• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

You’re dripping like a saturated sunrise, Leilan
    For a week now she had been ignoring her daughter’s incessant urges that they go somewhere besides Hyaline. Even though the mountainous kingdom had plenty to offer, the almost still-newborn’s appetite for adventure was insatiable. With her patience beginning to wear thin, but still far too cautious to dare let the filly go anywhere alone, Briseis had decided that a short trip to the nearby river would hopefully be enough to satisfy Chryseis’ curiosity for now. The black mare was so accustomed to being alone that now, having a literal shadow, it was taking some getting used to. Thankfully her maternal instincts override any sort of ill feelings that could possibly arise; any time she was feeling irritated or fatigued all she had to do was look at the lovely little creature she had created and everything washed away.

They moved at a leisurely pace, or at least Briseis did. Summer was well upon them, and today was a beautiful day, like so many of them were. The bright sun was warm across her back, her black coat having regained its brilliant luster now that winter was gone. Chryseis looked almost nothing like her mother, save for the jet black mane and tail. Her coat had the silver-blue sheen that was true to blue roans, but down the center of her face was metallic gold blaze. The similarities between the girl and her father were striking, but instead of being irked by this, Briseis found it amusing. She had not sought him out yet, not because she didn’t feel he deserved to know that he had sired a child, but more so because she isn’t so sure he really cares. Thankfully, Chryseis has yet to figure out that it took two horses to create her, and so Briseis has managed to avoid the topic all together.

The dainty filly is bounding ahead of her mother, her childish giggles floating behind her. The grasslands that surrounded the river were lush and soft beneath her feet, with flowers still blooming and bright clustering the landscape. Up ahead she can see the sun sparkling off the water, and with an excited squeal she immediately races ahead. Ignoring her mother’s sharp protest, she is almost to the bank of the river, her large brown eyes taking in the way the water rushes over the rocks that bulge from the surface. But her awkward, gangly legs are no match for her mother’s much more fluid stride, and in a matter of seconds she is crashing into the broadside of Briseis’ barrel. ”Chryseis! What have I told you about just rushing head first into things? You can’t even swim, what were you planning on doing?” Even though there is a sternness to her voice as she scolds, the undertone of fear was obvious with the slight tremor as she spoke.

But the girl is oblivious to the heart palpitations she had given her mother, ducking her head to peer at the water from underneath her stomach. ”But mommy it looks like fun!” There is a hint of a whine to her voice, her lower lip trembling in what could possibly be beginning of tears. But Briseis firmly nudges the little girl in the other direction, and it is only when she diverts her gaze for a mere second that she spots an incredibly familiar roan and metallic gold figure in the distance.

briseis.
    you’re ripped at every edge but you’re a masterpiece

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    Your beauty is beyond compare -
    oh, if I could hear but one song from you
    I shall hail thee Queen of Birds...
    The little girl is right, of course; swimming is fun. One of the best things on a hot day like today; and it’s not surprisingg he finds himself in the river today. Literally.

Splashing around however, is something he doesn’t do. Not because he doesn’t like a bit of fun, but because he remembers when he met her, she who placed him on the road to ruin. He doesn’t think she did it on purpose (maybe she did?), but she left him anyway, just when that budding flirtiness and attraction had started to grow into something new, something he hadn’t known before, that had festered inside while he was in Loess for a couple months, rooted itself in place in the debts of his heart like a vine, covering and slowly cracking a rocky wall.

Too late now, it seems. Her appearance in the field had only emphasized his feelings - instead of a vine it was now a poison, and her fleeting movements back and forth made it only worse. Instead of allowing him to push her to the back of his mind, she’d reminded him of her existence and his feelings for her. He wasn’t sure if maybe she’d done it on purpose, to test him. And now here he was, the land in-between their homes, where he usually went to find some peace; or just a lucky distraction.

He meandered in the water, near the opposite bank. Moving slowly, seeking out good patches of grass every now and then, or stopping for a drink. It was one of those moments that his ears perked at the sound of a young girl’s voice, filled with glee - ah, to be young again and not have troubles - though quickly stilled by a vaguely familiar voice, if stern though. But he’s been with so many women now, he doesn’t think any of it. It’s more interesting to hear the girl complain from their place just beyong the riverbend. Apparently, someone wasn’t allowed to jump into a high-tide spring river. Tssk, how boring mothers could become with their foals.

