• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I sold my soul for this ~Brennen~

The mutiny had gone smoothly, Krone had cried, much to Hestia’s surprise and disgust. Was anyone fit to be a ruler if they cried in front of their people? Her lips press tightly together a knot forming in the pit of her stomach. It’s been chaos and she’s thrives in it. The heart of the storm she stands with dangerous individuals, jackals if you may, who’d as soon eat her as they would follow her. They stand on her heels ready to rip her open the moment she falters. She senses it, maybe it’s just paranoia on her part. No leader can afford to be otherwise in their mental state. It keeps her alive, keeps her walking forward refusing to fall into a pit with no way out.

Everything she’s learned in her life, everything she’s experienced. It gives her an ability to walk this delicate tightrope of power with grace and dignity… so far, that of course can change at any moment. It may have already changed in the last meeting. It all depends on if she can prove herself and if her people can be patient long enough to see her prove herself. Oblivion stands next to her, following her wherever she goes. She’s not had a moment to think on it since the day she’d washed the filth of that event from her skin. Hestia hasn’t processed it, and is a little afraid to begin doing so now. What if it overhears her thoughts? Hestia, you should know better than that. I’m always listening. Was it smiling? She can’t tell, the words in her mind hold no emotion, it’s face is incapable of expressing anything it may feel. Even as it is physically present in this world it still manages to remain separate from all it wanted to experience. and who’s fault is that? The black mare could picture the anger, even as Oblivion can not express it. Other than the lash of it’s forked tail that stings her flank.

This is some fucked up shit, her ears pin back to her skull, even if it can’t see to know she is doing so. She walks forward attempting to create space between her and the thing that raped her. I didn’t know, it whines… without the whine. She shakes out her mane with her eyes closed before blinking them open once more. To much for her head to even consider, her brain feels as though it might explode with even the possibility of Oblivion’s existence. Whatever, she begins walking towards the border, more business awaits her, more things to keep her mind distracted from the fucked up fate of her life.

HESTIA

The devil whispered in my ear, you’ll never survive the storm
    I whispered back, I am the storm

@[Brennen]
    [Image: 345k45w.jpg]
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    As soon as he is certain his rocky hold on Ischia will not fail if he is gone briefly, Brennen tells only a few of his new Brothers where he is headed, to briefly pause and invite a few of the most promising of the youngsters he’s surrounded himself with, and then he takes to the sky. It’s too soon to be gone for more than the minimum time – a quick flight across the bay will take them to Nerine, and it will be just as easy to reach home again as soon as they have concluded their meeting; later, when things are less tumultuous, he will have time for leisurely visits to old friends here.

When Nerine unfolds beneath him, Brennen folds his wings and drops as gracefully as a thousand-pound winged creature can into the sand, decades of practice allowing him to basically land in complete stillness and control, backlegs followed quickly by forelegs and then overlarge black wings lowered towards the ground, just high enough not to drag the ebony tips in the sand. He doesn’t wait to see if either Kori or Bel had followed, trusting instead in them to keep up and follow his lead if they chose to come along. A quick scan of the landscape before him reveals Hestia already headed towards her own borders, towards the Ischians, and he calls a greeting before walking forward to meet her.

“Hestia,” his gaze flicks warily to the creature behind her, uneasy at its bizarre appearance, but he says nothing; it doesn’t appear to be threatening the black Queen (at least overtly – it’s pretty threatening just in its existence) so other than staying ready to move at any moment to attack or defend, Brennen decides to ignore it for now. And even then – Brennen is always battle-ready, so to the untrained eye he will probably look as relaxed as anyone who has just mutinied and claimed a Kingdom for themselves can appear. “I hope you don’t mind, I’ve brought along some promising young diplomats. Nothing teaches like experience.” Now he glances to see if either or both have come; his own fire-and-white son, or the gold-and-white boy who has already thrown himself headlong into the life and work of Ischia and their future. To them he offers a quick little smile of approval before turning back to the Nerinian Queen.

