• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Take Me to the Waters Edge {Ketzia}
    Kove
    Take Me to the Waters Edge

Life has been interesting so far.  I have come to find that the pair of equines shouting alongside us that first day, are indeed our parents.  It was quite obvious now that I think on it.  Ketzia is the mirror image of our mothers external semblance.  I am only partially with the lacking of speckles within my caped rump.  Paying no mind to such this, my days reel on as normal as I have come to know.  Awaking in the early morning hours to rise and stretch.  Finding my mother already prepped for the day and my sibling at her side.  A happy whicker greets them with my jaw gaping in a yawn.  A slight shake of my head and I am bounding off to their sides, 
    "Morning Mother! Morning Sister! It is going to be a beautiful day!" 

My personality is all sunshine and rainbows most every day.  Finding quickly my breakfast as Ketzia has already finished with eager anticipation of their adventures to be had.  Often the lilac speckled filly nudges me to hurry and i do so with a giggle.  Today is no different, "Ok. Ok. I'm coming..." Just as I spin to gather beside my twin, our father descends from the skies and greets us each with a gentle brush of his nose upon ours.  Always with a warning to be safe and not to run off too far.  It is I who assures him we will be, because I know I have my sister by my side.  My world starts and ends with my other half... 

Chocolate covered limbs gather under me as I dart forwards.  My cotton candy fluff flagged high in the air.  My lineage is shown by the slender physique of my body and delicate dish of my face.  If appaloosa ran thick in my veins you would never know by my form, only my markings.  The volcanic rocks below my hooves make clippity sounds as I rush over them.  Starting from a thicket within the main island, it only takes me mid-meadow to tire at such a fast pace.  The centerpiece of the land looms behind us, only the streams of molted rock remind us that it is there. 

I follow in Ketzia's wake.  She is always faster than I am and quickly takes the lead.  I follow and sometimes get distracted by trivial things.  A rare sighted flora or fluttering insect is all that it takes most days.  My lavender eyes catch sight of a leaping bug and instantly my pace slows to a exaggerated trot.  I circle round and stop within the tall grasses of the meadow.  Ears flickering to catch any clue as to where the creature went.  Lifting a single hoof, I am about to make my leave when suddenly it springs from one blade to another.  This time I see its landing.  My eyes focus on it in determination as I lower myself into the fodder.  I don't realize that my rump remaining high in the air could spoke the critter as I creep forward. 

Closer. Closer. Almost there...

My wonder stops my pursuit as I see the bug cleaning its eyeballs with one of its many prickly looking limbs. "Oh GROSS!" I exclaim, which frightens the insect into taller weeds.  My head shoots upwards, as I pivot in the direction I had been going with my sibling...  

@[Ketzia]

And if the stars aligned, would it be you and I?
    Ketzia
    Since their arrival, life had been filled with days that followed a nearly identical pattern. Their mother kept them on a tight routine, ensuring that their needs were met at they name that they were meant to be. They ate, slept and played in a steady rotation with very little deviance. Mama’s rules dictated their every waking moment, leaving very little room for much else. Kove hardly seemed to notice this, but, then again, she seemed to be completely oblivious to any form of negativity. The filly pranced her way through her existence, hardly noticing the affectionless way their mother tended them.

Ketzia noticed.

Although they had shared a womb, the two girls could not have been more different. Far more athletically built, Ketzia towered over her sister – her long legs quick in the way that they moved. Stuck in the shadow of Kove’s natural beauty, the lavender freckled mare paled in comparison. Stockier and sturdier she resembled their mother too much, a woman who boasted of being a fearless warrior.

That morning was much like the others. Ketzia awoke early, finding her way to their dam to nurse while the sun slowly rose to it’s place in the smoke-stained sky. The young filly knew her sister would not stil until the first kisses of sunlight were upon the baby soft down of her coat. Kove wakes just as Ketzia swallows her final mouthfuls of milk. Excited for the start of the day she chuckles and nudges her sister towards the source of their breakfast.

“The sooner you finish, the sooner we can play!” she reminded in hopes of speeding along her notoriously slow sister.