Perhaps a different sort of distraction today then. He lifts his head and lets his eye wander, but as it is, it appears that the both of them are just around the bend; just behind a bush. Since they are closer to the greenery than he, on the other side of the river, it’s possible for them to partly see him (especially considering his shiny attributes) while he has a hard time spotting them. He muses about this for a moment; then he shrugs, and enters the deeper part of the water to swim across. His strong legs are used to the tide of the sea surrounding Ischia; he’s swam the canal often enough and also once across the main island as his test to join the warrior caste. If he wasn’t swimming, he’d snort at his own thought - he’s not much of a guard these days, but then, he doesn’t think he wants responsibilities like that either, so he’s glad he hasn’t been given some. Brennen was a good king, for him, knowing who desired more and who did not.

His splashes were soft enough to be overruled by the sound of the river itself, even when he reaches the other side and stood there dripping, then shook out his roan fur. Tail still dripping, he looked back in the direction of the sounds. They’d have heard or seen him now if they paid any attention, so if the mother did not want him to approach she could have run by now.

He stepped towards the bush leisurely, not wanting to give off a troubled or dark vibe - he really was just curious who the voice belonged to. Close enough now, he sees her head between branches - smells her too. ”Briseis!” he recognizes finally, stepping around the bush near the riverbend to greet her jovially. ”I’d been wondering if you were o-“ His gaze falls upon the filly; a blue roan, she looks like his baby sister, and an unmistakable golden blaze that marks her his, metallic as his own mane and tail. His jaw shuts with a clacking sound where teeth meet. Honestly, he’d thought nothing of her having a foal around, she could have been babysitting, or after their night in early autumn she could have found another, but no. ”Oh.” is the first thing that escapes his troat - a surprised tone, not disappointed or angry, but not the best word. But he doesn’t have an excuse, or anything else to say. His eyes flicker back to the filly, and he realizes he can’t say much in front of her either, so instead he lowers his head just a little to look at her, ears perked forward. ”Hello. I’m... Leilan.” ’Your father’, his mind screams at him, but he swallows the word, not knowing what Briseis wants to have her know at the moment. ”What’s your name, pretty girl?”

To protect the innocence of his own daughter, letting Briseis decide is the least he can do.
    there's something here that doesn't make sense
    let's go and poke it with a stick

@[Briseis] sorry it’s a novel (:.
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Briseis had never had much tact when it came to keeping personal relationships. Although her memories of her time before Beqanna remain murky and fragmented, she is pretty sure she has never maintained any sort of friendship. Those that she has met here - mainly just Kagerus and Leilan - was the closest she has ever come to even having what you could call acquaintances. The fact that she had gotten so caught up in the burning of autumn was rather out of character for the usually reserved black mare, and honestly she had put little thought into what she would do if she came across the roan stallion again. Having a daughter that clearly looked like him had caused the thought to cross her mind a little more than usual, but she was still completely unprepared for them to cross paths today.

Of course as soon as they make eye contact he is on his way closer, and it’s only his jubilant voice that finally breaks Chryseis’ attention away from the water. The little roan girl suddenly stands up straight, eyeing the stranger with a guarded inquisitiveness. Briseis is watching the stallion now, and there is a glimmer of amusement when the realization washes over his face. No one really expects to meet a new child in the field and immediately realize it’s yours. Today just happens to be his lucky day. Lucky because Briseis has no expectations from him. He was clearly of good character, but her years of solitude made it nearly impassible for her to let anyone in. She’d had no intention of purposely hiding their daughter, but she also didn’t think he cared much for the added responsibility; or the strain it might cause on any real relationship he had with someone else.

”Leilan,” she greets him with a quiet smile, only her eyes glimmering with how entertaining she found the situation. ”I didn’t expect to run into you here.”

With large brown eyes Chryseis is watching him, since it was rare that her mother spoke to anyone at all. She wasn’t like that. She wanted to talk to everyone, but her mother remained adamant that that ‘wasn’t a good idea’. Now that they were standing before someone that it appeared she was allowed to talk to, she wasn’t quite sure what to do with herself. For now, her eyes are focused on the way his mane glitters in the sun, much like the blaze that adorns her delicate face, though she has never seen it. The similarities between their coat colors is lost to her, as is the way her mother is watching them like she’s waiting for something to happen. He lowers his head to her level, and without hesitation she steps forward, touching her tiny muzzle to his and responding in her small, girlish voice, ”My name is Chryseis,” Blinking her long lashes she beams up at him, noticing the way the water drips from his mane. ”Your mom lets you swim? I think you should have your mom talk to my mom, because I want to get in the water and she won’t let me.” Because obviously that would be the solution to her problem.

With a somewhat exasperated sigh Briseis tugs at the curly locks of her daughters mane. ”You’re not getting in this part of the river.” Much in the same way she spoke to everyone else, Briseis had a way of being abruptly to the point. But she is distracted, having been mulling over what she was going to do ever since she saw him a few minutes ago. Her gaze settles on Leilan again, and she can see the way he looks at Chryseis - can almost hear the unfinished thoughts in his head. Hesitantly, she looks down at the little roan girl with the metallic gold blaze, and then back at the roan stallion with the metallic gold mane, before finally saying, ”Chryseis, this is actually your father. He lives in a different part of Beqanna.”

Furrowing her little brow, Chryseis seems to ponder this new information. She looks up at the stallion searchingly, the small wheels of her mind turning. She takes a step towards him again, peering up at him, her dark brown eyes staring directly into his. ”Dad....” she trails off for a moment, seeming to test the word on her tongue, before continuing with, ”...will you please tell mom to let me get in the river?” And with that she turns to sidle alongside the stallion, proudly smiling at Briseis, who doesn’t seem the least bit surprised by this turn of events.

briseis.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    At first, he isn't entirely sure if Briseis appreciates his coming closer - she'd seemed a reserved mare way back then, but to be honest, he hadn't thought of it much - no, he hadn't thought at all, period. That's where the little baby came from, in the end. Two horses not thinking; and he'd still take every opportunity to not-think, to be totally frank.

Not today though - plenty of things to think about now. Consequences, always; but he guessed for her more so than for him. He felt odd about that, she didn't ask for anything, hadn't gone searching before; possibly she had not at all meant for him to be a part of the little girl's life at all. But here they all were anyway.

He noticed her amused look - it seemed he was forgiven, at least, and he grinned a bit painfully. "Likewise... but nice to see you anyway." He smiled then, finally, seeing the joke of the situation. Careless, boundless Leilan, now he had a daughter to care for, while he always (and still) would be messing with other men's daughters. Maybe only after she came of age, would the idea finally settle in his mind that maybe what he did not want for Chryseis was another man with the same mind-set as himself. But somehow all of this lay too far in the future to hold him back for real.

The blue roan girl caught his attention when he asked for her name. Not shy - not at all; probably not a trait she shared with her mother. He grinned at Chryseis, though it faltered partly, at the mention of his own mother. Well, shit. Tilting his head to Briseis a little, he smiled sheepishly. "I suppose she'd love to meet the both of you." He'd be in trouble as soon as she would find out, but - rather sooner than later, because Scorch would almost certainly kill him literally if he kept Chryseis hidden from her.

While he's thinking of this, Briseis has neatly handled the swimming situation - or at least so he thought. But no, as soon as she learns she has a father, Chryseis is willing to try again, thinking that somehow he has more authority on this than her own mother. He chuckles low, then, but shakes his head a bit - swallows the word 'No' just in time. "I'm pretty sure I overheard your mother saying you cannot swim. So how about we tackle that one first, somewhere more shallow? Unless of course, you breath water instead of air, but you did not get that from me and I somehow don't think your mother can do that either, so your chances are a bit slim." he says, as defiant as the little girl seems to be.

He glances up to Briseis, his lips moving the word 'lake?' wordlessly, hoping the girl is considering his offer in the meantime. Hyaline has much better water for first-lesson-swimming, but, if Chryseis can't be prodded to go back there, then he'll find a more safe spot in the river; perhaps near the next bend, if it meanders the other way. She has to be taught, reckless as she appears to be. Preferably before she drowns.

