• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I’m gonna stand here in the ache; vulgaris
    I see a ghost out on the water; I swear it has my face
    I bend and drink the lonely down, the lonely down

For all of its scars, Leliana’s heart should be more guarded than it is. 

Perhaps she is foolish. 

Perhaps she should hide it away, lock it up, keep it safe. Perhaps she should not let it leap into her throat whenever she sees the scaled stallion walking up or when she feels the beginning rustles of their child growing in her stomach. Perhaps she should be wise. 

But she is not. 

She cannot be. 

Vulgaris agreed to take her home and while she has come to embrace the wild beauty of the land, the truth is that she has made his heart her true home. Every second with him, she sinks further and further into his embrace—ignoring the pain of that which he hides away, that which he does not share. In his presence, she smoothes over the edges of her worry. 

She is grateful, she reminds herself, for whatever he can give. She is grateful for the sweetness, the tenderness, the softness in his hard-angled face. She is grateful for the tidbits that he shares and the calm she finds with her cheek against his back. 

She wants more, but she doesn’t ask for it. She wants to unfold the map of his heart and trace the constellations within it. She wants to know all of the different shadows and caves and dark corners. She wants to know the sharp edges. The haunted pieces. The places where she can knick her finger and draw blood. The places that could gut her. 

He holds such truth back from her and so she mourns, but only in private. 

Such as this morning, when the winter air bites and the sky is grey. Her lovely face is calm but inside, storms rage. Old wounds break open. Fears begin to permeate her mind. All of the different ways that he could destroy her. All of the ways she could break along his fault lines.

All of the ways that she would let him. 

In some ways, she is in love with a shadow. With the smoke of him. She reaches for him but grasps onto nothing, leaving a bitter ache in her stomach. It sinks deep and it’s only when she feels the smallest kick of their daughter that she is able to pierce the veil of her own fear. 

She cranes her neck to look at the rounded edges of her stomach, fuller now and clearly showing signs of child. It’s enough to bring a dreamy smile to her face. 

To remind her of what he has given her. 

Crimson wings of down turn to crimson wings of snake, and they rest across her back as she tips her head to look to the stormy sky. This was enough, she thinks. 

It has to be.

I’m gonna stand here in the ache until the levee on my heart breaks

@[vulgaris]

Hi! I jumped ahead a little. I hope that’s okayyy. <3
    [Image: avatar-1975.gif]
    the heaviness in my heart belongs to gravity
    Vulgaris
    "  when she's coming for my heart it feels like armageddon. "

His greed has become a sickness in him, turning him to something new. Today he is shame incarnate while she is grace on earth. If Vulgaris is a monster (and he is, he is) then she is the fair maiden he lures into his terrible lair. And she comes along so readily as if he could offer her even a fraction of the happiness she deserves. Could she still proclaim her love when she sees dried blood caked all across him? Would she still trust in him when she can’t look him in the eye without staring also at the fresh new wounds like jagged lines across his face.

Here it is, the secret he keeps locked away from everyone.
    Gather ‘round and stare in awe at the creature of Loess.

But she is so heavy with their child that he can’t bear to be away from her for much longer. She’s better than sleep when she’s nearby and he lays awake watching her for hours. Dreams are nothing compared to her so he forgoes them for as long as he may. This is why he seeks her out when he returns home despite his condition. He’ll have no choice but to confess at least some of the darkness he tries to keep leashed and chained within.

He keeps his distance so she can’t see the gruesome details of his new face. Vulgaris feels inadequate before her, unworthy of basking in her beauty when she radiates everything he desires in this life. A slow sigh breathes from him and he gathers the courage to speak to her before she has to ask him what’s happened.

I’ve made another mistake,” he explains in a voice that comes out rather flat. It’s a defense mechanism, of course, to hide all the monsoon of emotions tossing and turning inside him. “I tried to eat the queen of Hyaline.

He still doesn’t know if the fight was real or just a fraction of some fever dream but he remembers the taste of her blood when she let her guard down. It scares him, knowing that the hunger always finds him when something beautiful and vulnerable is nearby. Vulgaris wants to chase Leliana away before she ever lets him tear her apart. Another part of him wants to take her by the throat and crush her into submission. He wants to kiss her so hard it hurts and tell her that she belongs with him - to him.

I always try to ruin anything good in this world. I want to break everything I can’t have.

The serpent won’t let her heal these wounds, he knows, and so he watches her warily to ensure she doesn’t try. These scars have been earned and he’s one step closer to having a body worthy of who he truly is – an ugly, twisted thing. But he edges closer, starving for her touch and affection even when he doesn’t deserve it. He breathes her in just inches from her skin, inhales the scents of where she’s been. There is something foreign there and the discovery drags a low growl from deep within his belly.

His lips peel back to bear his teeth while his eyes narrow. His skin burns with the insatiable need for violence again. Somehow, it is never fully satisfied.

