• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  and in my dreams i've kissed your lips a thousand times // Wolfbane
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

Although I can't expect the world to always go my way, the fact that there'd be so much political angst for Hyaline (previously the least politically angsty kingdom of them all) during my first - and devastating - fight with my wife, happened to be just fuck awful. But looking back, even if what Solace and I had said to Loess had been a bit harsh, I wouldn't take back a word of it. It was true, and it still is. Hyaline has big friends, and with them beside us, a big bite.

But whatever. People don't like to have the facts given to them or something, like to live up in their ego; and for today, I'll have to come down out of mine.

The original plan had been for Solace to meet with the king of Loess, given that she has a much calmer disposition than me - and is relatively more stubborn - and that she knows Wolfbane too. But she'd fallen under the weather this morning, telling me in a scratchy voice that if I fucked this up she'd never forgive me. Which she followed up with a kiss. I smile remembering it...

But in the next moment, I am entering the field - where I have invited sir Wolf to join me - and the smile disappears. I rest for a moment near the outskirts, eyeing those who mill about the place themselves. When my gaze snags on one whose appearance is easily recognized based on description alone, I toss my antlers high and trot to approach. His bright yellow and blue colouring caught my eye, and he stands just barely shorter than me; but I still hold his gaze evenly, unperturbed and certainly not threatened by the Loessian's stature.

After all, it's not him with whom I have an issue.

"Greetings, Wolfbane," I offer as I settle before him. The snow beneath us chills my ankles, but I do not shuffle my hooves. "Thank you for agreeing to meet me here. I'm sorry that Solace couldn't make it; I hope that you don't mind having to deal with me instead." A wolfish grin overtakes my features. "I promise I'm just as diplomatic as my lovely counterpart." Which is... mostly true, anyway.

"As you know, Lepis is currently being held captive in Hyaline. To begin with, I think there were some misunderstandings; but frankly, I'm not going to waste time debating the whys and hows of how these steals played out. I am more interested in establishing how we move forward from here."

I pause, inhaling and exhaling in a billow of steam. "What are your intentions with Hyaline, aside from Lepis' ordeal? Solace and I and our council have established terms for her release, if you'd like to hear them. But as a political whole, the landscape of Beqanna is changing." I pause, wondering whether to reveal my knowledge about Sylva or to keep it a secret. For now, I choose the latter, though my significant gaze ought to be somewhat - or totally - telling. "And if we could establish something as a certainty between our nations, that would be appreciated."

@[Wolfbane] turns out I can't do snappy. I guess what I meant was dialogue heavy lmao.
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

WOLFBANE

Solace or Kagerus; he doesn’t care. They’re one in the same entity, really, and his message will get across clearly no matter who hears it. Because he must, Bane nods lowly at her greeting but there’s no matching wit or gleam to his eye at her flippant joke on personal diplomatic skills. The winged stallion only takes her in for good measure with his olive-colored eyes, and listens with a hard-set mouth to what she has to say.

“I’m sure it would be appreciated.” He responds in short measure, “But Loess works for herself alone. Unless, of course, you’ve come with something to barter for that certainty, I fear this meeting might end in disappoint for you and yours.”

They seem to think, for some reason, that they have the upper hand. Ilma has already made an irreparable mistake in allowing for Lepis to return home for a day (part of him wonders if his own Cleric and her gifts are responsible for such an action), and he thinks Hyaline’s advisor will continue to be a weak point for the once thriving northern kingdom. No matter; their loss is his gain.

Never was there an agreement that Loess would overlook the ‘neutral’ territory, just because of their contract with Nerine or because once upon a time, Arthas tried his best to play both fields. On the contrary, Nerine works for them - until the new year - and Hyaline would have done well to place themselves next in line for a deal.

“It does, however, sadden me that these are the political climates in which we meet for the first time.” Wolfbane offers, a note of sincerity ringing in the otherwise monotone delivery, “I truly believe an agreement made after Ilma had come to us the first time would’ve been fantastic …” The Pegasus nearly sighs, a somewhat tired-looking smile flickering to life over his stoic exterior.

But the white mare of Hyaline had asked too much and offered little to nothing in return.

“That being said, if you have no concrete idea about what this ‘something’ between our kingdoms might be, and if you did not come to contract Loess out, I have only this to say: Lepis is to be returned to us forthwith and in complete health. In doing so, I’ll be happy to forget how you overstepped your bounds and threatened empty repercussions over a failed steal.”

“Unless you wish to awaken to your bedmate pressing a knife to your impulsive throat.” He thinks silently.

|| The Pirate Lord of Loess ||

@[Kagerus] looks like Bane is just as chatty lol
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]
    Kagerus

He's clearly not as receptive as I'd've hoped, but we can't always have nice things. I trudge forward with my niceties regardless, intent on displaying the true neutrality of Hyaline, even if it made me seem two faced. I don't have to explain my marital problems to the local monarchies; let them talk shit about me behind my back. I have Solace now; forever.