He can't go and tell his mother that, after all.

@[Briseis]
    |
    For the first time since arriving at Beqanna over a year ago, she almost seems relaxed. The muscles that normally were coiled so tightly were now soft beneath her slick black coat, and her eyes didn’t seem to dart around to seek out the source of every sound the way they usually did. Even though she couldn’t say that she trusted Leilan - her natural flight instinct that was so embedded into every part of her wouldn’t allow it - she didn’t exactly distrust him, either. She felt that she knew him well enough to not feel the need to look over her shoulder constantly when he was around, especially when she remembered the day that they had met and how he had willingly stepped in between her and a predator. Something told her that at his core, he was good. He wouldn’t knowingly bring harm to herself or their daughter, and that was more than she could say for the rest of the population.

”Nice to see you again too,” she says with a quiet laugh, the familiar heat rising to her cheeks when she thought about what happened last time. The result of that stood before them, small and delicate and perfect, and Briseis found that she didn’t regret her rash decision for a moment. She closes the space between herself and the roan stallion, her soft muzzle brushing the broad plain of his shoulder just lightly so, as she adds, ”I wasn’t planning on keeping her from you, by the way. I just didn’t know how to tell you.” Briseis was no fool. The wild black mare knew she was not the only girl to catch Leilan’s eye, nor would she be the last. Friendly as he may be, she hadn’t been too keen on seeking the stallion out to alert him on what she was sure was only one of countless children. But seeing the way he looked at Chryseis - in a way that said he was genuinely interested in her - was causing the guilt to settle in her chest.

The small roan girl was hard to not pay attention to, after all. Even at such a young age it was clear she would be beautiful when fully grown. Briseis was lovely in her own right, in an untamed, unpolished sort of way - much like the wilderness she came from. But Chryseis was refined and elegant, with her silver-black coat and raven locks, accompanied by the brilliant blaze down her porcelain-doll face. Her doe-like eyes were staring up at Leilan right now, eagerly awaiting the moment he would tell her mother she was wrong and that the river was completely suitable for her to plunge in. Of course that’s not what he says, but her hopes are only dashed for mere seconds when he suggests finding a shallower spot. She nods her head eagerly, rocking onto her back legs so that she can land a playful nip near his shoulder before bounding a few steps away and exclaiming excitedly, ”What about over there!?” She nods her head in the direction of a place just a ways off, where a small gravel bar sloped into the river, and even though it seemed much less exciting than the rapids, she supposes it will work and most likely will appease her parents.

Briseis catches Leilan’s silent suggestion, but Chryseis is already attempting to lead the way to her own destination. ”She says Hyaline is boring,” she informs Leilan as she falls into line behind the prancing roan girl. Briseis cannot say that she agrees with her daughters sentiment. Her life before Hyaline was one wracked with fear and anxiety, but she was grateful that so far, Chryseis’ childhood - and hopefully entire life - would not be the way hers was. For now, she was more than willing to take her daughter on whatever adventures the safety of Beqanna’s borders had to offer.

briseis.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    He can't even blink or Chryseis has already decided on her own that she only gets what she wants if she acts now. While Leilan still exchanges glances with the black-coated woman, and nods to her words, "I guess this was as good a way as any," - after all, he hadn't come looking for her either - Chryseis nips at the base of his mane, and he turns to look at the young filly dancing away, then racing. He shakes his head a moment, then grins. "No doubt that's my girl."

But she's going too fast on her own. He tosses his head backwards to shout at the foal running away. "Chryseis! You are going to wait for us!" There's no questioning his tone, the warning clear and promising repercussions if she doesn't. Then he snorts and follows suit just like Briseis.

The mother comments that her daughter doesn't think Hyaline all that exciting. "What parts of Hyaline do you reside in, then? Is she not as excited to swim in the lake as she is for the river? Or explore the mountain caves?" He shuts his mouth at that question, and chuckles. "Or maybe I get to be the fun parent." he nudges her shoulder with his playfully, but then he takes a few long strides to match up with the roan filly, to beat her to the shore before she decides she can go in without him anyway.