Impatiently Ketzia attempted to entertain herself, a momentous task for the naturally exploratory sister. Most days she sought to sate her curiosity by presented Mama with a never ending parade of questions. “Mother, why is our sky gray? What is that glowing thing over there? Why is it so hot? What are you eating? Is it good? Can I have some? Why not?”

The world was a confusing place. Today, however, Mother was rescued by the arrival of their Papa. He came from above, as he usually did, and Ketzia bursted with excitement. Unable to contain herself she bounded over to him and accepted his greeting with great enthusiasm.

Finally finished, Kove drew along side Ketzia to greet Papa and the two set off on their daily adventure. The girls never wandered too far, knowing that their parents would not approve. Mostly, they contented themselves by chasing the other around the ashy plains of their home. Although, today, Ketzia had other plans. Eagerly she spun around in time to find Kove gazing intently upon a bug. Easily fascinated it came as no surprised that the smaller filly would allow something to take up so much of her attention. It did not take long for the bug to jump forward and frighten her. Giggling Ketzia trotted over and offered a touch comfortingly upon her twin’s shoulder.

“Want to see something really fun?” she asked. “The other day, Papa told me about this place called the – the…Ocean! I want to find it!” It wasn’t a question. By now Kove happily accepted Ketzia’s role as the ring leader and the elder of the two knew that she would follow, even despite her hesitations.

Or would you bid me a celestial goodbye?

@[Kove] They are just the cutest in the world <3
    Kove

Everything was new to me and my sister and I was perfectly content on discovering EVERYTHING.  More often than not it was my elder sibling who asked the questions and I secretly absorbed each answer provided.  Tucking the info away for a rainy day, one could never be too sure when one of the answers would prove to be useful...

I feel my sisters touch along my chocolate hide just as I turn to flee where the jumpy bug has settled.  My travels don't lead off far before I am slowing with Ketzia beside me.  Adventure twinkling in her eye, she speaks of a place and I stare up at her with widened lavender orbs.  "The  O...oshean..." I attempt to repeat with gaping jaw in wonder of what it could be.  I cannot image something so grand and quickly I am nodding in agreement.  Following in tow and prancing about, "We are going to see the oshean!!" My head bobs from one side to the next... "Wait..." I stop suddenly, "How can we find it if we don't know what it looks like?" My head tilts in question but quickly I forget my own thoughts and jet forwards to catch up...

@[Ketzia]

Ketzia
    The lavender tufted filly is innocent and, somehow, vastly different than the sister with whom she had shared a womb. While the older one remained concentrated on the task, the prospect of discovering something new sent the little one into a dancing fit. Ketzia can’t help but laugh at her sister’s antics, always finding amusement in her twin’s contagious excitement. Trotting forward with a high stepped gait she easily finds an agreeable path. Papa had pointed out the general direction and she was determined to see for herself all that he had described to her.

“This way Kove!” She giggled infectiously, her Arabic genealogy on full display as she pranced forward.

Eagerness coursed through her as she carefully side-stepped boulders and tried her best to keep from trampling the innocent flora that had worked so hard to present itself to the world. It wasn’t until Kove presented her question that the elder paused. How would she know the ocean? Never having strayed too far from their mother, there was still much about their world that they had yet to discover. Every day it seemed like something new grabbed their attention and carried them home with an endless supply of questions upon their lips. Somehow, however, she suspected that the ocean was not something easily mistaken. Slowing her pace ever so slightly, the older filly, by only a few short minutes, arched her neck proudly.

“Daddy, told me what to look for.”

@[Kove] sorry this is so late!
    Kove

Where there are questions, surely there are answers.  I find them often in unexpected areas and even as Ketzia assures me the ocean is easily found by description I am both sure and unsure.  I do not question my older sibling though and happily prance about.  Nearly never in a straight line(cause what fun is that). 

I am weaving through the brittle grasses and rocky flats, neither watching my step or surroundings.  My eyes are barely open as a matter of fact.  Guiding me is only the wind in my mane and the soft patter of Ketzia nearby.  My attention only comes to when I hear my name shouted.  Instinctively I jolt forwards, spray legged and wide eyes.  I was nearly to topple over a ledge(ok, more like a sand dune on the beach).  My gaze from straight ahead angles down to see a drop at my fore-hooves edge.  Technically its not a far fall but that isn't what stuns my mind the most.  It is the blueish green mass that lay just beyond the sandy hill I have climb the top of.  My mouth slightly agape's in wonder as I watch the rolling waves crash along the rocky shores. "Wha-What is it?  Th-the oshean?"  It is a valid question to be had.  I had not heard fathers stories(probably cause I was day dreaming again).  

