thank you! It took me DAYS to collect just the right ones for my armor." She puffs out her narrow chest proudly, "I can make armor out of anything natural just like my daddy." She is beaming now, "And Kromiums' body is starting to turn into shiny metal for some reason.  We aren't sure what's happening to him... See his hooves? Aren't they weird." Her eyes find Kroms' hooves before looking to his embarrassed stricken face.  Noticing what she said had hurt his feelings, she reaches for his cheek with her nose, "I didn't mean YOU were weird Krommie." Bumping her muzzle into him she turns back to the mare, "My names Karat! What's your name?!" Happy to finally meet another local, she can't help but create chatter.  She was good at it after all...

@[Kylin] Karat is obviously taking over lol
    kylin

The sight of the twins conflict her. A part of her wants to smile at the familiarity, and another part flinches because of that familiarity. They are both endearing and horrifying. A great memory and a slap in the face. That what she could’ve had and what she lost.

But they – especially the lavender girl – don’t give her a chance to get lost in her sorrow. She rushes past her green brother, both racing towards their father in favour of his attention. Kylin smiles slightly at the sight of Klaudius interacting with his children, and she regrets speaking up as the girl breaks free from him.

Who was she to destroy their family moment?

Not that Karat seems to mind. The girl does not stop talking once she starts, and a whole bunch of information washes over Kylin. Karat accepts her presence fully and only seems glad to welcome her into the moment. The lavender woman tries to keep up, her lips twitching into a small smile as she lightly nods her head.

Hazel eyes follow to look at the colt’s hooves, a sight that has her frozen. ”Ferrum..” Just like Father. Kylin does not realise she’d spoken out loud, only staring as Karat continues babbling. The thing is, she does know what is happening to Kromium, and it only reminds her to one another that had left her behind.

Again, Karat effectively pulls her from those thoughts. The girl’s question make Kylin look up, and although she only blinks her eyes a bit confused at first, she does answer. ”K-Kylin..” her voice hoarser due to the sudden lump in her throat than she likes. ”My name is Kylin.”

Then her gaze moves to Klaudius, insecurity shining through them. Yes, she’s more than happy to meet the twins, to get to know this other family she has, but at the same time does she not know what she is to them. Or what Klaudius wants her to be. And, most of all, how to behave around them.

@[Neo]
    Sorry for the wait!

Upon landing he folds his wings away as both children rush to him.  Karat and her boisterous personality starts rattling off about shells and he is quick to acknowledged them.  Brushing his muzzle along Kroms' emerald crest and then to Karats armor.  "Yes I see... They are lovely," he agrees as he attempts to focus their minds on their guest.  But Karat is quick to beat him in that as well.  He can only smile and look at Kylin in almost apology.  They, well Karat, was sometimes too much.

His ears twist to catch the conversation but it is drawn to a whispered word from Kylin. Ferrum. His brow creases in wonder on how she knew what it was but before he could speak up Kylin is giving her name with a stammer.  He then speaks above the chatter and tells Karat that perhaps Kylin would love a shell necklace as well and she should go find some down the beaches of which they stood.  Excitedly she bounds off down the beach and there is a moment of peace.  He chuckles slightly, "I'm sorry.  She can be a bit overbearing." Extending his lavender muzzle to nudge Kylins neck, he turns to walk down the isles white beaches.  "You know of Equus Ferrum?" He inquires of her.  Wanting to know just how she knows of it?  It was a mystery to them but he assumes it was passed down from his family.  It slightly worried him because he has never seen it expressed.

Krom lazily turns to follow alongside his father.  Karat was far to entergetic for him and he was curious to know of his condition as well...

Klaudius
    I was lightning, before the thunder

@[Kylin]
    kylin

Her thoughts are still half focussed on the colt’s ability. It is impossible to push the reminder away completely, though she does try to focus. How could she not? Karat is endearing and her more silent brother just so. And that is where they differ from her and Kharon, something that makes her see the twins separately from herself and her own twin. Makes it easier.

But it is Klaudius’ thoughtful suggestion that makes her heart skip a beat and stomach flutter. Had she just really heard that right? ”I would” she tells Karat with a smile, confirming Klaudius’ words just before the girl bounces off. The sight makes the lavender woman smile, not yet chuckle like Klaudius at her side does. ”She means well” Kylin tells him, turning her head in his direction to offer him a smile. No need for him to apologize, and she finds Karat kind of refreshing. The filly welcomed her without a second thought.

The touch is too short for her liking. By the time she shifts her weight to lean into it, he has already pulled away. She catches herself quite smoothly, turning her body to follow him one step behind. Thankfully their pace is slow, their race to the shore has burned her up. His question slows her down, falling another couple of steps behind, and Kylin does not meet his gaze. ”So I was right..” she murmurs, more to herself than anybody else, and then nods her head.

”Father had, has, that ability. Though it showed different from Kromium’s…” she mumbles, bending her neck to glance at bay and green colt. She does not miss the curiosity in his gaze, offering him a smile before her hazel eyes find Klaudius’ again. ”His entire body was, is, made of iron, and he could manipulate it too,” she manages to say before she starts chuckling softly. The memory is the most obvious one and although she’d been scared to death at the time, she has to admit it now is kind of funny. ”He once created this metal frame on his back to save Kharon from downing.”

Her words spark a deep interest inside him.  They were more closely related than just the matching tone of their pelts after all.  Not as direct as him and Krone but definitely related.  He smiles at her after thought of her own father.  Even more intruiged now that Krom could potentially mold the metal he was turning into.  With another drawn out stride, he glances to Krom who is curiously listening on his other side.  Soon turning his view back to Kylin as he spoke, "We just noticed the metal not more than a few weeks ago... It seems to be spreading, if that's possible.  I'm not exactly sure how it will fully affect him as he grows." A gentle smile finds his lips.  His head straightening to look out to Karat who is busily gathering shells. "Your father sounds like a good dad..." He comments before reaching out his muzzle to brush along her neck.

Krom walks quietly beside them.  His thoughts sorting out all of which was said.  His heart begins to race nervously as he thinks about being consumed by the heavy metal at his hooves.  From what Kylin said, at least it wasn't going to kill him, which was a slight relief.  Still he was afraid of the unknown...

Karat, down the shoreline, bends her head to examine a gathering of shells at her hooves.  Her lavender nose brushes over them lightly and they begin to string together.  The biggest and most curly shell is seated at the base.  Her nose slips through the center loop and in rising her head it slides down her neck.  Dangling around her neckline safely now, her little hooves race off down the beach towards them.  Sand kicking up behind her, along with her purple streamer-like tail.  

It doesn't take long and she sliding to a stop before them.  Specifically Kylin.  Winded breaths escape her as she cheerfully looks to the mare.  Excited hooves prance in place as her head lowers to remove the necklace of shells, "Do you like them?! Do you? This one's my favorite! It's so twirly and shiny!!" She is quick to point of the centerpiece of the collection to Kylin.  Eagerly waiting for the mare to wear the gift she bestowed upon her...

Klaudius
    I was lightning, before the thunder

@[Kylin]
    kylin

Until spoken out loud, she stays oblivious to how close their family ties really are. Yes, the signs are pretty obvious. From their shared lavender coats, and it is not just them, but Father, Kharon and Kali too. Klaudius’ has also wings, exactly like Kharon’s, though who knew from which side of the family her brother got them. But perhaps the most obvious relation shows through Kromium’s iron. That unique ability has she never ever seen with anybody else. But, like said before, Kylin is oblivious to all the signals.

Without really realising it she has moved into his personal space as they walk side by side. Like always, Kylin is searching for support, something – someone – to hold on to. ”He was..” she answers softly, sighing softly as she tilts her head to lean into the touch. Oh, how much she’s missed that. Still misses.