“I wanted to get back here and iron out the details of our alliance as soon as possible. I don’t like leaving anything up to chance with the way things are right now.” He folds and settles his wings against his sides, easing into a physically relaxed stance. No reason to be uncomfortable while they’re talking. “I am fully prepared to enter into a full alliance just like the ones of old – full military support, defense of each other, training together, perhaps stationing a representative in each other’s Kingdoms full-time.” He rarely does things by half-measure, and this will be no different. The bay warrior doesn’t know Hestia well but he trusts Scorch completely, and Scorch has vouched for the black lady. “I also have amongst my people, as I am sure you do also, those with different unique talents that could be of aid in different circumstances. I propose we share a list of these talents, if not exactly which individual holds them unless they become necessary, with each other, so we know exactly what kind of help to request if needed, for efficiency. For instance, I have a new grandson who can detect the telling of lies.” That is not the most interesting of his childrens’ talents, but he is sure Hestia knows he wouldn’t share the juiciest of things before an agreement is made. Hestia holds the ultimate card in that game perhaps with Djinni the mage, but that personage is known to be capricious and work ultimately to her own whims, as Brennen well knows, so in many instances it would be better to use a lesser but more specialized talent. And why should two allied Kingdoms not share such talents?

He waits for Hestia to respond how she will, but also takes a moment to look at each of the boys in turn, to see if they have anything to add or questions to ask.
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

@[Belgaer], @[Trekori] no obligations to show up here but we'll say Brennen stopped on his way out to invite the boys on this diplomatic meeting if they want to come along <3

Trekori

i'm freezing, it's not winter yet
    but my fingers and toes
    are shivering beneath these sheets
    and i feel so alone
    i don't want to die, i want to sleep

Handy, that the two he chooses to invite are winged like him; and of course it is without hesitation that I leap into the air beside him, thrilled to be included in something as important as meeting with the Queen to whose kingdom we are most greatly allied. Although my wingspan is far smaller than Brennen's, I pump away to keep up, and the short distance between the islands and the northernmost coast passes more quickly than I'd imagined it would. As we are landing, I wonder to myself if my grandmother will be present at this meeting - but she'd been in Ischia for the meeting, and as a wingless creature, she may still be making the journey back.

I walk in silence next to my new king, spotting Hestia at the same time as he does. I'd seen her at the meeting too, but it's different seeing her close up - mostly because of the thing that trails after her like a puppet. I cannot help the small snort that escapes me upon sight of it, but I quickly remember myself and draw a neutral expression across my face.

Brennen first addresses Hestia, and then turns with a small smile to introduce myself and another, if Belgaer has chosen to follow. I dip my head to the Queen. "Trekori," I offer in as manly a tone a yearling can muster. "At your service." I cringe internally at how generic and stick-in-the-mud that sounded, but outside, I allow the awkward phrase to pass by, grateful to Brennen for having a literal novel to say to this woman.

He first touches on the details of our alliance, and I listen eagerly, but reservedly, not wanting to get in the way. I've yet to live long enough on this earth to know exactly how things used to be, but I am learning, and I stow away this important information in the schema marked relations between the bachelors and amazons. So, this wasn't going to be a half-assed thing; it's either all in, or nothing at all. My amethyst eyes linger on Hestia; she'd been there to support Brennen's mutiny... She wouldn't withdrawn the alliance now, would she? Stranger things have happened; that, at least, I know.

At the point of having representatives in the respective kingdoms, I clear my throat quietly. When their eyes turn towards me, I take the opportunity to say what I mean to, careful not to slip up or to have a voice crack or anything foolish at all. "While having representatives might work, here's how I see it: to my knowledge, the bachelor and amazon kingdoms from Before were exclusive based on sex. From what I know of Nerine now, and of what Ischia shall become, that exclusivity will be... Less harsh." I glance to Brennen for reaffirmation of this fact.

"But in truth, we know that it's hard to recruit men to a sisterhood, and women to a brotherhood - usually those anomalies present themselves to us, instead of the other way around. What if, in times of quiet, the women-members of Ischia came to help revive Nerine, or the men-members of Nerine came to help revive Ischia? What I mean to say is that we could recruit for each other." My eyes glimmer excitedly now, though I keep my voice even; it's a strange idea, one I've never heard considered, and I wonder at how it'll be received by those around me now. "If we are to be sister kingdoms, I don't see why not."

The conversation flowed forward then to spies and to examples of spies, and I remain quiet on this subject. Besides my physical traits, I am as plain as they come, and of no use as a spy. My eyes go thoughtfully to Belgaer, wondering what his thoughts might be on the subject, or if he is the lie-detecting child Brennen speaks of. Rolling my shoulders and shuffling my wings, I settle into a hip, curious as to their reactions to my idea.