I wait for my sister to answer me before I inch closer to see.  The shoreline was a combination of blackened silt and pumice stone.  Lowering my nose to sniff the substance at my hooves I find its smell harsh and bitter.  Much like the air she is used to but stronger.  My muzzle wrinkles in protest before rising.  Lavender gaze stretches to the corners of its reach but all I can find is more shoreline in both directions and ocean straight ahead.  I squint at the possibility of seeing something ridged in the far distances across the sea but shrug it off as nothing.  There was an oshean to explore...

Bounding happily now, I make a turn towards where the coast heads north.  Staggering through rocks to get closer to where the water made landfall.  For once I may be leading my sister.  There is an allure about this element that tempts me closer... 

@[Ketzia] If you wanted to have Ketzia slip into the waters maybe Kove jumps in to save her and the waters part away from them...?  Kove will hesitate enough to let Ketzia be traumatized first XD

Ketzia
    Confidence is not a concept lost to the oldest of the twins. Insecurity and hesitations were not often found within the deep places of her childish mind. While her sister paved the path of uneven lines, she knew only that which ran straight. Naturally oriented towards the reaching of her goal she pressed onward, assured of the knowledge her father had shared and her own perception of it. Around her, the world was beautiful in its seemingly simplistic ways. Seeing things as plainly black or white she found that, already and despite her youth, the grey was what confused her the most. Of course, in extreme contrast to her, Kove appeared to thrive within the many differing shades of grey. Similarly shaded and yet nearly completely different, Ketzia struggled to appreciate her sister's easily distracted manner as they continued to follow along the unfamiliar path.

Behind her, Kove danced, unaware as ever, to the gradual changing of their scenery. Every lava rock they met stood as a potential friend for the daydreamer and Ketzia felt their journeys novelty slowly fading. More often than not it proved a true task to keep her sister's well-being in order.

Remembering her father's stern words with unusual clarity she also recalled his warning that the ocean was no place for two fillies to wander without the guidance of their parents. Perhaps we ought to turn back... The thought is barely finished when Kove efficiantly distracted her older sister as she shot past. Dozier by the frosted foal's antics Ketzia followed, her hooves catching upon the occasional stone.

Around them unfamiliar sounds broke through the common thrum of Tephra as the air seemed to grow thicker, somehow. Standing upon the beginnings of hill. Ash and soot were dry whereas here - moisture clung to her throat and squeezed at her lungs. It was almost difficult to breathe.

"Kove," she said her voice edging on a warning. Deaf to her sister's own voice she glanced around. When her eyes fall upon her sister, terror grips her. Starry eyed and unaware of potential danger, Kove trotted gleefully nearer to edge in a headlong chase of the shoreline.

"Kove! Ketzia called. "Wait!"

Foreboding crashing on the outline of her mind and, without much thought or explanation, she is galloping forward. Ketzia's muscles burn with anticipation as her gangly legs carry her effortlessly nearer to her clueless sister. Just as she is about to reach out to grab a mouthful of her sister's mane the ground disappears from beneath her, revealing a never ending spanse of water beneath. Heart pounding loudly in her ears there is a rushing of wind and pressure as all her insides seem to jump within her. A scream lodges in her throat, or, perhaps, it escapes its sound lost to the rush surrounding her. Longing for the anticipated contact with earth she is met by a sudden shock of cold as a fluid substance surrounded her. A thousand stings erupted along the sensitive skin of her back as an unseen force drags her farther away from the light above. Desperately her legs thrash hoping for the familiar touch of traction to steady the world around her. Opening her lungs she gasps only, instead of air, salt and water fill her lungs and nose strangling her from the inside out.

@[Kove]
    Kove

Salty wind whips through my lilac tresses as I begin my trek across the shores.  My violet eyes watching intently the rhythmic to and fro of waves.  The briny waters break on the rocky shores, sending droplets to land upon my chocolate hide.  The beads of water rinse cleanly off my coat, leaving nare a stain.  I do not notice this though.  There is a screaming of gull, at least that is what I had thought I heard.  Slowing I look towards the skies to place the coming sound.  Crashing waves along the shore drown out most of the audible noises around me.

