• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  don't be scared, sing your song, bring your soul to it; rhaegor
    Listening and following directions were both very boring, and so was staying put. Plus, she needed lots more practice making her feet less trippy, and the best way to do that was to try, right? Right. So she wandered off away from the Meadow toward the big tall white-capped green that looked oh, so inviting. She wasn’t really sure why, mind you, but it tugged at her chest, making her think warm, cozy, safe thoughts. And warm was suuuper helpful, ‘cause it was shivery-cold and she had only her baby fluff to keep her snuggly warm. Baby fluff and a warm belly that was maybe still leftover from her encounter with the fairy bug that had pointed her down the mountain and toward the Meadow in the first place.

Anyhows. She’d rested up and was ready to have an adventure, and so she wandered off toward the big tall green. Or really, it didn’t look so big and tall at first, just a smudge on the horizon where the ground met the pretty blue sky. It wasn’t really ‘til she got much closer that it looked like more than just a smudge, and it wasn’t ‘til she got really close that she realized it was LOTS more than a smudge, and was in fact very much taller than she was. And wider, and deeper, and just bigger in all the directions. Still, the shade looked nice and inviting, and she liked the way the sun beamed down and trickled through the branches overhead, leaving dappley patterns on the ground for her to pounce and stomp on and dance through, making a game of just stepping on the shadows or the light in turn.

She wandered deep into the forest, not paying a whole lot of attention to where exactly she was going, following that gentle little coaxing tug on her chest, humming a whimsical little tune as she bounced from one bit of sun to the next. “Hm hm hmmm,” a new note with each touch of hoof to earth, pale silvery gold eyes wide and a grin on her little baby face. “I like trees, trees are nice, trees make the wind behaaa--oof!” Her sing-songy little ditty ended abruptly when she discovered a very important reason why trees were less nice than she had originally thought.

Roots.

She glowered at the offending meanie-headed tripper beast, and stuck out her tongue. “Trees are jerks with nasty feets, and nobody liiikes themmm!” she growl-sang, ears pinned back and brow furrowed. “You? Are a butthead. And you don’ even have a butt, OR a head, so that’s gotta be saying something. I’m going ‘way now. Don’ follow me,” she huffed, clambering to her feet and scurrying away from the tricksy, tripsy tree. “Rude,” she muttered, glancing back over at it after a careful look at the ground ahead of her to make sure there were no more rude roots to reach out and play pranks on unsuspecting babies.
    Well. For every word that Rhaegor couldn't say, this girl said six. Sometimes she even sang them - he'd heard Mothers singing of course, lullabies when they'd been quite younger (considering that the triplets now approached the year mark) but this girl's singing made absolutely no sense, or at least, it was entirely impractical. When the girl face planted, a silent laugh rolled through his noiseless lungs; he did give a pause to check if she'd hurt herself, but he hoped no one had seen, because caring was so uncool.

What a teen; he must really be channeling his inner Abysm right now.

The trees are naked - at least the deciduous ones - and so his hiding place really doesn't hide him, but on the other hand, people don't usually expect to see horses in trees. He's splayed out across to branches, perfectly balanced (though the balancing involved teetering, falling, bruises and scratches), wings confidently tucked at his side as if that'll somehow lend him the elegance he so desperately wants in this exact moment. But by the looks of the incredibly young girl down below, elegance wasn't exactly on her agenda anyway.

Wanting to get her attention but not being able to for obvious reason, the growing colt considered slamming his wing against the tree trunk, but thought better of it when a single muscular flex nearly sent him tumbling. Frowning, Rhaegor peered down between the naked branches and, from the center of his chest, let glow a harmless but evident beam of light, right in front of the girl, who'd just been so gleefully hopping from light-spot to light-spot moments before.

Oh, god, he thought to himself as a vision ran unbidden through his mind of a painted-with-yellow girl dashing through this very forest. She's going to chase it.

@[Xero]
    [Image: rhae]
    Xero made one last grumpy huff at the RUDE root that trippified her. At least it wasn’t following her. She wouldn’t have been the tiniest bit surprised by that level of tricksitude, but thankfully the root was at least mostly good and stuck in the ground. So there. Couldn’t chase her and catch her and make her fall all over again, the jerkface meaniebutt.

Hey, she was getting better at that! Plus her feet were maybe cooperating better than they did earlier today! So that was good too. Maybe it’d get easier the more she tried, ‘cause like, pretty blue-haired lady walked without falling on her face and she was big and musta had lots of practice. Maybe! Maybe her feet wouldn’t be trippy forever.

OH! Ooooh, a dancy little beam of light!

She beamed right back at it, crouching and wiggling her tail, which made her whole butt wiggle. “Hold still!” she told it with a stern little huff, and pounced! Yeah, no, he was right, she was definitely gonna chase it. “C’mere! I wanna catch you!” And she set off to at least attempt to do just that. If it danced merrily away, she absolutelyyyy gave chase, following it without the slightest attention paid to where she was going.

