• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i am loathed to say it's the devil's taste; toli pony

bitterness is thick like blood and cold as a wind sea breeze
    if you must drink of me, take of me what you please

He doesn’t understand her and that frustrates him.

She talks in gibberish half the time, spouting off things like they were universal truths instead of some wild fantasy that only lives in her head. The other half of the time she sullen and quiet, narrowing her eyes at him and glaring as though he was the one who had been chasing her for who knows how long. (Of course, he had chased her, but he doesn’t stop to think of such things.) Instead, he lets the irritation grow in him, blossoming like a rose, branching out through his veins to turn his expression darker.

“Tell me the truth,” he finally grinds out between clenched teeth, something dark beginning to move around his ankles, darker even than the pitch of the manipulated night around them. His shoulder is dark and the air around them is thick with the scent of it, but he has not begun to pay the price he would pay to learn the truth of the fox before him. “Tell me the truth or I will pry it from your mind myself.”

But she dares to command him and his emerald eyes sharpen with a rare fury.

“Try to tell me what to do again,” he snarls, usually impassive face turning into something uglier. In response, he reaches for the borders just recently resurrected and begins to draw them closer around them, letting the weight of them cause a squeal as they grate against the ground. There is still enough room for her to move, but less so and he holds the magic of it between his fingers still as he glares down at her.

“Tell me the truth,” he repeats, slower now, the syllables each weighed and then given.

“Who are you?”

A pause, a muscle twitching in his powerful jaw.

“Why are you running?”

woolf

I am loathed to say it's the devil's taste

Münfaede
    When the dawn comes...

Everything darkened as his frustration rose; his face, the space around them, the shadows at his feet. Her eyes darted everywhere, then landed on him again, those vibrant emerald eyes that gleamed like a poison.

"Tell me the truth," he nearly growled, the coppery tang of blood in the air with them, tainting this with an added level of tension. But it was the truth. What else was she supposed to tell him? Everything? Obviously, she could not do that. Would not. "Tell me the truth or I will pry it from your mind myself."

Well, why the hell hadn't he, then? And perhaps her scowl said it for her.
    It was swiftly wiped from her face and replaced with fear, though. She'd upset him, commanded him to set her free. She wouldn't make that mistake again. Not at least for a few more minutes..

The invisible walls around them screamed closer, nearer, tightening their shared cage. She backed up anyway, shuffling to a corner. Thick, white fur flattened against the unseen walls, her silver eyes wild. He hadn't hurt her yet, but would he? Would she push him far enough? She should've handled this better. Each experience, she was learning so much more.

She was so inexperienced.

He was glaring down at her, and she swallowed hard. The truth. He still wanted the truth. She had given it, only not all of it. But why should she? She shouldn't. No matter how frightening he was. And as his jaw clenched, so did hers, mirroring his glare too while she was at it.

"Who are you? Why are you running?"
    She refused to answer! He would get her killed.
    She fought for survival.

She snarled, delicate lips curling up over sharp little teeth, and the noise itself was not much of anything. Fight overcame flight, and she readied herself. Her muscles coiled, pinched tight, then set loose, flying at his feet to run beneath him. Furry and furious, she stopped short, reached up to his taller belly and latched on with a purring little growl, digging her jaws into him as deep as she could.

Perhaps, if he bled enough, these walls would fail him.

...and the moon fades
    | Münfaede |

bitterness is thick like blood and cold as a wind sea breeze
    if you must drink of me, take of me what you please

She fights and that delights him as much as it infuriates him.

He watches as she lungs, feeling her slip underneath his belly and reach up to bite at the tender flesh, tearing it open. His blood splatters the ground beneath him, slipping out of him easily and he does nothing to stop it. Instead, he just snarls, reaching down to bite at her and lifting up into a half rear before stomping on the ground—hard. His heavy hooves land harder than they have any right to, the ground trembling beneath his manipulated weight. Sparks fly in the darkness as his growl echoes around them.

Without hesitating, he shifts, turning into a mulberry dire wolf, emerald eyes predatory.

He rolls with the impact, twisting with momentum and then lunging for her again.

It’s not a fair fight—

He knows it’s not.

But he also can’t stop from rising to her challenge, goaded into more action than he thought possible. She snarls and yips and slashes out and he doesn’t hold himself back, mouth gaping open and snapping shut, aiming for whatever part of her he can reach. “You are impossible,” he snarls as they fight, his bright eyes flashing in the darkness. All she needs to do is tell him the truth, let him know why she behaves the way she does and he would stop, but she insists on withholding, on keeping it from him.

Eventually though, he stops, breaking from her and opening up a space in between them.

He throws up an invisible barrier between them, enough to keep them from reaching one another but not enough to make it difficult to communicate. Blood flows freely from his shoulder and his belly, caused by both his own powers and her teeth alike and matting his fur. “Enough.” His voice is harsh and he lets it sit there for a moment before he takes a steadying breath. “Fine. Don’t tell me.”

All of the barriers, both between them and around them, fall, dust pluming as their invisible weight sinks into the earth. Similarly, his hold on the night loosens, the unnatural darkness beginning to lighten around them, dawn beginning to make itself known on the horizon. He glances toward it, the rays just beginning to peek, and then he looks back to her, his face unreadable. “You should hurry. It will be light soon.”

The same hungry curiosity still growls in his stomach but he ignores it and steps back, letting her pass.

woolf

I am loathed to say it's the devil's taste

Münfaede
    When the dawn comes...

One moment he was a large horse, sparks flying and igniting with his rage as she attacked him. The next, he was throwing those hooves to the ground, shifting with a liquid roll into a large wolf and lunging for her. "You are impossible!" he snarled at her, his teeth clamping down across her little shoulders and her feet kicking out violently in retaliation. He didn't damage her too badly though, only a deep bruise that may have her limping for the next few days, a small puncture that began slowly bleeding.

"Fine. Don't tell me," he said sharply as they both stopped fighting, breathing hard. He bled from more places than she had attacked and she narrowed her eyes briefly, belatedly connecting that it may be a price he paid for his magic. The Unicorns didn't have costs like that. But she could still be wrong. She wasn't sure what else might cause it though.

The barriers around them fell away completely, marked by how the dust lifted and slowly settled where they had once been. Freedom! Her eyes leveled with his, small chest heaving with short breaths as she watched him warily. She could run. She could run now!

The darkness lightened suddenly, his magic swept away, and her eyes flew to the sky to measure how late, or rather, how early it had gotten, her eyes widening slightly. No! Not here, not with him. Not near him.

"You should hurry. It will be light soon."

She looked at him, watched him step deliberately aside as if to let her pass. But no, she wouldn't risk that. How silly he was. Her little jaws clenched tight, silver eyes gleaming, then she turned on her heels to run off in another direction. She would put as much distance between them as she could before it took her, before she was defenseless.

Before she was vulnerable.

She still had a chance. She still had time. A few minutes, at least, she guessed from another furtive glance at the sky. Far away, just get far away. Somewhere hidden. Damn! She'd always made sure to find a place well in advance, scope it out for possible threats she might find before her memory would return, find herself a safe place where her screams might be too far to attract attention, too muffled in a dense forest.

She hadn't been able to do that tonight, crossing him too early in her night-dawn to have the chance. A makeshift shelter would have to do. She could find somewhere quick. She had to.

...and the moon fades
    | Münfaede |