• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; ALL
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    The time feels right.
    Summer morning has broken over Ischia but a stiff ocean breeze makes it only a balmy heat, not overpowering as it might become later in the afternoon. Brennen knows the only place with enough space to gather everyone will be on the beach; plus, it will make it easier for any later stragglers to arrive from the mainland – so it is to the shore he goes. Late morning light has dried up the last of the glowing phytoplankton that paint the sands at night, but this late in the summer even a night of no sun can’t cool the surface, so the sand is warm where it edges over his hooves and touches his skin.

He finds an open area, a broad expanse, and settles himself before calling out; Ischia is simply not that large, and he knows they will hear it. His brothers will come, because they feel the same strum of excitement under their skin that has been driving him; and the others will come for curiosity, if nothing else. His voice has barely stopped echoing over the water when he begins to see movement, and his heart soars at the arrival of his family and his brothers. He waits, patiently, for the gathering to grow, greeting some individuals as they arrive and simply nodding across the group to others.

When everyone seems to have come and settled, that is when he begins. “Friends,” he greets some, “family, and strangers,” he throws the last bit in just in case, but there are very few in Ischia who are strangers to Brennen. He hasn’t personally introduced himself to Krone’s children, and there is a man and a child who had arrived recently, but other than that they are all known to him. “Time has come for a change. Ischia has fallen too quiet, too insignificant, and it is our duty to her to make her great once again.” Brennen scans the group and  finds Krone, wherever she is, and locks his solemn gaze on her.

“Krone, you once said you believed ‘Ischia’ had chosen you as our leader, even though the Kingdoms have not interfered in the life of their people since the change of the lands. I had my doubts then, but we decided as a group to give you a chance.” He isn’t harsh; he doesn’t even raise his voice, but his words are all the more powerful for it. They are true, even without added anger. The only emotion in Brennen’s rebuke is regret – because he truly doesn’t want to hurt her, but that’s just the way it has to be. “You have failed Ischia. It was basically a dead Kingdom with you, me, Klaudius, Kylin, and some children. Nobody wanted to stay here, even when we enticed them to visit, because there is nothing here to stay for. In the past few months it has grown to life again, and that life is due almost entirely to the arrival of my Brothers.”

Now he looks around the group with great affection, meeting the various gazes of his new recruited Brothers and former Brothers. The men who believe alongside him that Ischia can be great again, molded by their ideas and hard work. “Thus, we are gathered today to invoke our right by Beqanna law to vote for a new leader. After much soul-searching and hard work, I am putting myself forward to lead Ischia, and our new Brotherhood, into a new era. Already we have a promised Alliance with Nerine, and together we will make our Kingdoms great.” He touches the shoulders of whichever of them are closest to him, and his voice rings with promise and loyalty to them. They are his true people, and this will be their home.

Another glance at Krone. “I do not wish to bring violence here. It will be easiest if you step down and allow the new residents of Ischia to choose their new leader in peace and bring this Kingdom into prosperity. But I will not allow it to fall to decay and disuse any longer. If you will not accept this change, I will challenge you for the crown.” He doesn’t look at Klaudius, her champion, but he does allow a creeping bit of ice to form at his hooves, crackling on the hot sand, to remind her that while she may have chosen the purple sire of her children as Champion, Brennen is their General and for good reason.
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

OOC Notes
    -Brennen has permission from Cassi for him to mutiny along with those he's recruited
    -They will be voting, as per the mutiny rules. Brennen has nominated himself. Each character gets a vote.
    -If vote ends in a tie/no clear winner Brennen will be challenging Krone for the throne
    -I know not everyone has gotten up on the board yet but it's pretty clear from their IC posts here and around BQ who all of Brennen's recruits/new faces are for purposes of legitimate voting

Betrayal runs deep within the veins of Beqanna lately.  Those promising their loyalties to only revoke them at a moment's notice began to run ramped like a disease.  

