• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'm curious.
    I see all these amazing characters floating around and I am always so curious to know where everyone draws their inspiration from, so I'm finally asking. So do share, please? For example, I get a lot of my motivation from music and work.  

Jackel usually comes to me especially when I listen to The Greatest Showman soundtrack.  Even though it's supposed to be an uplifting movie I can't help but hear the words twist through a dark filter *shrug*.  Or specific songs like Inside Out by Eve 6, My Own Worst Enemy by Lit, Let Me Go Crazy on You by Heart and others.  Actually I even listen to Nelly and R. Kelly to get inspiration for Jack.  Also when I leave from work and feel dizzy from wanting to gauge someone's eyes out, but not being able to of course, I can usually write her.  

Breckin comes to me with motivational Disney princess songs usually or anything by Goo Goo Dolls, Five for Fighting, Hootie & the Blowfish, Smash Mouth, Johnny Cash...

I'm figuring Sibella out still but I've been listening to a lot of Godsmack like Voodoo, Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas, or Three Days Grace. I imagine her like Wednesday Addams.

So if you're willing, please humor me.  I'm sure there's other ways out there to find inspiration and I'd love to know! <3
    Sometimes ill base my ponies off my favorite tv show characters
    Nolin
    Sabrina|Serabi|Vita

For me, its pieces of my personality or personal experiences.

So, for example, Astarael is an over the top representation of my "mean" side. I've been told all my life that I can be mean when I want to. Especially if I dont like someone or am rubbed the wrong way. They call it mean, but I like to say I'm blunt. Anyway, I use that quick witted, sharper tongued version of myself and thus was born Astarael's personality (only far darker).

Bel is my diplomatic, well read side. Nymf is my niave, soft spirited side...or my wife side. Mos is basically the side of me that is reserved, quiet but offers more than she knows. Or feels like she is constantly proving herself.

Those are just a few examples. Smile

Oh, and quick fun fact, Hepha was originally based off of Phantom of the Opera. My favorite musical. Wink
    | Nymf | Arithmetic | Maiven | Hephaestus | Mosrael | Belgaer | Astarael | Vi | Ketzia
    @[Nicole], where do you get your inspiration for Arthas, if you don't mind me asking?

@[Andromeda], Hephaestus is probably one of my favorite characters to read. And Astarael is beautiful. Honestly it sounds like whoever calls it being mean probably can't handle the truth of what they're asking for. Also, when are we going to thread together?!
    (05-31-2018, 06:01 PM)Avion Wrote: @[Nicole], where do you get your inspiration for Arthas, if you don't mind me asking?

@[Andromeda], Hephaestus is probably one of my favorite characters to read.  And Astarael is beautiful.  Honestly it sounds like whoever calls it being mean probably can't handle the truth of what they're asking for.  Also, when are we going to thread together?!

When I created Hepha, I did not anticipate him being as popular as he has become. I thought he was going to be a side pony, someone I brought out when I got bored. But he has really developed into an interesting and wonderful guy! Ast is my wondering demon temptress and I have wonderful things in store for her. Also, Vi is a more rounded version of myself...minus the blindness and carnage torture. But she is how I would imagine myself handling that situation.

And I am always up for threading! Just tag me and I'll reply!
    | Nymf | Arithmetic | Maiven | Hephaestus | Mosrael | Belgaer | Astarael | Vi | Ketzia
    Noori is my heartbreak muse; whenever I’m feeling down, especially because of something romance related, her words flow freely and I find them to be my best writing, hands down.

Scorch writes herself.... but I would say that she’s the goofy, don’t-give-a-rats-ass, snark ball side of me that often shows. I honestly do pull inspiration for her from a real life source - I genuinely sit down and let her write her own posts. She’s a doll and she doesn’t need muse to write; she just comes out nicely whenever I ask her to.

Kagerus is much the same with the whole writing herself - but I pull a lot of inspiration from her grandmother, Kagerou, who was played by my sister Lydia who I am very close to (AND WHO IS CONSIDERING RETURNING!!!!!) my Kag has turned out to have more of a flare for drama than the original Kag. I also draw inspiration from my dreams (for pretty obvious reasons).

Nihlus is loosely based off my sex life and the character Connor in how to get away with murder.
    :)
    I get my inspiration from my less used personalities, music, movies and.... My Little Ponies(lame I know XD)

Aurora is super sweet, kind, giving, loves children (a wishful side of me)

Molotov is obnoxious, meddling, no filter (drank to much me)

Klaudius is obsessive, compulsive, family oriented ( least like me)

Kolera is free spirited, determined, tell it how it is (she's maybe most similar to my true personality)

Karat is basically Rarity XD

Kromium is my version on a super hero(knight in shining armor)

Ouija is based off horror flicks.  He was meant to be like the Boogeyman.  I still want a fear aura for him!

