• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

made and remade continually; anyone
    Not-so-deeply hidden in the child's eyes, thousands of thoughts race and cajole for right to manifest into words or actions, and I admire this unabashed liveliness with a knowing little smile. Before me stands so much potential, unrealized, and yet somehow whole despite not having reached completion; children are funny in that way. You can see that they have the vitality to make one of a million possible choices; and once they do, their character becomes firmer; but that life, that spark, it dims with each step further into adulthood. A trade off; one that almost all creatures come to see pass, no matter how bubbly or optimistic.

But for now, I needn't worry about little Glim. I haven't the power to maintain her libido whilst also developing her, shaping her; I can only hope to be a facet of both as they occur naturally, a guide perhaps as the life she will have begins to unfold here, now, today. Indeed, by how she listens and speaks to me, the unfolding has already begun; I can't help but be enraptured by the spotted buckskin, genuinely invested in the conversation at hand.

I don't press when she offers a hesitant yes, knowing well enough that deciphering exactly where one is from can be challenging, especially for a child. I inhale slightly, and attempt to catch the scent of other creatures upon her - but her mother and father must be royally absent, for Glim smells only of the forest and the creek, of the natural world and yes, perhaps of shadow, too. But of a family I smell nothing; and though my daughter's heart aches and mourns, I can't help but privately enjoy where the wanderings of this next-to-abandoned girl has brought her.

"Of course," comes my lyrical voice in response to her thank you, a reassuring smile on my lips. She ought to know that I meant what I said, about her being clever; and the more I watch and listen to her, the more astute I believe my analysis of her to be. Clever, but more than that: worthwhile. With a sincerity that's not pressed as most are, and a down-to-earth kind of way that leaves her hoof disturbing the dirt of that very land.

She mentions meeting my brother, and I smile again, lips peeling back to fully reveal the blackened fangs. "I'd love to introduce you two; he's a year your senior I believe. His name is Khaedrik, should you ever run across him organically; he looks like me, except palomino." My mind's eye roams to that creature, wondering at just where he truly is at the moment. I know that he's joined Hyaline's guard, but of his actual presence I've felt very little - then again, he and I aren't exactly on great terms right now. He might even think me dead all things considered; but no, my scent is everywhere in our kingdom, so he must know. He's just... Ignoring me.

So be it.

As her curious eyes flash back up to me, I pull myself from the revere to catch her short but poignant question. Hmm... How so? I chew on the question for a few moments before replying. "Well, I am able to manipulate dreams the way that you manipulate darkness." My eyes drop down to Dim, exchanging a significant look with him before looking back to his creator. "That is why I have the fangs today, as I dreamt them, and they followed me into the real world for a few hours. But..."

And here I pause, not knowing whether to inflict such dark knowledge upon a life as new and fresh as Glim's; but I've went this whole interaction treating her as an equal, and my stomach balks at the thought of changing the dynamic now. Besides, it's not like her parents care whether or not she leads a protected life anyways. "But, as you might know, dreams often turn into nightmares. And I have power over those, too." I leave it at that, not caring to bring up the memory of birthing a literal demon into the hands of Nerine's queen, nor of the story of my own son who has a mother as absent as Glim's... I bite off the thought, refusing to allow the guilt of that thought to sour my expression.

"But, if you want to meet my brother, I'd think we'd better start moving soon." My eyes go to the setting sun, and I estimate that we'd have just enough time to get to Hyaline before dark; about three hours or so. "There's plenty of other people there too, and I think you'd take a liking to them. But by all means, it's up to you."

@[glim]
    ((I never write this much, you give me hella muse))
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    made and remade continually; anyone - by glim - 04-03-2018, 09:45 PM
    RE: made and remade continually; anyone - by glim - 04-04-2018, 05:08 PM
    RE: made and remade continually; anyone - by glim - 04-10-2018, 03:56 PM
    RE: made and remade continually; anyone - by Kagerus - 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM
    RE: made and remade continually; anyone - by glim - 04-16-2018, 09:34 PM