And I have the scar to show for it, from ear to nostril, a slash across my face to remind me that I am nothing without her.

He speaks to the disappointment I'm sure to receive, but frankly, I have very little expectation for Loess. When I arrived here in Beqanna, the one who is now my captive had 'ruled'; then Arthas came, but with him, no threat or activity. Although I hold more respect for the yellow stallion before me, it goes without being said that if he wants his kingdom to be a force to be reckoned with, they'll have to do something more.

But more doesn't mean war.

He next speaks with more ingenuity, though follows the sincerity up with useless bantering about my councilwoman. My ears flick distastefully at the mention of it, though certainly not because he brought it up, more because I'm not exactly a fan of what I've heard of Ilma's doings. But the rest of my face stays carefully composed, the flick of my ear easily waved away as catching the sound of a foal whining to their mother not far off.

"I appreciate that we can recognize the unfortunate nature of our meeting," I begin evenly once he has finished. "And I furthermore recognize that that does not excuse the actions of my kingdom." Or yours, I add silently.

"I came here today to offer you a half-sentence release of Lepis." I pause, a significant moment; but it is clear I have more to say. "However your child-queen is being a pain in my ass. That being said, I'd love for her to stop being a pain in my ass. That being said, the last time I assumed that Loess and Hyaline were on ass-painless terms, Lepis was trying to steal my highest ranking diplomat for a full term without reasoning or impetus."

"I'm more than inclined to return her to you if you want her so badly. However, I'm going to need some clarification on where forgetting gets us."

@[Wolfbane] I forgot to mention that her face is like, horribly disfigured now.
    dreamweaver

WOLFBANE

Here they are, discussing the “how’s” and “why’s” of Lepis’ actions, just as Kagerus had declared she wouldn’t. Diplomacy had always infinitely aggrieved Wolfbane, and it shows in the twinge of irritation that taints his following reply:

“In her own fashion Lepis was trying to give you exactly what you wanted, but she was restrained by the necessity of my orders that nothing was to be given freely from Loess.

Had her steal been successful, Ilma would’ve had a nice vacation and been sent on her merry way - a clean deal between our kingdoms brokered over her immediate release - and Hyaline would have the peace you claim you so desperately seek.”

Pride, though, had blinded the northern Queens to this possibility; they’d only seen a threat when they should’ve seen an easy opportunity. And yet, they persist with dragging his Cleric through the mud, as if somehow this will soften Bane’s thoughts against them. He could spit for disgust at Kagerus blatant arrogance, but somehow he manages to hold his composure and with the flick of his blanched tail, chooses instead to think about the end goal.

“It leaves us at square one, your highness.  Nothing gained and nothing lost.” He feels like he’s spelling it out for a child, “I’m not the repetitive type, either. I want Lepis home, now. Afterwards we can return to the topic of how our people are going to benefit from one another, while adhering to Loess’ standards of equal trade for equal goods and services.”

And that was final, for him at least. The striped pegasus would give her the benefit of a reply in the form of a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’, with the added hope that she might return home to fashion an idea of exactly what Hyaline wanted and how they were going to achieve it.

@[Kagerus] inwardly he’s wondering where he can get a gnarly scar too; *jealous*
    Kagerus

He speaks to me as if I'm a child; perhaps I ought to be more used to men speaking to me in this way, but my single father raised me in the Jungle. That's not to say of course that I didn't experience patronizing condescension from the women therein - but it's different coming from the mouth of a stallion ten years your younger and far less experienced in the realm of ruling a kingdom.

But we all start somewhere. My composure stays unaffected as he speaks, even when he insists on emphasizing words as if to do so will help me better understand his Superior Logic.

"And I'm sure you're saying that to cover your asses since the steal fell flat." The words fall bluntly, any pretense of anything more than civility long since gone. Wolfbane goes on to explain their original intent of the steal, and I speak again. "We couldn't have known that. We have a duty to ourselves before we have one to you. We were not going to stand idly by in the face of a max-sentence steal."

He addresses me next with a flamboyant and unneeded title; my patience draws thin. He lectures me, as if he has the upper hand here.

"If I trusted your kingdom to be thoughtful of their actions at square one before, I certainly don't now." After all, at square one, they tried to steal Ilma - and there's no way to know whether their little story about letting her go afterward is a cover up or not. Either way, square one just puts Hyaline in jeopardy again. Square one means teaching Loess that Hyaline is to be fucked with. "If you aren't willing to establish at the very least a cease-fire between our nations, then Lepis will remain in Hyaline for as long as my council decides. You offer us nothing for her return; change that, and I'll reconsider your plea."