Sorry for the wordsplosion. Oblivion can powerplay Kori Smile

The world is imploding around them. She is in the center and knows it, is happy about it. Chaos, it’s started. More than she’d intended, but no less than she’d anticipated. She knows from many cycles of experience that a small ripple becomes a big wave and when one is plotting anything others are quick to follow. It’s the creators of these ripples that come out on top, and in this game of politics the queen knows she MUST come out on top. She hears his voice, Brennen, Hestia’s is as lyrical as it’s always been, her smooth gate carrying her across her sands. His young diplomat is quick on the king’s heels. Amusing expressions flit across his face. She gestures in acknowledgement to the child. Languid in her steps she draws closer to them, he’s in her land once again.

The black queen’s presence at the meeting had been a silent and steady one. There was no need for her voice, her threatening presence had been enough to keep the peace. Even those that objected to the uprising didn’t dare to spat their profanities to Nerine’s queen or even towards her representatives. She’d gathered much information from that alone. A menacing smile had curled her lips on her way back from Ischia. Yes, that was exactly what she’d needed. Nerine’s standing in Beqanna had been confirmed on that day. A strong and threatening kingdom, exactly as she’d designed for it to be. Another reason she’d been glad to assist Brennen in his little upstart. She knows the game to well. Rumors are powerful, and actions can be deadly. She makes her moves with a precision that isn’t to be trifled with.

Not at all, she welcomes all, and turns away only a select few from her borders the brotherhood not among those. She is eager to begin this alliance. She doesn’t interrupt the newly throned king. Beqanna is going to be seeing a lot of new leaders, herself included. She nods her head to his first set of proposals. That is the simple part. There is no risk there. It’s when he gets to his next proposal that she pauses in thought for a moment. A trust, the new king is asking for a trust. Something that she does not give fully to anyone, not even Scorch. Her lip twitches just slightly. There is no way that he could know a fraction of the power that lies slumbering in Nerine, Djinni is just the icing. She almost desires to laugh. But he surprises her when he freely offers the first tidbit of talent as a sign of peace. Cunning Brennen, very cunning. She thinks as her green eyes narrow, scrutinizing for any malicious intent he may hold.

Every fiber in her being balks at this idea. But if they are to be sister kingdoms they would indeed need to trust one another. It’s then that the foal speaks, and so we begin. She cocks her hip settling in comfortably with that thought. The proposals are intriguing. She mulls them over, Oblivion silent by her side. He doesn’t speak in her mind, allowing her to calculate as she must. Power is dangerous in any hands, and I’ve prevented anyone in Nerine, including myself from knowing all the powers at play. You would ask me to put their lives at risk. She knows a few who’s talents could put their lives and their children, those that have children, at risk. She’s repaid his favor with this bit of information. It’s more than she’s ever said to anyone about the extent of Nerine’s strength.

Hestia pauses for a moment letting him think on her words. I would suggest that if we need assistance with a matter we bring it to the other if that kingdom is able to accomplish the task it can simply agree to perform the task or turn the other in the direction of someone able to. It would save her people, her officials who need to keep their talents secret. It would also provide a basis for building trust. When this piece has been clearly defined she addresses the child’s point. Nerine holds to the old values of the Amazon’s on being warriors and protectors. But the equality here will remain intact. Sister kingdoms who are free to recruit from one another regardless of gender would be welcome. Along with idea on representatives. Once again she pauses, giving them a chance to insert their thoughts. Would the brotherhood hold the same equality? Or will it be biased towards males? Oblivion crooks it’s head towards Trekori then Brennen. It says nothing. Not yet. They’ve only just begun. It’s thoughts could wait until these first matters were settled.

HESTIA

@[Brennen]
    @[Trekori]
    Sorry for the wait ><
    Belgaer
    A new world was dawning.

