• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; Solace/Kagerus/Jesper/Any
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    It takes longer to get to Hyaline on foot, but Brennen is not impatient. Rather, he is pleased for the opportunity to spend a few private moments with his grandson that he doesn’t have to carve out of his schedule elsewise. It’s easy to lose the adult children and grandchildren in the hustle and bustle, especially with four true youngsters to look after, his own three plus a grandson dropped on his doorstep only just as the mutiny had been completed. He hasn’t had a chance to ask Jesper more than the most basic questions about his travels before he had settled in the ill-fated Sylva, but he takes the time while they travel to ask just those questions and listen attentively to the answers.

All too soon, though, they arrive at the borders of Hyaline, and Brennen pauses to call out the prerequisite polite greeting before leading Jesper towards the interior of the Kingdom, walking at a leisurely pace that makes it very clear that they’re not any sort of threat. It’s all a rather abrupt departure from his usual manner of simply showing up, his distinct silhouette on the horizon all the warning he usual gives before landing in his favorite spot near the lake. If he were along he might have still come that way, but then again, with as tense as the whole world is, he might still have taken the more conventional route.

The last thing he needs is to spook someone who doesn’t know him by accident, and start an Incident. “Did you ever come here?” he asks Jesper as they reach the lake, with the mountain reflected perfectly on its crystalline surface. Some tension that he wasn’t aware he was carrying eases from his shoulders, rustling his wings nearly imperceptibly, a reflection of the peaceful atmosphere that Hyaline has under Solace’s reign. “I like Hyaline,” he confides in his grandson while they wait for someone to join them; “I had a hoof in its beginnings, and I approve of the direction Solace is taking the Kingdom.”

Perhaps a perfect King would be impartial when considering potential allies and treaties, but Brennen has never really understood how anyone can be truly impartial unless they don’t care for anyone or anything. If Hyaline is this era’s Dazzling Waterfalls, his affection for them will remain, even before the consideration of their shared history.
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

@[Jesper] @[Solace] @[Kagerus]
    Jesper could not feel help but feel hopeful for their trek to Hyaline. He had only heard good things about the sanctuary when the topic made conversation. He was eager to meet Solace and, even more so, keen on having some one-on-one time with his grandsire. He also yearned to see Brennen in action. Sleek ebony steed falls into stride alongside mahogany warrior with a certain flare to his steps. Bronze-tipped lobes process each question thoughtfully before Jesper provides the details of his time spent under Sabra’s reign. Although, he finds disappointment in having a rather large opportunity ripped out from under him, the stallion refrains from lacing his words with a tone of disdain. He certainly did not agree with Morty’s way of life; however, he had already sworn not to passively stand-by and watch.

Before long, ceil blue gaze shifts to focus on the lush and pristine scene of Hyaline. The tall, conical mountain stands protectively over the pool of liquid crystal. Quad limbs display an animated walk as pair navigates towards the water’s edge. Nearly speechless from awe, Jesper hears Brennen’s question with a delay. He offers a hushed, “This is my first visit,” before he extends his own whiskered muzzle to the lake to sip from its cool waters. After a few swallows, untouched poll lifts and, aquamarine orbs survey the valley carefully. Salmon-lined nasal caverns also flare to accept the delicate fragrances, which travel his way on the gentle, autumn breeze. Among the many unfamiliar scents, Jesper detects the known perfumes of two women. Crest arches with anticipation as steed shuffles anxiously in place. They are alive and, safe. Lavendel and Sabra are here! Fleeting glance is cast back towards composed male before ebony equine settles himself with a deep inhale and, long exhale. He dare not put his personal agenda before their diplomatic task; however, he would stay behind, if need be, to ensure a proper hello – and goodbye – with the ladies.
    The earth was winding down for her winter rest; the leaves were changing and berries grew fat and ripe in the undergrowth. All around them the smaller mammals (and a bear or two) readied their dens and buried whatever bounty they could not bare to eat.
    Hyaline was a hub of life and activity.

As Beqanna shifted, the deck was shuffled and new faces appeared on her doorstep daily. Some were young and vibrant, others were in need of shelter, many were both. But despite the liveliness of the mountain kingdom, she knew it was time for her to stretch her wings and venture beyond the sheltered lake basin of her home. She needed to speak with the other leaders and take the pulse of the world around them.

But it looks as if she is not the only one who feels the need to reinforce friendships and seek out the like-minded. It appears that Brennen has saved her at least one of those expected journeys.

"Welcome!" She calls to her acquaintance and his guest as she trots across the fading bluegrass of the lakeshore. "Brennen, it is good to see you again so soon." Solace gives the ancient warrior a slight dip of her head before turning her attention to the other stallion. "I'm Solace, The Caretaker here in Hyaline." She gives a brief pause for the gold accented stallion to speak before again returning her cerulean gaze to Brennen, alert and curious.