Fully stopped, I am gazing into the azure skies.  That is strange. I am sure I heard a screeching... I scan a bit longer and upon seeing nothing of which I thought to be found, my shoulder rolls at my perplexed state.  My eyes shift again and examine the waters at my hooves a bit closer.  There was something dark lingering just under the crystalline surface.  It was of almost familiarity and as I stare at it a bit longer I gasp.  A flash of lavender catches is my eye and my head jerks upwards.  Frantically my eyes look for my sister on the land and finding myself alone, I realize that(finally) that this must be Ketzia in the ocean. 

My face scrunches in anger as I shout at my sisters captor, "You. Let. My. Sister. Go. Oshean!"  The waters churn just as they had before and I succumb to further actions.  With determination, I leap from my stance on the rocky shores.  Diving almost elegantly into the waves, my forelimbs outstretch and prepare to land in the cool embrace of the waters...

It does not come though and I find myself falling farther than anticipated.  The parting liquid allows me to sink farther below the rocky shore and I find my sister is still sinking below me as well.  I watch as the waves bubble around me and soon the oceans bottom is at my feet.  Ketzia is there too, gasping for air and I am standing above her.  It is a strange sight but my thoughts for once are focused on the task set before me. "Ketzia! Ketzia! Wake up!" I squeal at her, unknowing what else to do.  Uncertainty of how long I could hold back the effects of the waters doesn't surface, as I am unsure that I am doing anything still.  With luck my sister would revive and we could make our way back to the beach.

@[Ketzia] So i envision she gracefully jumps into the waters and it sort of parts leaving space around her like a bubble.  Ketzia sinks to the bottom and she stands over her so she is also in the air bubble.  The water is around them essentially and she wont hold it for long I am sure.  I hope the rest is self explanatory lol

Ketzia

Everything was not as it had once been. Sunlight beamed down from above, filtered though a thick veil of murky water. The newly discovered world surrounded her as her body slowly sank deeper into its embrace. Bubbles and currents grab at her fragile form, tossing her helplessly about. Deep within her middle she feels a heaviness, one that grips her and pulls her farther downward. Ketzia is utterly powerless. Her eyes sting as they strain in their search for sight and understanding. There is none willing to offer itself.

Reaching the ocean's sandy floor, all will to fight has faded from her slowly suffocating body. Filling her vision, little black dots burst like explosions around her. Her body burned as her muscles spasmed, her limbs thrashlu wildly in their fight to find air. But it is too late. She can feel her conciousness slipping and the world darkens around her...

@[Kove] Dont worry, she lives. Lol. I thought that if you wanted to throw Klaudius in to revive Ketzia, that could be good. Also, I imagine that her Iron Armor does not make her very buoyant lol

The lavender pegasus is upon the winds of Tephra already to where they had wandered when he hears the shrill cry of one of his daughters. Kove. Wait!  His wings beat faster at either side of his body, his profile twisted into dread at the turmoil he is to find.  They had never traveled this far from their nook in Tephra but he knows why they have ventured in this direction...

The ocean.

He fears the worst as he nears and now hears they demanding voice of Kove.  His ears flatten as he dips from the sky and scours the shoreline for the lilac laced girl.  Silver eyes don't take long to find the tail end of her leaping into the rough waters. "Kove!" he shouts in a gruff voice but it is too late.  With his target focused upon, he too extends his front limbs to prepare for a direct hit to the ocean surface.  The waves have already washed over the twins who are secured within a tight bubble at the bottom.

His eyes search for them and what he is to do.  Surely he could not fetch them and drag them back to land.  He had no fingers to gasp or arms to carry.  With a thud he lands on the rocky edge and lavender hooves dance nervously on the ledge.  Watching and waiting helplessly...

Suddenly and without warning there is a beam of light centered and cascading upon a spot in the waters.  His eyes focus on the strange happening and in the depths he can make out the lavender hues of his daughters beneath the surface.  Deciding he must do something, he is on the verge of diving into the brackish waters when the light begins to strengthen more intensely.  As it does the bodies of his children begin to grow clearer, as if they are surfacing somehow.

