• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

No man can truly tame a wolf - Brennen, Dario, Drax
    They spend one passionate night together, one Umqra does not regret, though she has wondered why she’d let herself go like that. She should have known better, and from the moment that her mantis green barrel had started to swell, she had been afraid.

Her own youth is one big mess, one full of black gaps. She’d lost her mother when she was a couple of weeks old, only to stumble upon her father. It had been a miracle, one that probably saved her life. When Lupei found her, she’d already been weakened, and clearly not in control of her shifting. The time spend in wolf form were exactly the black gaps in her memories.

Lupei had learned her how to control it, how to become one with the beast. He practically raised her, but even with one parent’s presence in her life, Umqra fears that her own abilities to raise one of her own are not enough.

She’d loved them with her whole heart from the moment they were born. Never had she thought of herself as a mother, let alone the mother of a pair of twins. And yet, the colts couldn’t have been more perfect in her eyes. Dario, the oldest, and Drax, the green pointed winged one. ”Come boys” she gently calls them, smiling widely at them, though her insides are one big knot of nerves. Umqra does not show it, refuses to, it would be better if the twins didn’t know what was about to happen. And, for as long as she could, she would want to keep them close.

”Dario, Drax, stay close to me” she instructs them, eyeing the sandbank wearily. But it is the only way for her, and her boys, to reach Ischia. The idea of one of them accidentally getting dragged away by the current is a fear that holds her heart in a tight grip. ”We're going to see your father.” Hopefully that would interest them enough to stick close.

Finally they reach Ischia’s beach. By then Umqra is exhausted, not physically because of the trip, but more like emotionally drained. Now the moment is there, the mantis green woman does not think she can actually part from the boys. Yet, deep down, she knows she wouldn’t be a good mom for them. They need a role model, and a parent to actually raise them.[/b]

@[devin] @[Nicole]
    I imagine Umqra staying, though I probably wont post her a lot after this thread. She'll basically be their milk bar and let Brennen raise them Tongue
    The twins followed snugly beside there mother, there legs were still wobbly and it was exhausting to keep up on the exhausting trek. They did not know where they were going, or why but they clung to there mom and listened as she warned them to stay close. She noted they were going to see there father, they did not know what that meant but it sounded exciting! Smiles were on there mouths, they were excited for whatever it was there mother had in store for them. yes momma both of them murmured while breathing hard, hoping to reach there destination soon.

They finally stopped, Dario brushed up against his mother more than happy to have stopped. Drax stepped a few paces away examining the odd scenery that was all new to him. What was this place? And who were they waiting for?

@[Devin]@[~Sapphire~] I don't mind^^ I figured this would be a short post just to drop off Dario and Drax to Brennen<3
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    Despite his current fascination with Galilee and the fifth child she will bear them any day now, Brennen also remembers the green mare in the depths of the forest, and their long night. He remembers telling her where to find him, should she need to, and he wonders if she had conceived a child or if she would bring it to meet him or raise it herself - over the years he's never gotten any better at guessing which mares will keep their offspring to themselves, which will share, and which will drop them off with Brennen and disappear. He knows he has not met all of his children, and ponders their fates many long nights, but he always gives the dam the option, and chooses to treasure those he does know.

Today he is walking along the beach, a change to his usual patrol method of flying, and he stops near the treelike to glance at the crossing-place at low tide; he is surprised to see not a single equine crossing there but a trio, and his heart leaps at the familiar form of the green mare, and elated at the presence of not one but two children at her side - and surely she would not be bringing them to Ischia if they were not his. Immediately he jumps up into an animated trot, calling out to them in a friendly voice as he approaches, eyeing the two colts (two colts!) in wonderment as if they are his first children. "Umqra," he greets the mare warmly, but make no attempt to touch her; they are not that close, having met only the once. "And who are these two fine young gentlemen?" He turns honey-brown eyes to the boys again, taking it all in; one is bay like Brennen, the other bay but with green instead of black, and he alone of the three has fluffy little wings pinioned to his sides, and the warrior stallion is thrilled with both of them. One to look like him, and one to share his joy of flight; and two colts to raise on his paradise-island alongside Galilee's filly.

But spring fades into summer in the blink of an eye on the tropical islands, and he notices she already looks exhausted, without the addition of humidity and sun beating down and reflecting from the white sands. "Come, let us go into the shade of the trees and I will show you where to find fresh water," he says in obvious concern for the mother of his sons, but also for the well-being of the boys themselves. Already the water is rising behind them, true low tide lasting only a few minutes, so they have to stay the night no matter what, and he is hoping they plan to stay quite a bit longer than that.
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN
    ”Yes momma.” The in unison muttered words – coming from exhausted lips – spark something within her. A warmth blossoms, warming her heart with what is the love of a mother for her children.

Children she never was supposed to have. The reality is as a slap in her face, and the pain soon expels the previous warmth. Umqra loves them, whole heartedly, more than she should, but exactly because of that she knows she needs to entrust them into their father’s care, too.

