• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [complete]  Event 3 Task 1
    There was silence over the arena. The second event had ended on a sad note, but the goddess was pleased with how the competitors had handled it. With a gentle sigh, the Shade of the weeping woman faded away. Nike smiled at the gathering proudly. "I think she will be able to move on now. Well done, all. I hope you will remember this moment in coming days." The score board ripples and shifts once again, reflecting the new points earned. 

Team Alpha, Modicum Mortem has earned you a total of 23 points
    Team Beta, Jesper has earned you a total of 26 points
    Team Gamma, Hestis has earned you a total of 28 points
    Team Delta, Saedís has earned you a total of 12 points
    Team Epsilon, Ilma has earned you a total of 23 points
    Team Zeta, Amorette has earned you a total of 33 points
    Team Eta, Imperial has earned you a total of 22 points
    Team Theta, Nymf has earned you a total of 23 points
    Team Iota, Belgaer has earned you a total of 32 points
    Team Kappa, Wound has earned you a total of 24 points

A breeze blows through, dusting everyone in the arena with a golden shimmer. It is a temporary emotion suppressant, easing the ache of sorrow she knows many of them dealt with in the last trial. 

It is dawn on the day of the third event. The arena is adorned in sunny yellow banners and bunting today, and a crisp southern breeze keeps them moving excitedly. The arena is set up differently today, a clear track running the edge of the space. The final contestants arrive at the center of the arena, and the goddess flashes into their midst once more. 

"Good morning! As promised, today we test your physical strengths. The first way we are going to do this is a classic, straightforward foot race. A short one. Five laps around, and the points will be awarded in the order you cross the finish line. Play fair. Or not." She winks, and a shimmering silver and gold checkerboard line appeared midway through one side of the track. Stalin, Castile, Jinju, Astrophel, Andulvar, Leilan, Durotan, Warrick, Scorch and Hephaestus were motioned to go and line up. 
    "On your mark, get set, GO!"

The question you must answer to qualify your post is: Who is the most recent Triple Crown winner, and who was their jockey?

Edit: Added Team Zeta's points
    The events have been thrilling for Astrophel. He has enjoyed seeing each and every one do their best, but today was his turn.

He rises early with the others, finding himself at the center with the final contestants. She is quick to the point and what their task is—a race.

Astrophel has always enjoyed a good run. He is quick to line up with the others.

When she calls out the word, “GO!” he is off. Ready to win the race. He pushes all of his might into each of the laps. Sweat drips, but eventually he makes it across the finish line.

Word Count: 104
    Answer: American Pharoah was the horses name. The jockey was Victor Espinoza.

Update: Added word count and fixed spacing in posting.
    [Image: ioPeFeU.png]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    So, a race it is to be then. By all means; may the best horse win.

The Goddess implies that there may be some foul play allowed, but Scorch pays her no mind - she would not waste her energy on focusing on the groundwork of others when she could instead simply burst from the pack first - and so she does.

There are others around her quickly as she races, their manes and tails streaming out behind them, but not Scorch, being bald and all. The first four laps go by quickly, her chest heaving by the end, and she is next to someone she does not recognize as the final marking approaches them both. She puts on as much speed as she possibly can, but in the end, it will be up to Nike to judge whether or not she has come first or second, or some other number.

She halts with a snort, excited and feeling powerful.

OOC - American Pharaoh, rode by Victor Espinoza
    [Image: scorch2.png]
    From her position away from the other competitors , she wonders why she had decided to do this. She does not feel like socializing, and yet she'd signed up for this crap. Oh right, she can let go of her frustration through the physical exercise. Listening to Nike Jinju’s expression is blanc, closed off from those around her.

She does not hesitate to start the task. Secretly, a part of her is competitive. Her long, strong legs propel her forward, and without hesitation she dashes down the track. She’s young, and not yet as muscled as she used to be, but that also means less heavy in build. Jinju has reached her original height though, and thus her long legs buy her an advantage.

Jinju never looks back, knowing that doing so might slow her down. One lap down. Two laps down. Three laps down. Four laps down. Only the last remain. Her muscles start protesting, and fatigue starts to kick in. Yet she’s stubborn enough to push herself forward, the fire eternally burning within. There, finally, the finish line is just ahead. Jinju crosses it without looking back once.

