• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

(ALL IN) Updates - Birthday Traits, User Groups, Equus Traits
    It seems it would almost make more sense for single animal shapeshifitng to be 3 spaces while Equus traits are 2? Shape shifters can transform any part of their body or choose to fully transform but Equus, as Kyra described, means they’re permanently 50/50...

Otherwise they’d all basically be shapeshifters and there’d be no real difference between the two traits? Or that’s how I’m seeing it.
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    I always pictured shapeshifters as being able only to be 100% horse or 100% shifted. Otherwise like Cal said, they really should be reversed, or else make it that shapeshifters can only be 100/100 whereas Equus can be a melding of both to any degree.
    :)
    I've always played my animal shifters as being able to shift parts of themselves. Ex Karaugh had vampire bat shifting, so she could just have fangs or just bat wings... Maybe it just makes more sense to not have the Equus traits that are animal related...?  Cuz essentially isn't it the same thing?  Unless of course you wanted a Kelpie or Gryffen or Hypogryff cuz those are technically half and half always... But we have those shifting or mimicries as well...  

The only difference I really see is Equus Ferrum and it's melding of horse and iron, which I've played as basically Iron Horse.  So if you did like a plant horse it'd have branches for mane and tail like the Dyrad, or whatever it is.  

I guess I just don't see the significance in even keeping them...
    ~Actives~
    Kreation~Deiti~Zain
    AuroraElis~Demi
    -Semi Active-
    Change the spacing to make sense however but I think the Equus traits should stay as is. I like that my Equus Mammuthus and Equus Lepidoptera are exactly as they’re described currently in the trait database.

Shapeshifters should remain as they are too - able to shift fully or parts of themselves. That’s how I’ve always played them and how I’d prefer to play them personally.

I can understand changing the spaces where warranted but not changing how those traits are already defined or played. Because then you’re putting limitations on how creative we can be with them within reason and the scope of the rules. I don’t normally weigh in on things like this but I don’t like the idea of my shifters not being who they are by being able to shift partially or completely. Same with my Equus-trained ones, they’re wonderful little horse-animal mutations and that’s how they should stay. 

Smile

Clarification:

Shifting should remain as it is whether partial or complete. I’m not fussy on the space requirements as to whether it’s a 3 or a 2.

Let the Equus traits stay as they are with the addendum that they’re half and half not shifters. I’ve never played mine as able to shift anyway.

Maybe limit the animal mimicry ones? I feel like they should only be able to mimic certain aspects of an animal without shaoeshifting fully or partially but since they’re mimicking, they’re not stuck as half and half if that makes sense?

I just don’t want to see some of my creations become irrelevant because that seems a bit unfair to my brain-children.
     KEEPER/PECULIAR 
    (and others)
    I feel like once new definitions are created, you could change the trait name so as to not have to change how they’re being played.
    :)
    I guess I don’t get why even some of the trait names need to change?
    To me it feels a little like a slap in the face to something I created and got permission for and now it’s not relevant because it doesn’t fit or make sense to some? That doesn’t seem fair or maybe I’m reading more into it then there really is which is possible and I apologize for but some of my creations are now being called into question so... I do agree there is a need for more clear cut definitions of the traits and limitations expressly mentioned so everyone is clear of them. But I don’t think some of the traits or their names really need revision unless the owners and officers feel way for purposes of streamlining and simplifying things.
     KEEPER/PECULIAR 
    (and others)
    So then I'm seeing:

Equus traits- definition is 50/50, horse and other non-mythical animal, 2-space

Non- mythical Animal-shifters- Can shift whole or parts, 2-space

Non-mythical Mimicry- has three characteristics of said animal - 1 space

Maybe none have to be 3-space cuz what do they really have for powers? Wings? Fangs? Horns? Scales?  I think I played my dolphin shifter with echolocation, bat with infared vision, jellyfish with tentacles that could sting... So it's not like any of the non-mythical animal shifters have any substantial abilities either.  And the Equus animals are just mutants without significant powers... I could see Equus Ferrum as being 3-space still cuz they can control iron of the earth and that's more of an ability than looks.  

To me I just don't think you can lump animal shifters into the 3 space category when really they are practically the same as Equus animals just not stuck that way.  Then you'd have to change mythical animal shifters to a 4-space technically.

I think the true question was how to make the Equus traits into enough to be qualified as the 3-space trait and maybe thats adding more abilities into the description but that's hard with non-mythical type animals.  Like how to you justify a half mammoth/half horse being 3-spaces? Tusks, extreme strength, impenetrable hide, supernatural hearing... Where it kind of takes on a mythical edge??  Or just decide to cut the spacing?

I understand where your coming from Kristin in not wanting names/descriptions to change cuz it's in the history of BQ and your lines... I'd be sad to see Equus Ferrum go from K lines, but I also think moving natural animal shifters to 3-space would screw with a lot of spacing trait wise cuz A LOT of horses have them and it's a popular birthday trait choice Smile plus I really don't see 3-spaces worth of traits in non-mythical shifters.
    I think what I was getting at is there is no point in changing trait names - just spaces to make more sense. I understand some descriptions will have to be modified in accordance with trait-spacing but the way everyone was starting to word it was like there is no need for Equus traits period and that’s not fair to those of us that put in the time and effort to create good enough plots and reasons just to get permission for them to exist.

On that note;

The spacing you outlined makes more sense. You have to remember or realize that we didn’t decide the spacing - owners and officers did. Extinct has nothing special beyond tusks, extreme hairiness, maybe extreme strength and whatever is in her description which more or less outlines how she looks. There are no actual trait-traits that make extraordinary enough to warrant 3 spaces but I didn’t make that decision. I just came up with the name and attributes. 

But it has nothing to do with history or lines. It has to do with my creativity and the character I created with permission so I shouldn’t have to change my character’s trait name and attributes just because it doesn’t seem to fit the game or spacing guidelines. I wasn’t aware that we were getting rid of traits like that altogether which is kind of what it sounds like and that’s what I disagree with. Changing them to a 2-space doesn’t seem like that big of an issue and I’m okay with that aspect being changed. 

I originally thought this posting was about properly defining the Equus traits so they’re more cohesive and accurate and what the spacing should be for lots of traits since some seem ridiculous being 1 when they should be 0, a 3 being a 2, etc. Smile
     KEEPER/PECULIAR 
    (and others)
    Definitely!
    ~Actives~
    Kreation~Deiti~Zain
    AuroraElis~Demi
    -Semi Active-
    i haven’t read all of these replies yet, but we are not getting rid of the equus traits.
    we might shift some spacing around and alter some exact definitions, but nothing will be lost/taken away unless character were being played “above” the scope of their trait.