And that was already a change of her original plans. Panic and desperation had made her decide to just drop them off, and then make sure to run away as fast and far as possible. But now she’s standing on Ischia’s beach, with her two boys at her side, watching her bay one time lover approach, she loses all the determination she had. Deep down Umqra knows she cannot leave them.

”Hello Brennen.” These smile upon her lips is a genuine, but very tired one. The boys might have not noticed her panic, and fear, but she is sure that the winged male will see through it. Umqra does not fight it, just a little, to make sure that the twin colts don’t notice. ”Dario, Drax,” she gently calls upon them, bending her neck and dipping her head to ruffle Dario’s poll and Drax’ crest. ”come and meet your father.” The green woman cannot help it but to smile proudly, just another emotion thrown into the mix.

Thankfully Brennen allows her a breather. Her lips curl up into a thankful smile and she nods. ”Thank you, we could use some rest.” Not only Umqra is exhausted, their two boys are too, perhaps she’d been a little too eager to find Brennen. Just another clue she wouldn’t be a good mother to them, that they need their father.

She allows him to lead the way, calling the boys to her side to make them follow. They need to rest, but not in the warm threat that is the sun. Umqra trusts Brennen to take them somewhere safe – again; she definitely is not fit to be a mother. As they walk she steps closer to him, not invading his direct space, but close enough for him to hear her soft spoken words – words that were not meant to reach the boys’ ears. ”I’m scared..” she murmurs, not daring to look at him. She hates it, she is a wolf, and a wolf is not scared. She cannot be scared, but she is. And, for the sake of her boys, she needs help.
    Once they came to a stop the two colts were able to catch there breaths, it was not long before another appeared. It was a large bay stallion, there mothers attention was on him and Drax quickly nipped at Darios neck before moving to the opposite side of his mother. Dario kicks out his rear leg in retaliation but his coordination is still off and he missed. He glances a glare at Drax before tucking in closer to his mother as well.

The large stallion looks identical to Dario, and sports wings just like Drax. He asks mother who they are, and then insists they move into the shade the trees provide. Mother calls the stranger Brennen, and than introduces both Dario and Drax. Each look up to the stag with a smile when there names are spoken. And in that moment Mother introduces him as Father. Both colts quickly move from there mothers side, they aren't sure exactly what it means but they instantly trust him. Dario brushes against his leg Daddy? He questions. Drax watches his brother and than moves closer to the stallion himself, they share the same pelt color but he also has his mothers green. He says nothing but reaches his head up in attempt to find his fathers muzzle.

@[Umqra]@[Brennen]
    She introduces them, and Brennen only has half an ear for her, instead reaching out for the boys as they come forward at the word ‘father’, bold and curious. The bay is first, the one she names Dario, and Brennen lowers his muzzle to breath in the boy’s scent as the colt presses himself against Brennen’s legs, “Hello, Dario,” he responds to the quiet inquiry, and looks up to see the other twin, the green-and-wings-one, standing a little off but reaching for him as well. “And Drax,” he offers his nose to the boy in return, a gentle touch and then he ruffles the colt’s fluffy mane with a smile. “I am your daddy, and I’m so glad you are here,”

He guides them across the sand to a place where a wide, obvious path leads away from the shore into the jungle, moving at whatever pace the tired family dictates. He steps back alongside Umqra, letting the boys frolic ahead with a quiet warning not to get too far from the path, and flicks an ear to catch her quiet words, which draw a quick glance from Brennen thought he keeps a careful eye on the colts all the while. “You don’t have to be scared.” he murmurs a response just as quietly, “Ischia is one of the safest places I’ve ever known – and now there are two of us to keep up with them,” The first statement is firm and solid, because his islands are safer than most places he’s been. The second half is almost a question, a cautious frown forming on his face as he watches her out of the corner of his eye; she has not said who is staying, after all: all of them, none of them, just the boys?

Almost as soon as they enter the cover of the trees, there is a building noise of wings and strange calls, and the parrots begin to gather, looking down at the quartet of horses. The stallion smiles up at his feathered friends, almost grinning when a favorite green bird drops quickly to perch with its talons tangled in his mane. “There are the only residents of Ischia besides us horses,” he tells his little audience. “They’re very smart, and curious.” A couple of bigger birds come lower in the branches and one hisses, head tilted, and Brennen gives a little flick of the tips of his own wings and calls sternly into the trees: “Friends,” and with that the bigger birds make some hesitant clucking sounds and retreat back into the canopy, making room for lots of the chirpier little birds to come down and investigate.

“There should be a pond not too far if we go left at this next fork,”
    BRENNEN
    She does not scold them. She knows she is supposed to, but she simply does not have the heart to do it. How could she be mad with the two adorable colts? Instead Umqra pulls both the colts – one by one – at her side, kissing their poll’s, before almost sheepishly looking at Brennen. She could’ve just as well have shrugged her shoulders at the whole ordeal.