He doesn't stop there, but overtakes her and enters the water without hesitation. When all four hooves have found footing, he turns back to the girl. "Now you get in. But watch where you step. Wet stones are slippery." He can feel the current slightly tugging at his hooves, but to him it's nothing serious. For an un-sure-footed little girl taking her first steps on slippery stones, the water tugging at her might just about unbalance her. Not to mention the sudden cold that makes feet go numb. But if she falls here, at least no harm will be done.
    "dear crow, your voice is right enough;
    but where are your wits?"

@[Briseis]
    |
    It didn’t take much to see that Chryseis inherited a lot from her father. The roan coloring, the golden, metallic blaze, and a personality that was far more outgoing than her mothers. Inwardly, this made Briseis happy. She was accustomed to her own awkward desire to be alone - and yet not wanting to be - but she didn’t want her daughter to be like that. She wanted Chryseis to fit in with Beqanna; she wanted her to have friends, excitement, a purpose. Not just live life as a shadow, like her.

She watches as just one of Chryseis’ ears flick backwards at Leilan’s stern sounding voice, and for a second it seems as though she is going to keep running. But as an afterthought the filly comes to a stop, waiting for her parents.

Briseis frowns just slightly at his mentioning of caves, and she replies matter of factly with, ”She doesn’t need to be exploring caves, they’re dangerous and other animals live there.” Other animals that like to eat horses. All she can do is snort at his mentioning of being the ‘fun’ parent. The black mare admittedly knew very little about having fun. She thinks maybe if she could recover lost memories she most likely was similar to all other foals; running, playing, and completely carefree. But she can’t remember any of that. Her childhood, and everything prior to Beqanna, was a bottomless black hole. All she remembers is a fight to survive, and she was still learning she didn’t have to fight quite so hard within Beqanna’s borders. If it weren’t for Leilan, Chryseis probably wouldn’t have any fun at all.

Chryseis lets her father enter the water ahead of her, prancing in place eagerly as he explains something about safety or whatever. The words are hardly out of his mouth before she splashes in after him, squealing in surprise as the cold water lands against her skin. Even though she knew it would be cold it somehow caught her off guard. She stands about fetlock- deep, feeling the way the water poured around her legs. She lowers her head, her muzzle skimming the surface as she takes a cautious step forward, the smooth pebbles shifting beneath her weight. She stares out across the wide expanse of the river, and looks up to Leilan thoughtfully and asks, ”Are there sharks in here?” Something about the way she asks indicate she’s not asking out of fear, but more so wondering if they can go looking for them.

briseis.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    The roan chuckles at Briseis’ overcompensating worriedness. ”Hibernation’s only in winter, Briseis. Just teach her what scents to be aware of now, before she decides she has to do it later: on her own, when you’re of no influence whatsoever any more.” he shakes his head. He knows all too well, after all.

He’s inwardly relieved that Chryseis has decided to stop, not completely defying either parent already at least. Still, she can’t wait to get in, even if she almost slips in the water. He lifts a brow at her clumsy water walking, and pops an unexpected question. He gives her a mischievous grin and lowers his tone. ”Sharks? I’ve not seen any... but that’s the same as saying there’s no lake monster in Hyaline.” Of course, as far as he knows there’s no monster in there whatsoever, and he’s not exactly saying that there is... but then again, it should keep her interested in her home for a little while longer, until she’s old enough to grow over the fairytale. And who knows if she ends up the one with the scariest ghost stories, she might even be more popular among the other kids.

With Briseis nearing, he quickly lifts his head as if nothing happened, then moves further into the river to test the stream, to where he is barely standing, and she would no longer be. ”Come along then, it’s not swimming as long as your feet are still touching pebbles.” he challenges. Using his own body as some sort of dam against the worst of the current, he figures she can learn how to keep her head above the water at least, hopefully before she gets too tired. But even if she does, he’ll be sure to pull her out. She’s the only real light in his life that he can count on, after all.
    "dear crow, your voice is right enough;
    but where are your wits?"

@[Briseis]
    |