So my inspiration comes from all over and I have different Pandora stations for each.  It helps to go from one extreme personality to the next.  Going from Aurora to Ouija is almost too easy for me to do XD
    ~Actives~
    Kreation~Deiti~Zain
    AuroraElis~Demi
    -Semi Active-
    I honestly have no idea. I think I like to create characters that will have good stories, so I shape their personalities off of that, and then just continue molding them! And then after a bit, they start writing themselves!
    svedka - balto - warden - molech - sunlight
    olena - skandar - starlight - burdock - bluebell - ciroc - maylene
    Sabra: Closest to my true personality, while allowing for more dramatic reactions than I usually give myself. Sarcastic and ornery workaholic, while still being a hopeless romantic. I listen to a lot of Spanish club music with her (Shakira, J.Lo, Enrique Iglesias, etc). Most days, she writes herself. 

Hod: My sweet boy. He's how I like to face my own insecurities, and watch him succeed anyway. Despite physical and emotional trials, he's still sweet and kind, and loves his family beyond all else. He's who I want to be, honestly. I listen to bluegrass and folk music with him. 

Kwartz: is becoming my psycho outlet. He's how I know I could have reacted to trauma, and its interesting to play that out in a safe environment. Angsty 90s pop-rock, think Blink 182, My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, etc.

Tickaani: (I miss her), is level headed, logical, mom friend me. The one who keeps her head in a crisis and vomits behind a bush once everything is under control again. She's less polished than Sabra, less controlled. But much warmer and wound much less tightly. Mellower music for her. Owl City, Phildel, Sufjan Stevens, show tunes. 

Margaux: is sweet, honorable and I have the absolute hardest time clicking with her anymore. Her head space is pure and simple and I hardly ever feel up to that anymore. Def Disney princess music. 

Bragi: should come back soon too. He's basically my embodiment of internal conflict and what it's like to raise siblings. An adult before his time. He doesn't always react react correctly, or say the right thing. He's just used to taking care of his brother and is guilty at how relieved he was to no longer have to deal with that... 

Yes, clearly there are some deep seated emotional issues here I should continue working on :|
    I try to shape my characters based on their traits, believe it or not - especially if they're born here in Beqanna and not created (which I haven't done in a long time.)

Typically the personalities tend to be based on their family history, (what was their dam, sire, granddam, grandsire like?) and I use that and their given traits as a base to get a 'feel' for them. Some role types are harder for me to play, I don't do "dark and menacing" very well; my last truly horrible character was Wyrm and even he didn't do that much.

I feel that I click with male characters more, Circinae (Nyxa's mother) being the first female I've ever played who amounted to anything, really. Once I start to feel comfortable with the character, it's then that they start to reflect some personality traits that remind me of shows/games/books I've seen and I try to draw on that to help round them out.

Crevan: I knew when he was born that he'd be stoic and like his grandfather Lupei, and that he'd be played mostly as wolf, but after his quest to the Underneath I began to feel him change into this outwardly sarcastic, nonchalant sort of character who really has a lot of struggles to deal with underneath it all.
    - He's most like the character Bigby Wolf, from the video game series The Wolf Among Us, if you need a visual representation.
    - Music-wise I don't draw much inspiration, but every time I watch something with a lovable neutral character (Wolverine in X-men, Deadpool, etc.) I'm immediately reminded of him.

Nyxa: I was totally set on her tom-boyish attitude when she was young, since she ended up being a great mix of her dam and sire, but again after her Cryptid fairy quest she started to change and so did her personality. Her storyline ended up being something of an 'ugly duckling' sort of tale - rough around the edges and then true love and time gave her beauty and strength.
    - If she were in a tv show, she'd be a supporting role. Probably the best friend of the protagonist or something along those lines. No one character has ever reminded me of her; she's just too sweet for her own good. Maybe Jane from Pride and Prejudice?
    - Happy beach music inspires me the most for her! Anything rhythmic and smooth really gets me into the mood to write her out.

Longclaw: Ahhh when he was born I knew that I was going to transfer Lupei's trait to him, so I knew right away that he was going to be one thing as a child and then a totally other thing as an adult. His curse really made him who he was; a suave, handsome rake type character with a good heart.
    - I always imagined Longclaw as that guy you crushed relentlessly on, and then he actually is everything he's supposed to be when finally his attention turns towards you. SO good at making you feel hot and bothered, special ... just a sexy, sexy dude. He's my fantasy brought to life.
    - No music or really any character fits him, he's every dime store novel "male-leading-character" rolled into one Wink

--

At the end of the day, though, what really makes my characters pop are the other characters I play them with. Crevan would be nothing without his messed up childhood and the break-up of his family, and certainly not half as interesting without Merida around. Nyxa might as well not exist if Hod's not around (lol) and Longclaw would also be just as pointless without Femur, his little one-time herd, and Tephra.

The rest of my characters still need growth but these three are the ones who have the greatest depth to their backstories. Hope all this babble helped!
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios