• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Queen of Birds; Taria

The days were starting to grow a little longer, and the worst of frostbite had left the aire less crispy. For Leilan this came as a blessing, because he had spent his summer and most of the fall in Ischia, where a winter coat had not been needed - so for a few days he had been shivering (of course he did not let Arthas see this). But now he had gotten used to it, he had come to realize he had not met all Loess’ members.

Arthas had once mentioned a mare named Taria - ‘shut up and go visit sylva with Taria’ had been the exact words, as he remembered - and so the gold-and-silver-maned bay roan was wondering who she was, what she was doing here and what she was like. Perhaps she would turn out to be likable company.

One could never know until one tried, and so he set out to look for her, tracing all of Loess systematically until he caught an unknown female scent. It was a gamble, but he was fairly sure that he would remember Despayr’s, so he simply gave it a go.

Seeing someone in the distance, he nickered softly towards them, her, hopefully, in greeting.

@[Taria] I wanted him to get to know everyone currently in Loess, so I hope you don’t mind! Let me know if you need me to change anything
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Taria
    Taria was a very free spirit, she was not good at sitting around and waiting. She was even worse at being told what to do, she had little patience for equines who placed themselves higher than others when they had no rank themselves. It was winter in Loess and it was bitter, almost unbearable if you climbed the mountains. A smooth blanket covered the ground, freshly laid overnight, Tarias dark pelt stood out and she had no cover during the winter season.

She was a rather active mare, always out and about to keep herself occupied, she was nearing the border of Loess when the call of another pierced her ears. She gazes and off in the distance she could see another, a roan. She rolled her eyes and gave a sigh, was it that prisoner Arthas had? What did he want? She grows closer stopping a few paces away from the stallion. Leilan is it? she recalls from the kingdom meeting they had What do you want? her voice was testy, she was not a fan of Ischia and she did not care for this annoyance who was stalling her from her real desires of travel.

You're Not Gunna Break My Soul

@[Leilan] sorry its short and poopy

Oh, wow.

She turns out to be a black roan, or blue, if the correct term was to be used, but as long as Leilan could be described as red and bay and spotted and gold and whatever - he doesn't care. What he does care about is that her mouth is about as vile as his mother's, and most of his sisters' too, especially those who shared the colouring. Would that be it then, are they jealous of the bay colour?

Nah, he just likes to toy with his own thoughts (they keep him happy and grinning at all times) just as much as he likes to toy with others'. But she did come off very rude and short-tempered, and he wasn't here to step on everybody's toes - you'd think that, wouldn't you, but he actually is not. It's just that his constant jesting is a sign of love - okay, well, also a test.

"We haven't met before, and I wanted to get to know all the members of Loess." he shrugs. "If you were going somewhere, I'd be happy to accompany you if that is more your style. I have permission to visit Sylva as long as it's with someone else." He eyes the mare, hoping that she wasn't bound for any of the common lands, because he feels it's not a good idea to test Arthas on that. "So - let's start over. You must be Taria, I think? What's your duty here in Loess?" he wishes to know.

She's not one for smooth talking, but Leilan is all about it, and her rashness means he can't say all that he wants to say. Or ask why she ever choose to follow Arthas of all the kingdoms to choose from. But if she doesn't want to tell him, perhaps he'd best not push.

@[Taria]
    |
    Taria

She did not have time for games, and that is exactly what he seemed to be doing. His voice is gentle as if that was going to persuade her to take him to Sylva, to babysit him. Well It doesn't seem like you would leave even if I want you too. she spits a reply back to him, she has seen him. Always up Arthas' ass, as annoying as they come.

Her body is on the move again, she had to change course, she did not plan to go to Sylva in this moment. She was truly just doing a boarder patrol, ensuring the safety of the kingdom, tracking down any scents that did not belong. Visit Sylva? As long as you have a babysitter? Are you asking me to walk you over? She snorts, who does this guy think he is? If Arthas personally told her to take him to Sylva than sure, if she had to make the trip than sure, but just because he asks? HELL NO, he is a prisoner after all.

He says they should start over and she could not help but laugh You only get one first impression Leilan. Her gaze continues on the border of the kingdom, her body in a casual trot. I am Taria, but it seems you already knew that. She finally comes to a halt and her gaze turns to find his I am an apprentice for the diplomats, I find the characters who don't put up with bullshit. Although that is probably the only type of equines who would want to follow her back to Loess anyway. Not the nicest with words, but she was loyal to the kingdom. Why do you stay here? I don't see anyone else here, run back to Ischia. The better question is why haven't they come for him? He was so loyal to there kingdom but they haven't even asked about him.

@[Leilan] sorry she is a bitchhh, but she will get nicer^^

What did he do to earn her bitchiness? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything he did was wrong to her. He let's it slide, because he is here to win her over as a friend and nothing more (well okay maybe if she were hinting at it herself, but he wouldn't dare try now that she's been pricking at him with invisible knives) - but that's beside the point. Every member of Loess he's encountered so far seems to take a dislike to him without having talked to him personally so far, and he wonders it is their attitude then, maybe, and not his. Well, not just his anyway - he knows he can come off annoying - it's why he does it, to make sure that he can easily separate the nasty ones from the friendly.

But Taria... she's something in-between. Much like Arthas, at least at first glance. He hasn't spoken to the grey man in a while, he hadn't even gone up to meet with Hestia, who was the queen of his kingdom's sister. Not since their more recent fall-out. But that does not mean he cannot talk to Taria. Perhaps she is a little more open for diplomatics, because Arthas seems to be a too-high-in-the-head warrior king with the tactics of a tree trunk.

Her questions are prying, but if he is honest with himself, logical. He shrugs. "Not today if you don't have time. But next time you're planning to go, maybe I could tag along. I won't bother you as much as I would Arthas." he smiles at her - he's genuine in that. He just wants to take a look in the mysterious Sylvan kingdom if he can, and maybe find Jesper - she doesn't need to be on his back the whole time.

She doesn't get his question for starting over however, laughs at it and tells him he only made one first impression. He nods. "That I know. I'm just hoping you, as a diplomat, would know better than to fare on first impressions only." he tilts his head at her questioningly. She finds the characters who don't put up with bullshit? Does she mean herself?

If she had half the wit, she would have been able to estimate that he actually doesn't put up with bullshit either - not the real kind anyway. Silliness is him through and through, something he can appreciate in another - life is boring if you take it so serious.
    But he's not putting with the kind of bullshit that Arthas spewed lately, about Ischia being their enemy - they weren't, as far as Ischia was concerned, and they probably wouldn't even know how hostile a greeting they'd have to expect when coming here for a visit. They're secluded up that island there, in winter at least, because nobody grew a winter coat in their eternal tropics. He knows Trekori is likely to fly over here soon enough, but with Arthas brewing his own monsters in his mind, he doesn't think the painted colt will be safe, glowing horn or not."Well, neither do I. Pray tell, do you even know why Arthas thinks Ischia is out to get him? You know that's why I'm still here don't you?" He picks up his trot again to align himself with her. He wonders if she can use her brain to tell that Arthas may or may not have it all right up there, thinking Ischia is his personal enemy.

Idiot that he is.

@[Taria] Leilan's being sassy too, sorry. :/
    |
    Taria
    She was trusting of very little equines, and perhaps it was because of the death of her parents that caused her to be so unfriendly towards others. It never bothered her though, only the equines who could defend themselves to her attitude were worthy of her friendship. She may be hard to get through, but once you can call her a friend she is as loyal as they come. Exactly why she did not like Ischia, Leilan was apart of there kingdom but no one has come seeking him, no concern for his captivity.

He speaks again, his tone was different this time, she cocks her eye at him. He simply asks next time she vistis Sylva to bring him with her, she stares at him for a few breaths before responding I suppose I could do that. A hint of annoyance still lingered in her tone, what did he want with Sylva? Was he trying to spy on there kingdom while a prisoner of Loess? Interesting tactic, one that would prove worthy to Ischia.