The sunrise on the morning of their departure appeared to them cloaked in a thick blanket of clouds. Autumn was upon them, with the changing of the season, rains spilled almost daily now. A chill replaced the warm hug of summer, reminding them all of the trials of winter. Trials seemed to come in droves, of late. Belgaer can’t help but feel a heaviness looming over them as an unrest lingered thickly within the young stallion’s mind. Following his father, they’d left the island at the first sight of dawn to make their way up the coastline towards Nerine. Diplomacy did not sleep, it would seem, and, even though the black queen had been among them at the time of the dethroning, she’d quickly left to rejoin her people. It was their duty to go to her to discuss the terms of their alliance.

Flying beside him, Brennen and Belgaer were accompanied by Trekori. He was, thankfully, a winged fellow whose glowing horn helped them see through the lingering darkness of morning. He’d been one of the first to speak on his father’s behalf.

Ahead of them, Brennen led them deeper into Nerine. The stallion’s previous hesitation to leave did not show upon the confidence of his movements. With so many things remaining unclear, and the recent unrest in both Loess and Sylva – Belgaer tried to push the darkness out of his thoughts. Beqanna was changing again and he tried to remind himself that this would not be the final exchanging of power he would witness.

The overthrow of Krone had cost Ischia her most loyal subjects, leaving their numbers a mere few compared to what they had been before. Brennen had to feel the sting of that betrayal.

Belgaer had to admire his father. For all his losses the stallion did not allow himself to linger in that place of rejection. He pushed forward, determined to do what was right by the people that had called out his name.

Finally over the shore of Nerine, he followed his bay father’s lead as he landed softly in the sand. Beside him, the sea breeze caught his mane and tossed the bronze and chestnut strands in the air. There was an urgency among them – they were all eager to return home.

Gently, Brennen’s voice called out a greeting and Belgaer followed his gaze towards the blackened queen as she approached. She’d known that they would come. Although, this time, she was no alone. The leathery black child at her heels appeared more snake than horse as his eyeless gaze swept past them. For a moment, Belgaer was repulsed at the sight of the prong tailed beast – his senses instantly on alert. There was an evil that clung to the young colt, even as he stood silently beside his queenly mother.

Forcing himself to look away, Belgaer focused his attention upon the two leaders as they opened the conversation between them. Words flow, and voices fill the quiet of the morning. Trekori wastes no time in ensuring that his is not forgotten. There was a new world to build and it would be better if they stood together.

He observed as suggestions were traded and Hestia listened. Both kingdoms harbored great strength behind their borders and, together, they could stand nearly impenetrable.

Hestia posed a question best answered by his father. Belgaer craned his neck to assess his father’s reaction. The brotherhood had, for a long time, been reserved to those born male – even though there were others who wished to infiltrate that tradition. His own sister was among those wishing to find a place among them.

“I think my father will agree that it is time for archaic traditions to be set aside,” Belgaer’s offering was feeble, he knew, but it was clear what the mare wanted. Equality. “Progress must be made, and we will not achieve that by moving backwards. Already, Ischia has many talented female warriors. My little sister, could put even my own skills to shame. From the time we are able, my father devotes hours to our training – regardless of sex – so that we know how to defend ourselves, and our home, should the time ever come where it is needed.”

Many fond memories lie beneath the surface of his words, and he hoped the truth of what he shared would put Hestia at ease. It would be up to his father, however, to prove that his son's confidence justified.
    The Prodigal Son

@[Hestia] @[Brennen] @[Trekori] I reposted to fix the errors in my original reply.
    This is the part of running - and ruling - a Kingdom that he has always avoided. He had leaned hard on his reputation as a warrior of great repute, and avoided being sent into the field as a diplomat by all but his most shrewd Kings (though he had escorted no small few of the Tundra’s diplomats into uncertain situations to serve the role of silent protector, as even now he plans to send Leilan out again with Kori when they return, and has Mosrael out to watch Jesper’s). Not out of any lack of aptitude for the role of envoy, but simply because he found it better on the whole to be underestimated. Certainly it had served him well in this era, with Krone and Klaudius completely floored by the support a stallion they must have thought to be all brawn and no brains had managed to set against them. But with the ascension to the head of his order rather than his typical position at the head of their fighting forces, Brennen knows that amongst allies at least he is safe to drop the act. Hestia, he is sure, would rather have a King of Ischia who she can count on to think things through, not rely on solely their military prowess.