Thick on the breeze, a call rings forth.  A gathering is summoned and so he follows it's direction.  His lavender wings fill with the great updrafts of the islands coves.  Sea salt spray clings to his pelt as he skims the oceans turbulent waves.  Another beat of his wings and a slight shift of weight and he bends down the shoreline.  Silver-hazel eyes find the reason for the meeting.  A familiar bay form is centered as he lowers to land upon the earth once again.  Limbs find their footing and he trots forward to meet the stallion face to face. 

Others begin gathering, most he knows, others creep from the shadows as if planted there.  It was quite entertaining actually.  A smirk crosses his lips as Brennen begins his plight.  A brow rises in surprise as he refers to the isle as decaying from unuse.  Allowing him to finish before speaking.  

His ears are curious to hear of a "brotherhood".  So that is where he begins, "And what exactly is this brotherhood you speak of?  Are you proposing Ischia becomes a bachelor kingdom...?" His brow cocks in interest as he speaks for his family.  Even for Krone.  He does not waver from his position before the stallion.  Even when clearly he threatens him...

Klaudius
    I was lightning, before the thunder

Taking a diplomatic approach here XD
    She didn’t want to rule anymore.

If she was being honest with herself, it was all becoming a little too much for her. She wanted to settle down, find something about herself that wasn’t all about leadership. All she really wants anymore is Durotan.

So when Brennen calls out, she doesn’t waver. She simply listens to his plight, about how she failed them. She looks to her kingdom and lets out an audible sigh. Her mind wanders to that first day, when it was only Kylin here, when Circinae had come to take the island and Krone was close behind. She lets out a deep breath, getting in front of the crowd that had grown here.

”Ischia,” She states, her voice bold as she talks over the parrots. ”For the last few years, I have served you loyally and to the best of my abilities. Thank you all so much for accepting me as your queen, I cannot begin to express my gratitude for each and every one of you.” Her eyes trail over the crowd, analyzing them carefully before turning her head to her side, looking to Brennen.

“But Brennen is right. I have failed you, miserably. Like my father did,” The words she says cut her deep. It’s all true. “I had promised you I’d bring us greatness, but instead I did you all a grave disservice. And for that I am sorry.”

She looks back and forth between the crowd and Brennen. “I wish to give up my throne. But on my OWN accord. Let them vote. If Brennen wins I will take my leave, but if the votes are in my favor, I wish to pass on my leadership to my daughter, Karat. She’s everything I am not. She deserves it.” A passing glare to the betrayer of her trust. “And I will fight to ensure she gets it.”

OOC:

Krone is okay with a vote.
    If Brennen wins the vote she will step down. If she wins, she has decided to let Karat take her place as Keeper.
    If there is a tie/no clear winner, Krone will fight for the kingdom.

Trekori

i'm freezing, it's not winter yet
    but my fingers and toes
    are shivering beneath these sheets
    and i feel so alone
    i don't want to die, i want to sleep

It's been months since I came to Ischia with the promise of a brotherhood, and it's been months since I began recruiting. By all means, I am the reason that Andulvar is here, having scooped him from the meadow as he wandered like a lost puppy; I persuaded my brother Takei to join the silent effort; and from the field I have brought the son of a Tundran legend, Tyrinn. That's three men to the force that will become the bachelor kingdom of Ischia because of me, because of my efforts; and I, only slightly older than a yearling.

What has Karat done for Ischia?

I come when he calls, or rather, I feel the energy in the air and keep close to where I know him to stay, emerging fully as soon as it is appropriate to. I come to his right when his deep voice rings out over the gathered group of people; presumptuous, perhaps, but despite my small size and young age, I feel that I have earned it. I have earned some sort of recognition as one of the up and coming brothers of Ischia.

I nod at appropriate intervals to what Brennen is saying, purple eyes drifting across the crowd to find Krone's gradient-green face and imagining just what her reaction will be. When my soon-to-be king turns to press his muzzle to my shoulder, with a promise of greatness fresh from his lips, I return the gesture stolidly. We will be great again. We will be the change that breathes air back into this island kingdom.

