• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'm breathing in the smoke of my mental illness's cigarette // Leilan/Arthas

Trekori

i'm freezing, it's not winter yet
    but my fingers and toes
    are shivering beneath these sheets
    and i feel so alone
    i don't want to die, i want to sleep

How. How, and why.

(It's actually kind of funny, according to my brother Nihlus. Back in the day, he'd been the one that Brennen himself had been stuck going on diplomatic visits with. Now? It's our damn uncle that has me rolling my eyes and dreading for this meeting, instead of me, the Noorison, being the trouble maker. Somehow, it just sort of works out backwards. In a while, we'll laugh about it, but for now... grrr.)

The trek from Ischia is long with a walking creature to slow us down, but it's not really the time that it takes that bothers me. It's that there's no goddamn wind to impede our conversation; what I'd give to be up there in complete silence, the only sound the flapping of our wings.

As the canal falls behind us, I throw Leilan a glance. "Look, I like you well enough, but let's keep the chatting to a minimum. It's not far to Loess at all, just through the river, and I have faith that we can make it without me needing to fly away again this time." I'm larger than when we met by two fold, and I square my shoulders as I say the words - though he'll probably just tease me for being a show off for all the good it'll do me.

Tossing my mane a little, I pick up the pace to an easy canter. My uncle and I are both interested in the warrior caste, so this quick step should do us well for our stamina, at any rate. And, I sort of get my way now; we can't talk so easily. Praise the gods.

Not long after splashing through the river, we are greeted by the scentlines of Loess. Pulling up short with a snort and some heavy breathing, I toss a huge grin to the silver-gold stallion - and then remember that, technically, we are a little at odds. Still, as I struggle to suppress the wind-swept expression, I can't help but to lean over and bump my shoulders with him in a show of camaraderie. We are brothers now, after all.

Giving him a finally little smirk, I raise my dark nose to call for the newly crowned king of Loess, eager to see just what waits in store.

@[Leilan]
    Arthas
    Arthas was a busy man, he had his own diplomatic duties to take care of. On top of his duties to the kingdom he tried to be out and about to in the meadow or forest looking for a homeless equine, one who needed a home to call there own. Today he decided to do a border patrol, to ensure that he could not detect the scent of other kingdoms, to ensure no stragglers wandered into Loess. 

His attention was quickly caught by another when a whinny echos through his ears. He scans the area from which it came, but could not see anyone. He snorts and moves into a canter, as he grows nearer he can see two stallions awaiting him. A smirk grew on his maw, he knew other kingdoms would hear about him, the changes in Loess. He knew they would start coming, poking there nose into Loess business. Some would even try to secure an alliance with him.

He slows to a halt a few paces away from the pair, one was winged gold paint and the other a bay roan. They smelled of sea salt and he could only imagine they were coming from Ischia, his eyes scan over them once more before he speaks. Good day, how many I help you two? He does not offer his name, they came here for him, they knew who he was. The gold one held himself smugly, were they here for an alliance or to snoop?

A Product Of Your Despair

@[Trekori]@[Leilan]

Leilan had outed a small chuckle when Brennen requested he accompany Trekori; but to be fair the guy could not have known of their previous encounter. Back then, the boy had been so uptight that everything Leilan had said had rubbed him the wrong way. Judging by how he was acting now, perhaps that had been reduced to three-quarters. Still a long way to go, though.

It was also obvious that Trekori hadn't liked the idea of travelling with one without wings as well, impatiently waiting for Leilan to find a place to cross the ocean floor and somewhat irritably saying that he didn't want to talk much. To that, he threw the winged boy his most lovely smile as he could manage. "You never needed to, in my opinion."

That was probably the last of their conversation until they'd crossed the river and Trekori called out for Arthas. A dappled grey stallion appeared, Andalusian - only slightly shorter than Leilan himself, so, for an Andalusian, quite large. The male was so polite to bid them good day, although Leilan figured his tone was more of an "I wasn't expecting you to show up today and I have other business to mind"-one; but he didn't care.

As he had the opportunity, he spoke first. "It is indeed a very good day, sir." he began. While keeping his distance (out of biting range) he added. "But we are not in need. We've come to provide you with a bit of information." he said - without really saying anything, he implied just that they didn't want or need anything from the grey. He was quite happy to be in Ischia, thank you very much. But he left out the rest, so that Trekori could do the more proper introductions.

@[Trekori]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    The time passed comfortably and quickly until a dappled stallion appeared working his way from the thickets of Loess. My shoulders twitch and I stand a little straighter upon seeing his height, though I don’t feel threatened by any means - the dappled man’s disposure is admittedly lax if he is who I think he is. We all stand at nearly exactly the same height in the end, but with my glowing horn swinging even further above, I can’t help but to feel like we have the upper hand here.

The nameless Andalusian asks what we may need, and as the bond Leilan and I are slowly building tells me to, I stay quiet for my uncle to speak his part. My ears flick attentively to his low spoken words, impressed with how polite and diplomatic he can be when it’s demanded of him; a trick that Nihlus never seemed to have pinned down. Well, with that in mind, let’s knock that 3/4 down to 1/2; I rather like Leilan. But now isn’t the time to focus on our budding friendship.