He wants a discussion later, I want one now; unfortunately for him, I'm the one calling the shots.

Waiting a moment to see if he'll budge, I hold his eyes for one second longer before turning and going. It'll be a long winter yet.

@[Wolfbane] I'm assuming he wouldn't budge, but if I'm wrong just write another post and she'll not leave Smile
    dreamweaver

WOLFBANE

“Something tells me you wouldn’t enjoy me bending your Kingdom in half and going in raw." Wolfbane laughs at her retreating form, almost pleased she’s decided to throw away the false ideologies in favor of her true nature. “Is that a good enough offer for you?” He questions, stepping forward to block her path.

She could take the advance however she would like; he wasn’t quite done with her yet.

“You believe you deserve peace? That Hyaline is due neutrality just because they claim they’ll be ‘nice’? Or perhaps you’re just covering your asses,” The winged horse barks, choosing a play on Kagerus ‘word of the day’, “because it looks as if your peace is useless to me. It always has been.”

Bane’s gaze turns away; he doubts the other monarch was truly threatened by his actions anyway, given her demeanor throughout their conversation. “Peace in Beqanna is piss in a pot.” The stallion grumbles. “This ceasefire …” He draws on, glancing ‘round to pin her with a glinting, almost regretful stare, “For how long? Both steals and challenges?”

@[Kagerus] Just wanted to get up something quick since i'll be busy tomorrow!!
    Kagerus

He stops me, and I oblige him. I certainly wouldn't have to; the sharpened prongs atop my skull speak to that; but he's not lost my respect yet. I hold his aze evenly as he barks at me, rough and male and passionate. Loess has a good leader. I'll give them that much.

"If you feel comfortable targeting a sanctuary, then this has nothing to do with our neutrality. We protect our refugees. That doesn't translate to inaction." There's a glint in my eye, but I hold my tongue from lashing emotionally. I take a deep inhale when he turns his gaze away, trying to steady my heart as it hammers in my chest; patience.

A grumble returns me to the situation at hand, and I perk my ears to hear him considering the ceasefire. "Both steals and challenges, unless they are without consequence. I won't deny our subjects' the opportunity to practice." A sigh pulls from deep within my lungs, and I look away. "Ideally, Wolfbane, the ceasefire would be indefinite. Peace in Beqanna is a piss pot but it's what we want - it's what Hyaline wants." I look back to him. "And in exchange for peace between our nations, on top of returning Lepis, we will not join our allies in any offensive maneuver against you."

"I can't speak to the refugees of our land, but our members would be but observers. What say you, Wolfbane?"

@[Wolfbane] not sure if this makes sense but let me know!
    *basically, even if loess goes to war against all of hyaline's allies, hyaline will still not do anything. like extra peace lol.
    dreamweaver

WOLFBANE

Unbidden, the gaze he’d kept so remotely controlled up until this point begins to focus on the scar that paints Kagerus’ face like a horrible omen. Without reason he wonders what could possibly be worth the inflicted pain or constant reminder, and then he gives pause to consider what in his own life would be worth such a blow.

Loess is.

He thinks of Lepis, first. How if she were here, the two-toned mare would be screaming expletive phrases along the lines of death threats - (what, exactly, could Hyaline do to her anyways?) - and then the rest of them trickle in. Arthas, with a blunt attitude and even duller sense of calm when it came to playing nice. Dayé and her second skin, finally given a purpose and the extreme freedom her nature craved. Vulgaris with his hunger for something more, always something more. Rey, who seemed to flip the bird at death and life simultaneously. Sawtooth, his final sibling, and her dependency on his strength and guidance.

Titus, the up-and-coming he hopes will soon find a spot in ranks; His mentor’s children - Mary, Delta, and he thinks Venus? - who call Loess their home. Even Kaurma slips into Bane’s thoughts without him really wanting her there (typical), but he knows all the same how she functions.

What would they say?

“I’m sorry, Kagerus.” He huffs, decidedly honest in the admission before he turns those curious eyes away away from her scar, “But what I want and what Loess needs are two entirely separate matters.”

“Our collective dreams are bigger than neutrality. It’s worked for us thus far, so it’ll just have to continue to be that way. I’ll fight for Lepis the best way I know how, but I won’t roll over for her.” He determines aloud, sick of Loess’ history for showing her belly when Beqanna bared her teeth.

Someday he believes respect can grow between them - Hyaline and her foothills sibling, Loess - it’s just that today won’t be that day. Bane gives her another nod, it could be months before the two cross paths again, and then he clears her path to trot out into the bitterly cold expanse of the field, unfurling his wings and taking to the clouded, winter-gray skies.

@[Kagerus] This thread was #everything and Bane is growing so much from it <3