• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

if heaven's grief brings hell's reign [someone]
    In the wake of the ancient one's assault on the rockface, the unsuspecting queen only shut her eyes harder. This left a silence between them once Scorch's prelude reached Breckin's ears, a silence that Scorch knew Breckin used to compose herself - what she didn't know was the extent to which Breckin had to work to attain said composure, what with her newfound gift (or shall we call it a curse?). Regardless, the mutilated mare awaited Breckin's reaction patiently; although she had her suspicions about what distressed the leopard mare so greatly, she knew that whatever it was, she had no right to rush Breckin forward from the pain of her suffering.

I'm well enough to hear kingdom business.
    If only you knew, child... If only you knew.

Scorch's tongue ran over her lips, readying them to deliver the heavy new, when Breckin straightened. The Dosh paused her words, watching keenly as the tormented figure raised her gaze, its depths a shade of slate-blue that Scorch had never before seen. Steeled. A part of Scorch knew that that would be their usual hue from now own, but she reassured herself that, even at the worst of times (in wars and in natural disasters and in mourning), there happened to be abundant joy in the ruling of a kingdom.

Words from her conversation with Heartfire suddenly came to the mare: given how things stand now, you may have done a sight better. With a clench of her gut that left her feeling shriveled, she momentarily imagined not telling Breckin of what she'd seen, instead going back to the sign and tearing it down, and then reclaiming Nerine as she had every right to. But the seize passed, and she exhaled a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding. What she'd responded to her granddaughter with still held true, even now, in the changing of leaders: she served best as second in command.

What can I do to be of service?

"I am going to be blunt, Breckin." She didn't blink, holding her long-ago recruit's gaze with the intensity of one who's about to deliver news like hers. "Wishbone has disappeared, and left Nerine to you. There is a sign, in the northern forest. I can take you to it if you'd like."

She paused, wanting to make some offhand joke but not knowing how to; without reason, her argument with Leilan made an appearance in her mind's eye, leaving her all the more somber. Still, she fought against the downpour of negativity, struggling to retain her resilience; her lips, cracked and charred, lilted up into a smile, though it did not come even close to reaching her eyes.

"But as it is, I now bow to you, Khaleesi Breckin." She bent a knee, and stooped, though only slightly; it was more of a gesture than a true kneel. She straightened without much pause. "Though I would recommend keeping me as an advisor." Here, her smile did widen some; but she dropped this thread of conversation as her mind drifted elsewhere.

Before Breckin could reply - perhaps even cutting her off - Scorch's voice leapt back into the space between them, a more urgent tone ringing therein. "Breckin," a pause, a frown. "Whatever is going on right now - outside of the crown newly bestowed on your head - I want you to know that you can tell me." The wind whipped at what scraggles remained of her mane, salt from the ocean's spray stinging her skin where it landed. "I brought you here, and I've watched you grow. I don't intend on stopping."

@[Breckin]
    [Image: scorch2.png]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: if heaven's grief brings hell's reign [someone] - by Scorch - 08-26-2018, 07:14 PM