The pegasus ends with a high note, reaffirming his intention to become king with the threat of a challenge. Keeping quiet for now, I listen to what others have to say. A purple stallion, Klaudius, questions the implications of a brotherhood, and a smirk flashes across my lips, but I quickly repress it. What could he think it means? An urge to answer him comes to me, but I wait a moment longer, and am rewarded by the current Queen's spiel.

She admits to her failures, but somehow manages to try and give the throne to a girl who has done nothing for this kingdom. In comparison, I would be a better leader compared to Karat. And although we have met and gotten to know each other, with me concluding that she is not unpleasant company, there can simply be no question that someone as young minded as Karat ought never to rule. I cannot say young, for I am her age; but I digress. I do not want to be king, even remotely; for as unworthy Karat is in comparison to me, is as unworthy I am in comparison to Brennen.

I step forward, the light at the end of my gnarled horn pulsing with energy. "I vote for Brennen as the King of the bachelor kingdom Ischia." My other thoughts I keep quiet, stepping back again to stand beside the king-hopeful. Time would tell - but if the buzz of activity generated by rumors of our mutiny has anything to say, there is only one way this vote can go.

GALILEE

It took every ounce of self restraint she had to wait for his call from within her private cove; for although he gathered them as the morning sun rose, he'd been with her as dawn broke the darkness of night, telling her that today is the day, Galilee. They'd spent the time speaking softly and reassuringly to one another, turning over some ideas as to what would happen today; but ultimately, no amount of speculation could give them the sense of security that would come with having won the vote.

At last, as she paced around her lagoon, she heard her lover's voice rise through the crisp summer air. Whinnying low to herself, she woke Khaeli from her slumber and hurried to the spot. She arrived to the scene first, but did not position herself next to Brennen. Instead, she drew up alongside him and pressed her pink nose to the soft underside of his throat. "Not long now, love," she murmured with a humorous smile, remembering all the little ideas they'd shared that morning. Khaeli bumbled between her father's legs and looked up at him from between them with a big, goofy grin. "Will I have to call you King when you win the vote, papa?" But Galilee hushed the filly and ushered her away, moving to settle at one of the farthest corners of the clearing to await the arrival of others.

Klaudius came first, with a question that she smiled quietly at. Whether she could be a part of the ranks was of no concern to her; she wanted a kingdom that would keep her safe. She knew that her daughter Mosrael felt differently, and perhaps little Khaeli would feel differently when she came of age, too; but despite all their whispering, Galilee truly didn't know whether or not mares would be welcome in the brotherhood.

Krone offered up her piece. The two women had never met, but Galilee couldn't help but feel as though it hadn't been her responsibility to meet the leader of a kingdom; rather, the other way around. Reaching down to press her muzzle to Khaeli's frazzled baby mane as she nearly vibrated with excitement, Galilee caught the first vote: a colt she'd seen around, Trekori, proclaiming his support of Brennen. Well, if things were getting started already...

"I, too, vote for Brennen. Whether or not I can hold a position in the new kingdom is of no concern to me. I have a right to see the leadership I desire as a resident of Ischia, regardless of my sex." Her statement came quietly, but firmly. I will not have my vote revoked on account of my womanhood. Nostrils flaring, the only sign of the nerves she so greatly felt, the mare allowed herself to fade into the background once more, now understanding why her daughter felt the need to tremble.

@[Brennen]

WATCH THE FLAMES CLIMB HIGH INTO THE NIGHT

They'd made the journey without incident, travelling along the coast with the stars to guide them. The quiet lapping of the ocean kept them company when conversation fell short, as was prone to happen to women as characteristically stoic as Hestia and Scorch. Well, Hestia for sure; but whenever Scorch raised her voice to discuss the possibilities that would arise come morning, Hestia always answered, and whenever it became clear that silence was preferred, Scorch thought to herself in silence; and sometimes, to those Beyond.