Brennen does not seen to overly mind, as he welcomes both Dario and Drax at his side. Umqra smiles at the twins encouraging, nodding her head might they look back at her for confirmation. She watches them interact with their father with a smile. Weight falls of her shoulder. She does not have to do this alone. He actually wants them, and the confirmation of what she had believed is a huge relief.

The green woman smiles at his attempt to sooth her. It is a small and tight one, but genuine nevertheless. She glances at him, only for a short moment, before her eyes follow the twins ahead. ”I don’t doubt you, or Ischia” she clarifies, it is the only reason why brought them to Ischia in the first place. It is herself who Umqra doubts. Her ability to care for and raise a child, let alone a set of twins. ”I’ll only cause them harm..”

I’m not a good mother. She barely remembers her own dam. Her sire is a different story, but their time together was mainly focussed on learning how to control her wolf. And how to be a wolf. Parenting wasn’t really part of the game.

Once the canopy blocks them from the unrelenting sun, they are greeted by birds like she had never seen before. The predator within her growls at them, but Umqra only smiles amazed at the sight. ”There no other animals?” she asks. It meant no predators to harm her boys, but neither would there be prey for her. She does not inquire further, just watches Brennen – and the twins – interact with the parrots. Just for a moment, she allows them to look like a family. A family she knows they would never be. Umqra runs with wolves, and no equine in her presence now is like her. Things would’ve been much easier if they were.

They go left at the fork, and just like Brennen said, a pond soon comes into view. Her green ears flick forward, and she quickly forgets about anything else but her thirst. They left the salty water of the sea, and exchanged it for its sweet sibling. Her green lips touch the water’s surface and she drinks greedily, only stopping when she catches movement out of the corner of her eye.

The wolf snarls on instinct, but when she swirls herself around she finds herself looking at the twins. First shock, then love, followed by a pained expression. A sharp breath and a step back. She allows some distance between them and her, then Umqra’s pained gaze searches Brennen’s.

”Will you take care of them?”

I need your help.
    The colts gaze at the stallion as he speaks, he lowers his maw to Dario and it made the bay colt laugh. He playfully jumped off to the side a few steps before stepping closer in awe. He extended a greeting to Drax as well, who eventually caved in and cracked a smile. The stallion introduces himself as there father and both are happy with the outcome.

Mother and Father talked amongst each other, they faintly listened and moved off to play amongst each other. Perhaps the only perk to being a twin was always having a playmate. The tugged at each others manes, rearing and playfully striking about. Drax spread his wings, although the span was short he flutter them in an attempt to make himself look larger. His body grew warm, and his neck almost hot to the touch, he coughed in hope to release the pressure but to his own surprise he shot a flame of fire towards his brother Dario. It misses and hits the ground instead, both twins eyes grow wide in amazement Did you see that!? they laughed amongst each other and quickly gazed back to there parents curious if they caught it.

@[Umqra]@[Brennen] Im not trying to drag this post out, I know you are only keeping Umqra out for this thread. Buttttttt introducing fire :p
    They have dropped behind the boys to speak, and the speaking is quiet, not meant for little ears. His reassurances fall short, and her words bring his honey-brown haze back to Umqra’s face, and he considers her and her words. He doesn’t believe her, but he knows better than to dismiss other’s fears out of hand. “Most children would prefer a less-than-ideal mother, to none at all,” he murmurs the words, thinking of his own childhood. The Brotherhood had left him little chance to mourn his own mother, or lack thereof, but on the rare occasion the hurt had been no less sharp. It allows him to empathize with his children who are raised by him alone, even though they don’t always think he does.

In the area of the animals, well, that is an easy topic. “Nothing regularly. Occasionally, something crosses over during low tide just as we do, but it’s rare. Deer, sometimes, or other large animals that are brave enough to cross. Almost nothing smaller than the occasional fox. Other birds quite frequently but they rarely stay. I get the feeling our parrot friends are territorial.” If he knew what she was thinking, he might offer reassurances. Few in Ischia are as they seem; almost all of them have unseen powers, though few are shifters.

They reach the pond and he is glad to see her take refreshment, and the boys begin to play – as children will. But their sudden movement makes the mare whirl around, startled, and he glances between the boys and their dam and wonders what it is that makes some mares – like his Galilee – so very maternal, while others like Umqra seem to wish to avoid it at all costs. “Of course I will care for them, and protect them. But I’m sure they would like to see their mother once in a while as well.” He doesn’t have time to turn and look at her, catalog her response, because he is watching the boys and is startled himself at the fire that comes from Dario towards his brother.

“Very nice, Dario!” he calls and laughs out loud with them, surprised but pleasantly. His children have such a marvelous range of talents. “But be careful of your brother, and others. You don’t want to hurt anybody.”
    BRENNEN