OOC: Most recent winner was in 2015 : American Pharoah. Jockey: Victor Espinoza.
    Leilan feels the pressure now - it’s his turn to face the goddess and his teammates have scored highly, so the same is probably expected from him. His gaze shifts from one horse to another, but Nike already calls for attention.

Now he has to race! He has a quick start and gives it his all. He’s in his prime, so he may be fast enough now; but he doesn’t look up until he finishes.

American Pharoah, Victor Espinoza (2015)
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Castile is anxious, his muscles coiling beneath his skin as Nike beckons them forward and informs them of the initial event. Although, not as quick as his lithe sister, Isobell, Castile has power behind him.

When Nike shouts to Go, Castile lurches forward. His wings are clenched tightly to his sides to reduce his drag as much as possible while his strides lengthen. Muscles ripple powerfully and his ears plaster back against his poll with exertion. He sees the others sprinting alongside him, grunting with effort and desperately drinking lungfuls of air.

And then Nike’s voice rings in his head.

Play fair, or don’t.

A chuckle struggles to escape him through his labored breathing. It’s almost like his game of chase with Isobell. As he runs, his tail shifts into that of a dragon’s, balancing behind him evenly until whipping it from one side to the other, willing to either trip anyone, knock them off balance, or force them to take a wide berth. It quickly shifts back once the deed is done.

He considers attempting his first voluntary shift but decides against it as he rounds a turn and reminds himself of the perils the decision would potentially have. With a heavy determination, Castile continues to gallop at full speed until he crosses the checkered finish line.

American Pharoah with jockey, Victor Espinoza in 2015
    He stood in the arena, patiently waiting for the others to finish there tasks. It was finally his turn to participate. The arena was different today, yellow banners hung around an arena, a track stood in front of him.

He was strong, he could move large objects and he could hold his own in a battle but it was no secret that his large frame was not made for running but that does not deter his dedication.  He lined up next to the others waiting until he heard the words "Go". His body moved faster than he thought possible, Him and the others kept running, lap after lap. He could only see directly in front of him, the other equines blurred into just a color.

He was rounding the fifth lap and his legs dug into the ground, he ran as fast as he could. His body was drenched in sweat before he knew it he crossed the line. The race was such a blur he was unsure his placing.

OOC: American Pharaoh who was rode by Victor Espinoza
    answer. American Pharaoh and Victor Espinoza

——

I gather for the challenge and eye my crowd. So a race it is. I take off with the others, at a slight a disadvantage compared to some with my large build. Being quick and agile is not the best i can be. For a moment i consider using my wings, and it is without second thought they hurl me high into the air.  Nike said we may not play fair, i am not meant to be nimble i am meant to soar. Flying as fast as I can I continue lap after lap.

The horses racing with me blur, i cannot bring myself to look down and slow my pace. I must push on as i can with all intentions on finishing. Finally lap five comes and after crossing the line I land on the ground with a loud thump.
    A race? It's so simple. For a moment the dun frowns.

By the time she is lined up with her competition, the frown has turned into a smile. She is loose-limbed and at ease, and when the Goddess finishes her countdown, everything else disappears. This is the same as running on the beach, she thinks as she gallops, but the ground here does not such at her hooves, and the wind does not buffet her sleek figure.

Running is what she was made for.

Starlin has no horn or wings to weigh her down; there is nothing but the wind against her. Well, the wind at the dragon tail of the stallion ahead of her. She could go around him, but that would take more time, instead she barrels forward, timing her strides until she leaps forward, over the dragon tail. Starlin doesn't stumble - she has cleared taller and more treacherous obstacles in her daily runs along Nerine's coast. She does not look back, she only runs and runs and runs, until she is passed the finish line and lets out a joyful buck.

The grulla mare is breathing heavily, but she feels she could run a dozen miles more.

Last Triple Crown Winner was American Pharaoh ridden by Victor Espinoza
    Hephaestus lines up against the rest, his size setting him apart from the rest. Speed wasn't his strongest suit and, in his mind, speed and strength were often times in opposition. 

At the Goddess's 'go, he leapt forward, spurring himself into a year-long gallop. The ground shook with every pounding hoof-fall as his legs ate up the ground below him. His heart pounded within his chest, spurring him forward with every stride. As suspected, he slowly began to fall behind. His mass weighed him down, making each step all that more difficult. Passing the finish line he was not overly pleased by his position. 

Heaving, he slowed his pace and stood off to the side away from the others.

OOC - American Pharaoh. Jockey - Victor Espinoza