• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Brother where art thou - Simeon

Leilan
    a dragon who couldn't be hurt on the outside
    could have so many ragged holes inside
    He’s changed. Like, a lot. He wonders if his own family would even recognize him, expecting a normal silver bay roan and not one scaly bay roan with metallic gold in his hair, expecting normal brown eyes like his father’s instead of colour changing ones (though they are like his mother’s). Well, surely Scorch will know him. Hestoni had seen the gold before too, and Vi. Any others... not so much. It does run in the family though. Drustan had been born with draconic-looking horns after all. Maybe he’s not that much out of tone - except for the ice maybe.

Not that he expects to meet any of his siblings here. He hasn’t seen most of them at all, and others only before their parents’ death. They’ve all ventured out, he too, some having families and kids (not weird ones like himself but proper families like Hestoni and Scorch always had been an example of themselves). But he doesn’t know what to do in Ischia and isn’t entirely sure if Nerine is the place either. In short, he’s an in-between ghost.

Looking around there’s new babies joining their mothers in the meadow every day now. Spring can be wonderful like that. But he wonders if there’s one of his own with them. Wonders if Breckin ever wants some, or just one. Wonders if he’ll prove as infertile as his parents after having died. With a bit of guilt he remembers how he had stomped around the place a year ago, scaring those fillies and colts that were now yearlings and perhaps wandered around themselves. Perhaps looking for a home. Who knew, right? Perhaps one of them would fit in Ischia, or Nerine. Not that he considers himself a great recruiter, but still, he can offer whenever he’s asked. Hah, loophole - he’s not a Nerinian, so he doesn’t have to offer Loess.

He settles on grazing for now, though his new teeth are less suited for that - more suited for battle, for hurt, but that doesn’t mean his digestive system has turned around or anything, so he has to make do. Perhaps today will prove interesting. Perhaps it won’t.
    HTML by Vanilla Custard, picture by x-celebri-x on deviantart

@[Simeon]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    as the winds blow, so will I know...
    His urge to wander is a living thing inside him. Like the rise and fall of the tide on the beach, or like the way the winds blow when a storm gathers. It pulls him and he must answer the call. To distant horizons, to see things he's never seen before. To feel different forms of the earth beneath him, to meet different types of people. It all could be so exciting. Too see how far his body could take him, how truly powerful he was- even without the powers given to many in the land of Beqanna. He'd never needed any of that. There was this power all his own within him, and this time, it had called him back home. With the passing of his parents, he'd needed to be away- needed to grieve the way only he could. Too soon. It'd been too soon that they'd gone together from this world. He'd had family here, siblings and other blood, but they all had their own thing going. In the end, his urges won him over and he'd had to go. But he never forgot them. Knew that one day he'd be back and could reunite with them and see how they all had changed. What the Scortoni legacy had become.

With the coming of a spring storm, the clouds swarm overhead, a bit dark and gloomy. The wind rustles through trees in forewarning. And thunder rumbles softly in the distance. He loves storms, feels in tune to the natural power of the world. There is a harmonious thrum of his heart and hoofbeats as he moves in time to the music of it. The wind and the birds chattering. He runs more than dances, but there is a rhythm and grace to him that he has perfected over the years. His nose is tucked in so his neck muscles are flexed, frosted black mane tapping against his roany hide with each collected stride. Adrenaline flows through him, a familiar burn through his veins. The feel of his muscles bunching and contracting as he carries himself tirelessly back over known territory. Into the Meadow; one of his favorite places in Beqanna. Leaping over obstacles and striding through the trees, he finally slows once he's passed well into the land. He smiles as bi-colored eyes scan over the horses scattered about, his breaths already coming even. The meadow was always a place where any could come, with no pressure or expectations. You never know who you'll come across here, stranger or friend. Although the former was more the case for him now, having been gone for a time and seeing none a familiar face. And new faces to the world over as well, he notices a few foals with their mothers. He nods to one set as he passes, a polite smile on his lips even as a small pang rings through his chest. The oldest son of Hestoni and Scorch, and he'd never had a family. Some legacy he was. Although theirs had been a love to match none other, in his eyes. Call him a romantic, but he had been waiting for something similar. He had always thought one day he would find her- the one he could love for an eternity. Hell, at this rate though, perhaps he was better off just taking what he could get.

Shaking his head clear of such thoughts, he wanders through the meadow at an easy pace, finding a familiar tree that he had always thought was a good scratching post in the spring time. Indulging himself for a moment, loosening up a bit of shagginess from the passing of winter, his gaze continues to roam the field in search of someone to perhaps strike a conversation with. It isn't until he spots the other bay roan covered in scales with gold and silver in his mane that his curiosity is truly peaked. Making his way over to him, Sim studies the other stallion as he grazes with those shark teeth of his. Fascinating. The roan and scales on his body, the strange eyes. It's really the eyes that give him the clue. His mother had very similar ones. His heart skips at the possibility of another brother (full of females, their family), or perhaps another such blood relative, but he didn't want to be presumptuous. Beqanna is full of traited horses, some similar in ways to others. Still, there are enough similarities to him that he has a strong feeling about it. This male is a bit thicker in bone than Sim, reminding him a lot of Shahrizai, so he moves to make an introduction. "Hello there." A small, unimposing smile and dip of his head. "Scusami for intruding on you, signore." His voice is rich and accented with the language he'd learned from his pa; only some words- the rest he'd picked up elsewhere to honor the man. "My name is Simeon. Perhaps you knew my parents? Scorch and Hestoni?" His two-toned eyes are sparked with interest as he awaits his answer. Better to be forward with his question, he surmised. Although really, who would have thought that the first person he'd meet upon returning to Beqanna would happen to be a brother of his?
    as the grasses grow, so will I go…
    as far as the skies will take me nothing can break me…
    as the winds blow

First post with him in sooo long! Hope it's not terrible <3

Leilan
    Grazing proves substantially different from what it used to be. He's forced to tear off the grass more than chew it, and eyes the bushes nearby, wondering if it wouldn't be easier to try and eat more fruits or roots. His thoughts on family temporarily forgotten, his eyes narrow at the bush as it sways in an upcoming wind - as if defying his very idea to eat it, maybe the thing is alive? Or maybe someone is teasing him. Maybe someone is in there. Someone with magic, like Noori has (not that he ever met her, but Wrynn did, and his mother knows how to tell a story or how to name her ten children and describe them, should he ever run into a sibling; she would never forgive them for walking past one another, at least, she wouldn't forgive the younger ones, since she had told them about their older siblings, hadn't she?).

He's the lucky number seven, though in the end, not that lucky at all. He remembers the day of their birth vaguely (he hadn't come alone) - Wrynn arrived after him, but their mother had shunned her immediately. She's not a roan, he knows but, there had been something more. Hestoni had been much more forgiving, but Scorch... 'she's not one of us' would sometimes still make his head shoot up and look around in the middle of the night. He'd still chosen his mother's side - just to make things even - and he had never had the kind of relationship twins should have. How could he know that his twin had been magically tempered with to resemble the magician that had betrayed his mother? Camrynn?

But neither did Volcan and Vi have a good twin relationship, to be honest. He can't complain, at least he knows who his twin is although she has been wandering (just like he himself had) and he hasn't seen her since the day he walked out of Beqanna; not very long after the death of his parents. Apparently, their other children weren't lovable or important enough to stay, he'd thought. Something he had held against them for a long time since, though he knows now why his mother couldn't move on. He's too much like her, not to know. Too easily giving one emotion all of their energy, the both of them. And too stubborn to change their minds.

If he resembled anyone of his siblings though, he was a male Ea, as far as he remembers. Maybe taking more after the Friesian lineage. But Ea has died a long time ago, sometime during his away, where apparently time moved slower than here. Since his return, he's changed a lot, but not unrecognizably so, maybe - earned some metallic gold and a frosty aura trait in the Beqanna Games, which since that time miraculously evolved into a more offensive, dragonic ice thing (recent enough that he links it to meeting the Ice Fairy). Has died and been brought back to life, to discover he may never die for real (never meet Ea in the Afterlife) - never poke a fairy, guys. She'll do exactly opposite of what you think you want. Has been bitten by a Kelpie, bringing out scales and teeth and a dragon vision trait so much like Scorch's. And his mother hasn't even seen all those things on him, he realizes; he hasn't visited her since before climbing the mountain, because they had clashed (too alike, told you so) and lashed out at one another when he was so angry. He should have sought her out earlier, if Breckin hadn't been in Nerine with her.