And they are.

Before long the sun's rays have become a beam of white light, guiding the children through the oceans waves and back onto the surface.  Hovering them just above and then moving them towards shore.  He sees Kove looking to him and Ketzia a lifeless form beneath her sister.  Shock befalls his face as he remains frozen in place.  The spotlight on them crawls to the shores and deposits them along the silt dunes of the land.  In an instant the light dissipates and only the children remain.  He moves now, swiftly to their side as Kove crumbles to the earth beside her sister.  "Kove! Ketzia!" He shouts in fear at what has happened to his daughters.  Lowering his muzzle he can feel Koves weak breaths and nudges at Ketzia, finding none.  With a more forceful push he presses the bridge of his nose into her in an attempt to waken her.  Suddenly their is a spatter of water and gasping for air as the amethyst spotted filly rolls over the rocks.  "Ketzia!" He shouts in happiness at the breath of life back into his child.  "It's alright Ketzia, Daddys here.  You are going to be okay," He assures her.  Hoofbeats cause his ears to twist and his head to rise. "Mos! The girls! They fell into the ocean," is all the explanation he can give as he looks to them once more.  

Soon more activity is nearing and he notes his other children have followed to where Mos has lead away from the previous gathering.  Their pace quickening as they hear distressed sounds and frantic movements.  What happened, they inquire and he offers the same answer as he had given Mosrael.  His attention shifts back to the foals, noting Ketzia moving about a tad better but Kove remains still even with encouraging nuzzles to rise.  "They need rest," he states assuming that some sort of Magic was at hand.  Krom and Karat look to each other in confusion at what was going on and just who these children were...

Klaudius
    I was lightning, before the thunder

@[Mosrael] I couldn't figure out a way for K to save them so Kove did lol.  I didn't want to keep going and let Mos react first Smile
    Mosrael
    i'm way too
    good at goodbyes

His urgency confused her, as did his words and demands that she flee Tephra. They had been safe there thus far – what would have encouraged Warrick to change his mind so rapidly? Galloping to keep pace, Mosrael kept her eyes glued to Klaudius as he flied overhead. Ever aware of their approach to the seaside, the scenery that surrounded them transformed. Browned grass melted seamlessly into an odd compilation of sand and lava rock as miniature plateaus and cliffsides carved themselves out of the previously flat landscape. The girls had never strayed quite so far in the past, playing uncomfortably close to the sea.

Mosrael’s pace faltered as her steps slowed to that of a hesitant trot. Something was amiss, she felt the tickling of panic as her heart thumped louder in chest. All around her the world was deathly quiet. Birds hesitated to sing as the usual squabbling of seagulls remained eerily vacant. No matter how far the twins had wandered she had always been able to hear their giggles and games. Now there was nothing but the whistling of the wind.

Klaudius’ frantic call broke through the straining of her thoughts. Rocketing into a gallop, she picked her path haphazardly as she bounded over sudden drops and rises that formed beneath her. They had fallen, his voice informed, and new shockwaves of terror tore through her pulsing veins. Jumping through a dune she slides to halt as her eyes fall upon them crumpled in a heap upon the rock littered beach. Helpless she inched closer, her eyes never straying from them as Klaudius tended to them. At his feet, Ketzia sputtered and flailed as water spewed from the orifices of her face. Completely oblivious to Kromium and Karat’s arrival, the appaloosa mare rushed to inspect her children. Exhausted, Kove lay seemingly lifeless with eyes closed against the sunlight. Although appearing in distress her breaths were stronger than her older sister’s own labored heaves. It didn’t make sense that one would appear perfectly dry while the other lay soaked to the bone.

“Klaudius,” she finally managed with a trembling voice, completely uncharacteristic from her normal brutish speech. Questions and emotions threatened to overwhelm her and spill forth but, instead, all she could manage was a trembled, “Thank you!”

The day she would have so readily walked away from the twins was far behind her. Over time she had grown to love them deeply – something she hadn’t realized until she’d been faced with their potential loss. Softly lowering herself between her girls, she offered them her warmth. Without the need for encouragement Ketzia maneuvered closer as Mosrael gently licked the soft curves of her youngest’s face desperately hoping to see her beautiful eyes once more.