• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  say 'I love you' when you're not listening - Breckin

Leilan
    a dragon who couldn't be hurt on the outside
    could have so many ragged holes inside
    He nearly missed it; he’d expected the question, are you calling me an idiot, because, yes he was, at the same time he was calling himself even stupider but still. He did. He did it on purpose too, just to call her out, and he had simply hummed in agreement when he brushed past her to lock out the wind - he could not help but notice that she did not give him permission for annoying her, but since she did not object he would assume silent agreement was still an agreement of sorts. Just nothing permanent, it seemed. Maybe it was just too soon for her to agree to anything permanent but whatever, he’ll just stick around whether she wants him to or not. He keeps telling himself to slow down but he really has a hard time with it - he’s had to wait for her so damn long - exactly where that suggestion of keeping warm had come from, also.

But she again knows how to catch him unexpected, how to leave him tong-tied for a few heartbeats, or longer even. By treating his loosely serious-but-expecting-nothing suggestions, take his lame excuse for a half-joke - and take it serious, calls him out on it. It’s the smile he’s been wanting to see for some time now that takes him aback.

...makes me wonder why you’re still standing over there.

He blinks at her a few times. Wait what? But then the realization is there, and doesn’t know how fast to move to be immediately at her side again, nose pressed into her mane, because that’s the only soft part of him - that, and perhaps his mane, tail, fetlocks and belly (but it’s harder to cuddle and kiss with those parts of him). She could have said anything among the lines of come here, you idiot and he knew he’d always react that way. It’s a command he can never ignore. She’s been queen of his heart since the day after they met, the day he could not shake the memory of her. Ah yes, he’d been stupid enough to think it would not last on the day itself, but she must have stolen a piece of him when he wasn’t looking.

Mulling over her comments still, he moves across her neck and mane in an attempt to clean her from the rain and dry her coat at least somewhat, though she’s wet all over. But he can take all night, he’ll gladly do it, because for her he will do anything. But when his mind reaches the point in time not too long ago when she asked if he was calling the queen of Nerine an idiot, he tugs those creamy white mane gently and retreats his head to look at her, slightly worried again. Because she had said something that hadn’t sat well with him. His comments starts off more lightly but the tone can’t be helped to slowly droop down a little. “So, you’re queen of more than just me now? I’d like to say it befits you, but I mostly know you’re great at it because you look... ” He bites his lip, briefly makes a face because his teeth are too sharp, but otherwise ignores it, ”...a bit tired, honestly. Do you not have enough help? What’s my ugly mother doing for Nerine these days?” He needs to know, he’s sorry to break the spell again but he has to ask. To be frank, with the angst gone, and the immediate cold problem partly solved, he can see she hasn’t been sleeping well. Whether that is his fault or the kingdom’s, if he needs to take another load off her shoulder, then he will. It’s out of the question for her to do all of it alone. Apparently even the spirited Wishbone couldn’t bear it, and rightly so, because his mother always had had a habit of putting young girls on the throne and just stand beside them without intervening, she wasn’t stupid enough to take the crown herself after having worn it. But she expected them to carry the weight alone where she opted not to, even if she had father to fall back on. They might learn best that way perhaps but she could step in earlier to take some of that work away from them. At least in his opinion. Or just advise them to appoint another to a high rank to do it if the bald mare thought herself too busy.

Now, Breckin was a mare grown of course. But still he just couldn’t think of her other than secretly fragile underneath it all. She’s grown mentally stronger of course, since they met, but he was still afraid that when someone pushed a certain button she might tear at that point. Not break - she would be smart enough to move with it like a willow tree instead of an oak. So - as far as he was considered she needed someone in the shadows to chase those majority of the pokers away. If Scorch was capable of taking on some duties like patrol, greeting visitors, and some of the diplomatic visits, then that was all right. If not... if she thought she was too old for that... well. ”You know you can ask for anything, don’t you?” Had he voiced that earlier? Perhaps in other words. Perhaps she’d tied it to the previous context, but it was still true for any other situation. Anything for her. And even if she did not want to ask him anything, there must be others in Nerine to ask. Were there? Would it be enough? Were they enough for this precious mare? He’ll have to go find out before he can leave this kingdom.

Hmm, he supposes that means asking his mother what she’s up to, too, and perhaps apologize depending on how she reacts. Oh well. That meeting is overdue also.
    HTML by Vanilla Custard, picture by x-celebri-x on deviantart

@[Breckin] I am sorry for keeping this on your list of stuff to think about :P he’s not exactly doing what I asked him to (stop talking).
    I tried to keep it relatively open at the end because I don’t know what you want with his suggestion but he is living a life of his own and I guess he has overprotective urges and wants to stay/help -shrug-
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: say 'I love you' when you're not listening - Breckin - by Leilan - 09-18-2018, 07:27 AM