• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

between the shadows and the soul - all kingdom
    She has given them long enough, and yet not one of them has bothered to come tell her what they found in the other kingdoms. Of course not. That would be useful, and then it wouldn’t require that she seek them all out. But Straia isn’t about to go hunt down each and every one of them. Rather, she’s going to make it simple. Well, simpler for her, she supposes, though kingdom meets aren’t always simple. Perhaps, in moments like these, it’s useful that there aren’t too many of them in the Chamber.

Kavi was away, she knew. And she wasn’t entirely certain that Warship would be able to attend, given his current situation and the fact that he seemed to serve Eight more than the Chamber now. She wasn’t entirely pleased at whatever bargain the black stallion had struck, but what could she do about it now? Erebor had been to every kingdom though, so he could pick up whatever slack the others left.

She makes her way to the center of the kingdom, where the burnt remains of the miniature tree that once linked them to the Gates stands. The heart beats beneath her feet not too far off. Here is where she calls them, this place full of reminders of where they have been and where they should be going. Away from the Gates as an ally, for one.

She waits till they all arrive, nodding her head to each as they approach. There were new faces, ones that had already started proving their worth, and she’s glad to see them as well. “To begin, welcome Killdare and Engelsfors. I’m glad to see you’ve thrown yourselves into life in the Chamber, and for your work already, you’ve each been promoted in your chosen castes.” She pauses, letting the others note that hard work really does pay off in the Chamber. She is glad to give promotions, and quick to take them away as well should you stop deserving them.

“Next, I’ve promoted Erebor to Lord. He’s already proven himself dedicated to this kingdom in the few years he’s been alive, and I don’t doubt that, should something take me away, he will be capable of taking over.” She didn’t like the idea of leaving the Chamber without someone to cover for her, should something happen to her. Exactly what might happen, she doesn’t know. She’s strong and capable, certainly, but she’s also not a fool. There are plenty stronger and more powerful than she, and plenty that would love to cause a stir.

“Now, for those of you who visited the kingdoms, I’d like to know what you found out. It’s about time we decide what to do about our political alliances. I grow weary of nothing but friendly challenges. For my part, the Tundra was polite but distant. The Amazons were about the same. The Amazons have chosen to ally with the Deserts and the Tundra, so I’m not sure we’ll find a friend there. Granted, I’m not sure I’d choose to make the Amazons our outright enemy either.” At least, not yet. But she keeps her mouth closed on that one. It still seemed uncertain whether or not Eight would choose to cause that particular brand of chaos, but for the time being, she wouldn’t bank on it.

straia

queen of the chamber

angels fall on broken wings;

The deep, darkness was all consuming and all silent, save for the breathing of my own lungs and Killdare's silent musings. I continued to inch further, the heartbeat rife, so close yet so far. My ears twitch, an unnerving wonder beyond, hidden within the depths. I follow him, the bay steed, rigidly close. Each willowy limb as lithe in movement as the creaking boughs above. I sidle up, step by step the bay steed and I match, but then I slip behind him, just as we break through the shadowy bowels, to a small clearing, there immediately the scent of acrid smoke, fallen ash and scars as deep as thick veins, towards the heart, fill me. I turn an eye to Killdare yet say nothing, only then noticing that by the charred remains of a sickly tree, stood the queen herself.

I see her then, the painted lady, regal as ever and as graceful as the stars come midnight. She is like a statue, engraved perfectly solid in the backdrop. Immediately I notice Killdare's head bowing, I know of respect and am rigid as they come, but perhaps I wasn't as astute as the soldier. I shook my head, ridding of the tendrils of mane before lowering my head to the painted queen, muzzle breathing in the cold air, the ash of mysterious hope. ’Straia.’ I remembered her words, how often she was called a lady, a queen, but it was simpler as Straia. I still offer her my respect, my allegiance. mussed mane falling over my eyes as I meet hers. ’I serve this ashen earth, my lady. My gratitude, immensely.’ a rise in the ranks. I eye up the others, unmistakably Killdare to my side, a twinkle in my blue eye. 'Congratulations, Killdare.' He was a knight indeed, a growing soldier in the blossoming ranks. There would be tales, tales told indeed of the bay steed. A slight curve of my lips fleetingly blessed my facade before melting back to a debonair line. I dip my nose to Erebor, just off from the painted queen. The Prince, handsome is as handsome does, he was certainly doing things. 'Well met, Erebor..' ebony tendrils fall over azure orbs momentarily, concealing them from view. When Straia descends into conversation about diplomatic ventures, I listen but do not interrupt. I stepped foot on Chamber earth after the foray, but I listen, lips peaked, salmon tongue wetting them momentarily. Awaiting the firecracker of words.