I’ll chew his spine clean from the rest of him. We’ll have a baptism in blood.
    @[leliana]
    If you don't want him to know about dovev yet just lmk and i'll 100% edit this lol. SORRY HE'S SO INTENSE.
    I see a ghost out on the water; I swear it has my face
    I bend and drink the lonely down, the lonely down

Her heart leaps when she senses him near and then plummets when she turns to see him. His face, beautiful and hard-edged and sharp, is torn apart—the wounds puckered and fresh and written across his features like a storyline. She nearly reaches for him with her gift, the golden light of it pooling in her chest and aching to reach out, but she holds back at the glint in his eye, the steeliness to his voice. Something has changed. Something is different.

She pulls back and watches him, listens to his story, and although her healing stays coiled in her breast, she cannot bear to do the same. She reaches for him, the crimson of her lip sweeping across his forehead and down his cheek, the dried blood flaking off at the motion. She lingers against his jaw and then traces the angles of him, a soft hum building in her throat.

“Shhh,” she murmurs, her voice lilting and soft. “I know who you are.” She finds his gaze and holds it, intentionally looking at him in the eye. “Even when you do not share with me, I know. I won’t ask you to change.” The corner of her mouth curves into a sad smile. “I love you as you are, Vulgaris. I am not afraid.” She knows that he is a predator. She knows that his heart beats for things that she will never understand. She doesn’t understand the drums of war that beat in him, but she knows enough to know that it’s that predatorial hunger that makes him who he is.

She would sooner strip a lion of his need to hunt.

“I see you,” she whispers, “and I love you.”

Even if it doesn’t feel like enough. Even if it feels like such a meager offering, she places it at his feet. And in this moment, pierced by his gaze, her heart in her throat before him, she doesn’t think of her encounter with Dovev. She doesn’t think of the way his mouth has claimed her. Of the ache that he had opened in her heart. Of the wounds made fresh once more.

Until she hears Vulgaris growl.  

Until dark promises blossom in the air between them.

“No,” the word is choked and her insides turn cold. “He’s a ghost from my past.” She can’t bear to tell him that he is the ghost that stripped her clean. That her encounter with him is what led to the scars on her cheek and shoulder—the same scars that engulfed him with such anger before. She cannot bear to tell him the way her heart split at seeing him again.

All she can do is stand before him, hazel eyes pained, and hope that it’s clear that she is here with him. That she made a choice for him, for their daughter, for a life and a love that she has always wanted and somehow still feels impossibly out of her grasp.

I’m gonna stand here in the ache until the levee on my heart breaks

Omg no. Don’t change a thing. It is peeeeeeerfect. Like you and him. <3

@[vulgaris]
    Vulgaris

Even when his face is torn apart and scabbed over, when his scales turn dull in preparation of their spring shed, she traces her lips across him. She promises that she truly knows him and it makes his heart tremble at the idea of being figured out. He blinks slowly as she stares into his emerald eyes and proclaims her acceptance of the whole of him. Her gaze turns a spotlight on all the shadows of his soul and for once they do not cower from the brightness of her. All the crippled shards of who he is stand upright, faces turned toward the sun of her face.

I am not afraid.

She should be. He should tell her to flee and save their child while she still can, while he’s weak and too slow to hunt her down. Leave him while he is chained by his mortality and live the life she deserves, he thinks but never says. Then she speaks again and the words tear through him like a knife of clarity.

I love you,” he whispers in reply. The words escape him before he even realizes that he is speaking and maybe that’s just his subconscious finally speaking up. Maybe the monsters all shackled inside of him have fallen in love with her too. But that’s even more reason to defend what’s his from any who might dare to rise up against him. She is his, now until the edge of eternity. She belongs at his side as the queen of his life.

He listens carefully as she explains that the scent of another is no threat to him or the sanctity of their love. Just a ghost and nothing more. Maybe he should make a true ghost out of him just to be sure. Her words are shaking weakly in the presence of his rage and so they bring him back to the present once again. Vulgaris sighs, slow and agitated, but he grows more gentle by the second until he’s pressing his lips to the corner of hers.

This is all I really am. My life is all gore and violence.” He rests his cheek against hers, rough with torn scales standing like jagged edges. “I want to give you everything beautiful but I don’t know how to be what you deserve.” His fangs trace the curve of her jaw and the lines of her neck as he speaks. This life he has now feels stolen, like he is some imposter and any second the man who truly earned all these things is going to come back for them. That fear is what drives him to crush anything that might take his place. He’s not ready to wake up from this dream.

I’m a rat in a sewer who’s fallen in love with an emporess.
    @[leliana]

There is something beautiful that blossoms between them, but something dangerous. She recognizes it for the viper it is, recognizes the knife to her throat—the blade she holds so willingly. She invites it into her chest, pulling the poisoned air into her lungs and letting it simmer. There is part of her that tells herself that this time it will be different. This time, it will last—he will not tire of her. He will not find another to warm his bed—worse, to warm his heart. She tells herself that he will be true. That his love was rooted.