In that vein, he considers her first response, seeing the caution and the sense in her words. Personally, he has found it safer for people to know of his own traits and be intimidated by them than to hold them in secret reserve, but he knows that even amongst his own children that is not the only opinion. Do they not guard Cagney’s secret skill fiercely, for fear of the danger a reveal of role in past events would put him in? The argument is sound, and such conversations as these are what makes allies more valuable, for the wealth of their combined minds. “Eminently sensible,” comes his quiet agreement along with a nod, and that matter is concurred upon, leaving them free to discuss a more broadly fundamental issue, and one he is already weary of addressing despite it having been not even a week since the mutiny.

But, he has not spent five decades cultivating the mask of perfect stillness and patience just so he can act like a dumb warrior when the mood strikes him; not an iota of his weariness of his impatience with those like Durotan who accuse him basically as seeing women as inferior shows in his face or posture. The young men flanking him both have things to say on this score, and Brennen lets them, trusting to these two not to blunder into saying anything he can’t recover them from. They prove worthy of that trust, and when either of them glances at Brennen for affirmation he offers it with a small smile, chiming in to fill the silence only when they have finished, to give Hestia his personal words on the issue. ”Ischia and the Brotherhood will not turn away anyone willing to swear themselves to our tenants, regardless of gender or any other factor. The spirit of the Tundra is alive and well amongst our people, new and old, but we are not the Tundra.” Nothing reminds him as firmly of this as residency on a tropical island, which is as far from the Tundra as one could ever hope to get. “I believe so far the consensus on shorthand for the tenets we are formalizing for ourselves is ‘All for one and one for all’.” He adds the last with a quirk of a smile, personally pleased by the way his Brothers’ ideas for their future have aligned with his own.

“But even without purposefully excluding anyone, there will be those who do not fit into our lifestyle or tenets. I think it would not be wrong if two closely allied Kingdoms to suggest to those who do not find a place amongst us that they try our sister-Kingdom first before going out into the world to look for something else.” Indeed, some have already departed with the change. Belgaer feels the loss of Krone the hardest because he had grown old enough to choose to stay and serve Ischia under her, but Brennen felt Astarael’s departure the truest, because he is unsure where he failed his second-youngest daughter. He glances at Kori, and expounds upon his idea. ”Our recruiters would also be happy to mention Nerine to anyone they’re talking to who simply isn’t showing interest in Ischia.” It’s always fun to have a little healthy competition amongst friends, Brennen especially enjoys vying with Scorch over recruits in the Field, but there’s no reason why they can’t help each other out a little when those they speak too for whatever reason aren’t interested in their primary offers.

A pause, and then he moves on, thoughtful again with a tiny frown and a look of concentration. “As far as representatives go, I seem to be overflowing with Scorch’s children, but they are Ischians now and not representatives of Nerine. Likewise, I have a daughter likely to leave us for your shores soon, but as she wishes to distance herself from my shadow, Bristol will most likely pledge herself to Nerine. It seems to me that having a productive adult living within the other land full time would be a silly use of our resources; but perhaps a schedule to our visits so we stay up to date? Or some variation of foal training or exchanges like times of old.” he glances at the boys and at her, looking for input here. He is old-fashioned and would be perfectly happy with working towards sealing their alliance with shared children and blood, but this a new world and adjustments might have to be made.

”Looking towards the outside world, where does Nerine stand with the other Kingdoms? I do not wish to make any agreements elsewhere that would put us even tentatively at odds.” While he admires the very-neutral Falls of old, he knows that having alliances can make other relationships tricky. “For us, Krone and her family left to settle in Tephra, but I cannot see a King wise enough to have held his throne as long as Warrick choosing to make an enemy of us for something like our peaceful takeover. Personally, I have a fondness for Hyaline. As for the others, I know nothing of them until my other diplomats have gone and come back.”
    BRENNEN

Trekori

i'm freezing, it's not winter yet
    but my fingers and toes
    are shivering beneath these sheets
    and i feel so alone
    i don't want to die, i want to sleep

Hestia picks up the line of conversation from where I leave it off, and I listen expectantly. The Queen of Nerine certainly knows her business, and I respect her for it, eager to hear her opinions on things. After all, with how close our kingdoms are, she comes almost as close to being my leader as Brennen does. Some might contest that statement, or resent it, but I am fullheartedly for our sisterhood. With the approaching darkness, there truly shall be strength in numbers.

