• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [complete]  Event 1 Task 2
    For your first task, well done! It is a difficult thing to admit fears to oneself. To declare them before all is a far greater act. You all competed the task with honor. The first of you earned 5 points for your speed. the next teams received 4, 3 and two points respectively.  Everyone else received 1 point. All teams received 5 points for answering the question correctly. The Princess of the West was in fact Annie Oakley, and her TV representation rode a horse named Target. 

The points stand thus: 

Team Zeta, Madelyn has earned you 10 points. 
    Team Iota, Khaedrik has earned you 9 points.
    Team Delta, Velensia has earned you 8 points. 
    Team Theta, Nayl has earned you 7 points. 
    Team Gamma, Sarkis has earned you 6 points. 
    Team Alpha, Eros has earned you 6 points. 
    Team Beta, Mosrael has earned you 6 points. 
    Team Epsilon, Wishbone has earned you 6 points. 
    Team Kappa, Kagerus has earned you 6 points. 
    Team Eta, Kuma has earned you 6 points. 

Today we gather here at noon. In the heat of the day, your courage shall be tested again. At the other end of the arena is a tree which bears the most lovely golden apples, guarded by a large, venomous serpent. I must have an apple from each of you. 

I also must know: Brave knights of old ride into battle astride their heavy war horses. What was the name given to this brave class of horse? 

The word limit is extended to 500 words for this challenge.
    Everything changes, leaving them standing at one end of the arena in their clusters, a tree at the other end. Even from here, Mosrael can smell the sweet apple scent of the tree, but also the darker undertone of snake. Her heart beats faster, wondering if this serpent is venomous or of the horse-squashing kind.

She is afraid, but courage is not the absence of fear, but the overcoming of it. So the little spotted is mare is amongst the first to charge, nimble feet carrying her to the tree shoulder-to-shoulder with several others. At the last minute she slows up just enough to look up into the branches, trying to see the dread creature. And - there - a flash of scale differentiates him from the bark and leaves and Mosrael throws herself the other way around the tree in a twist of brown limbs.

Another leaps brings her to the lowest of branches and she snatched an apple from the foliage, ears pinned to her head as she prepares to duck out of the way of any flash in fangs or coils of scaly snake. It comes before she has time to take a deep breath and go back to the goddess, the open mouth of the reptile diving not for her but someone standing next to her, reaching up for their own apple. She can’t yell because of the golden fruit she already carries, so Mosrael does the next best thing, throwing herself bodily into the stranger, throwing them both to the ground. They are a tangle of limbs for a moment before she recovers, wincing as she gains her feet, but neither of them seem to be bitten, which was of course the goal. Amber eyes memorize the stranger’s presumably surprised face and then she ducks out of the way of another of the serpent’s strikes and gallops back to the golden goddess, proferring her sweet prize.

A heavy warhorse was called a “destrier”.
    The first event ends, and though I have not scored well, at least I have told the truth and earned some points at all.

When the Goddess Nike announces our next task, a shiver runs through me. Before us lies a tree, and guarding it, a serpent with eyes that I feel I almost know. The others shift beside me, looking at one another as if wondering who will go first: but my eyes are not on them.

That serpent represents the darkness that I am so afraid of. But now more than ever I must not let it conquer me.

Striking forward from the group, my legs propel me into a gallop, my Arabian tail streaming behind me as the distance between myself and the tree grows less. The snake, its tongue shuddering from between its death-heralding lips, slithers on the ground, coiling and widening its face, gleeful that its first prize has presented itself.

But I am not a prize to be won.

When only a foot lies between the snake and I, I leap over top it, kicking out with my hind legs to dissuade the vile creature from lashing out at me. I land with a thud on the other side, and the snake - far more agile than I - is already closing the distance I have put between it and myself. Shrieking in fear but also exhilaration, I start away from the tree, reaching up just in time to snag a golden apple off of its heavenly branches.

Well, this certainly is another way to the tell the story of the Garden of Eden, now isn't it?

A chill runs through my spine as I wheel around and am cantering back to the Goddess with her prize as a sudden realization comes over me: the snake had lashed out at me as I had grabbed the apple, and the only reason it had not landed its bite in my flesh was because I had begun to run: at the last moment, its venomous fangs had struck me hind right hoof.

Shuddering, I lay the apple before the Goddess, hoping I have done my team proud with my courage.

--

word count 363

answer: destriers.
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    The next task at hand is something she has never encountered before. Madelyn has never fought anything in her life before. She has always sought out protection from others—a time she had often found friends and a temporary family.

But she has found herself in this—a place to devote herself. Perhaps to prove to herself, and even others, that she is courageous.

She is brave.

Madelyn moves forward at a quick pace, following the path towards the end of the arena. She can spot the tree with the golden apple. It’s easy to see—the way the gold shines with the sun lighting it up. It’s beautiful she admits.

The heat has her sweating already, but she pushes forward.

Eventually she reaches the tree—though she is not alone. There wrapped around the tree, blinded by the sun on her way to here, is a large, venomous snake. It quickly strikes out at her, Madelyn quickly steps aside from the attack. She barely misses it though, but not enough to get caught in its poisonous bite.

The serpent then unwraps itself from the tree trunk, slithering towards her.

Madelyn quickly rears up and bops it on the head with her front hooves. The serpent then falls to the ground, unconscious.

“Well that was too easy,” she says with a childish laughter. Madelyn then grabs one of the golden apples from the tree and makes her way back to where she had come from. She lays the apple before Nike and steps back among the others within the arena.

Word count: 260

Answer: destriers
    The sun burns hot on her mahogany skin. The Goddess is giving them another task and she is vibrating again under the thrum of the crowd and her contenders. As the golden mare speaks, Wishbone looks to the other end of the arena, where the tree stands high and mighty. She can see the golden apples, as the sunlight reflects off their curvature. She can also see the thick snake twisting through the branches of the tree.

She’s encountered all sorts of predators in her time alive already, being the adventurous one that she is. A lion had been present at her birth (creeping through the tall grasses with paws silent and teeth bared), a tiger cub had lept on her (though it had only been a new friend in a different form), a shadow-wolf had howled her name (under the glow of the moon, alongside its governor) — all of this she faced with a brave face.

There are snakes on Tephra, Wishbone reflects. She has seen them before, tying themselves in knots among the upper branches of the jungle-trees. None of them had been labeled as venomous (or perhaps she just hadn’t been close enough to be touched by them) but she had seen their quick, witty ways of life. Her ears drag themselves into the thick of her dark, tangled mane.

She would just have to be quicker. Wishbone knows it can sense her every movement as she approaches at a reasonably fast pace. She slows when she reaches the tree, keeping her ears twisted toward the serpent while her amber eyes quickly search out her target. She spots a lower-hanging golden apple, glowing dully among the shadow of the leaves.

But the snake is twisting toward her, fangs bared and tongue flicking. Just when the predator might strike, Wishbone pivots and races around to the other side of the tree. She spots another apple, this one higher up, and immediately rears onto her hind legs to snatch it before the snake can reach her. As she is falling with the apple clenched in her teeth, the predator’s jaws snap the air just above her face.

Without waiting to see if the serpent strikes again, Wishbone is racing back to the goddess with her cargo safe between her teeth.

Word Count: 382.
    Answer: The name given was destrier.
    Not all doubts can stand sunlight; nor can dissolving; dissolute Khaedrik who hates the blister of sun-kiss and sun-slap. He; malcontent and uneasy under the gazes of the onlookers staring down at him from above. All he wants to do is wrap himself in darkness and disappear from this place, but alas it is a luxury he does not have. His muscles twitch with unease; far from the archetype of some courageous gladiator about to perform tasks of glory and honor. But Khaedrik wills straining muscles into movement; towards tree and serpent. Oh, he fears no silly snake - for he brings his own, made of shadow and malice. The thing, with eyes gleaming yellow-bright and ominous. His shadow snake hisses a warning to its brethren- made of far flesh and muscle, and Khaedrik simply steps between the two. Fearless and brash, to pluck an apple from the tree. The snake coils, ready to attack but he is too fast; for what is there to fear when he can teleport away in the blink of a reptile-eye? None. None at all. And so it is that Khaedrik offers the golden apple to the goddess. Like stealing candy from a child.

The horse you seek is the mighty destrier.
    Trivia answer: Knights rode the destriers

men-at-arms rode coursers and rounceys

A general title for war horses was chargers

Post (200 words):

She hopes that she isn’t doing too terribly. But now is not the time to focus on that. The pretty mare begins speaking once more. Directing their attention behind her to the tree. Serpent? She swallows bolstered with glance at Warrick. Some take off, in a race to get the apples before the most accessible ones are taken. She begins walking forward, armoring herself in diamond. Sparking against the sun fracturing the light as diamond does. She smiles under the diamond to the snake nodding her head as she’s seen the adults do when they are showing respect to one another. Hello there, I’m Valensia

She watches as the snake spirals its long body around the tree. She begins shuffling around keeping her eyes on the snake while trying to keep eye contact with the snake. I’m sorry to disturb you but I really must She finds one of the apples on a broken branch. The snake launches itself at her, but her armor protects her, and she smiles secretly thanking the creator for the protection. With the apple between her teeth she nods to the snake once more before taking off to give the apple to the golden lady.
    The sun grows hotter as the day wears on, and Kuma feels a thick layer of perspiration cover her skin. The task the goddess gives her is a difficult one - face the serpent, and get an apple from the tree. 

A few horses before her charge forward. She lets out a mumbled curse to herself for not going sooner, before she is pulling herself towards the tree. The snake is huge (much bigger than she’d ever seen before), with bold red stripes upon its black scales. It hisses, fangs threatening to burst through her skin and inject its poison into her veins. 

