• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  for absenthium
    Growing up was such slow, impatient work. Grace was terribly difficult to achieve when your legs kept changing lengths and your hair hadn’t grown into its full flowy gorgeousness yet and your body was in that lanky in-between stage without the muscle definition for softly curving hips and a long, lovely neck. Vanna stared down at her reflection in the water that wasn’t quite cold enough to freeze over yet, clear green eyes critical and just a little dissatisfied. She lowered her dark muzzle toward the water’s surface, tilting her head to get a better look at her face (pretty enough despite the unflattering angle, pale cream edged in black at the points).

Time. It would take time. Someday she’d be as pretty as Mom, with long, flowing hair and gentle curves and feminine grace. Mom kept saying she just had to be patient, that she’d grow into herself in time. Well that was all well and good, but Mom got to skip this stage, didn’t she? Sleeping away the years from birth to maturity, waking up again full grown and perfect. Vanna huffed an impatient sigh and nudged the water with her muzzle, scattering her reflection into chaos.

Waiting for someday was boring.

“Senny?” she called, raising her head to glance around, green eyes searching for her brother. He was never terribly far, and he always made her feel better, intentionally or otherwise. “I miss you. Come snuggle me.” Nevermind that she’d seen him only hours ago, had started the day curled up against him with her head resting on his shoulder. That was forever ago, after all, and clearly far too long to be alone, without anyone to walk with or talk with or tell her how pretty she was, even if it wasn’t as true as she’d like just yet. Ooh, but she did have wings going for her, sleek and black and shiny, maybe even almost ready to try flying! Nnnot quite, though. Just in case. She wasn’t as graceful as she’d like with all four feet planted firmly on the ground. Imagining herself with no feet on the ground? Just seemed like it was asking for disaster.
    Absenthium

He wasn’t far from where they slept, standing now and looking out with sharp steel-grey eyes. Mom was around and Dad wasn’t, and that’s how he intended to keep it. When your enemy can’t be seen, you have to get sharper, relentless in searching him out. When your enemy is impossibly manipulative, you can’t trust anyone that approaches you. He could've talked anyone into it.

And Sen was making sure not a damn soul was approaching his baby sister.
    Dad wasn’t going to find a way to use her. He’d make sure of it.

His head turned to her when she called for him, gold with sooty cheeks and a mess of black hair. He didn’t answer, only began making his way to her with steady steps on lanky teenage limbs, sheet-white wings catching the sunlight like a beacon as he lifted and stretched them. One day he’d be as thick as Father, and he was getting there, but for now he still had a great deal of his youth showing. There was a great deal of Father in him, but nobody was stupid enough to say it in front of him. He was nothing like Dad.

"Vanna." He reached out with a soft voice, a soft touch to her little forelock, though his body was all hard lines and tense muscles. Maybe he didn't really know how to relax, but it didn't bother him a bit. He'd make sure his Mom and sis were safe, from everything, even the man they love.

His gruff voice was still higher than a man's, coaxing her with a brush against her cheek, "Let's go back into the trees." Where there were fewer eyes on her, fewer people for him to study and watch and analyze. She didn't make it easy to keep her safe, but a girl needs some sunlight, some room to run. Him though, he didn't need much. Just her and Mom. "We can come out again later."

Oh, there he was! Vanna beamed as he made his way over to her, wiggled with delight as he brushed his muzzle against her forelock. “My Senny!” She pressed her face against his neck, rubbed against his chest like a cat happy to see her person after a long day away. “I missed you, did I say?” She did, pretty sure, but still. She cuddled up close as he fussed over her, smiling softly and snuggling the cream of her side against his lovely sooty gold. Her wings rustled to resettle, itching with the growth of new, more grown-up feathers than her fluffy baby down ones.

“What do you wanna do today?” she asked, peeking up at him with a charming little smile and wide green eyes framed in black. “Okay! Are we gonna explore in the woods, or you could tell me a story while we wander wherever our feet wanna take us?” Or both, both would be fantastic! Senny was the smartest, and knew the best stories. She followed his urging toward the forest, not particularly fussed about where he led her. Anywhere was good as long as her big brother was by her side. Or close by.

Him and Momma were pretty much the greatest, and Daddy too of course! Though really, they were kinda the only people she knew. Did that make everyone the greatest? She’d have to experiment and find out. Exploring, just like Senny liked to do! Except maybe exploring people instead of just places. “Or maybe you could take me to the playground today! Momma said that’s where kids go to make new friends, new friends might be fun!”
    Absenthium

A little smile actually broke his firm mouth when she cuddled up against him, tucking his chin down to hug her back. Cutest baby sis in the whole damn world, really.

Cute, and talkative.

He waited until she was done, then nodded.
    Sure. We could go to the playground if you want. It wasn't like he was about to leave her there alone. He'd stay nearby to watch over her, make sure Dad wasn't hanging around. Make sure any idiots stayed away from her. She and Mom were the most important things to him. And Dad definitely wasn't.

Try not to make too many new friends, he teased as he turned them to the playground and began walking. I don't want to have to fight anyone for my time with you. And he totally would.

He'd only been to the playground once, a long time ago, but he still new exactly where it was. Out of habit, he didn't stray far from Mom, but he still made time to step away and learn their surroundings better. To better protect the family. He was the real man of the family, after all. Dad was worthless and they were better off without him. Forever.

We'll have to come back before night, though. So Mom doesn't worry.

Oh, a smile! Each one on Senny’s face was hard-won, and she lit up when his lips curved into the tiniest little smile. She snuggled even closer, hummed a happy little hum, and just enjoyed being close to her very favorite big brother. “The playground does sound nice, don’t you think?” she asked, her voice distracted and dreamy as she basked in his cozy embrace. “Maybe you and me could make some friends, huh?”

Not too many friend though, eh? She laughed softly and nudged him gently with her nose, following where he led. “Never never. You’ll always be my favorite person to spend time with. Just Momma said friends are nice, so maybe we could both try?” She was pretty sure she was Senny’s only friend, and he was certainly hers. Not that she minded; clearly she’d gotten the best friend the first time around, and any other attempts were practically a waste. Still, Momma didn’t want them to be lonely, and maybe she had a point.

‘Course Vanna couldn’t think of any friends Momma had either. Huh.

Anyhow! She beamed up at Senny and walked alongside him, bumping against him now and again just ‘cause he was there and she loved him and she could. “Sure, Senny. We don’t want Momma to worry. Where’s her friends? Or are friends a kid thing?” Maybe you grew up and it was just family?