can't give up, can't give in;

He could see ahead now, and what green eyes beheld was much to his surprise as any. The painted silhouette of his Queen stood near a blackened and burned tree. It was a rather prominent piece of bark, compared to the rest it seemed much more significant. The beating had grown stronger beneath his feet, and he cocked his head, part amused. There she stood aside it, waiting, expecting. Had she called them? He wasn’t sure, but he snaked his head around to Engel, “Head down.” He said quietly, before lowering his own dial to a respectful height. He didn’t particularly care to be caught off guard, not that he had thought he had been doing wrong.

He emerges from the wood, ash covered, bits of his bay coat peeking through in patches. His eyes are red, bloodshot, from the irritation of ash. He didn't like to be caught off guard,especially by his Queen, his leader. It reflected poorly on him he was inclined to think. His green eyes settle on Straia before he bows his head in acknowledgement. "Straia," he greets taking a spot among the others, though they are few. He awaits the words he knew would come, he also awaits to see just how many in number they are. He had yet to meet all members of his now home, though he didn't think from lack of effort. On the contrary, he had met Engelsfors easily, coming across her on one of his patrols. He tried his best to switch off with Erebor, though more often than naught they ended up making rounds at the same time.  He receives news of a promotion in stride, though he is no less grateful. He had tried his hand at steals, true, successfully blocking one even. Engels, is promoted in her caste, she had a way with words and he was not the least surprised. Rather he was actually very pleased, the more the succeeded the stronger the Chamber became.

The talk turns then to the young Prince, he is named Lord of the Chamber. Killdares charcoal covered dial, dips respectfully, of late Killdare hardly considered the boy a child at all. Everything but his sleek black bodice spoke of man. The way he spoke, the way he conducted himself.  "Congratulations." He offers, before the discussion turns once more. Meetings. He hadn't gone on a meeting yet, he felt rather displeased with himself. He had but little to offer in the way of words, perhaps he should volunteer to come with on the next trip, he could at the very least help if push came to shove. Literally, in that sense. Though he had a small shred of information, but only just. He had happened upon it rather accidently, but that was just the fluff.

"If I might?" He asks, before he begins. "I'd been to check up on Killgore, my sister. I tracked her down to the Cove with a peculiar stag made of Iron. i didn't approach, as i was not invited and instruction makes clear that the herd lands are not of our concerns. What was interesting though is, a silver dapple female was there. The male was force breeding her at the time, and she was crying." He said this all without emotion, as if it were a natural occurrence, though to him it was. "Between her sobs, her pleading, I heard that she was just trying to get to the Chamber, that the Gates wanted to ally. I dont think she ever did end up coming by though." He ended almost thoughtfully, as if he even cared if she came by at all. His lady Queen had just said she grew tired of their friendly challenges, well, he would have to see about changing that now wouldn't he? His face was smug at the thought.

html by Call

We are at war. There will be scars.

His mother calls them together, calling them into the heart of the Chamber, literally and figuratively. He is the first to arrive (indeed, perhaps he had seen her moving here, had thought to follow her, had been at an advantage over all the rest of them to reach her fastest).

He stands beside her (not in the way of a proud prince, but in the way of a comrade, a brother – or in this case, son – in arms). She welcomes the two new faces, both of whom Erebor likes immensely. It isn't hard to earn his favor; you simply need to be a little bit useful, have some capacity to serve the Chamber and devote yourself to something. She promotes them, a move which he fully supports, and he gives each a smile. "Congratulations." he offers, genuine.

Her next words catch him off guard, and his careful soldierly poise slips just a hair. He wasn't expecting that kind of honor. He knows she respects him, she's made that much obvious. But never in a million years did he expect…well, this. "Thank you." he says to her, his eyes riveted on his mother. He then turns to the others who murmur their congratulations. He smiles to both of them. "Thank you." He pauses, looking far older than his years. "I was born to serve the Chamber, and I will do all I can to serve her as well as I can, however I can." Not that this is news, anyone with half a brain knows what this boy lives for.

He is silent then, listening as Straia turns to the real meat of the discussion. He knows, even though she does not say it, that she leans heavily on him for this. He alone can report back on the Dale, the Valley, the Gates, the Deserts, and even the Falls, depending on whether Kavi is able to return from the business that calls him away in time for this meeting.

