• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Intro and Chapter 1
    I V A R
    promising everything i do not mean
    Ivar does not look away from the roan stallion, but some of the tension in his scaled figure fades after Leilan has brushes his muzzle against Ivar’s in greeting. Let the roan think that Ivar has accepted he cannot have both and will share; the kelpie is simply content in the knowledge that ‘close enough to touch’ means ‘close enough to rip a throat out’.

Such an outcome is unlikely, of course, but it is always good to have a metric of such things. Ivar pushes the limits of that as Deiti shifts closer on his opposite side. The two temptations – closer to the threat or to the reward? – are momentarily balanced, but the kelpie readjusts his weight in a way that has his sapphire hip pressed against Deiti’s for a moment. He is not aware of the stirring she experiences at his nearness, but the piebald kelpie knows a female that wants to be touched when he sees one. Who is he to deny her?

“I’m less sure than these two that you belong in the Brotherhood of Ischia.” Ivar says after the others have spoken. “Fortunately there are smaller islands near it, where you can still enjoy the tropics without swearing fealty to that band of merry-men.” Of course, Ivar hasn’t actually negotiated this with the powers-that-be of Ischia, but since they’ve not found him in the year of his residence he doesn’t expect they ever will.

The oaths demanded of the official residents of Ischia are far too restrictive for the scaled creature. Loyalty to the kingdom, chivalry, a need for consent – none of those are traits the sharp-toothed Ivar has ever found even slightly valuable.

Shaking away a tangle of dark hair that the autumn breeze has blown awry, the tobiano stallion refocuses his attention on the soft pink mare. “What’d you say I show you the better parts of Ischia, and then I turn you over to these two to make their pitch on the benefits of becoming a Kraken?” The proposal is rather generous, but that’s mostly because Ivar has no intention of carrying out the latter half of his offer. He won’t need to, he imagines, but if he does, perhaps he can convince Deiti that there are more interesting activities than joining Leilan in giving Nesta a tour of the big island.

I know my lies could not make you believe
    in my dark times, baby this is all I could be
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .