• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Hold me in this wild, wild world: ALL Ischians + Tournament Participants

Leilan
    Your beauty is beyond compare -
    oh, if I could hear but one song from you
    I shall hail thee Queen of Birds...
    Finding himself back home without a memory gnaws on him, but only shortly. He has been given a goal, and he knows Brennen awaits him near the centre of the largest island. How he knows this, he doesn't know - but he also understands that he is not supposed to understand.

It seems too easy; soon enough it turns out that indeed, it is.

Suddenly, one step is harder to take than the others before - forcing his hoof upwards, forwards, then downwards, what he sees becomes blurry and fades from view.

He sees his own parents, living in the Jungle. Mother is pregnant again, she says it must be twins again. Leilan doesn't pay attention to this fact; his sister likes to cuddle mother's belly and coo at it, but whenever she does, the silver bay roan colt sneaks up behind her. Sometimes he is able to tug her mane, or fleetingly touch her butt - more frequently, Hestoni is suddenly behind him to do the same to him. "Revenge", he always says it is, but the colt thinks it unfair. "Life is unfair", he is then told. A life lesson for those who are male among the Amazons, it seems.

Shaking his head, the now grown-up stallion gets clear of the already fleeting memory. Did he dream? No, it felt so real. That was him, but he was so little back then. The Jungle's heat is still on his skin, slightly thicker than Ischia's outer rims where is is now - the scent had been sweeter, where Ischia carries salt. But all that is just a way of changing, and he takes another, drained step.

"She says to look after her." A yearling now, Wrynn has a way of knowing things. This message comes from their mother, supposedly, and if their littlest sister wasn't lying on the ground shivering from the events that took away both his parents - being born without her twin - he would have stuck out is tongue at her or told her to do it herself. But little Vi seems so cold and lonely, and so, he knows that he will try. He still can't help but roll his eyes at his ever-knowing twin sister. She always does that, being the better of them, and he kind of hates it. Not that he hate hates it, but just enough to be bothered. He sighs then, and stays with his baby sister until Wrynn comes back with some adult. He doesn't even know or care who will feed her, to be honest. As long as she is safe.

Gasping, he stands shaking. He doesn't notice the one tear in his eye. He knows what comes next, and he's not proud of it.

"Shut up! Stupid know-it-all! You don't need me, and you can't make me stay!" Angrily, the teenage colt stamps his foot. At not yet two years of age he seems to know all that he needs to know. "If you're all so much better, then you can do it yourself!" With that, he turns, fleeing the scene. He's had falling-outs with Wrynn more often than not, and one more insult on his incapability to watch his baby sister because he was too fucking careless with her was enough. If all those mares and fillies could do it better, then so be it. Being of royal blood meant nothing to an Amazon if you weren't female.

She says something to the others. Something along the lines of 'he'll be back, let him cool down', perhaps. Well, not this time. This time, he runs as far as he can; this time, a long swim and a sudden land-bridge (pier-like in it's shape) takes him away from not only the Jungle, but all the way away from Beqanna. This time, he's gone for good.

He shakes his head. If he weren't still feeling angry as a residual effect of the vision, he'd laugh at his younger self. And even 'gone for good' had turned out to be just as true as saying the sun was cold and the moon hot. His anger slowly subsides, however. And he wonders whatever became of Wrynn. Perhaps he should be looking for her instead of be here, make up for it. But then he remembers he was supposed to go somewhere, yes, Brennen was waiting still, and he moves forward once again.

He's looking at himself now, he's splashing water, cracking jokes. His mind shifts a little - no, he's a she. And she sure likes his looks. Fluttering her eyes, she steps forward just a little to be noticed; when he catches her eye, she smiles and then turns away into a slow walk, as if she hadn't seen him gape.

He follows, of course. She's young and pretty, he's young and handsome, and autumn never looked so good on the both of them. Rubbing her nose into his chest, she can think of nothing else, no-one else, surely they will stay together after this and start a family of their own in one of the herds nearby...

Fuck, that is weird. He's glad the memory hadn't gone any further, because it would be way too weird to experience that in a female body - with himself none the less. He shudders, regaining his sense of himself, and musing over this. Out there, Beyond, she was. She'd been the first but, truth be told once he had gotten the hang of it, he'd lost track of her, or maybe he'd done it on purpose. There'd been others, too - would they all be thinking the same? Would - gasp - any of them have his kids? Suddenly he feels hot, wanting to get out and track back, away from Beqanna, to make sure they were all right. His old buddies were there too, but, the idea that he might have children he never knew of was suddenly very scary and exciting all in one. But dear good fairies, he'd been such an ass-hole leaving her there alone and going on and on to the next. He wonders if he was taking revenge on all the girls out there, for being treated as not-fully-allowed-in when he was a young Amazonian prince.

His ears catch the sound of the Ischian birds. He doesn't know what magic this is, but he realizes that if he wants to be part of a way better kind of bachelor group, this Brotherhood, he should probably hurry up a little. But one step further brings him yet another colour swirl.