Killdare speaks then of finding his sister, but what interests Erebor far more is the tale he tells of a stallion of iron and a mare being force bred. "A stallion made of iron." he says, as though puzzling it out. He glances to his mother. "That'd have to be in the mythical lands, and if it's force breeding, that'd probably mean the evil mythical lands. That's far to the south of here." he sighs. "That's quite a ways to get lost if you're trying to get from the Gates to us." He finds himself unhappy at the thought that a mare on a diplomatic mission here had found herself in that kind of trouble, although he also finds himself questioning her sense of direction.

"When I visited the Gates I found them polite and more open than most, so it does not surprise me that they had wished to ally. But the kingdom was quiet. Very quiet. I don't think we'll find the strength we seek there."

"My impression of the Amazons and the Tundra was very much the same as yours." he nods to his mother. "Polite, but guarded. The alliance between Tundra and Amazons is a natural one, I don't think we'll find that either can be separated from the other." He pauses then, thinking. "I am not sure about the Deserts, however. I met one of the new queens, Camrynn. She seemed…." he frowns. "Far different than I would expect a light queen to be. She's created a magical protector for them, an animated sphinx that seems to have a docile personality, but that can become fierce should they ever need him – or so Camrynn claims." he is fully willing to believe it, given what he's seen of magic. "They also invited us to participate in an upcoming friendly practice challenge that they will be hosting. There are to be events for diplomats and fighters, and plenty of opportunity to mingle with those from other kingdoms besides." He believes in practice, and this sounds like a great opportunity for that. "I think it could be a good opportunity for the Chamber to show its strength, and to resolve any lingering questions we might have about our neighbors. It could be very interesting to see certain diplomats from other kingdoms relating to each other."

"Tiphon of the Dale seemed curious but guarded. The land was very quiet – Tiphon is the only horse we encountered. In every other kingdom save the Valley, there were at least two horses to greet us." he thinks on the Valley for a moment, but it does not occur to him to suggest that the kingdom may be lacking in power. It may have dwindled in numbers, but it holds a magician – something that is not to be discounted.

"I also accompanied Kavi to the Falls." he pauses then, thinking back on their unsuccessful trip. "We were unable to secure an alliance, and they did not seem receptive. We had initially planned to ally with them because of the strategic advantage of the Falls' healing water. However, those falls are now largely dried up, and as a result of that – or as a shrewd political move – the Falls have restricted access. We were in the middle of trying to negotiate." he does not mention how he suspects that a different tactic might have been more successful there. It is not his place to question the governor. He purses his lips together – perhaps now it is. "I don't think our chances of an alliance with them are good, although it might not hurt for Straia and I to return and try again, if we believe the alliance is worth it." He looks to Straia, wondering if she'll understand what he's thinking, but is not even considering implying. "I am not, however, convinced that the alliance is worth it. Using the healing water is not so simple nowadays, and their kingdom is terribly weak outside of that one asset."

He pauses, aware that he's spoken for a very long time. "I suggest we make all of this discussion preliminary, and see how the kingdoms show in this upcoming event at the Deserts." he suggests, his voice bold. "That event will allow us to see how the rulers relate to each other. It will allow us to see how the various kingdoms represent themselves, a far better show of strength than we'd get just from visits." he pauses and looks at all who are assembled. "And I think we should not hesitate to let Beqanna see our strength." he pauses then, letting that sink in. "As far as our ultimate alliance partners…I don't think that any kingdom but the Valley, the Deserts, the Amazons, or the Tundra would even be a worthy partner. And even they are barely stronger than us with our new members." He smiles at Killdare and Engelsfors.

"I'm sorry, that was quite a bit too much of me talking." he apologizes, and actually means it. "If anyone has specific questions about any of the kingdoms, I did visit them all, and am happy to share my thoughts, comparisons, anything I can."

Anything he can.

Erebor

Native Prince of the Chamber

warship x straia

The two newer faces are quick to arrive, and she doesn’t regret her decision to promote them quickly. It was clear they planned to serve the kingdom, and she was glad to have them. Killdare has a bit to add, and she flicks her ears forward, listening intently and mulling it over. She didn’t really care what happened to the mare, truthfully. Probably she should, but what did it matter to her that someone else wandered the wrong direction? That this particular mare wasn’t strong enough to do anything other than sob.

