• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

You’re dripping like a saturated sunrise, anyone
    She had not expected Hyaline to be, well, beautiful. The woodlands that covered the mountainside were ablaze with the colors of autumn, and there was a rejuvenating crispness to the air. When the breeze shifted and tangled in her mane and swept into her lungs it felt like it went straight to her blood and bones. She could feel her heart doing the strange flutter it did when she felt happy. It was something she hasn’t felt since arriving at Beqanna. It frightened her. Even though most of her memories of her old home had been drowned in the sea that washed her here, she cannot recall ever feeling happy. It was almost an instinct to her that this fleeting happiness should be served as a warning.

Still, she was grateful that she had followed Kagerus here. The painted mare didn’t have to try very hard to convince Briseis to give Hyaline a try. She had grown tired of her lonesome nights and drifting days, and she could only hope that being here she would perhaps find some sense of purpose. It seemed to her that everyone she met in Beqanna had something, be that a peculiar trait that set them apart, or a land or another soul they were devoted to. They had their histories and their legends. And then there was her - simple, plain, even boring. She doesn’t have family here, no one to fall back on. She has been utterly alone in every sense of the word.

On top of a hillside she stops, surveying the strangers that mill about below. The low afternoon sun glints off the surface of the lake, and the glittery light catches her attention. But instead of moving towards it she remains where she is, a sudden case of nerves and stage fright over coming her. In her old home it was never a good idea to waltz into someone else’s herd land without being properly invited, and without Kagerus nearby to reassure that she was indeed welcome here, she remains frozen on the spot.

briseis.
    you’re ripped at every edge but you’re a masterpiece

My disclaimer to all: I only can post from my phone and never have any privacy to post at home, so typically I do short and fast posts at work. Sorry for any typos and lack of creativity.
    the secret of our world is written in the stars
    The crisp, cool air shifts the long and swaying branches of his willow across his milk and honey back, brittle against his skin from the lack of rain and warmth. Tendrils of ivory and contrasting blue gently brush against his face and neck, tangled together with a single red and black feather, as well as a vibrant cornflower from the wildflowers of the meadow that Kagerus had brought him. He is sure that she had meant to gesture to be a joke, but he accepted it with a dashing smile and has made sure it remained, even though soon it would crumble and fall from his mane from where she had placed it.

The sun still shines beautifully - the wind has scrubbed the sky clear from any clouds, leaving nothing but golden light to filter through the willow, playing patterns across the ground beneath. Even without the warmth and rain from summer, Hyaline still continues to flourish despite the slow crawl of snow beginning to make its way down the mountains that surround the plentiful valley. The wind shifts again, pulling the branches of his willow just so, parting before him for the most fleeting of moments, allowing the cerulean of his eyes to catch the glimpse of something dark and unfamiliar upon the hillside before him - something looking towards the lake he frequents.

Svedka snorts softly, lifting his head slightly and turning his ears forward in interest. The wind has already released the branches and hide the figure from his view again, but in the next moment he is pushing himself through the long vines and into the dazzling sunlight. The figure on the hillside is dark against the green-gold of the valley’s grasses and the many white boulders and rocks that surround it, but as the stallion trots casually forward, he comes to realize quickly that it is in fact a horse. He smiles then, electric and contagious, before offering the stranger a neigh in greeting even though he is still a distance away.

He comes to stand before her, halting his movement with a gentle snort releasing from his alabaster nostrils, his wild and curious eyes glancing over her swiftly. “Hello, I’m Svedka,” he begins, his voice deep yet incredibly light, still smiling. “You’ve made it to Hyaline, stranger. Though I hope you do not remain a stranger for long.”
    (be my escape)
    Svedka

kagerus
    and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times
    The oncoming sunset holds much promise I decide as I gaze upon it serenely. I'm near the border of Hyaline, having come fresh from the river, the smell of dreams on my coat (though I sport no additions to myself this day). A minute passes as I stare at the clouds that are just beginning to turn golden, wishing for the colours to burst forth immediately - but if we could have beauty at our fingertips, our hands would reach elsewhere, wouldn't they?

The breeze causes the flower I have dangling carefully between my lips, and this movement reminds me of what my purpose is here and now - it's not sunset watching, though I wish it could be. Tearing my nutmeg eyes away from the gorgeous sky, I head inland, following the curves of Hyaline's surface with a well practiced ease. I scan the area for any sign of the man I seek, hoping that the flower I hold won't wilt before I get to him.

As I reach the top of a particular hill, my eyes catch on a black figure - not Svedka, but someone else of equal interest. A smile splits my lips and I have to fumble to keep the flower in my mouth, but as I regain my composure, I canter down my hill and then back up the one that Briseis has momentarily claimed as her own.

Just as I'm coming up the crest, I notice that someone has beat me to the chase - the exact someone I'd been seeking! Whinnying (though it sounds quite ridiculous around the obstruction), I trot to close the distance between us. I toss my head eagerly, shaking the little orange bulb as if to say look! When the stallion has seen it, I step forward and nestle it into his mane, lower than the cornflower that I'd brought him a few days prior. "For the apple this morning," I explain, eyeing him pointedly; though there'd been no trace of him this morning when I awoke, there was no other explanation for the golden apple resting picture-perfect at my hooves. "It's a panther lily," I finish, hoping that he'll like it.

"But there is a prettier flower still among us today," I gush, and then immediately cringe - that is probably the cheesiest thing I've ever said. I blame Svedka's presence. He's far too cheery for people like me, it's character-ruining! The cringe seems to relay this dead-inside-for-being-corny emotion well enough, so I move on. Stepping forward, I pivot to stand next to the black mustang, smiling from her to the Heart of Hyaline. "Svedka, this is Briseis. I met her in the field earlier this week."

Introductions aside, I focus my attention on the pretty, if plain, little mare. "How were your travels? I hope the peaks of Hyaline were not too elusive for you."
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    She’s elusive - even though white and elusive don’t often match so well. But at the scent and later, sight of a new visitor, the Ambassador cannot remain in hiding. She steps forward, out of the trees to go and greet her - then suddenly she sees her fellow mountaindwellers, Svedka’s gold-and-white running happily forward to greet the dark mare, Kagerus’ spotted bay body following. She seems to carry a gift for the man, and Ilma stops dead in her tracks. Her eyes have a hollow gleam to it but the others are too far away to see; halfway through the grass that separates the treeline from said hilltop and the lake also, she’s just staring. For once not offering a warm welcome whinny, she feels she is too much. A third wheel. Or a fifth. She half-expects Solace to sweep down, as if all of them already knew that the mare was coming and she was not informed.

She knows the thought is ridiculous, and she tells herself so. Kagerus is her friend. She was there for her when she returned from the lake, knowing she would have to. But to meet with the cheery Svedka again- he cannot help it but his male body may emit too much of a male scent for Ilma right now- she feels not ready to be cheerful.

So, she remains to watch them. She wonders why Kag is bringing the sun-and-cloud male flowers, and regrets not catching up on what may or may not be going on.
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    She is not alone for long. Emerging from the draped branches of a willow tree she sees a stallion, milk and honey colored with streaks of blue in his white mane. And a flower, for good measure. Briseis is still new to Beqanna, and so she isn’t sure if the flower was some sort of magic item or if it was a real flower. There were still many mysteries about this land, but at least she was now able to overlook the unnatural colored streaks in his mane, where before she wouldn’t have been able to. She doesn’t have much of a chance to wonder about anything else, because before she realizes it, he is standing before her, beaming and jovial.

It should have put her at ease, but as with most wild things, Briseis is unsure of anything and anyone that was new. She does not step back, but her muscles become taut like springs ready to uncoil, and her weight shifts towards her hindquarters. ”Hello,” she greets him, and her voice comes out meeker than she would have liked. Her several months of solitude have not served her well. Even though she knows the stallion before her likely will bring no harm, she cannot stop the alarm bells from sounding.

Before she is forced to figure out how to continue this conversation, which would surely turn awkward since she has a knack for making every encounter awkward, she sees Kagerus. Almost immediately she relaxes, just as she did in the field. They hardly know each other, but she was the closest thing Briseis has to a familiar face in this entire land. The black-horned mare seems very familiar with the stallion, and her previous question on whether the flowers were real or magic are answered as Kagerus deftly threads another flower into the stallions mane.

A tinge of heat rises to her cheeks at the very idea of her being considered pretty in the way a flower was. Briseis was indeed beautiful in her own way, but she certainly didn’t think so. Not in the way these sparkling, vibrant, winged, and horned creatures of Beqanna were. Thankfully Kagerus quickly eases them into introductions, and she offers the stallion a small but sincere smile. ”Nice to meet you, Svedka. Your flower is lovely,” there is the faintest glimmer of mirth in her almost black eyes, and this is probably the closest Briseis has ever been to making a joke.