"Am I right to guess that this visit is in the name of duty and not pleasure?" She asks, pressing gently into the conversation with an accommodating smile. If there was more trouble brewing, something yet unknown to her, she wanted to know as soon as possible.

kagerus
    as dreams are to the sleeper, so am I to you
    With the alliance underway, I've been thinking more and more of what Brennen had to say when he came to visit nearly two years ago. The strategies he offered, his recommendations for winning; I analyze and reanalyze his words, mocking often with dreamt-up opponents and coming back into the real world with the wounds they leave behind. But the bruises and bites and blood is a small price to pay to be ready for each new round - I am sure that Brennen understands this.

It is a wings-day for me, and I glide around Hyaline, scouring the earth for signs of my queen so that I might invite her up to the clouds for some private frolicking. I can almost taste the sweat of her next to me as the mountain rolls by beneath me, and my heart skips a beat at the thought of her laughter dancing in the wind. A little nicker comes from me hopefully, though I know that no one could possibly hear me at this height; but I am wanting, needing, and in the privacy of the sky, I can't help but voice that.

A happy grin splits my lips when I spot the mare I've been seeking, but the expression falters and fails when I see exactly who she is approaching. Not that I'm unhappy to be seeing Brennen again, and whoever he's brought in tow; but it's not exactly what I'd had in mind for the afternoon. Swallowing the desire I feel for Solace and adjusting the mask I wear during political encounters, I swoop down on onyx wings to land close by.

As I trot to close the distance between us, I catch the tail end of Solace's greeting. Thinking to touch on that myself, I slow to a halt next to my queen and press an affectionate kiss to the underside of her jaw before turning to the stallion's hailing from Ischia; as my wing brushes against hers, I dare either of them to make a statement about how close the queen and her general are. Or, how close I think we are, anyway.

"Good to see you again Brennen," comes my lyrical tone, a smile drifting to the dark shade of my lips. My eyes turn to the other stallion, and I dip my head to him politely before continuing. "Times have changed since you last arrived, haven't they." My mind's eye goes to Nerine and it's demon, to Sylva and it's evil, to Loess and it's usurper. "The peace is finally breaking."

My weight shifts into a hip, and I shuffle my wings absently. "I hope the Alliance is going well for you as well."
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    As they settle by the lake, Jesper’s sudden rise in anxiety after scenting the air is not missed by the older stallion; but, neither is the way he visibly settles himself, ready to do what they came to do. He gives a nod, mostly to himself, of approval, but they do not have a chance to do much else before a familiar and welcome voice heralds the approach of the Caretaker herself. He turns away from the clear waters to face her approach with a smile, noting the also familiar form of Kagerus in her wake. He waits for the painted mare to catch up while he listens to Solace’s greeting and gives a pause to allow his grandson to introduce himself.

And to allow himself to observe. Kagerus has added wings to her ensemble today, and she is considerably more physically affectionate than at his last visit as well. Perhaps they are simply more at ease in his presence – or perhaps it’s a new development. And certainly, it helps to explain how both were so perfectly immune to his harmless flirting last time. “It’s good to see the both of you as well,” the bay stallion smiles at both, “And there’s no reason we can’t mix a little pleasure with our duty.” His amber eyes flick to Kagerus’ observation of the alliance and for just a minute his half-smile is hard-edged and fierce. “Yes, the Alliance is treating me as well as it’s treating you,” he agrees, and even though he had very little hand in Kagerus’ training (just a few words of advice) he is pleased with her progress, as a friend can be. He does not linger on this subject, though, as he is also aware that half of their group had not fared as well in the first round as he and Kagerus. They should not feel bad, for the Alliance is meant to test the very best of the best, but the wound of loss might still be fresh.

“Times have very much changed,” he agrees, and shifts a bit before resigning himself to business for the time being. “and as to the business part of the visit, we’ve come to announce a change of leadership in Ischia.” Careful, watching them, wondering if they’ve heard. It’s been a couple of days, after all, as he waited to secure his hold in Ischia and then his first trip was to Nerine. “In fact, I have taken over Ischia for the Brotherhood, with my Brothers beside me. We are aligned with Nerine as our sister-Kingdom, but I would very much like for Hyaline and Ischia to remain friends, if not more.”

