• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Twist on battling?
    So recently I joined a D&D group (that's dungeons and dragons and yes, it's awesome and everyone just give it a try) and one of my favorite things about D&D is the play-by-play battle system they use.

It does involve dice rolling but not just a regular 4-sided die all the time, which means *variety* yay.
    Also, the type of D&D die rolled depends on your spells/abilities which could transfer over to magic/traits here.

Basic breakdown is:
    -roll for initiative (who goes first)
    -Either move your position or take action (both require one full turn)
    -roll for a hit or roll for a dodge (depending on the trait used/character you're battling a certain roll # must be achieved by using a D20, so if you roll and it's anything under that number, then the turn is 'unsuccessful'.)
    -receive damage; repeat. (If the D20 roll is successful, you then roll D4, D6, or D8 depending on trait level - or more than one die, so you could also do one D6 for 1-space, two D6 for 2-space, etc. Most characters in D&D start out with 25 HP that raises with each level gained. This would be the only number that would need tracked, as opposed to the many stats we had before)

Our traits are already ranked 0-4 on levels so that might make it easier to determine which actions would cause more damage/need a higher roll #/how many die, or what type of die is rolled.

This could also be easily mixed in with post-battling:
    -Player A gives stats and challenges
    -Player B accepts and also gives stats
    -Roll for initiative by Mod
    -Player A must short-post the action or move
    -Player B must short-post a return action or dodge
    -Roll for successful hit and give out damage to HP
    -repeat until one player loses

There's SO much more that could be added in over time (roll with advantage/disadvantage, falling 'prone' from a direct hit, rolling a D20 is like, *special af* ...) making this method detailed and more in-depth, plus to boot this method works even better with more characters added to the battle.
    For mocks the NPC could be used more often, creating terrible creatures to face off where more than one character can be involved.

Idk, mostly these are late night thoughts but I've been mulling it over for a while and I think it could be worthwhile looking into. For the avid reader (like myself) this Compendium gives a total overview of the methods used via D&D.

Thoughts???
    -Sporadic-
    Apothica • Tiberios
    So this is a cool idea for sure, but given how unpopular battle stats were we aren’t sure if this is totally right for BQ. If you guys want to play around with it in mock some that would be fine, or if you want to flesh out a purely dice based system as an alternative to writing we’d be open to that as well. We just aren’t sure how well writing and dice will mix.
    Well, if I may add to the discussion? Smile.

I used to play on a site with dice-based battle writing. The basic idea is everyone gets to roll for a move; 1 is a miss, 2 a graze, 3-4 partial hit, 5-6 a full hit. If a (full) dodge was attempted instead of a counterattack, same rule was applied. After the roll we wrote the attack and with the die outcome as guideline one would write about the amount of damage taken.
    It relies on everyone’s ability to post the outcome of the die roll fairly without rerolling, however, but it did work there. For official challenges maybe officers should roll and I don’t know if you’re willing to do that every round... So I guess the combination isn’t totally un-doable but it may be hard to do it here for official challenges is all I’m saying Smile.

But perhaps, something similar to the card stealing option could also be applied, that might be based on traits and amount of mocks/challenges in the past even, which could fit better here?