”Nothing that I haven’t gotten used to from being in the outlands for so long,” she says in response to Kagerus’ question of her travels. There was a reason that her muscles were so hardened, her mane so tangled and her coat so riddled with scars and debris. ”How long have the two of you lived here?” She directs the question to both of them, slowly beginning to relax in what was possibly her new home, not at all aware of the white mare that observed in the distance.

briseis.
    It does not surprise him when Kagerus comes to join them. The auburn and ivory mare’s figure is familiar as he turns to the approaching hoofsteps behind him, a soft whicker of greeting offered to her as she comes closer. He quickly notices the vibrant flower between her teeth, and the man’s cerulean gaze warms as another smile flutters across his pale lips, a knowing look on his handsome face. She is in a wonderful mood (he has not seen her in any other kind since their first meeting beneath the willow, and he is glad that whatever had been ailing her is now gone from her eyes), carefully placing the orange bulb into the tangled mess of his blue and alabaster mane. He even curves his neck a bit for her, dazzled by yet another display of good faith between them both, grinning at the ebony mare with sparkling eyes as Kagerus’ finishes. Svedka tosses his head slightly for good measure, his mane now adorned with the hawk feathers, the cornflower, and now the panther lily. He chuckles deeply, his nose wrinkling playfully at the newcomer as Kagerus’ words find his ears.

“Yes,” he agrees, his voice light and steady as his gaze continues to keep on the dark mare before them, a small laugh leaving his throat at the realization that Kagerus did not expect herself to ever say such a thing. Kagerus then moves to stand beside her, and though his ear trains on his friend as she gives them both introductions, his eyes remain on Briseis. The woman compliments the newest flower to his mane, and he bobs his head in response. “Thank you, Briseis. Kagerus always finds the most unique and beautiful ones.” His eyes glimmer as another smile pulls at his lips, a single brow curiously lifting as he did so, knowing full well that he was not speaking of the flowers any longer.

Ilma - the sweet and flawless angel that in the back of his mind he realizes he had not seen in many days - remains hidden from the group. Had the stallion caught sight of her, or even her scent, he would not have hesitated to bring her towards them, or even dismiss himself from the newest visitor to greet his friend. Perhaps the way Kagerus positions herself now - facing Hyaline instead of away from it, like Svedka currently is - she would spy the brilliant white of Ilma’s body, and voice something about it to Svedka, so that he may do what he does best - care for his dearest friends.

The newcomer is still a bit nervous and unsure (Svedka always wonders as to why they are, since those feelings are completely foreign to him), but he makes sure to that his expressions are that of understanding. He knows that his life has so far been a blessed one, and is not silly enough to expect that everyone else will be as trusting and comfortable as he is. “I have lived in Beqanna my entire life, Briseis. I think perhaps I would be living somewhere else by now, but my sister” (his gaze glances to Kagerus for a moment) “is who keeps me here in Hyaline. I’ve been here with her for a few years now.” His bright blue eyes are back on Briseis. Solace keeps him grounded. “What of you?”
    (be my escape)
    Svedka

kagerus
    and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times
    A wonderful mood... Were I to know that that's how Svedka labels me now, as I stand smiling and spewing corny nonsense, I'd probably take my flowers back and go off in a self-righteous huff! I am still the dark, mysterious woman who half seduced, half confused the poor man - or at least, that's what I tell myself. I've been hearing less and less of that little voice in my head that calls me a worthless whore, and I would even go so far as to say that I've been... happy. With Solace, I am happy - and more often than not, her side is where you can find me.

Such foolish, idle thoughts are banished from my mind as my eyes happen across her. It's as Briseis is greeting Svedka and complimenting his flower that the white gleam of her pelt catches my gaze from my new position - and writ on her face clearly to see are emotions that, though I cannot wholly predict, give me a sick feeling to my stomach. My face loses its happy expression, and as our eyes meet, I shake my head. There's nothing going on between me and Svedka.