Exciting, hey, Errant? She said to her dead brother.
    As it always is when you're around, Scorch. Good luck. His voice vibrated through her skull, and she smiled at its sound; she missed the magician, but for now, he had his place there, and she had her responsibilities here.
    Thanks. Feel free to listen in while it's going down.
    Will do.

When the pair arrived, a few others had gathered, namely Krone herself (whom they recognize based off of Brennen's description of her) and a mare with her filly in tow. Scorch settled herself a little ways off from the bulk of the gathering, or else followed Hestia to wherever she chose to position herself; and from there, she squared her shoulders and lowered her head. A stance of power, of pride; she represented her kingdom today, and more than that: she represented the spirit of the Amazons, past, present, and future.

As silence befell the group, with two having already voted in favour of Brennen, Scorch couldn't help but to succumb to the scathing remarks that had been building on the tip of her tongue ever since that purple stallion began to speak. "Queen Hestia and myself, Scorch, of Nerine, are here in support of Brennen. We look forward to securing our alliance, your majesty." Her expression remained neutral as her head dipped in respect to Brennen, but internally, she cackled; ah, perhaps her dramatic flared hadn't faded entirely...

Or at all.

"Krone," she called in a hard voice, turning to address the failed queen. "You are a fool if you think it wise to place a yearling on the throne of kingdom with as much potential as Ischia. You saw what happened to Loess." Lepis, the girl-queen, had rendered that kingdom into a pathetic silence. Scorch's eyes burrowed into Krone, and despite the rage she felt inside at the woman's suggestion, she tempered it and did not allow it to raise her voice past a reasonable level. "Do the right thing. At least you'll be able to say that not all of your actions as Queen of Ischia were failures."

She fell into silence; perhaps her Queen had more to say.

Scorch

Once Khaleesi of the Amazon Jungle

[Image: scorch2.png]
    There was a commotion, the spotted stallion could hear others arguing. He grows nearer, to see the largest gathering of equines since he has been in Ischia. The spotted stallion quickly finds Krone, and a smile tugs at his lips, but what he hears quickly makes his smile fade. I wish to give up my thrown WHAT! Why would she do such a thing!? His gaze follows Krones to a winged bay stallion he has never met. He did not hear him speak, but he imagines this equine is challenging her for her thrown.

His gaze flicks back and forth to the equines who quickly list the bay stallion, Brennen as there choice of ruler. Only the purple stallion questions the motives of Brennen. His ears are pinned as he quickly moves in with the other horses Who are you to nominate yourself ruler? he spat with anger. Sure he has not been apart of Ischia for long, but if this horse wanted to be ruler wouldnt he have taken the steps to know those in the kingdom? He was to busy attempting to overthrow Krone, he was blind to the newest additions. I will not follow under you, my vote is for Krone. He moves his way closer to Krone. A loyal member would care for there kingdom, speak to the ruler and tell them how they feel. They would not attempt to dethrown them because they do not agree with them.

OOC: Just getting something up :p
    Leilan has been wandering Beqanna for a bit but doesn’t have found any place to settle; unless there will be, in fact, a brotherhood like Brennen promised. So he finds himself lingering in Ischia, and when the call finally comes he is quick to make his way there. He does not speak at the moment, his usually quirky self content to await what’s coming.

The first questsion is barely a question; a lavender stallion asks what the purpose would be; if this is to be a bachelor kingdom. Well, yes that is the point and Leilan thinks to himself that if the man wants to, he can stay.
    What surprised him a little is Krone herself. Though the silver-and gold roan has never met her, he knows her by description. She admits failing the Kingdom, and thinks that Karat will do better - everything she is not? Would that be a raging bully? But most of all - Karat is her daughter, and the girl is just that - a girl. Leilan would think himself better off in Nerine if this happens.