((lol feel free to have fun with that :| I mean I’m super nice to my characters XD Sorry this is super short, she’s a baby and yeah. :| Not so great at stringing long words together yet.))

@[Rhaegor]
    And as his vision had predicted, the little yellow creature crouches upon seeing the lights and gives the buttwiggle of the century. A series of clicks issue from the colt's mouth at the sight of it, passing for any other kind of forest noise. Oh shit! His mirth-closed eyes almost miss the girl's vicious pounce, and Rhae barely scoots the dancy light beam away in time to make her chase it.

Of course, what he hasn't calculated for is how on earth he's going to be able to see behind him to get the light beam away from her.

In the craning of his sinewy neck, a single one of Rhae's hooves slips - and in the next moment he is dramatically falling down the tree branches, rung by rung, wings all ahoo and feathers flying everywhere as he must wordlessly suffer the embarrassment of a lifetime. At least it's only a baby watching. But the bruises are going to be a mighty strong reminder to him in later years about why horses should never perch in trees, even big strong ones - the whole getting out of them business is just about fatal.

In the end, he's legs-up on the forest floor, ice melting against the skin of his spine, wings bent at odd angles and feathers even worse as the appendages stretch outward and upward and everywhere. His head is lifted at first to stare at the yellow girl in concussed wonder, perhaps thinking this all a dream and she an angel sent to guide him to wherever the hell will make these bruises stop hurting -- but he comes to a moment later, and with the loudest sigh he can muster, Rhae settles his head directly into a puddle just behind him, squeezing his eyes shut and wishing he were anywhere else right now.

@[Xero]
    Yessss! The dancy beam of light wiggled away so enticingly, and Xero pounced after it, bounding with unrestrained glee and trying so hard to catch it. It was tricksy and elusive, but that didn’t stop her from giving it her very bestest shot, and rushing after it with bouncy, excited little hops until--oh!

The light beam was utterly forgotten with the loud crash of a whole person falling out of the sky! “Oh my goodness!” Xero exclaimed, racing over to make sure he wasn’t broked. “Are you okay? That is a very long way to fall!” She skidded to a halt right in front of him and immediately started fussing over him, brushing his hair off his face, nosing at his pretty wings to make sure they weren’t hurt.

“Oh, my poor friend! The ground is hard, and trees look nice but they’re sneaky mean! You gotta be careful. I know, they trippified me too with their tricksy, so rude roots, and made me tumble all the way down to the ground and smash my poor face. Are you alright?”

She nudged a few feathers back into place with her nose, and plucked a little branch out of his mane with her teeth. Tossed it to the ground, gave it one good stomp, and huffed, “No, bad stick. He’s not your friend, he’s my friend, and I’m not gonna share with you. You did not play nice with him. Go away.”

And then of course her attention was back on her brand new friend, who she nudged gently to make sure he was actually still alive though. “Sorry about that. Sometimes you gotta teach ‘em ‘cause they got bad manners. Look how they let you fall and didn’t even catch you at all! That is very inconsiderate. I would’ve caught you but you woulda smushed me good. Hi, my name’s Xero! You wanna be my friend?”

I kept my hope just like i'd hoped to
    then sang to the sea for feelings deep blue

As the melting ice makes him feel like he'll never stop having brain freeze for the rest of his life, the sound of the girl's reaction to his dramatic tumble buffets his ears. But she doesn't stop there, oh no! As he cracks a single ashen eye to watch as she approaches, her words continue tumbling out - and then, then she leans down and starts preening him! It's all so much that Rhae feels he'll never get a word in edgewise.

Oh wait.

As her baby voice tumbles around them and seemingly bounces off the surrounding trees, the most Rhae can do is move his wings closer to her so she doesn't fall as she clambers about trying to straighten his everything. His legs feel funny sticking straight up like this, and he wonders if after a while they'll just fall off; but the thought is juvenile, present probably because of his current jovial company, and he brushes it aside in as angry-teenager a fashion he can muster.

When the girl snags a twig from his mane and goes on to physically and verbally abuse it, Rhae finds himself totally awake, both eyes stuck on the girl in a sort of fascinated horror as her little episode plays out. She is nothing like him or his siblings! Or maybe is this how young people are supposed to act... He squeezes his eyes shut as a headache takes over him, then opens them again when he realizes that he's still laying in a half-frozen mud puddle.

And the girl is still talking.

It's as she's talking semantics about having caught him in an alternate dimension that he finally heaves himself up off of the forest floor, gingerly struggling first to his forelegs and then to his hind, wings held like soggy and stinky rags. He glances at them despairingly, but in the end has no choice but to fold them into his side, mud or no mud. It's as they're finally settling that he zones in to what his would-be saviour's spiel, catching both her name and her final question.

Xero, he thinks. Pretty.

And to her question? The boy offers a stare, and then a nod. There's no use in being mean; plus, he'd been the one perched in a tree. It's not her fault that he's so stupid dumb sometimes.

Rhaegor