Shifting my amethyst eyes to the Loessian as silence comes over the group, I wait another second before speaking; exerting our dominance, I suppose, though such subtle nuances may be missed or scoffed at by those less perceptive. Let them scoff, I say. “My name is Trekori and this is Leilan. We hail from Ischia. Our diplomatically appointed king has sent us to inform Loess of this peaceful change in leadership. Brennen now leads the reformed Brotherhood of Old.”

“Tell me, where can we find the regents of Loess - Heda or Castile? Queen Lepis may wish to know too, if you’d be so kind as to summon them for us, sir.” I eye the stallion curiously, settling into a hip and awaiting his call for the said representatives. Call it forcing his hand - err, hoof - but if he cannot call them, then he will have to explain some of how Loess has changed in the past weeks - information that we are absolutely interested in.

@[Arthas] phone post Smile
    Despayr
    The only benefit of her shifting powers on land, was her sensitive sound receptors.  The slightest of noises entered her sensory nods to give her a near perfect view of her surroundings.  Very little happened without her knowing. 

Much of her days were spent meadering about the kingdom with her thoughts.  The ruler had asked of her a simple task and yet she frets over it.  What if the child does not satisfy him? Will she be banished or worse, killed for her failure? The uncertainty worried her but not complying may have a more concrete outcome...

Her step is light and as she curls around a protuding stone formation, she can sense visitors.  The immediate feeling is not one of a threat, so she does not quicken her stride.  Blackish ears perk forwards at conversation being had between the young diplomats.  It isn't long before a familiar presence comes forward to meet the duo.  Questioning their intentions first and foremost.  A grin finds her lips as soon they are within view...

Quietly, she is coming up behind her king.  Finding her place behind him and placing her muzzle at his hip.  "Is everything alright My King?" her voice carries loud enough, that the pair would know the ones they request to see no longer rule here.  Water and earth eyes look to only the dappled grey stallion...
    This Is What They Came For
    Arthas
    The roan is the first to talk, and he notifies Arthas that they are in fact her to inform him. He instantly cocks his head, he is truly intrigued now. What information does this pair have for Arthas? Although the roan does not further explain, he falls silent and allows the paint to finish the talking.

The paint takes a few moments to speak, he stares as though he is royalty himself. Arthas is instantly turned off by the stallion and quickly growing annoyed with the pairs presence. He offers both there names and announces the two are in fact from Ischia. He notes that they came to to inform him there has been a shift in rulers in Ischia and an equine name Brennen is now in charge. But it is what they say next that draws his attention, a brotherhood? Was this Brennen from Arthas' time? The tundra had a brotherhood and he grows curious to the land of Ischia, was there a kingdom similar to the Amazons as well?

Arthas remains silent, allowing the golden paint to continue on, He asks to speak to a list of equines, although little did Trekori know, they no longer reside here. Perfectly timed Despayr approaches, Is everything alright my king she announces finding herself a spot behind him. Her gentle touch on his hip, a smile grows on his maw as his gaze finds her and a small nod in response. He flicks back to the two stallions It is my pleasure to introduce myself, Arthas, King of Loess. It was also a peaceful shift in rulers here in Loess, the equines you listed no longer live here. Well Lepis technically did, but she was off in Sylva being a spy for Arthas. A secret he could not confide in these strangers. I have now gained the knowledge of Brennen, is there anything else you seek to discuss? If it was just notifying him of the change in rulers it appears that there meeting is now completed. If the two were looking for more information on Loess they would be deeply disappointed.

@[Trekori]@[Leilan]@[Despayr]

The roan-and-gold stallion flicks his ear towards Trekori - boldly asking to see the regents in this male's stead, although he is the one who had responded to their call for a leader. He'd chuckle if the situation hadn't silently grown a little tense, and instead turns his eyes towards the grey Andalusian male.

The latter seems at the very least a little interested, enough to spark a mischievous idea in the trickster. Oh, Brennen, perhaps you should have sent someone... more diplomatic. But then again, maybe those of softer words would not make it out of here safely either.
    A blue roan mare, with large spots of white approaches. She asks if everything is all right, 'my king'. Leilan hardly takes the trouble to hide his snort, although it is still a soft one. It is clear to him then that the male must have overthrown Lepis - honestly that could not have been hard, the girl was a yearling, so exactly at the right time to be influenced by another. He does wonder silently why the regents hadn't interfered - it's not as if the girl would have the power to give away or give up her kingdom on her own.

But perhaps they just hadn't been informed. And now they were gone - fled, most likely, like Jesper who'd fled Sylva with his Carnage sister. He knows the situation now, and it's enough to return with to Brennen for a report. No alliances here today.

But there is in fact something else he has to say. He really just can't help it.

"King, huh? Such a boring title to a boring job. What's so interesting about Loess that you'd want to spend your day recruiting, guarding, and ruling for it? Pah! It's such an ungrateful task. You could spend your days with us, grow strong, have a family to stand up for you, to do whatever you want and always have backup! I'd rather be a subject of Ischia instead of King of any land, any time. Hey, you know Arthas, you should think of it. You're always welcome to come by and inquire." He grins his most invitingly smile, then turns to the mare. "You seem to have the spice to be a female brother, as well. Why bother with your own kingdom? Power is such an overrated thing." he charms, almost, instead of jesting. Oh, he knows they'll probably don't like it. But hey, being the ruler really is the most ungrateful task in the world, and as the grey seemed a little interested in what they had to say, although perhaps not enough to become a member in fact, well, let's just say he found an opportunity.

Although he tenses his back legs a little to make ready to run or fight, just in case.

@[Trekori]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Trekori

i'm freezing, it's not winter yet
    but my fingers and toes
    are shivering beneath these sheets
    and i feel so alone
    i don't want to die, i want to sleep

A woman comes up just as I'm finishing speaking, and though I lower my head to her respectfully, I don't pay her much mind otherwise. She's a groupie it would seem, not having much to add to the scene at hand besides the curves of her blue roan body, and the words she simpers to her supposed king. Ah, well, kings will have their groupies - I'm just proud to say that Brennen has Galilee, and that's all.

Arthas speaks then, reaffirming what the mare had murmured, that yes, he is king. I flick an ear at his the equines you listed no longer live here. "Seems convenient that the whole hierarchy would just disappear and make way for Your Highness," I counter dryly, propping up a brow. "Should we hear news of where these equines I have listed are, and what they are doing there, it shall surely reflect on how you've decided to answer me."

Though my words are scathing, I have to fight not to cringe or laugh at what my uncle spews out next. What a firecracker! My face remains impassive, though at some points, my mouth twitches. I cover it with a flick of my tail and a shudder of my ribs, as if annoyed by a fly. And really, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to call my uncle a pest.

When Leilan finally shuts his gob, I momentarily debate whether to deescalate, or to lean into the skid. Deciding to sort of do both, I chime in with: "Leilan has a point. From what I understand, your kingdom hasn't much of a backbone; why not come be a part of something great, with us? The Brotherhood is about loyalty, union. We could extend that to you, too."

But I know that I speak in vain, for a title such as king is one so very easy to become attached to, even if it is weightless. I take a step back, signalling our departure, and offer a final phrase. "However, I hope you find what it is you're looking for, here in Loess. We shall inform Brennen of the change in leadership. Until next we meet." Lowering my head very slightly, I take one more step back and turn, beginning the trek back home.

Just as we come out of hearing distance, guffaws echo around us as we mimic each other, and as our shoulders bump and our ribs shake with laughter, I decide that I really don't mind my uncle. No, not at all.

Arthas

Arthas eyes shift to the winged tobiano, he quickly grows annoyed with the tone he carries when speaking. He questions Arthas, where the equines he asked about earlier lived now. And how he so easily took the thrown, although it was details they wanted he would not be so easy to give them up. It was none of there business and honestly at this point he was ready to chase them off. Coming into Loess demanding answers like they have any ties. Trekori was it? I have no idea where those equines ran off to. When was the last time you saw them? From all the time I was here I had never seen them. Cowards, remaining silent with the power of a kingdom.

Arthas had the pleasure of meeting Castile, whom still lingers but it was none of there business. He was bewildered at the idea that Lepis was Queen but her mother truly ruled the kingdom. What was the point in giving her the title if only to dangle it and rule around her? He knew exactly where Lepis was, although that was his little secret. He had full intentions on bringing her back to Loess and of course he had other intentions for her. A beautiful young filly, one with great diplomatic skills even for her short time in the Queen position. If you wish to know any further information of my position you can send your King, I do not feel the need further entertain his minions. He snorts, his annoyance with the pair was apparent.

His eyes flick to the roan who goes rampant, spewing on how Arthas should leave Loess. How he should join there 'brotherhood' and going as far as to extend an offer to Despayr. He could not help but burst out laughing, what a silly stallion. The position of king was not for everyone, some preferred to be followers, but that was not Arthas. He was not one to remain quiet, he never did well without the position of power. He wanted to be able to call the shots.

Before he could speak the winged stallion pipes in, though his words change the tone of the conversation. your kingdom hasn't much of a backbone the words pass his lips and a grin grows on Arthas mouth. Was it an enemy they were seeking to create with Loess? Interesting pair the king chose to send, his ears lower slightly and he patiently awaits the stag to quiet blabbering. If you ever wanted to find out the truth of my kingdoms strength, come back with a true threat. Perhaps than I will show you the power that we hold. He snorts, he would not entertain this stallions low blows, his eager attempts to gain a reaction from Arthas.

The stallion gives departing words and Arthas' head remains high, he offers no further words to the pair. The roan was alright, perhaps a novice to this type of meeting, although the palomino ensured that there kingdom was an enemy of Loess. Any smart king would not send disrespectful subjects to speak to another kingdoms ruler. If he wanted to find out information of the kingdom he should have sought it out from those who ran, or perhaps looked for chatter in the common lands.

@[Leilan] @[Trekori]