He has no interest in being associated with what the rumors say Loess and Sylva are becoming and will send envoys there only to confirm the darkest rumors and bring news of his own ascension. But Tephra he has no strong feelings about at all, and Hyaline he is quite fond of. He is quite certain based on what he knows of his Brothers that they will feel the same way when queried, and also knows Hyaline maintains some ties to Nerine, and it is much easier to be friends with friends of friends.
    BRENNEN
    Light blue gaze shifts, from grandsire’s honey orbs, to eye the powder-blue wings of the tri-splashed lady striding towards them. Jesper barely gets the opportunity to admire her poise before a second pair of wings unfurl to deliver another equine close by. Once on solid ground, the mostly mahogany-hued form approaches in an animated trot. The raven steed studies the pair, now and, notes their comfort and confidence in each other’s presence. Jesper only sees a nuzzle of protective reassurance, which seems an entirely warranted interaction, between a leader and, her comrade, during these tense times. Long-lashes close over ice blue eyes when poll dips to offer a respectful greeting. Bronze-tipped acoustics flit between speakers and, when the silence makes way for his smooth voice, ebony equine pipes up. “It is a pleasure, Solace, to be welcomed so warmly. I am Jesper.”

Raven stallion continues to listen and, with Solace’s segue into conversation, he silently hopes that there is room for socializing. At least, if there were, he would feel less awkward about wandering off to find Lavendel and Sabra. Attention returns, from inner musings, to the words of the bay female regarding the Alliance. Jesper had not given much thought to his performance in months. However, her statement, meant to prod Brennen, stings him a bit. He thought he possessed what it takes to succeed on the battlefield. The realization that he actually lacks that something directly struck his pride. Jesper bites his lip and, refrains from betraying any emotion upon his façade. A sense of hope lifts the raven male’s mood as Brennen addresses the females and, mentions his willingness to tend to more than their duties while here. Jet-black steed follows along agreeably as grandsire speaks; his gaze soft, his lobes pricked forward attentively and, his body posture at ease in relaxation.

Solace

. . .

She getting better at accepting Kagerus' kisses with composure, but she still allows her eyes to slide closed as she wholly enjoys the public display of affection for the briefest of seconds. Solace quickly returns her full attention to the visiting diplomats, her eyes clear and curious, and her thoughts of further kisses suppressed for now. 

"Well, I'm glad to hear it," she replies to Brennen's resignations before her gaze flits back to his companion. "Jesper, if I remember correctly, you formerly lived in Sylva." Solace had spotted the raven-hued stallion in Hyaline's foothills attempting to steal one of her own not so long ago, and in return, she attempted to steal the clever stallion from the former monarch of the fallen kingdom. But she doesn't mention that now. "Sabra and Lavendel have both found their way here, and I'm sure seeing a familiar face would do them good." 

Then the conversation is shifting, and she is content to go where it takes them. Brennen's news does not cause the slightest disturbance across her bright face. Solace had heard little of Ischia's former queen and seen even less of her. The fact that Brennen now holds the crown could only be seen as an advantage to Hyaline. Solace was inclined to like the experienced Warrior King, and his mannerisms, so like her father's, made him feel easy to trust. "Congratulations." Her response is quick and sincere. Her cerulean gaze holds his as he continues, and she is pleased by his attitude along with his proposal. "More than friends," she repeats with a smile, relaxing into one hip. "I agree. Hyaline, Nerine, Ischia, Tephra, if we all remain united it will be much easier to keep Sylva and Loess subdued." Now it is her turn to watch him as she prepared to make a request he may not initially warm to.

"Brennen, I would like you to consider sending one of The Brothers to Hyaline for a year as a sign of our friendship. Ischia has the luxury of the oceans protection, but we must remain ever on our guards, continuously patrolling our southern and eastern borders. Someone with battle, or even just sparing experience, would greatly aid Kagerus in training up our guard. They would be an honored guest, and it could be an invaluable, hand on experience for a future general or leader."

kagerus
    as dreams are to the sleeper, so am I to you
    I smile widely at Brennen's idea of mixing pleasure and duty, careful not to look to Solace - that would imply too much even for me, and I'm sure for her as well, though she does always lean into my kisses when I give them. But ah, we mustn't be too rash with our affection; I can see in the honey of Brennen's eyes that he knows well enough about us to get by, and that satisfies my need for drama and attention. Jesper introduces himself too, and I lower my head to him in silent greeting.

I nod when Brennen mentions the alliance, and do not press farther as he moves on from it; I had honestly forgotten that Solace and Jesper hadn't made it past the first round. But I do now, as the conversation flowed past, and I feel a small twinge of guilt in my chest; but I let it go. The alliance is about camaraderie and brawn; let us not turn it into more than that.

The two monarchs exchange words at an ease back-and-forth rate, leaving me contented to listen and to occasionally speak up myself. A large smile breaks across my expression at the announcement of Brennen's assumption of the Ischia throne, and my congratulations echoes Solace's. "You damn well deserve it," I say steadily, the smile a little darker on my lips but there nonetheless. Brennen is a backbone of Beqanna; he more than anyone deserves a crown.

