• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Baltas, any
    Baltas has always been loyal.

His first loyalty had been to his trainer and former master. Baltas had met him at the age of two, and had remained faithful for seven years. But he is also moral, and the distress at finding out his master was evil drove him away from his home and to Beqanna. He hates himself for running away instead of staying to fight, sometimes. But it's too late to do anything now, so he will just have to do his best in Beqanna.

It's somewhat intimidating, but without courage, he would not be Baltas. The only difference is that now he is the one that commands himself, not his master. So he neighs to announce his presence.
    Hyaline stands for what Baltas believes in: stands in opposition of evil. Though I do not know this as I gaze upon the alabaster-white stallion, something inside of me does twinge with curiosity and interest. He is a gorgeous figure, with the conformation of a well-bred horse that Beqanna has not seen the likes of in decades. I wonder at where he might have come from, though I have a feeling it is an Elsewhere - but one that I have never heard of, yet.

Of course, I know very well of the human world - but I've never imagined, even in my wildest dreams, that the two might mix. That there might be... Masters, and captives, and round pens and whips. No; this stallion holds a secret even I am not aware of.

But standing too long in this one spot will be the death of me, and so I step from the shadows. I have dreamt my horn away for the day, figuring that it would help me be more relatable to horses from Elsewhere, like Briseis whom I'd recently met in this very land. My mahogany and white fur glimmers faintly in the weak winter sunlight as I walk towards the neighing stallion, my hooves scrunching the shallow layer of freshly fallen snow below.

"Hello," I call to him, halting at a respectful distance and lowering my head in deference to him. For a moment, my nutmeg eyes go over his white body and wonderful conformation once more, and I beg the heavens above that maybe he'll like the idea of Hyaline, of loyally representing the good and hurt of Beqanna as I do. "My name is Kagerus, what's yours?"
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Soon, a mare - bay with some white markings - responds to his call . Baltas takes a moment to assess her before he remembers that he doesn't need to, that he hasn't come here to fight (though he will, if pushed too far). She's respectful, her greeting friendly. There is no need to appraise her as if she was an opponent.

"Nice to meet you, Kagerus. I'm Baltas." He offers a small smile and returns her nod before meeting her eyes once again. His movements are precise and controlled, his dark eyes contrasting sharply with the white of his coat and the snow beneath his hooves. "I'm looking for a new home in Beqanna. Perhaps you can help me?" 

Baltas isn't sure what to do beyond that. The humans had done most of the talking in his former home, while the horses watched and waited for their orders. But he does know how to be polite, and he does know what he wants - a new home, and a leader to follow. He can make his own decisions, of course. But surely there is someone in this land worth following, worth giving his loyalty to, worth fighting for. It's not like he can't have his own life while supporting them.
    He examines me keenly with those dark eyes, and though I am used to such attention being a well-traveled woman, I still find myself nearly nodding in approval of such watchfulness - but I don’t let the movement come to fruition, instead only settling before him. With his proffered words comes a small but kind cutting smile, the kind that leaves me feeling a little invaded, but not enough that I dislike him for it. Indeed, I rather like him more; and my own smile creeps to my lips, subtle and knowing, but also open.

”A pleasure to meet you, Baltas.” My lyrical tones sound harmonious to his as they trail after them, little tufts of vapor slipping from my lips as I speak. It’s cold, and bound to get colder; my winter coat has already begun growing in. But I do not focus on a thing as trivial as the weather, and instead tilt my head perceptively at Baltas’ straight forward question. I like the stallion immensely already.

”As a matter of fact, I can. In Beqanna, there are what we call kingdoms - hierarchies like herds, except with politics and warfare. There are six, and besides those who choose to live nomadically, everyone in Beqanna calls one of them home.”

I pause, watching to see if he understands what I am saying before continuing.

”I hail from the kingdom Hyaline - it is a mountainous region on the north-western side of Beqanna. We are Beqanna’s only light-neutral kingdom at the moment; in fact, we are a sanctuary kingdom to any who seek refuge. But the politics are getting grim, and as Hyaline’s Protector, I am in need of an army to protect all those who call her home during these trying times.”

I pause again, my smile gone, but my nutmeg eyes blazing with a hot hope. ”Do you think that that is something you can help me with, Baltas?”
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Politics... and warfare.

They're exactly what Baltas left behind when he entered Beqanna, and he'd had no wish to encounter them again. But Kagerus's small speech is so compelling that Baltas can't help but want to agree. The whole light sanctuary thing sounds great, why wouldn't he want to protect it? And even if there would be fighting... well, at least he was on the good side this time, struggling against evil.

"Of course I'll help," Baltas replies. "But... All of my training so far has been on carrying a rider into battle. I'm not sure how I would fare against more experienced horses." He desperately hopes that he can still help in some way. Because he wants to help. He wants to keep Hyaline and its horses safe.