I blink back up to that same stallion as he is using my line to be a trampoline for one of his own, and smile with a bit of a forced laugh - only a bit, not enough to draw attention to myself, nor hopefully to Ilma. I was the one who peeled her out of the lake and into safety; I am in no position to force any attention upon the woman that she doesn't choose to present herself to. As I'm thinking this, I realize just how strong Svedka smells of maleness; no wonder she stays far.

I return to the conversation fluidly now, nodding at Briseis' explanation of her travels in the outlands. Another word for the Beyond, I suppose; but not the same as Elsewhere. "Beqanna is far easier to navigate than the outlands, or so I've heard." My eyes flick to go over the many scars the litter the mustang's muscled and worn body, markings that tell the truth of her tale for her. "But there may be more scars to collect here than there were out there," I add as a quiet afterthought.

She asks about how long we've been here, and before I can decide if here means Beqanna or Hyaline, Svedka answers the questions. I do not miss the way his eyes flash to mine at the mention of his sister's name, and I am uncomfortably reminded of the time I'd told him that she and I were lovers... The words we're so much more than that now get stuck to my tongue as I stare at her look alike, but with so much going on - Briseis, Ilma - it's truly not the time.

Clearing my throat, I turn to the little black mare. "I was born in Beqanna, but I spent a number of years in the Beyond - or the outlands, as you call them. When I returned, Hyaline welcomed me... But in truth, it is also Solace who keeps me here," I pause momentarily, not knowing whether to elaborate on that statement with the nature of our relationship. "Or at least, my heart is dedicated to her, and hers to Hyaline - so, by extension, mine, too."

Svedka asks her if she's been here before, and though I feel that I may know the answer, I perk my ears to listen, whilst interjecting a question of my own, too. "And though it is early to ask, I feel that I must as Protector of Hyaline: would you be interested in the peace or war caste, or residency? All are valid choices."

@[Ilma] @[Briseis] not sure who's going to go next?
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Ilma

The white mare is conflicted.
    On one hand, she is hurt by the lack of interest the other horses show - she's not yet been seen, yet she's an almost-spotless fleck of white in a reddish autumn surrounding - the lush green grass and red leaves upon it should make her stand out, and yet, she's not looked at once.

No wait, just once. It's Kagerus who spots her, and softly shakes her head. Now, that could mean a hundred things however - no, don't come near - no, don't worry - no, nothing going on or - no, she's not staying. Ilma flicks her ears. It won't do to just stand here, but she also knows no way to interrupt the conversation now.

Oh, but, on the other hand, since we were talking about how she was conflicted; she dóes want to join. To forget. To live on. To pretend that what the black dun stallion had done to her - used her - did not make such an impact that she cannot move again. But apparently, she still doesn't move. Not for a long time, she doesn't. Ilma has come to a standstill, and is actually happy that her little shadow star is in Nerine, surrounded by females who will teach her how to defend herself. Because clearly, Ilma cannot teach her any of that. She's painfully aware of that fact.

She glances back to the group, realizing she had turned her head northwards. The conversation is distant enough that she can only make out the body language; the newcoming black mare a bit nervous but also determined, and more relaxed now that Kage has joined her - it's no secret that the spotted mare visits the field and meadows often, still recruiting; a job Ilma should have taken on herself to be honest. She's glad that Kagerus covers for her, but it is not as it should be. Nothing is as it should be - she should be able to talk to Svedka, no more or less than before, for one. But she finds that his being a male is a disadvantage to him, and perhaps this will continue to be the case for the whole winter.

Since she cannot pick up the words, however, she scolds herself. It's no use like this. She moves; but not in the direction of the group - instead she heads towards the lake, as if she was just walking there and hadn't stopped to stare for what perhaps felt as the second-longest time for her. Because yeah, you're right, the longest time ever, had been sometime recent enough for her to compare.
    don't let the fear of falling keep you from flying

@[Briseis] Sorry if she's a moodkill guys ^^ Come pretend nothing is happening with her please xD
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    She is not use to strangers being so kind and accommodating. It was a little overwhelming, if only because she was now putting pressure on herself. What if they were being so welcoming because they expected something of her? What if they thought she was smarter, stronger, and braver than she really was, and that's why she had been invited here? She had never lived in what they refer to as a "kingdom" - surely with it being called that, there must be a King or Queen. She did not understand rankings or positions, and she worried she would not be enough for this place.