Ah, Breckin. The source of all the trouble in his life. Okay, that was exaggerating. Maybe he just was a dumb, headstrong, idiot. Still, she was too (in a way, though she was still far smarter than him of course). But he was not apologizing but going on a rampage instead. Hung out with other girls. To be fair, that was some time ago by now, and he likes to think he has grown from the experience (though mostly from the Ice Fairy telling him he's an idiot and showing him what life would be like without him, but hey, some things are just too stupid to admit out loud, or even just silently admit to oneself).

It had probably earned him some children, admittedly not something he was very proud of, and yet, still was, because Chryseis was such a beautiful lively girl. He can only hope that if any other fake-romance he's had last fall had been fruitful, they turn out similar to their yearling sister. Which reminds him. It's almost her birthday. He shouldn't be in the meadow, he should go to Hyaline.

He looks up from staring at the tree, eyes scanning the horizon. No babies with metallic gold on them this time, thank heavens (though, any roan foal would be eyed suspiciously, as well as any baby carrying the silver gene he shared with his sister Ea). At least, he didn't see any as far as he could see right now. Which meant basically nothing. Roseen must be somewhere in Loess, or Sylva since Arthas had moved there, or maybe she even had sought refuge in Hyaline or Nerine. Thalassa still in Hyaline - oops, maybe he had made a mistake there. There was a highly likely chance that Thal would run into Briseis. Or that Breckin did; Nerine was so close to the mountains. He had no idea about Jenova - she might be anywhere, or in hiding.

Again, let's just hope that he hasn't sired too many children and that Breckin never finds them if he did.

Idle hope of course. He knows that she'll find out. She's a smart one. But what can he say? She left him, and left him hurt, so how could she be angry that he had tried to move on. With three mares at one season, all failing to keep his interest longer than the day. Ah, well, shit.

All in all, he's a heck of a mess memory-wise. So much so that he'd verbally fought with his mother, a random stranger, then a fairy, jumped off the mountain, got eaten by a mermaid, and finally, finally sought her out. But that's a whole story on it's own. We were talking the meadow here. Oh, and eating with his new sharp teeth. Thanks, mermaid. You should have eaten me when you had the chance, instead of letting me come back to life.

Needless to say, grazing is difficult and boring, and the newly scaled roan still has trouble switching visions - but sees the other male come his way from way, way afar. Ah, that's the trick then, why his mother would always find him whenever he tried to sneak away. He really should talk to Scorch soon. Tell her he's a better dragon. She'll like that (probably not).

But when the bay roan opens his mouth, he blinks at the man without a word, a few times. Shakes his head automatically, "non è niente," and then gives him a wide, slightly too toothy grin (he should stop that but grinning is his base-face so he can't help it), a small laugh bursting from his lips as he tries not to tell him he's an idiot. Like himself. The world is full of idiots. Unsurprisingly they all have some sort of home in Nerine. Nerine is the kingdom of idiots. He should tell Breckin that she is the queen of the idiots... sometime. When she's not angry with him.

"Knew? Oh man, you've definitely been away too long. Mother's like a weed, you know. Keeps creeping where others don't go. She always fit too well in the Jungle." Ah, well. That's Leilan there, then. Making stupid jokes, being the idiot at all times. Who could blame him? He was a boy in a Jungle full of Amazons, twin to a sister with much greater talents back then, like talking to their dead sister Rain. And cute as hell. No wonder he's always craving attention - if he didn't ask for it in any way possible, he didn't get it, back then. Still, he loves his family, so he shrugs at Simeon. "Nice to finally meet you, Simeon. I'm Leilan. But I guess after all those sisters of ours, you just loose count and don't remember names."