Sister kingdoms who are free to recruit from one another regardless of gender would be welcome. I nod upon hearing these words of affirmation, my chest swelling imperceptibly with pride; what I've said has been heard, and I can't help the warmth that washes over me at knowing so. But I quickly shove the distracting emotions aside (with the help of that thing looking at me with its eyeless eyes and sending shivers down my spine) and quirk my ears to what Belgaer has to say.

The journey that morning had been pleasant with the relative prince, though in truth we are all brothers in arms now. With me spearheading the group to improve visibility, it had truly felt like some sort of mission; it's not often you see an arrangement of three horses dotting Beqanna's sky, traveling in harmony. Despite only knowing Belgaer from the meeting, as well as from smelling him nearer the center of Ischia where Brennen's Queen lives (the mare from the meeting, with the tiny filly in tow), I find myself already taking a liking to the stallion. It's easy to like someone when they want the same thing as you: a brotherhood stronghold.

The stallion offers up some information about his sister, Mosrael I assume, and I nod in appreciation. I haven't met my only sister, Cerva, but there's no doubt in my mind that she could outshine any of her three brothers at the task of her choosing; there is a difference between the sexes, but not an inequality. I believe that the many men of Ischia understand this, far better than our ancestors of the Tundra ever had.

Brennen goes on to speak to this effect, stealing the words right out of my brain. He also reaffirms what I've said, sending another jolt of pride through me, though I really have done little to deserve the overwhelmingly good feeling. I blush a little at the mention of Scorch's children, slightly embarrassed to be one of them - not that her legacy scares me or anything, just sort of weird since she and I have only met each other in passing a handful of times, though Noori did introduce us when I was still dependent on her for milk. When Brennen mentions scheduling, I speak up again, shoving off these silly emotions.

"To touch on that, we could also do kingdom visits together. Instead of Ischia sending two men to each kingdom, and Nerine two women, we could half our numbers, couple a Nerinian and an Ischian together, and have the visits done in half the time. The Ischian's have recently gone out to all the kingdoms, but for next time, it's something to consider perhaps."

I fall silent then as the conversation flows to allegiances. This has been on my mind as well, considering the oncoming darkness - and from what I'd heard, Nerine was allied with Sylva before it's overhaul. Surely they would redact that political tie now that a devil was at the head of the autumn kingdom? Purple eyes going to Hestia, I await an answer to my silently asked question.

@[Belgaer] @[Hestia] I have no idea who goes next lol

The demon cocks it’s head, tilting towards each one that speaks. Their words are not lost to the holes that are all that exists for it’s ears, though that one thing is rather pointless as it can just as easily listen to their minds. It can’t smile maliciously, nor can Oblivion squint and glare its eyes at them. All it can do is pulse it’s aura towards them finding the chinks in their emotional stress and eating away at it in slow steady waves of fear.
    ~~~
    She shakes out her mane as if an annoying itch tickles at her neck. Hestia hates it when the child invades her thoughts like that. He may not control her, but sometimes she feels lost in his head, or it may be visa versa, but that’s the point isn’t it? Lost on our head, the sick voice leaches back in and it takes everything in her not to bite it or give any outward reaction to the words she knows only she can hear. She stays focused on the conversation. The glossy thing that is tethered to her, that stalks her and moves as her shadow is a cause for unease in the group. Even if it would do nothing to them. The first order she is relieved to find is easily resolved.
    ~~~
    She pushes Oblivion out once more, Hestia is getting better at this. If only it could smile it’s pride for her. The appaloosa catches it’s attention and the demon cannot resist the laugh it throws to the male from Oblivion’s mind, why am I repulsive? A snake, Oblivion likes that, yes a beautiful deadly snake. It’s scales shimmer iridescent in the rays of the sun while it’s tail floats listlessly behind it.
    ~~~
    This will not do, not when she has to do diplomatic tasks. She listens to them pushing the stress of the demon to the back of her mind for now. Brennen’s response has her relaxing somewhat. He could have manipulated it, held onto the aspect like a dog with a bone, but he doesn’t. This tells her more than any of the other words he could use. She closes her eyes with the nod she gives them as each assure her of the equality. Yes she suspected as much, but suspecting is different from confirmation, and everything must be stated in clear concise terms with an alliance.