He asks why Arthas 'thinks' Ischia is out to get him, she couldn't help but release a laugh. I take it you are a warrior, because you have no diplomatic knowledge. She scoffs, irritated at his question. Perhaps it was not his fault though, maybe he did not know of everything that happened, or even how kingdoms grow to be enemies. Ischia started it, they attempted to steal from Loess multiple times. Do you think Arthas would just sit here and let it happen? Bow down to Ischia? Your great king didn't even have the decency to speak to Arthas, to seek out the kingdom himself. She snorts, he could not be serious, did he truly not understand the anger that Loess had towards Ischia? Do you really think that Ischia seeks Loess as friends? You are a captive, so that by default makes us enemies. If Ischia' steal was successful it would be the same way. Would he understand now? You were only stolen to prove a point Leilan, Loess will not be fucked with.

@[Leilan]

Taria is a wonderful creature, he finds. Too bad she assumes so much - in a way she seems naive to him. He knows why his brothers haven’t visited. One, it’s been winter and they don’t have winter coats. Two, Jesper is in Sylva and had specifically asked no-one comes to visit for it is likely a cruel place, and Loess being allied with Sylva makes it politically tense to come here but not there. Three, Brennen has likely ordered against it since they aren’t allies and Loess apparently seems wanting to take Ischians prisoner for some reason. And Leilan would have advised against it too, being here all winter isn’t exactly fun for him, but he’s sitting his undeserved sentence out.

He prances in place a moment, simply because he’s not one to sit still all the time and make that clear to her. Heck, even staying in this one hill kingdom is trying for him. The knowledge of not being able to visit family or friends makes it even worse, and he’ll be counting days if he gets nothing better to do. Arthas said he could mock battle but had no other use for him either. But who was here to mock with? There’s only so many horses in Loess. To be honest, the grey man hasn’t even asked him questions about Ischia either, presumably just to prove to him that he really has no use for the roan and more than likely just wants him to start chewing on himself out of boredom, or something like that. Sometimes, the Andalusian is a mystery to the stocky hybrid. Or actually, most of times, which is why he’s tried to spend as much time near him as possible to the point of just-not-yet getting attacked over it, he’s certain.

Taria seems more content with his proposition to not go to Sylva today, but maybe later. Heck, he is bored, he can wait a few days or weeks for the prospect of having something to do later. She laughs at his question. Do they all think he is a silly child with no brains here in Loess? Perhaps that image saves him from being seen as too much a threat, but as he listens to Taria he gets that she has not been using her mind on the subject too much either. ”I am a warrior, but that doesn’t mean I can’t think for myself. Ever done any fact-checking on what Arthas tells you? See if you can name more that one steal attempt from Ischia to Loess, and I’ll talk to you again on the subject.” he challenges. Heck, he knows that one of his brothers (Cagney?) had wanted to steal her, and if he had succeeded maybe she would have learned about Ischia better. But that’s the only steal attempt that Leilan knows of and he really wants to know where this story of multiple steal attempts hails. It’s getting repetitive to hear the same thing over and over without any proof or explanation. But he’s not done talking to Taria, continuing to hopefully probe her into thinking for herself. His tone is sarcastic and slightly irritated by her previous answer. ”But yes, congratulations, we are probably enemies by now because Arthas wanted to ‘prove a point’. I don’t think your king is much of a diplomat himself, either. Perhaps if he had visited us like I proposed to him last time I was here in Brennen’s stead, things would have been much friendlier. Unfortunately our own new king was on another diplomatic visit and unable to come himself, but I think Loess had already settled by then so Arthas would have been able to return the favour like I asked. But he refused and here we are. Tell me, what do you even know of Ischia at all? Just the stories Arthas tells you? Because he’s never visited to see for himself, I can assure you that.”

He knows he’s bordering on getting her angry, but at least his tone is no longer mocking. Just irritated in fact, for Loess marking him and his friends the enemy when all he’s ever done is try to understand and even mend things. Yes, mend. Leilan. Crazy huh? He’d hoped on turning Arthas and Loess into his friends or at least gain a mutual understanding, but with everyone holding him off he’s not succeeding yet, even after a whole season has passed.

But he has three more, and maybe Taria can understand him better than Arthas. Who knows? At this position, he has nothing to lose anyway.