Solace goes on to agree that our kingdoms ought to remain more than friends, a statement with which I agree wholeheartedly. "There is no reason for Ischia and Hyaline to be anything less than allies. With the potential threat of the darkness returning, why leave cracks in our political relationships wherein that darkness might seep." A little poet for this warrior king, Kag, but I guess you got your point across.

The last point of conversation happens to be one that I hadn't been aware of; I listen intently to Solace's words, gazing at her with weighted nutmeg eyes. I nod at the mention of my name, and glance to Brennen to quietly continue where Solace left off. "I have assumed the role of Hyaline's Protector, the general of her rather feeble army. If this was something you could offer, I believe it would help to bolster confidence in those who think themselves too peaceful for the war caste." Falling silent, I wait expectantly for the bay King's answer.

This is garbage im sorry
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    He’s interested in their exchange, the words of Jesper’s former home that pass between Jesper and Solace, but he is quiet and lets them exchange these things with not much more outward reaction than the flick of one ear towards them, committing the names of these friends of his grandson to memory. As much as he is unhappy with what has taken place in Sylva, Brennen isn’t unhappy that it has brought Bethanie’s only son back to Ischia where Brennen believes he belongs, alongside much of the rest of the family. But then again, Bethanie had never been fully Brennen’s; her heart had belonged to the Falls, and the Falls had not found a new place in the new world, though Hyaline has the spirit of the neutral Kingdom in parts.

Both mares offer congratulations to the new King, and Brennen accepts this with a nod and a little smile. Kagerus is more effusive in her words and he digests them a moment; does he deserve it? Is it something one can deserve or simply a duty one feels called to perform? Well to Brennen it is no matter, someone needed to lead Ischia and someone needed to lead the Brotherhood and he fit easily into both roles, and was one of few with enough experience to get it done. But it’s certainly a question to consider as he puts thought to choosing an heir and other high-ranking officials within Ischia; how does one select from many qualified candidates?

Both mares are read to accept Ischia’s extended hand of friendship, and Brennen is glad. Perhaps they are not the strongest of allies in terms of brute strength, but he believes in their mission and the strength of their hearts. Their request, though, is no simple thing, and Brennen settles in to take a moment to think it over, considering the men and women who have gathered around him in Ischia. “It’s true numbers have grown quite wildly since the Brotherhood took Ischia,” he finally says, “But many are little more than children, and not all of the adults are expert warriors. We have a lot of work and learning to do also. I won’t order anyone to abandon our fledging Brotherhood for a full year while we are in such a crucial stage, but I can ask them. Perhaps they can come in shifts, a week or so at a time. That way no one will be left out of the building and shaking at home for too long, but they can help here as they can.”

It’s the best he can offer them; he wants to help protect their new allies but he won’t leave the home shores undefended either, and nor will he leave it protected only by children. Times are too uncertain, and already dark winds blow. “But if you need more help urgently, we are always just a short flight away.” He makes mental note to begin to push the flighted into harder training for both distance and speed - he wants the fighters ready to leave Ischia to defend their allies at a moment’s notice, and any non-fighters with wings to be ready as messengers. Even, though his heart clenches at the thought, his children. Even the littlest are almost a year old, and three of the four have wings that will soon carry them in flight if they are not flying already; they cannot fight, but they would make excellent messengers.
    BRENNEN
    Jesper offers a soft smile as the buckskin paint recognizes him. Poll dips briefly in embarrassment as ebony equine recalls her attempt to steal him and Lavendel. He can not be sure why he felt embarrassed. Perhaps it is because he felt uncomfortable revealing his adoration of the sweet mare in front of his grandfather. It was but an inkling of a spark and, hardly worth announcing just yet. Ceil blue gaze lifts to match hers as he softly expresses his gratitude. "Thank you for keeping them both safe, Solace."

Focus shifts onto the next exchange of words regarding the new brotherhood. Bronze-tipped lobes prick forwards in interest as Solace suggests a mutual trade. Jesper remains silent though, he feels strongly about establishing and maintaining inter-kingdom relationships. More friends just seemed more safe. Poll bobs along in agreement as conversation progresses from Solace to Kagerus to Brennen. He speaks of the outpouring of support he received and, many new recruits. However, Ischia's troops are novices and, his grandfather expresses this concern with regards to a long-term trade. Spoken like a truly, experienced warrior. Onyx stallion remains silent as he had little experience to back any advice he could muster. Rather, he paid keen attention to the discourse and, logged excellent notes within memory.
    jesper
    carnage x bethanie
    devin's∇designs

@[Brennen] @[Solace] @[Kagerus]