Ah, but at the same time, she’s not entirely heartless. She can’t really imagine how the entire thing started, but she has no issues crossing herdland rules. After all, they had clearly taken someone from a kingdom. Erebor speaks first. He’s correct in his puzzling, as far as she can tell. The mare had gotten supremely lost, somewhere in the evil mythical kingdoms probably.

“If you want to try and find the mare, be my guest. I have no issues pissing off a herd. That said, I don’t think it’s really our problem either. I’ve no plans to ally with the Gates, truthfully. Though I’d return their member to them if we happened to get her back.” She shrugs. She’d leave the decision up to Killdare. It would certainly give them something to do. Maybe they could take the mare captive for a bit just to prove they were no longer weak. No longer a kingdom you just wandered in and out of. Either way. Killdare could choose, and she would support his decision.

Erebor continues, going through the kingdoms. If she had been uncertain about his promotion (not that she had been, mind you), she certainly wouldn’t be now. He’s basically the only reason they had information on all the kingdoms. Warship and Kavi were not around, and Shaytan had not yet come back. Perhaps the mare missed having bunnies around. She listens as he speaks, thinking on what he’s says, but she’s inclined to agree with her son and so the decisions come easily.

By the time he is done, she knows where the Chamber should stand. At least for now, but it was enough to get them out of this period of limbo they’d been living in for too long.

“I’d like to encourage all of you to go participate in the Deserts competitions. Get a feel for those you meet there, and report back. I, for my part, will go watch instead and see what I can learn on the sidelines.” Not that she thought herself above participating, but someone needed to watch as well. There was as much to be learned from one angle as another. “As for the rest, leave the Falls be. If they attempt steals or challenges from us, feel free to reciprocate. But for now, let's simply remain neutral toward them. The Valley is friendly steals and challenges only.” Maybe eventually she’d go to the Falls with Erebor herself, but she had no desire to beg for an alliance. The Falls could have used the backing of the Chamber army, and they were foolish to simply throw that away.

She pauses for a moment, letting that bit sink in before continuing. “The rest of the kingdoms are fair game, though do not target one over the other. And don’t go overboard. I’d like for Beqanna to remember that we exist, but not to feel like they need to gang up on us either. I still believe our time is best spent recruiting. We are stronger than before, but we can be stronger still.”

straia

queen of the chamber

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

♦♢♦

Finely tuned ears drink in everyone's words. I am one to listen, to stand and observe and quietly understand things. It was how I had learnt when I was even younger, nothing more than days old, I would stand beside my mother and listen to the world's woes, the tales that the lands had told, with scars and with well-angled lies here and there, to make the stories seem that much more unbelievable. I listen like that now, my ears perking to each in turn. I listen to Killdare, his baritone voice reminding me of the nightly hawk's calls, gruff and strong. I watch him curiously, I do not add anything, I am still a newcomer to the chamber -- even if the heart that beats within the earth beats alongside my own in a two-time crescendo, I am still unbiased or biased if one would think. I know not of customs, of other lands and potential allies, but I listen and absorb all the same.

Erebor is far older than his young face, he speaks with the wisdom of fine owls, and his eyes show a great deal of what he has seen in his winters passing. I admire him, like one can admire a well-adorned painting, from afar and with too little judgement and not enough criticism. My azure gaze then befalls the Queen, she is a statue amongst us, strong, imposing. I watch her, and listen. I listen to all and everyone until finally the air is free and my tongue is almost sizzling. 'I will gladly represent what will be a kingdom those dare to reckon with.' my eyes meet Straia's, true and honest as black magic weaves my tongue, my debonair smile. 'What use are allies, when they are weak? This competition offers a chance to weed out those kingdoms that are not as strong as they might think. Does the greatest pine tree grow like a sentinel, with spindly neighbours? No, it is a great forest standing together with the strong, those grown through adversary.' my prose is poetic at best, perhaps floral and mindless to some, but I meet each chamber member with an astute stare. 'The Chamber can show that, right? rising from the ashes, like it has shown to be doing already. I believe that this kingdom will be one most revered,' a long, deliberate pause, my eyes meeting the painted Queen's, before casting a fleeting glance to both Erebor and Killdare, both of which would get my meaning. 'I offer my allegiance, my heart to the worthy cause.'