@[Taria]
    |
    Taria

She never really got along with others, but perhaps it is because her mother died at birth and she was raised by Sabe. She was probably the bitchiest mare in beqanna, at least the bitchiest she has run into, it made sense that some of it lingered in Taria. Sabe had little patience for Taria and her twin, and aside from the affection the twins showed each other they did not know what it was like. Probably another reason it was hard to Taria to make friends, she never truly knew how to interact with someone without attitude.

She took note of him prancing around her, clearly irritated that they were not moving. She rolls her eyes and with a huff she continues trailing the border of the kingdom. Her ear twitches towards Leilan as he speaks, he questions Arthas' integrity and she quickly glares at Leilan. She refrains from her comment and moves her head back, gazing at the open space before them, he goes on about Ischia only attempted to steal once. See you are wrong, perhaps only one time from Ischia to Loess, although Loess only attempted a steal one time as well, doesn't that make us equals? Her head turns to look at him again, this time a gentler gaze. Besides, Loess and Sylva are one, and they attempted steals from Sylva as well. I am sure that Ischia and Nerine work together similarly. Thought it was just an assumption.

They attempted a steal on Lepis, it was odd since she was previously a Loess member. She and Arthas were close and Taria knew the truth, that Lepis was supposed to return to Loess. Soon, very soon, the young mare would return, she was not there permanently. Arthas took it personally when they attempted to steal her as well, but she could not bring that up, a secret that not even all the kingdom members knew.

His tone has changed, he is clearly irritated but his irritation is rubbing off on Taria as well. He goes on to complain about how Loess and Ischia are most likely enemies now, and it was all Arthas fault. But it was what he says next that irritates her the most I don't think your king is much of a diplomat himself What do you know about anything? You act like you know everything! Her ears are pinned now, You keep complaining about Arthas but he only did the same thing your king did. The annoyance lingered in her tone I get it, you are loyal to Ischia and thats great, but don't come in here complaining about Arthas when he did the same thing your king did. It just so happen that Arthas was successful with his steal, and quite honestly you are being treated damn well for a prisoner. You complain a lot when it could be a lot worse for you.

@[Leilan]

Taria finally proves a thinker, although so fiercely loyal to Arthas (again he wonders what the man had done to deserve all that loyalty, besides accepting a gift from a witless yearling - anyone could do that) that it is almost painful to look at her from the radiation of said loyalty. Her glare comes when he says Arthas is probably also not a diplomat, something he'd coerced from the fact that he looked like a warrior and perhaps had not thought all of this steal through. Of all horses, he'd taken Leilan - while not royal blood of Ischia, certainly he was the son of one of the most powerful Leviathans, which immediately would put the grey man on unfriendly footing with Nerine - and it's allies, no doubt. So now there were three kingdoms (four if Hyaline was counted, he wasn't sure on their position) that were definitely not allied with Loess. Three against two, then.

But yes, she has a point. He nods to her. "He also tried for Jesper, but I guess we can overlook that. Still my question stands, through all this explanation - why Ischia? Nerine stole from you just as well, and from Sylva if I'm not mistaken. So if you're going to put yourself up as the same kingdom as Sylva, then you should treat us the same way. But we are still independent kingdoms. There's a difference between being sisters and being adjoined twins." he snorts.

Her fallout brings him to a standstill, leaning forward, ears pinned down almost threateningly while her words wash over his face. "What I see here, is an arrogant king who's only being one because some stupid little girl thought he was in love with her. And so far nothing he's done convinces me he deserves the title, and your yelling at me about it is not going to help. Now I don't know if Brennen even ordered that steal on you, but continue treating me as a child and a nitwit without giving me the information required to come to the right conclusion, and you're definitely going to experience the difference between warrior and diplomat." His lips have retreated into an angry show of teeth by now; then, he abruptly changes his course back into the hills. He'd probably better not attack her, she can't help it that Arthas has only been making a show of treating him like a toddler, but he sure as hell is done with that kind of behaviour. If they want to have a stubborn child on him, then that is exactly what they're gonna get.

@[Taria]
    |