”I’ve only known Father to be fully metal..” she tells them, voice softer than before. ”I’m sorry..” she adds in a soft mumble, glancing sideways to meet Klaudius’ gaze for a short second. Her gaze is apologetic, though with a small smile. ”But it never affected him badly.” That, hopefully, would ease some of their worries.

Worries they are allowed to forget through Karat. At least Kylin does. No matter how sad she is, the sight of the prancing and bouncing girl makes her smile. It’s a small smile, one that is genuine and both happy ánd sad. ”They’re beautiful Karat. You found such so many and that one is so pretty.” It’s the truth. Karat didn’t waste any effort and made a wonderful little trinket.

To meet the girls eye level Kylin drops her head, the velvet of her nose gently bumping against Karat’s forehead. ”Is it really for me?” That question is genuine too. Never before had anybody given her something special like this. Something made, for her, and her only and only with the best intentions. No catch, no exchange, but a gift.

@[Neo]
    Kromium ~ Karat

Krom bends his neck to view the lavender mare on his father's other side.  Her words are quiet as she speaks of this ability he has inherited.  She seems at ease with the idea so his worries too begin to fade.  He thinks of all she has said about having an all metal body and being able to form metal around him. A new sensation of curiousity comes about him and he's determined to learn more about his powers.  Karat practiced all the time with father and maybe now he would be more apt to participate as well.  Their powers can't be too different.  Dad and Karat formed metal all the time.  With a smile directed to Kylin and a new found determination in his emerald eyes, he looks forward to the future.

His thoughts are quickly interrupted as Karat comes back.  Her cheerful voice rambling as usual.  Often he found her outgoing chatter annoying, but suddenly it was endearing.  The infectious way she caused strangers to smile with her offers of gifts and conversation.  She had talents far beyond casting armor and he was beginning to notice the allure she had.  Kylin is grateful for the kind gesture and it doesn't go without notice that Karat is quite satisfied with it.  The trio having stopped allows him to cross in front of his father and rest at Karats side.  His muzzle reaching to caress her neck, "It's lovely Karat." He comments as she is waiting for Kylin to try it on.

"Of course it's yours!  Here... Let me help you put it on.  It's tricky though.  I'll lift it up and you put your head through the hole... Ok?" It really wasn't that tricky, but for a foal who is unaware, it might be.  So her lavender lips grip the loop of shells, holding it out in front of her so the hole is accessible.  She waits for Kylins nose to part the strings and push her head through before letting go.  She then is quick to explain the rest of the process, "Ok. Now quickly BUT carefully pull your nose up and lift your head REALLY high, like straight up in the air... And, it'll slip down your neck." Smiling at her well executed instructions, she watches happily.  Eyes shifting briefly to her brother at her side before turning back to the mare.  This was the moment she had been waiting for...

@[Kylin]
    kylin

Before Klaudius had come to her rescue, any memory of her family would have been a pang in her heart. Don’t mistake that it isn’t there now, but next to the sharp pain there is something else too. Something light and warm, to offer her support. And thus Kylin can look at Kromium with a small smile, hoping that it would encourage the young colt.

It also helps her keeping herself in check as she looks at the twins. Little by little she notices how they differ from herself and her own twin, and those little differences make her smile. Yes, smile. How can she not, when Karat rambles on and on and on. Something Kylin tries to focus on, instead of the loving touch of Kromium.

”It looks tricky indeed, thank you for helping” she tells Karat with a smile, lowering her dished head and stretching her muzzle out towards the girl. ”Okay, I’m ready.” Slowly she takes a small step forward, allowing Karat to place the necklace right behind her ears, and all the time she is watching the young girl. The further instructions are met with another nod, and a slight amuse twinkle in her eyes.

Kylin follows Karat’s instructions carefully. Her noise points up in the sky as she quickly, but like Karat had said, carefully lifts her head. From this position, head really high, she glances down at the girl from the corner of her eye. ”Like this? Did I do it right?” Of course she had felt the necklace shift and settle into place, but it looked like Karat wat thriving at this. And that Kylin genuinely enjoys to see.