But there is another part of her.

A part that has been shattered and pieced back together but never made whole. A piece that was made all the worse for her recent interaction with Dovev. A piece that warns her of the gun to her temple, of the way that he will bleed her out and the way that she will let him. It’s enough to cause her to tremble. It is enough to cause her heart to constrict in her chest, all of her worst fears spreading like poison.

Still, she keeps it at bay—reminds herself to be grateful for what he does give, what he can give.

She just presses her forehead into the battered angles of his neck and breathes him in, tries to press the memory of him within her so that she can remember what it was like to be loved by him when he leaves.

“I’ve had my fair share of violence,” she whispers, her voice steady despite the agony curling within her. Then she is shaking her head, frustration causing tears to form in the corners of her eyes. She was so tired of others interpreting what she wanted. She was so tired of being denied because of what others assumed she needed. “I don’t need beautiful,” her plea is soft and laced with anguish. “I don’t need what you think I deserve.” She presses into him, her mouth shy as it reaches for his jaw, as it lingers, as it begins to trace down his face and down his neck, hungry and soft, tasting the angles of him, hungering for more.

“I just want you, Vulgaris. I want all of you.”

A pause, guilt simmering at the demand, as she softens it.

“I want everything you're willing to give.”

it started with a perfect kiss, then we could feel the poison set in

@[vulgaris]
    Vulgaris

This love is everything a man could ever wan – pure and perfect, deepened exponentially by the unborn daughter to winged girl carries. The life that they could have together is a thing of envy but he can’t anchor himself to it the way that he should. Instead he leaves himself adrift in some tumultuous sea where drowning is near certainty. Still, she is something like a life raft and they float together despite whatever storms may come, cradled in one another’s embrace. To onlookers it may resemble the tale of the little girl who finds a snake in the snow, but he’s doing his best not to bite her. She knows what he is but he wants so badly to be better, to outgrow the skin of yesterday and become something admirable.

And yet.. And yet, he wants to be hideous so at least everyone who looks at him will know exactly what he really is. If that were the case, he’d never have to chase them away.

Her pleas are tired and desperate for some kind of love to dig deep into all the quiet places of her. He hears it and he wants to graze his fingers through every sacred part of her soul, to trace the letters of his name inside her so she’ll never forget him when she leaves. (And he’s certain she will someday. Nothing beautiful deserves to suffer alongside him.)

Please don’t ever leave. I’m so tired of being alone,” he confesses once she’s made her demands of him. “Promise me you’ll stay and I’ll give you anything you want.

There it is – his greatest fear rearing its ugly head from the depths of who he is. This is the pit from which his violence and his infidelity spawn, the root of all that is wrong with him. He leans his head against her as her lips explore the entirety of his neck, drawing a content sigh from his lips. Vulgaris is beginning to have enough faith in her that he’s not afraid to peel the veil away from the truest pieces of him. If she says that she wants all of him then he’s willing to swan dive into her love, maybe even drown if that’s what’s meant to be.

Someday we’ll have the life we’ve always dreamed of. I promise.
    @[leliana]

Perhaps theirs was not a love to stand the test of time. Perhaps it will crumble beneath the pressure of all the demons that stand screaming at the door. Perhaps one or both will fall beneath the weight of a loves from their past, the pressure of them too much for mortal spines to bear. Perhaps, but she doesn't know. Right now, with his mouth on her and his emotion blossoming so tenderly between them, she doesn’t care. They are the only thing that matters—the only thing that could feasibly ever matter.

Them and their precious child, growing steadily with each passing day.

At his request, she just sighs, the sound impossibly sad in her mouth, because she knows what it is like to fear losing that which you love. She knows what it is like to cling to the sun and watch your fingers crumble as they try to hold onto it. She knows, and she recognizes the fear in his own voice. So she doesn’t rebuff him or dismiss his worries. She just presses her kisses into the hollow of his throat, into the dip of flesh where his mouth begins. “I won’t leave,” she promises, although she has no way of knowing what way the future will unfurl around them, which way they will be rooted or set adrift.

“I’m yours,” she promises again, pressing that into him. “I’m here.”

She sighs again at his promise, but it is a happier noise this time, something about the moment settled so that she ruffles her wings in contentment. She wants to draw this out forever. She wants to sink into it. She wants to forever remember how happy and at peace she is now with the feel of his scaled shoulders against her and the taste of him on her tongue. And she wants to wash the heaviness away.

Taking the smallest steps away, there is a new light in her eyes, a joy she intends to linger in.

“Vulgaris,” his name is sweet on her lips, “would you like to take a swim with me?”

it started with a perfect kiss, then we could feel the poison set in

@[vulgaris]