She can attest to this as she made it clear to Djinni when aligning with Ischia NOT to extend the alliance to Krone herself. Details, details, they can be the beginning or the end of a leader. She won’t let it be her end. She cannot associate herself with a kingdom who’d even have the slightest chance of putting women below them. We will do the same. With that they move on to the next topic.

They bring up ideas for the exchanges and inter-kingdom relations. She doesn’t have any hesitation on this. Very true, if you like we can do a foal exchange for a year. She listens to his response before continuing. We can also meet annually to keep up to date, possibly turn it into a holiday, where all the inhabitants of both kingdoms can mingle? We could conduct our kingdom meetings as sister kingdoms and let them celebrate our unity. The idea had just dawned on her as they spoke of how the diplomacy would work. It would actually make it easier, could be much more efficient, and also would give the kingdoms something fun to look forward to instead of just work.

She listens to their responses before moving on to the training aspect. Yes, training would be good, I myself could use some refreshers. Maybe make that into an event every couple of years? Or just one event. And do a different one at a later time. A smile ghosts, lingering on her lips with the dryness of her humor, and a role of her shoulders occurs when she finishes. It matters little to her which they choose, but to have events happen would be good for Nerine. It would aid in training new warriors and oil the rust away from old ones. When yet another topic has closed off and all have had their say they move to the last.

We have done child swaps with Hyaline and Tephra. Sylva was friendly with us under Sabra, but I must travel to Sylva and see for myself the changes this new king is making, along with Loess. After this I will send a messenger to you and give you my answer. I don’t give a wit about good and evil, the Valley was my second home after all. But I don’t support cowards or those lacking honor either. She breathes in the salty air of her home. They seem almost finished and it’s here that she remembers to bring up the subject of titles. At our meeting several names were brought up, many of them able to be mismatched between one another. Personally my favorites are the Leviathans or Hydrons for Nerine. A balance in gender but still holds the same strength for warriors. She wonders at if Ischia has decided on a name for themselves yet. It ties us to the ocean.

HESTIA

@[Brennen] @[Belgaer] @[Trekori]
    Belgaer
    The salty land is oddly familiar to that of Ischia. Surrounded by the sea, both Nerine and the island held many similarities and it felt even more fitting that they should come together in such a time of change. Brennen does not hesitate, though Belgaer senses his father’s discomfort at spearheaded diplomatic affairs. A warrior at heart, his mind was trained for the battlefield, not for idle conversation.

Effortlessly, the bay addresses the queens concern and Belgaer listens intently, his concentration only shifted by the echo of a chilling laugh within the depths of his consciousness. Instantly his eyes shift towards the slithering creature clinging close to the black of his mother. Although cloaked in shadow, the speckled chestnut sensed an oily smile upon it’s lips. Beside him, Hestia began to fidget as she tossed her mane in one agitated motion. Belgaer pitied the brave mare. Standing there now, with the empty sockets of her son upon them, he couldn’t even begin to imagine the daily torment she faced. Forcing the cackling of the furless creature out of his mind, Belgaer refocused on his father – training his mind towards the unease only he could see etched upon him.

Ruling had come with many new and difficult realities. Many had fled, choosing to support Krone. Among them had been his own child, Astarael. Young still, Bel had immediately volunteered to go in search of his little sister – but he’d been needed elsewhere. Still, he could see it in his father’s eyes. He was searching for her, hoping to see the shadow of her existence amongst the sea of coarse grass.

It’s in light of these recent losses that the mention of his other sister, Bristol, catches him momentarily by surprise. Admittedly, her departure from the island was inevitable and he knew he would rather see her safely under the watchful eye of Hestia than lost to the wrong sort. However, it’s the idea of a foal exchange that sets his teeth on edge. Thoughts of his newest sibling, Khaeli, fill him with revulsion at the thought of handing her off to another. Many practices of old had been strategically forgotten, this one tradition remained stubbornly retained. Still, he remains silent.

Once again, Trekori does not hesitate to present himself. He shows a wisdom beyond his assigned age. Smiling Belgaer steps forward, “I will volunteer myself as one of the first to participate in Trekori’s idea of visits.” He offers an encouraging smile towards the colt before continuing. “He is not wrong to suggest that combining forces could be of great benefit. Not only would we be assisting each other in this necessary task, but there is strength in numbers.”