@[Simeon] You give me word vomit, so I shall vomit words in return ~new life motto~
    |
    as the winds blow, so will I know...
    His gaze remains intent on the man, watching his face as he processes Sim's words. As he blinks at him and then shakes his head, then replies in the same tongue, "It's nothing." Simeon can't stop the spread of his lips into a grin as well, matching that of the scaled one before him, though lacking the dragon fangs. It isn't often he meets one who speaks the language he knows, which only furthers his thoughts. He waits though, still eager for the answer to his question. When it comes, he stands equal parts befuddled and excited. Grin fades to a loosening of his jaw. He'd had the suspicion of the man perhaps being a sibling, but then to have it confirmed and in the same moment comprehending what he'd said about his- their- mom.. Shit, one thing at a time. "Leilan.. Fratello.." It's soft when he says it, processing the idea of another younger brother, instantly shaming himself for not being around to meet him sooner. Coming around, he shakes his head and smiles again, chuckling lightly at the comment of sisters. "I always thought mom's estrogen levels played a part in all the girls she had. Too much of it, y'know? Had to go somewhere." A deeper laugh. Scorch may have skinned him a little for that one, but he means it with the most affection, and lets the love for her show in his expression.

Sobering, he looks over the other male- his brother, by the gods. "You said Mama is like a weed. Does that mean-" He eyes the face of the other, for sincerity, although it was silly to think he would joke about something like this. "How long? Merda.." He laughs lightly, his gaze breaking away from Leilan's so that he could look to the skies and then down again. He supposes he shouldn't be incredibly surprised. Things like this simply happened here in this strange, magical land. And perhaps he ought to have known the force that was- well, is, apparently- his mother would be too strong to be held down by death. Bless that woman. Ears perking forward, Sim's gaze returns to the other's. "What about Papa? Is he back too?" Oh, so many questions. About them, and about him too. Away too long, indeed. He can't wait to know this brother. And to find out what his family has been up to of late. Aside from returning to the land of the freaking living.
    as the grasses grow, so will I go…
    as far as the skies will take me nothing can break me…
    as the winds blow

Shorter this time :p Figure I better let Leilan get in his reply. Sim's mind is blown XD
    OOC: just because funsy name mashup. 0.o

Leilan
    The bay roan before him, has a similar kind of smell, a familiar-but-different one. Like any of his sisters, but then more masculine. Of course, there's unknown scents mixing into his coat, as much as there are, to his older brother, on himself (mostly in his mane though, there might be the scent of a particular mare's breath even though he's taken the walk through the common lands this morning to even get here). And of course, the roaning on the both of them can never be ignored; even if perhaps Simeon takes after some of their grandparents more than the others and Leilan has more of their grandfather in him, for those who look well, they're too similar to ignore. He just would have looked the better part last year, lacking the scales and teeth and eyes then.

Cocking his head a little at the much older stallion, he seems to latch on to the joke well enough, chiming in with his own, talking about estrogen having to go somewhere. The scaled roan grinned at that. "I have a twin sister to show for it, but I just hope you didn't get too much of it." But the bay roan before him is already lost to the world it seems, processing his other comment. Scorch is definitely a weed, as far as he knows. He himself, too apparently. How long?

But Leilan doesn't know exactly, and shakes his head. "I don't know. Trekori said she was here when I got back. Seems some decades had passed where I could swear it would have been two years." He frowns, then shrugs. "Magic, I guess."

His tail catches a fly, and he nods at the second question. "Guess she couldn't leave him behind. Or no, wait he got back later... I think when I was in Loess. Yes, that must be it." he muses, breaking his head over the timeline. Ah, well. He had been a little preoccupied back then, and after, though he was glad he had been able to meet his dad again. And hear he'd almost stomped into Loess to claim him back, although there was no need. Or see his eyes gleam and joke about whatever it was Scorch had decided to gossip on.

Though, he hadn't really seen the both of them for some time now. Scorch, yes, Hestoni, even longer ago. Hmm. "I'll take you to them if you like. Though... you should probably know that the last time I spoke with mother we had a bit of a falling-out." Just so he knows he's going to get into either a pretty tense situation or one completely overrun with snuggles - you never knew with that one. The matter had been settled for Leilan by now, but he hadn't seen Scorch yet to tell her about it.

@[Simeon] did you want to end it here? maybe you can start a thread in Nerine?
    |