♦♢♦
    Drink the poison lightly, there are

deeper and darker things than you;

professor of the chamber
    html by magpie77 - photo manip by beequeen - character by magpie77

OOC: blah blah blah Engelsfors xD

There is much to be heard. Though they are few in number, they do not lack for things to discuss. Straia responds to his topic of the lost mare. The little silver dapple who needed a lesson or two on navigation. He stands rather stoic until she finishes, features trained in on her and her words. He shakes his bay crown, coarse tendrils of charcoal flapping about, "You're right, I agree that it would be rather a waste of time. I don't see much sense in tracking her down, only that you might know they may have had intentions of seeking our favor. I think I 'll let the Gates tend to their own, if they can." They were right to do so, he thought. If the silver was any example they probably could use allegiance with those that held a backbone, but why  should the Chamber even offer one? No, there was nothing of gain that he could see, so he chose to decline. He was surprised to be allowed such a decision, he had already earned some faith to be placed in him, and he was feeling pleased with himself. 

He is offered also, several congratulations. He nods, his thanks and acknowledgement, he was growing to like his herd mates very much. Killdare had never really had friends, he had perhaps had a few in his platoon back home, that he preferred over others. None though that he had found himself seeking out the company of, none that he had real concern over after their days training or the fight was done. Yes, perhaps that was what this was. Erebor has much to offer in the way of the world, and he is not disappointed. He thinks best our allies were to be sought with the Velley, Tundra, Amazons, or the Desert. Having not been to any of them, any input from him on that matter would be irrelevant. The boy is smart, far smarter than him. 

Encouragement is met with a simple nod, they were to keep mocks and steals with the Falls friendly. Sure, why not he could do that. So long as they did, he thought sassily. If indeed they got too grabby with the Chamber, he would be sure to return the favor. Others were however, open game. All except the Valley. Now that was more to his interest. He had been trying his hand at steals, though had yet to be successful. The other herds, though few, had kept a vigilant eye on their borders. Blocking his attempts, much to his frustration. He did, however make his own blocks, they had wanted to be off with their Head Diplomat. Well he could not allow that now could he? Negative. He was pleased to barrel in, and give chase to the intruder. He would need to do better at recruiting, though he had thus far refrained. He wasn't one for pretty words, he wouldn't know what to say. Maybe he could just tag along with one of the others, or maybe he would just have to give it his best. All they could do was say no right? He didn't wan't them to say no though, it was different here. The lands, the lords, they recruited herds. Invitation to come see if the place was of their liking. Back home he would have given them their first scrape and sent them running to his father. Join up, or check out. Not much in the way for choices, but  it was the way of the world. At least, parts of the world.

"Friendly competion? Hmmm, whatever they say." he raised a brow. He thought it a bit odd for the Deserts to open themselves up in such a way. However nice you might play, there was always room for vulnerability. Erebor seemed to be on the fence about his opinions of their leader as well. Another Queen. He wondered what had made her so comfortable even allowing so many into their borders? Did she have some certain protection? Perhaps their numbers were far greater than their own, posing ample threat to outsiders who might seek attack on their realm. He would keep his guard up, surely there were those not all that inclined to keep things civil. He wanted to take part absolutely, "When do we start? Send me where you will." He almost danced in place, the commander of their small army he had yet to see, so naturally he turned to her for direction. He loved the Chamber, it had woven its roots tightly around him, but a bit of adventure? That, he was always up for.

Dutiful Soldier|Captain of the Chamber

We are at war. There will be scars.

He listens to his mother as she speaks, carefully marking her words. He's almost surprised when she agrees with him so completely, but he doesn't show it. He wonders whether they agree because they are so similar, or because he's learned from her. If the latter, he regrets nothing, because he has learned from the best.

He can see that she is thinking, that she has plans beyond what she is saying right now. He wonders if she'll share them with him later. For now, her instructions are clear enough, and he nods. He will go to the Deserts (really, he'd known that he would go to the Deserts, it had never been in doubt) and he will represent the Chamber in as many contests as he can. It might be friendly competition, but that doesn't stop him from wanting to dominate and win. Not for himself – he doesn't seek glory in that way – but for the Chamber.

He listens with interest as she goes on to describe the rules for steals and challenges. He has not yet tested himself in formal battle. Perhaps after the Deserts events would be an excellent time to change that. "I'll visit, and I'll enter the events as well." he says once his mother is finished and the others have spoken their peace. "It'll be a great opportunity to test the strength of the other kingdoms, as well as observe."

Erebor

Native Prince of the Chamber

warship x straia

Apparently that needed to happen.