• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Blood is Thicker than Water [Kwartz, Any]
    Kromium ~ Karat
    Blood is Thicker than Water

Recent events were beginning to turn their short lives into a blurr.  First they were attacked physically and now they were leaving the home they just returned too.  Barely a week had gone by since they had made the long trip home.  Karats ribs were just beginning to ease of the constant pain, when mother rushed to them.  Come kids, we need to leave...

Obediently Krom and Karat gathered near their mother as she lead the way.  Another stallion accompanied them as well.  Karat questions her mother, "But...but...we just got home.... Where are we going Mother? What's wrong?" Her inquires are hushed away and only the nudge of Kroms muzzle comforts her.  Lavender eyes turn to Kwartz in confusion.  He had it worse, she thinks.  Forcing a smile, she reaches to brush her velveteen muzzle along his neck.  "It'll be ok Kwartz," she tries to reassure him but more herself maybe.  

Following behind her mother and between her brothers, she watches the affections shared between the brown stallion and her mother.  Her lavender nose wrinkles with disgust and then makes a kissy face to Krom as she giggles.  No situation was too serious that Karat couldn't poke fun at, so she thought.  

Bored, she begins to drag her feet.  As she's about to ask, are we there yet, the come to a stop.  A channel of water separates another isle from the mainland.  Her eyes stare across the vast distance and towards the mountain upon the horizon.  Slacked jawed she questions Krom, "What do you think that is?..." Krom had walked the entire journey in silence and was reluctant to break it.  Something was bothering mother and he wants to know what.  But knowing his sister, she wouldn't give up until he endulged her curiousity, "Maybe they shove naughty foals down the smoking crater when they don't listen..." He laughs at his joking and winks to Kwartz, "That right Kwartz?"  

Knowing her brother all too well, she dismisses his sarcasm with the presentation of her fleshy pink tongue.  Followed by, "Ha ha... Very funny Krom!" Her face turns to watch a stranger approach and begin speaking with their mother.  Adults were so boring but a few words catch her interest, "homeless..." She whispers as her eyes widen.  Their gaze landing on Krom then turning to Kwartz.  The playful antics dissapate quickly as she realizes the severity of their situation...

@[Kwartz]
    I've been a fool all my life, Kwartz. You're the only thing I don't regret. That's why you have to go with them

He'd fought, he'd cried, but she remained stoic. Mother, his mother was pushing him away. Maybe she had good reasons, maybe he really would be more safe with his relatives. But he wanted his mother. It had been the two of them against ghee world for so long. Why was she changing that? Why was she making him go? And then the heavier blow had been swung, knocking the air from him. 

"You are my strength and my Light, baby, and i can't let you get hurt any more. Go Kwartz. Go with your father. He'll take care of you while I can't." His father? Mother's sad blue eyes had followed the purple stallions departing figure, and the pied colt finally saw the truth for what it was. She had been lying, all along. He hadn't fought, after that. Now he stood here, surrounded and alone, the only home he knew being invaded by the darkest souls. And she'd let it happen. 

Karat, his half sister, tried to reassure him. He shrugged the words off silently. Staring straight ahead he marched with the group, not saying a word once they left the bounds of what had once been his kingdom. And now they were looking into a new land, hoping for a kind welcome in their time of need. Kromium's joke about the volcano fell flat on his ears, anf he wished desperately that he could fly away from here. He'd find mother and make her explain things properly. The throbbing in his damaged wing dictated otherwise. It would be several weeks until he was fit to fly, just another stone added to the weight in the list boy's stomach. He almost welcomes it when Karat's gave falls, and she finally realizes just how screwed they are. "Finally got there, have you?" He asked bitterly. Misery loves company. 

@[Kromium~Karat]
    Kromium ~ Karat
    Blood is Thicker than Water

Besides answering Karat, his entire focus is on the discussion of the elders.  The conversation is saddening to say the least.  They had lost their home but they still had each other.  He steps closer to his mother as Karat too quiets.  His emerald eyes find her stunned by the news.  Kwartz grumbles something to Karat and then it happens...

"This is YOUR fault you know!" Karats gaze turns to Kwartz in anger provoked by his comment.  Her words are direct and sour tasting, "YOU wanted to follow that freak! I didn't!! I wanted to wait for my mother BUT noooo... Now look!" She finishes with a snort and an upturn of her face.  Lavender ears ears pinning against her poll.

Krom observes what happens in horror.  Why was everyone fighting?! His ears also pin as he steps from mother's side.  Confronting his sister quickly, "It's not anyone's fault Karat, don't say that.  We are fine!" He steps towards her and brushes his muzzle to hers before turning to Kwartz.  His eyes empathetic to their situation but he truly believed everything will be ok.  In an attempt to salvage the relationships between them all he speaks, "We aren't homeless... We have each other, our family.  That's all that matters." He knows nothing could replace the colts mother but he hoped at least for now they were enough...

Turning back to look at Karat, his voice turns stern, "Say you're sorry Karat." Krom waits as he hopes Kwartz hadn't turned to run off because of Karats stubbornness.  Karats' eyes, that had shut in protest, soon peek open to view Kwartz.  A huff of air escapes her lungs, "FINE! I'm sorry Kwartz".  And she was...

@[Kwartz]
    The children are arguing. It seemed that everyone was arguing now, everyone was fighting about something. She moves away from the conversation the other adults are having, and instead turns her attention to her children. She looks each in their eyes, all reflections of her own.

It was time they learned the truth.

“Come, children.” She says, taking them away from the others. It was best she explain this just her, so that maybe it would be easier for them to comprehend. When they are a short distance away from the welcoming committee she turns to them, sighing.

“It is true, young ones, we are homeless...” Her voice trails. “But to no fault of your own. No fault of anyone. Brennen has planned this...raid, for awhile now. There was nothing we could do about it. The numbers weren’t in our favor in Ischia.” She looks directly at Kwartz. “Sylva was taken to...by who I’m not sure but that’s why your mother sent you with us. So you’d be safe.” She looks down now. “politics are hard to explain to such young, caring souls. Ischia is not ours anymore. But maybe we can rebuild...here.”