• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane
    He teases me, something that has been as absent in my life as the golden king. The resulting smile comes without thought as he mentions my rescue, and I volley back that: ”You just don’t want anyone to think you’re neglecting your duties again.” I am only returning the harmless jab in kind, but as the winged stallion answers my last question, the playful expression slips from my face.  

I knew little about the Nerinian queen, having only met her the once, on the day we surrendered Klaudius. Her history with Wolfbane is one I hadn’t known, and I am - strangely - curious if they had been more than friends. Probably, I reason internally; it is best for kingdom relations if there are tighter bonds between the monarchs than just alliances and contracts. The thought doesn’t bother me, for I am not a jealous creature. It does strike an interest in looking at Wolfbane again, and I watch as the agile stallion rolls effortlessly beneath me. He’s certainly handsome, but he is the king and I am the Cleric bound to another man.

When he asks about Hyaline I am greatful for the change of subject, even if it is not a topic I am especially fond of.

”I’d only wanted to tip the bargaining scales in our favor,” I tell him. ”I’d already met Ilma, and was going to steal her and immediately release her, with the reminder that she was in Loess’ debt and owed us a favor.”

It had been a simple plan, straightforward and without complexities. A friendly steal wouldn’t have carried with it the debt that a commuted year’s sentence would have, but telling Hyaline this ahead of time would have made the whole exercise pointless. I don’t have to say this aloud, I feel, because Wolfbane has made his position known: if the aim is to advance Loess, most things are forgivable. This had been a rather large thing of course, but the lack of immediate rebuke leads me to think he is not aggravated by my behavior.

”Then Kagerus and Solace threatened us by implying Nerine would turn on us, along with Ischia and Tephra.”Here is where I allowed my pride to get the best of me, and I glance away before I speak, my downcast eyes saying what I won’t. ”I tried to steal her again after that, just to show them we won’t be cowed. I failed, and that same day Ilma stole me. I’ve been their captive since. Ilma expects us to be able to discuss my release without arguing, but if she thinks being ‘ready’ to talk means admitting that I was wrong and she was right, she might have to keep me the whole year.”

Rather than meet his gaze immediately, I attempt to copy his barrel roll. It’s not a move I’m familiar with, but the effort gives me something else to concentrate on other than our conversation. My first attempt is clumsy, but I am beginning to catch on, and by the third try I’m grinning widely.

”Tell me what you have planned,” I respond at last. ”And how I can help.”

Messages In This Thread
    i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 08-30-2018, 10:04 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
    RE: i feel a bad moon rising; wolfbane - by Lepis - 09-05-2018, 06:26 PM