She is distracted from her internal dialogue of self-doubt by Svedka’s voice, and immediately she is drawn back to the present. She does not catch whatever he may be hinting at in his undertones, in that there were other things beautiful and unique like the flowers. The lonesome black mare is not up to par on picking up social cues, and so she only waits to comment once they have both said their piece on their time here. Her dark brown eyes flick to Svedka at his question, and she thinks for a moment before saying, ”I don’t remember getting here, but I haven’t been here long. Maybe a few months. I’ve spent most of my time alone, trying to figure everything out. “ Her gaze lingers on his streaks of blue mane, and then turn to Kagerus’ black horn, before adding somewhat laughingly, ”There were things here that took some getting used to. Beqanna is truly unlike anything I have ever seen. “

Kagerus asks her of castes, and she pauses, mulling the question over. ”I’m not sure what I’m good at, honestly. If I could just be a resident for now, I think that would be best.” And then from the corner of her eye she sees a flash of white. Her eyes focus on the stark white mare that seemed to be retreating, and she nods her head to gesture for her companions to look as well. ”Who is that?” There is nothing accusatory about her tone, she was simply curious.

briseis.
    The outlands. The Beyond.

Or as Svedka dreams of it - the Forever.

The idea stirs something within him - something that has long been resting dormant in the billowing confines of his mind. An urge, an instinct, set deep within his bones and his very soul; to wander, to explore, to have his only home be himself and wherever he decides to lay his head. The views, the adventure, the unknown...it calls to him as it once did when he was just a yearling or a bit older, where he had ventured with his mother and father to the land of his ancestors. He had returned after a few winters - a man now, with the muscles and stature to prove it - and found himself in Hyaline, where his twin sister had taken the helm as caretaker instead of Amet. He had stayed out of curiosity (and because it would make Solace happy), and now suddenly realizes that he had not ever intended on creating a home out of the valley and its lake; but here he is.The milk-and-honey stallion shifts his weight, his eyes unfocused as Kagerus’ voice fills his head, tuning out the sound until he realizes that he has been silent for far too long.

‘...it is also Solace who keeps me here.’

The sound of his sister’s name jolts him from the daydream he had been pondering, and his cerulean gaze shifts quizzically to Kagerus’ for a moment. The woman is sure to be expecting the normal ‘lazy’ and simpering smile at her admission of her staying in Hyaline for the same reason as him, but she is met with a clear expression of expectancy, waiting for her to continue. He had missed part of the conversation - not enough to have it be noticable, but enough to where he truly had nothing to say just yet. Svedka fully processes her next sentence however, and the look she had been expecting now appears - his face relaxes as his smirk becomes all encompassing, mischief sparkling in his ocean blue eyes. He says nothing, but the look would surely cause a solid nip to his face or neck (of friendship, and not malice, though slightly filled with annoyance) from Kagerus, which he is unwaveringly ready for. She is lucky that his eyebrows remain pricked with curiosity, instead of wiggling knowingly.

She then dives into the political side of things that, though Svedka had no real pride for, are growing more increasingly important. Even he understood that there are such things as war and peace, and that things of ‘castes’ and ‘diplomacy’ are boring and drab, that he may at any moment have to take up arms and defend his country (his sister, his family). Briseis’ gentle and unsure gaze lingers on the streaks of blue in his mane, even though he is currently wondering if she is mesmerized by the hawk feathers twisted in the damp ivory and blue, or the flowers that hide beneath the thick veil. But it soon becomes clear that the idea of their appearance - however subtle Svedka finds his to be - are rather uncommon for her eyes. He smiles warmly at her, his silly expression that he had been giving Kagerus now fading as his eyes settle on her. She quietly assumes the role of resident for now, much like Svedka himself. But a resident is far more important than many would assume, and are merely more than citizen.

Svedka is about to comment on this, but Briseis is looking past him with a soft look of concern on her face and he does not fail to quickly turn his head over his shoulder in the same direction, curious as ever to see what has captured her attention. His bright gaze immediately finds Ilma - white and perfect and flawless beneath the golden sun - and his smile illuminates his face. He answers Briseis’ question with a loud neigh followed by a tender shout of her name: “Ilma!” His voice booms across the rocks and trees of the valley, and his neigh nearly pulls both forelegs from the ground. He had not seen the winged-angel in a long while, and his excitement is clear. He’s almost turned around now, the right side of his shoulder facing the two mares before him.  
    (be my escape)
    Svedka

@[Kagerus]