Neither leader could argue the fact that protecting each other was the highest priority of their union. Their survival could depend entirely upon the other and the conditions of their alliance. At the mention of Sylva, however, Belgaer bristles. There was a darkness that enveloped the land now and the stallion feared for his sister’s safety. Though he knew she was capable of protecting herself and Jesper, a part of him had wished that he’d been allowed to accompany them. Sending a child of Brennen, a newly enthroned leader, into the clutches of an unknown leader – it felt risky and he had half a mind to travel there directly after things were settled with Nerine.
    “I have heard whispers,” he offered hesitantly. “And I am one to believe that we can no longer assume that Sylva will remain even a shadow of the land that we have all come to expect.”
    The Prodigal Son

The order is: @[Brennen] @[Trekori] @[Hestia] then Bel. :Smile Sorry this is so late.
    He likes the idea of sending Ischians and Nerinians to diplomatic events together, gives the boy a nod and tucks the idea away for later. But the pervasively uncomfortable atmosphere is beginning to affect even the ice-King, and he shifts uneasily - it’s minute, nearly invisible, but for the statuesque Brennen, it’s nearly screaming his worries. But age has given him some perspective, and so he knows that it’s not necessarily him creating this stress. His amber eyes flick briefly to settle on the strange creature, and he as a feeling that eventually, he’ll lose the ability to decide what worries and fears are and are not rational.

They drift along to the topic of foal exchanges and other diplomatic events, and Brennen listens to all of them. Hestia makes some interesting contributions, and he likes them quite a lot - the idea of cross-training together is not a new idea, but one he has always enjoyed. They can become stagnant training only amongst their own, and collaboration between minds and bodies makes everyone stronger. He nods to this, and considers the foal situation for a moment. He absolutely does not miss the way his son had stiffened at the idea of his little sister Khaeli being traded in any way, and his own fear for the protection of his children has major chinks in it, aggravated by Oblivion. So, he does not commit to that. “Let us shelve the idea of a foal swap for now. I think our bond is strong, with or without it, and we have plenty of other balls in the air that will cement that bond.” Ideas like the social gatherings, and he follows that idea to another. “Stronger bonds between our youth would be the ones they forge themselves. Perhaps we organize events that socialize our youth, in particular, with one another. It wouldn’t hurt if some of our best and brightest young minds might discover they had a fondness for one another.” Neither Brennen nor Hestia has chosen an heir. The right political arrangement, backed with true affection children had established for themselves, might yield an arranged marriage of sorts that would benefit all.

The details are not a matter for now. In fact, he finds himself worrying right now about the safety of his queen and his four youngest children, far in excess of the actual danger they probably are in, and he decides it’s about time to wrap it up entirely. Maybe their next meeting won’t include the black child. “We’ll look forward to hearing from you,” he says about the other Kingdoms. He is not a light either, but nor is he a dark. Brennen would have been most at home in a neutral Kingdom. He tends to protect his own with every fiber of his being, and the Brotherhood has a code they live by, but anything outside of that purview is fair game. They will make decisions with all of the facts - the ones his own diplomats bring back for him, and the decisions Hestia and the sisterhood make. The last subject - a name. He would shrug, if he could, but instead he pushes away the anxiety he is sure is not his own and flicks an apologetic smile. “So far we’ve been simply going with ‘The Brotherhood’, and it wasn’t the foremost thing on any of our minds at our first big gathering. We may end up sticking with it, for simplicity, but we’ll give it some more thought. Krakens and Tritons have been mentioned, I think, and I’m quite taken with both.”

Another tendril of thought - what if Krone has come back while he is here in Nerine? - convinces Brennen it’s quite past time to go. There’s a beat where he allows for anything else Hestia has to say, and then he gives her a nod. “Forgive me, but I think we’ve been away from Ischia for far too long this early in the way of things. We’ll wait for your messenger before decided on our own relationships to Kingdoms that aren’t Nerine, and when things are perhaps a bit more settled, our diplomats can arrange the first social type gathering.” He begins to unfold his wings, though he won’t be able to do so completely with Belgaer and Trekori on either side of him, “If something changes, I or someone else will come right away.”
    BRENNEN

feel free to respond but I figured it was time for the boys to wrap it up for now and we can work on actually doing some of these things < 3 <3 <3