Speaking of which, a Nerinian makes her way to the beach as well, and his mother is quick to vote for Brennen. The roaning male flicks his tail, eyes and ears moving in her direction - he’s happy that Nerine is represented and quick to propose an alliance, but her vote means nothing. It should not even be there; it’s the Ischians versus the Brothers here.

He smiles at Trekori being here, it will be good for the lad growing up with some brothers. Leilan is certain he will benefit most from this. He is a little less certain about the stocky stallion that bluntly asksif Brennen should even be allowed to nominate himself; Leilan has to admit the man has a point, but also thinks that he speaks with not just his brain (the one in his head, that is).

Only then does he come forward. ”I vote for a bachelor kingdom. I do not care who leads it. Bachelors are by nature not meant to be led strictly anyway,” is his opinion. His gaze lingers on Durotan for a moment, then he turns to Brennen whom he is by chance standing more closely to. ”It would be nice to letthe girls who already live here, stay. Just as citizens perhaps, if they want.” he murmurs.
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Takei
    Since finding himself on the shore of the island-kingdom, Takei has spent his days exploring the various islets that he now calls home. While he knows Hyaline’s territory from the feel of it under his feet, he knows Ischia now by sight and touch (something he is startlingly more aware of after his temporary blindness). But now, the time has come. When Brennen’s call rides on the winds, the Brothers crawl from the corners of Ischia like worker ants. They are more purposeful than that analogy; they are all an important piece of this movement, working together to bring about something new and exciting and different.

He arrives and takes his place among the gathered easily. The blood-and-bone makes his way toward Trekori and Brennen briefly. He affectionately shoulders his winged brother and then equally as affectionately touches noses with his bay Brother. Although Takei has known Brenne for a minor amount of time, this greater purpose binds them closer together than any other stranger. The oryx-horned stallion eventually finds a place close to Brennen’s side, but not so close that he appears to be an equal. The bay is the orchestrator, the conductor, the proposed leader, and Takei will not be one to get in the way.

Hazel eyes spot the tanned Nerine mare easily. Grandmother. Takei has never met Scorch before; the ties between Noori and her mother had been loosened long before his arrival. His eyes linger on her burnt face for a moment longer before he forces his mind to turn back toward the more immediate situation.

When Takei had first arrived on the shores of Ischia, he hadn’t known what he was going to do with his life. So far his time has been spent in boredom and misery. Thankfully, Brennen and Trekori offered him a place among them and he had gladly accepted. The knowledge of his purpose and place among them blossoms into pride and determination, which reflects in the swirl of his stern gaze. He is no diplomat; he does not have a blissful way with words like some might. But he provides muscle and bulk to their numbers, with red-and-white cords of sinewy strength and high, sharp dark horns protruding from the tangled mess of mane atop his head.

When there is a lull in their voting, his own low voice pushes through the rhythm of natural sound (their anxious breathing, the hum of parrots, the rush of the tides, the whisper of the breeze). “I vote Brennen as the new King of Ischia.” He’s never been a man of many words.
    watch the mind run far away, way ahead of us

Takei votes for Brennen.
    They come in numbers, his flock. Each one stating their vote, and each vote for Brennen. This does not surprise her, this does not anger her. She ignores the charred and bare mare’s comments.

It was final, and it was done.

She looks to Durotan, tears filling her eyes. She had failed him, she had failed Maiven. She had promised them a home and she didn’t provide for it. She couldn’t look at him any longer, she couldn’t bare the pain - her father had failed this island, and now her. Except there was one difference.

She actually felt bad.

She goes up to Brennen, a deep hatred in her eyes. “She’s yours, as the votes clearly. I certainly hope you’re happy with your brotherhood.” She looks over the crowd, to the woods, towards the parrots. They have grown oddly quiet, as if they, too were listening. She grows close to Brennen’s ear, one final word of sincerity escaping her lips. “Keep her safe, general.”

She turns to her children, smiling at them the best she could. She gestures for them to follow, and leaves her beautiful island home.

For good.

OOC: Votes run in favor of Brennen, Krone gives up her throne!