Her heart beats fast beneath her sternum. Her mind tells her to run, but she thinks better of it. The serpent strikes, long neck lashing out at her. She moves quickly to the side, careful not to stumble and be bitten. She looks up to two yellow eyes following her, and just behind them she finds a low-hanging apple. 

She needed to be quicker. 

With a great leap, she pulls herself from the ground, grasping the Apple between her teeth. She lands safely on the ground just as the serpent lunges at her, and with a great sigh of relief, allows herself to canter back to the goddess, and drop the fruit at her feet. 

Words: 219

The Answer: Knights rose heavy warhorses called “destriers.” Mounted Calvary men rode smaller horses called “Coursers” or “Rounceys.” The generic, interchangeable term for the  warhorses above was “charger.”
    Here they are, gathered, their eyes peering up at this commander who awards them and praises them. Nayl listens to the reward freshly offered to her team, but she doesn’t smile or celebrate. Instead, she intently heeds the next challenge that stands between her and completion.

Across from the arena stands a proud tree, its fruit catching the sunlight and glistening. Nayl regards them with a calculative stare before letting her autumn eyes slide down the trunk to find the serpent slithering from the sandy ground up toward the branches as to better protect its treasure. Many stampede toward the prize like wildebeests, but Nayl is far more meticulous as she approaches the solitary tree.

A slow blink and she can see how others utilize their abilities – their armor, wings, magic – and then she glances down to consider her own options as the snake turns its triangular head toward her, its tongue flickering curiously.

Immortality cannot save her here. Her mind’s walls are moot.

A coy grin creases her lips as Nayl inches closer, the magic in her blood pulsing through her veins and feeding off her adrenaline. She could potentially bring the tree to life – or would it be forced stagnant by otherworldly powers? – but diverts to what surrounds them. The snake is coiling now, wanting her, lusting to poison her like it has others in its life.

But then the earth shakes and something familiar creeps from the ground.

As a reflection of the obstacle, a serpent arises, its body composed of the sand they stand upon. It comes to life with vigor and hisses at the true snake protecting the apples. It provides a diversion. Serpent versus serpent; natural instincts bring them together in a stand-off while Nayl scrambles forward and grabs a golden apple that has been knocked from a branch by her own sand snake. Her fiery eyes twinkle as she spares a glance toward the brawling reptiles. They writhe, snap, and dodge. It actually looks like a dance that lures her attention for a long breath. It lasts briefly, this fight, but just as the tree guardian lunges forward, mouth agape, Nayl releases her grip on the sand creature. It falls away like water, leaving the guardian alone on its branch, its body still poised for more combat. It sees her; their eyes lock, but Nayl merely tilts her head smugly before bringing the apple to their commander, concluding this part of the challenge.

The heavy war horses that knights rode were called Destriers.
    Suddenly the arena in which they stood morphs and a lush trees appears.  Amongst the green-leafed branches hang golden spheres.  The Goddess speaks and is quick to request each participate to snatch one of the apples from the trees canopy, but there is a catch.  Intertwined in the branches is a venomous serpent.  Greedy, it wishes to keep all the delicious fruits for itself.  His heavy forelimb stomps in the dust as his nostrils emit a snort.  Amber eyes watch as other contestant sprint of to claim their prize.  He is in no rush though.  Fore some battles are not won by the quickest but by the most calculated.

He lays in wait.  Watching each event participates strategy.  Some conjure makeshift creatures to distract the serpent, while others use speed or flight.  Oh how he wished he had his flying abilities of his homeland, but alas he did not.  Nor any other magic that most sported in these lands.  He'd have to rely on pure witt in these games.

Finally he decides it is his moment.  His game plan, fake out the greedy snake and use his bulk to his advantage.  He was of a short, stocky breed so agility nor speed was his forte.  Stamina and strength was all his lineage had to offer.  

With a mighty heave forwards from muscular hunches, he lunges towards the tree.  His eyes find the large snake slithering through the canopy branches, gaurding the precious treats.  Eyes narrow upon his competition as his strong legs bring him nearer.  

The slit-eyed demon is waiting for him to reach up and collect one of the golden apples, and that is what he fakes to do.  As he arrives under the tree he bunny hops forward, just past the trunk, as if jumping for an apple.  The snake hisses and lashes out.  Gripping only a mouthful of thick mane.  Slightly off balance the snake struggles to coil back and lash out again.  By that time, he has lowered his head to shove his weight on his front quarters.  Kicking out with his rear hooves and contacting the trees trunk.  A smack echoes through the plains as chunks of bark are sent flying.  The collision causes a viscous shake to the tree and golden globes begin to fall from above.  Small thuds are heard as he is quick to gather his limbs under him again.  Darting forwards quickly to grab an apple that had fallen, between his lips before the snake can recoil...

The Destrier was a classified type of horse in the middle ages, known for carrying knights into war. However, most knights rode smaller horses known as coursers and rounceys. The interchangeable name for all three types was charger.  It is debatable on if the Destriers were the heaviest of the war horses of the middle ages.