• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus

kagerus
    and in my dreams, i kissed your lips a thousand times
    Emotionally overwhelmed as I am, I still find myself undeniably happy as spring unfolds across Hyaline's mountains. With two of the three councilwomen birthing children this spring, one of them being my mate, things have been incredibly real and fresh. More often than not I find myself at Solace's side with our children, and as they slowly wean off of her, she leaves me to watch over them while she must be away on her Queenly duties. Of course, I too must leave her occasionally for those same reasons, so it's not one way or the other necessarily: but it is emotional. This is my second attempt at motherhood, not only with my adopted children but also with my firstborn son (if you can call him that - I did not birth him after all). The faint scent of Abysm lingers in Hyaline these days, and though we have only begun to get to know each other, I am hopeful that despite the drama and the unorthodox way of obtaining it, this family will flourish under our love and care.

At dawn, Solace presses a kiss to my lips and promises to be home before dark. Wishing the twins a heartfelt goodbye, the new mother spreads her wings and leaps from the opening of our grotto into the cool Hyaline sky. The three of us watch and call goodbyes to the pegasus as she circled one last time and then headed off to whichever duty called her away today.

"Oh, don't look so sad," I said playfully to the children, grinning at Clegane's flopped ears and the way Valdis scuffled her hooves. "I'm taking you to the lake today - c'mon!"

And so, undeniably excited and still quite clumsy as next-to-newborns, the three of us made a little trip down the easy slope of the mountainside towards the center of the kingdom. Clegane's smoky figure buzzed with excitement, while his golden sister followed with a mischievous smile. They are precious children, well behaved and so like their mother that it hurts - and although they are not mine, I like to imagine that they got their overo markings from both So and I.

We spend the day splashing and lounging, with me keeping careful watch over their water-bound movements and corralling them in the shallows for the most part. Young enough to still be obedient, it will not be long before my words have no sway over their actions - and not long after will Solace's authority over them fade, too. But I cast that thought aside and instead focus on the loveliness of this spring day, on the warmth of the sun contrasted with the coolness of the waters. Perhaps Abysm pops in to play, or perhaps today he keeps his distance; coming into teenagehood, my own beautiful son is allowed to be contrary and unpredictable, especially when considering how I'd treated him when he was the twins' age.

I'm just... I'm just trying to be better.

Solace comes as the sun drops sleepily from its high point, splashing into the water with a laugh that leaves my heart swollen and happy. I kiss her gently as she comes up beside me, feeling as if the water is truly a conduit for the electrical love we sometimes share - but at the sounds of disgust from the children, we pull away from the embrace with a knowing and sheepish grin. For a short while, the four of us swap tales of our day's adventure; but before long, the warmth of the sun fades and the kids start shivering. Come, says their mother; and with a kiss to my neck and a thank you for my day spent child-sitting, the three of them make the slow and sleepy journey back up the mountain. Warmth fills me and expands my chest as I watch them go, winking coyly at Solace when she looks back and whinnies goodbye - for now. These nights, we are never apart.

Sighing gently, I turn away from the sight of them and meander down the shore, thinking quietly to myself and enjoying the silence after a long day answering curious, continuous questions. Although it is not how I expected queenship to be, I find that I love this - this motherhood, this family, this life. It hits me then that I've just spent a day in the waters that I'd once tried to drown myself in - and Solace had been there to greet me with her love, instead of pulling me out with a terror unmatched.

How things have changed - how much healthier we have all become.

I am just turning back on myself to return to our grotto as the sun kisses the horizon, wanting to share the beauty of its orange and pink light with Solace as it reflects delectably across the lake's water. This is when I catch sight of the stallion, one I'd not met but who'd been present at my coronation. An indecipherable expression crosses my features as I struggle to decide just how to feel about Smoak - Solace had told me that she'd had a crush on him long ago, and that's about the extent of my knowledge of the champagne stallion. My wife's dreams seemed to hint towards something more than a crush, but I try to squelch any jealousy I feel in my stomach. After all, how could I feel more threatened by a child hood crush than by the man who sired my wife's children?

Well, it's not logical, but there you have it.

Sighing exactly as he does, I shift my trajectory just slightly so as better to approach him; how funny, that. Still, I don't consider that he may well be trying to avoid me until it's too late, and by now, we're both knee-deep in the chilled water. Well, not exactly who I'd intended on sharing this evening with; but Solace will understand, as she does all thing.

"Hey," I offer, a neutral expression carefully hung along my facial features. The scent of her, and her children, sits undeniably along my skin. "Smoak, right? I'm Kag."

*writes a novel*
    @[Smoak]
    Also, @[Solace] @[Aeris] (Valdis) @[Clegane] and @[abysm] all got a shout out in this post lol. Enjoy
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Messages In This Thread
    WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Smoak - 05-20-2018, 08:20 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Kagerus - 05-21-2018, 05:54 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Smoak - 05-22-2018, 11:30 AM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Kagerus - 05-24-2018, 12:26 AM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Smoak - 05-27-2018, 06:57 PM
    RE: WE BOTH LOST THE WAR • Kagerus - by Kagerus - 05-29-2018, 12:47 AM