Funny, this time he's still where he was just before. Yet, he knows something is different, not entirely right. "Lei-lannn..." A female voice, warm, inviting. He catches a movement against the forest green, but he can't see it well. He knows who it is though. He tries to move, but he cannot follow, tries to say something, finds he can't do that either. Stuck in his place, he is only able to move his eyes and ears, catch what she is saying. "Why don't you come with me? I just don't understand." Shit, shit, shit. Feelings of regret where there should not be any wash over him like a wave. Fine, he has feelings for her then, he admits to himself.

Letting out a breath he didn't know he was holding, he looks around the forest. No rushing of leaves other than where the wind blows. No voice against the dark. Part of him wants out. Wants to leave and be with her. But common sense tells him that she doesn't need him, and besides, it's not like Krakens and Leviathans were supposed to leave and start for themselves. Whatever happened, it would be perfectly fine for him to stay here. Perfectly fine to pledge his loyalty to his brothers.

Chaos surrounds him. He spies a fleck of white and gold, and regretfully understands that his youngest son is in this battle as well. Too much like his father, perhaps, or did he get that stubbornness from his mother? No matter. He has to face another, a smaller horse but one with tricky powers over water, and he can only try to freeze whatever tries to touch him in hopes of not getting choked. He strides forward to engage; swims where he needs to swim, walks whenever he is thrown back to the ground. He will not stop before this evil is out of the world; or at least scattered, because that's how evil is. But organized evil, no, that will not come to pass on his watch.

Unless, of course, time stops. Unless something stops him, so devastating he cannot begin to understand. He falls then - he watches. A father should not see his son die, especially not their youngest, he shouldn't have come,
    take me instead. But it's done, over and done with in the blink of an eye. He can only stare; then, the waves overcome him, and he goes down as well.

Shuddering and wet - from sweat or as an after-effect of the illusion, he doesn't know - he stands there. He doesn't want to go any further. If this is the future, then pledging himself to his brothers means whatever sons he has will probably want to follow his example. To be heroic, to be better than him, because face it, that's the same drive he's always had himself. He can't do that. He shakes his head. He is quite certain that this is the end of it, but he's stuck now, struck with an uncertainty he's never had before. He'd never had to think about the future, always living in the now.

He takes a deep breath. He should move. Whatever direction that is. His mind is clear, he'd made this decision a long time ago. Brothers first, family second. To be honest, for Brennen that was a little easy - his family was in Ischia. Most of it anyway. Leilan now has had plenty of time to think about it, but to be honest...

To be honest, there's nowhere else he'd belong more. And besides, the future is uncertain. He might not have any kids at all.

Stepping forward once more, he is surprised and relieved that no new visions come.

His steps are still heavy by the time he reaches his leader. His face not ready for jokes for once, he looks at Jesper and Belgaer. He's about in time to hear Belgaer's confession, and he nods. Yeah, something like that, he thinks vaguely. But when he looks at Jesper again, seeing the scars, knowing what he'd gone through, he suddenly feels selfish for all the times he had stood on the brink of walking away just now.

He looks at Brennen straight. "I have never been loyal to a kingdom before and I am not entirely sure I know what it entails. But I know you as a friend, and I will respect your every decision. However, I've made more friends, and they threaten my loyalty to Ischia. I do not wish to go to war with Loess, for example, but I wouldn't stand in your way if that is the only way." He bows his head to show his respect. Not exactly a hundred percent, he knows this. He looks back up. "By pledging myself to the Brotherhood, I hope that this will be family as much as it is already a bunch of friends." He looks at Jesper and Belgaer, smiles a little, though he would have winked if he weren't still upset from the visions.

He's finally ready then. "From today forward I, Leilan, formerly a Prince of the Amazons of Old, after which a title-less young man, will be known as a Kraken of the Brotherhood. My brothers will come first, above all else. My family will come second, however large or small that is or may be. Thirdly, my loyalty lies with allies of Ischia, whom I will consider an extension of the Kraken family. Wherever I go, I shall be aware that I am known as a Kraken, and will present myself with honesty and chivalry, if not politeness. I will not tolerate evil such as rape, murder, or maiming, and will work against such acts wherever I can. Should I come to know of a Brother who betrays us, he will no longer be a Brother of mine, nor family or friend of choice, nor an ally of mine. Should I come to know of a Brother who has not presented themselves chivalrous or politely, but who hasn't broken faith, I shall be aware that he will be punished within the Brotherhood, but not to the eye of an outsider. This, I swear to you today. Please bear witness of this fact." His throat is getting a little dry from all the talking, but he dips his head then, and waits. There will be others.
    there's something here that doesn't make sense
    let's go and poke it with a stick

sid, should you read this - sorry in advance if the details of Vi's birth don't match with whatever happened back then, but I did not have time to go find and sort through all your old Scorch threads. The rest seemed like something that could have happened :P.
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Hold me in this wild, wild world: ALL Ischians + Tournament Participants - by Leilan - 06-25-2018, 04:08 PM