• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

she learned a lesson back there in the flames; any

Not from me, I hope, he says, and she smiles. He didn’t intend it to be humorous, she knows, and she wonders what his life is like. He seems kind enough, and she envies it. She’s seen too many filthy prisons to be kind. Lost too much.
    Hollow things are not kind.
    “From strangers,” she says, a workaround answer. She doesn’t fear this man, not in this moment, but she lives in a generalized, constant state of vigilance. She has learned that lesson, learned it the hard way.
    (No level of protection would have saved her from the dark god, she tells herself, but it might have saved her from other things.)

He asks what brought her here, and she aches. It’s a common question, small talk, asked with a smile and she knows she should smile back, play the game, and she tries for a moment and finds she can’t. Oh well.
    “I lived here,” she says, “it was one of my first homes.”
    It was where she first met Spyndle, here – in the meadow, years or decades ago, when she was fresh from His lair, when she couldn’t stop running. It was here they raised their children (and lost one, her daughter kidnapped, ripped from her helpless grasp).
    Love and loss and on and on. She always ends up back here.
    “What about you, Leilan?” she asks, “what’s brought you here?”

c o r d i s
    I’ll touch you all and make damn sure
    that no one touches me

Messages In This Thread
    RE: she learned a lesson back there in the flames; any - by Cordis - 06-02-2018, 01:57 PM